CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 2, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #692 of 955
Don't forget the Echobox Explorer (DAP), which I think is supposed to retail in the $300 range. And the Echobox Finder IEMs, set to go for around $200 (and which I thought were significantly better than the Atomic Floyds).

Which specific Atomic Floyd model did you think was significantly worse than the Echobox Finder (assuming you meant the Finder X1)?

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #693 of 955
I tried several Atomic Floyd models, and none of them worked for my ears very well. The SuperDart Ti phones were seriously insensitive (I had to crank my iPhone 6+ to almost 80% to get reasonable volume) and were a bit on the hot side with very annoying sibilance. Maybe if I'd used a different amp, but the Finders sounded good out of my phone, or out of the Explorer.

The HiDefDrum phones were a bit better, but still had sibilance problems and just didn't feel great in my ears. Also, I was really unimpressed with their soundstage and separation. They were okay on simpler music, but were overwhelmed when a lot of things were going on at the same time. 

The other ones I tried were just downhill from there.

Apr 2, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #695 of 955
       This was my first headphone meet and CanJam experience of my life. I'm still relatively new to the whole scene and found out that this community is one of the best I've ever seen in my life. I was actually quite nervous since I have seen the various graphs, measurements, and how most audiophiles there compared to me were VERY knowledgeable compared to me. I felt like I almost didn't fit in before I went and would see my audiophile friends talk about these seemingly foreign things when it came to headphones, and audio in general. I can barely identify a feel of a sound stage, and still am not familiar with identifying low, mids, highs, treble, etc. and the list goes on. Personally I wanted to go a meet in general ever since I heard the music in such a way that only could be experienced with these high end headphones.

I helped setup and then when I was no longer needed I had become nervous as to where to start. I had barely heard any headphones, on a select amount of amps or just from a phone as a source. I had no idea of which amps I should try, or how to operate some of these setups in a way where I felt comfortable just plugging in my phone or listening to the demo songs. But then I found out that everyone is really nice and helps you even if you're new. The press conferences that were there winded up, more likely than not, understandable even to a newcomer to the scene. I also had the honor to work as part of the event staff. I asked around and although in the beginning it was a very surreal and intimidating feeling I came out of CanJam wanting more of this world, and see why my audiophile friends love it so much.  

I came into the event with a pