CanJam SoCal 2015, March 28-29, 2015
Feb 1, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #376 of 1,339

Uh oh. If I make it there, it has to be only one day (Saturday). Hopefully it won't be real bad as I am not paying a spendy entrance fee to stand and wait in a line for 2 hours or more just to see an amp or something. Popularity and a crowd is one thing, nature of the beast, but ludicrous is another thing entirely.

LOL, I don't think anyone in their wildest imagination is referring to 2 hour lines. We're just saying it might make sense to pre-plan which exhibitors you want to visit, especially for those attending for one day only. So this is definitely a "popularity and a crowd" kinda thing.

Feb 2, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #377 of 1,339
  To keep people from waiting in line too long, we've opted for a wicked cool badge printing system this time.  All you'll have to do is scan your Eventbrite QR or bar code, and your badge will print out in about four seconds.  In fact, it's faster to live print a badge than it is to search for a pre-printed badge.  So not only can we not print both sides, but Eventbrite doesn't even support the use of alternate IDs, like Head-Fi handles.  So we can't print Head-Fi handles at all.  
frown.gif

Well so what if I register at the door and use my head-fi handle when I sign in ?
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #378 of 1,339

To keep people from waiting in line too long, we've opted for a wicked cool badge printing system this time.  All you'll have to do is scan your Eventbrite QR or bar code, and your badge will print out in about four seconds.  In fact, it's faster to live print a badge than it is to search for a pre-printed badge.  So not only can we not print both sides, but Eventbrite doesn't even support the use of alternate IDs, like Head-Fi handles.  So we can't print Head-Fi handles at all.  
frown.gif

Well so what if I register at the door and use my head-fi handle when I sign in ?
biggrin.gif

Warren will make you give the Head-Fi gang sign!  
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #380 of 1,339

LOL, I don't think anyone in their wildest imagination is referring to 2 hour lines. We're just saying it might make sense to pre-plan which exhibitors you want to visit, especially for those attending for one day only. So this is definitely a "popularity and a crowd" kinda thing.

That makes good sense. Should be easy for me since I'm only interested in a small handful of manufactures/vendors, if that. 

Feb 2, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #383 of 1,339
  Two days isn't going to be enough...

Yeah, this got way bigger than I expected when I signed up!  Not that I'm complaining, just... wow!  This is gonna be fun.  
k701smile.gif

Feb 2, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #386 of 1,339
I have a comment and two more questions

First I just want to mention - for those of you who are only interested in a select number of vendors, I would strongly encourage you to try something new and think outside the box. It's a big and evolving world of music and audio products alike, and just sticking to what you know will greatly limit the potential for what you can experience and learn from. Like if I were to have gone to a head-fi meeting back in '07 with only the intention of trying Denon and Etymotic then I would have missed the chance at Hifiman, AKG, Soundmagic, Beoplay and some brand new names that just came out yesterday which could completely knock the socks of off what I already knew!

Next I think my question was overlooked, so I wanted to ask the leaders about the possibility that some of the head-fi members can optionally stay about an hour later after closing; for more chat and demoing personal gear?

Also, since it seems the event is filling up, would it be advisable / necessary for the member-showcases to reserve a spot at a table in advance - if you think there may not be enough room for us to set up our personal gear at the event? Thanks
happy_face1.gif

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #387 of 1,339
Feb 2, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #388 of 1,339
  First I just want to mention - for those of you who are only interested in a select number of vendors, I would strongly encourage you to try something new and think outside the box.

Yes, very good point! This is an incredibly exciting time for personal audio with many new products coming to market. Pre-planning is really advised to maximize time, we will also be providing more detailed exhibitor information so that you know what products are being shown, and where. We will also be providing meet programs/maps which will help attendees navigate through the show.

Next I think my question was overlooked, so I wanted to ask the leaders about the possibility that some of the head-fi members can optionally stay about an hour later after closing; for more chat and demoing personal gear?

The exhibits will run from 9am-6pm on Saturday and 9am-5pm on Sunday. Since so many exhibitors and head-fiers alike will be spending Friday and Saturday night at the the hotel, there should be plenty of opportunities to connect with fellow head-fiers and exhibitors, as well as demo personal gear outside of the regular hours. 

Also, since it seems the event is filling up, would it be advisable / necessary for the member-showcases to reserve a spot at a table in advance -you think there may not be enough room for us to set up our personal gear at the event? Thanks
happy_face1.gif

The Member Showcase is primarily designed for head-fiers to demo gear that would otherwise not be available to demo at the show. As an example, we have some incredible DIY builders in the community and this is a great opportunity to showcase their work. We'll be posting more details and guidelines on the Member Showcase soon, so stay tuned.

Feb 3, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #389 of 1,339
  Congratulations on setting the new record for number of exhibitors!   Booooooy, howdy - this will be a TOUGH act to follow for the Bay Area Head-Fi'ers. :wink:

FWIW, we did the last SF Head-Fi Meet, so we'd only be competing with ourselves.  That said, Ethan and I see CanJam SoCal as a west coast event, and welcome the entire western seaboard, particularly our Bay Area brethren.  
smile.gif
  It may be "SoCal" in name, but it's everywhere-west-of-the-rockies in spirit.

CanJam 2015 to end up with around 500-600+ in attendance.....

Unfortunately, attendance is the one thing we cannot control.  That is up to all of you fine gentlemen, and possibly one or more of the six women known to be on Head-Fi.  To anyone inclined to help, please feel free to jack my avatar, and put a link to this thread in your signature.  Stuff like that helps to get the word out, as it can be seen throughout all of your posts going back to the dawn of time.  

The addition of speaker rooms is totally awesome! Because sometimes you gotta move around without headphones while listening, or share music with a group. Using studio monitors as a secondary reference while mastering is also a necessary evil. (not really evil tho).

Thanks, we hope it's a successful experiment.  And yes, agreed, speakers are not evil.  
smile.gif

Hopefully it won't be real bad as I am not paying a spendy entrance fee to stand and wait in a line for 2 hours or more just to see an amp or something.

What you're describing is Fujiya Avic, which is a different show entirely.  
evil_smiley.gif

biggrin.gif

To make sure you show up, Ima need your firstborn as a deposit, so you can bet I'll want your name as well!  
biggrin.gif
  For those not in on the joke, UmustBKidn has enthusiastically signed up for every meet we've ever done, but never shown up once.  He is effectively our "unicorn" attendee.

Warren will make you give the Head-Fi gang sign!  
biggrin.gif

Word, yo!

And in case you're wondering, yes we really do flash it.

Two days isn't going to be enough...

No, but it's better than one day, which is what Ethan and I (stupidly) did last year for the SoCal meet.  
redface.gif

Actually, let's think about this for a second.  CanJam @ RMAF had 40 exhibitors in the RMEC and an additional 7-8 exhibitors in the Atrium.  That show lasted three days, with each day spanning about 8 hours.  So covering CanJam @ RMAF in totality requires that you visit 8 exhibitors per day, or one every hour.  CanJam SoCal has 60+ exhibitors (so far) spread out over two days, which means that you'd need to spend no more than 16 minutes with each exhibitor to cover the whole thing.

Of course, you do understand what this means right?  There's no way you can cover the whole thing - though we're all going to try I'm sure.  But hey, that's kinda how we roll here in SoCal.  If we only whelmed you, would y'all cry out as loudly for CanJam SoCal 2016 to be a week long and to coincide with spring break?  I think not.  Oh darn, did I just leak a spoiler?  
wink.gif

Also, since it seems the event is filling up, would it be advisable / necessary for the member-showcases to reserve a spot at a table in advance - if you think there may not be enough room for us to set up our personal gear at the event? Thanks
happy_face1.gif

Okay, since this has come up a few times, I might as well address it now.

As we have planned it all along, we are dedicating a decent portion of space to the member showcase.  But even from the very start, we knew that there would be no way we could accommodate everyone.  It's just not possible.  The strength of the Head-Fi community overall, combined with the dedication of West Coast Head-Fiers in particular, is enough to book out an entire hotel with no exhibitors at all.  In fact, we have already blown way past budget to secure more space, on two successive occasions, so that we could fit additional exhibitors without having to eat into free member space.

Anyway, because we knew that we could not accommodate everyone, we made the decision to have a curated Member Showcase showing some of the best, rarest, craziest, and best sounding rigs on the planet.  An example of something like this would be @gilency's rig that I heard a couple of years back... or the wonderful work of Mr. Frank Cooter.

No offense to anyone that has the following rig, but it can't just be someone with an O2 and an M50.  FWIW, I myself have an O2 and an M50, so I'm definitely not bagging on anyone.  I'm just saying, it needs to be something remarkable to show to the world, and not necessarily something that is common enough to have been heard by many Head-Fiers already (or otherwise at the show via an exhibitor).

To that end, I have taken the liberty of making a list of members who have some very special rigs, and will be contacting them very soon to finalize arrangements.  Based on their availability, we'll be releasing unclaimed space after they are sorted out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back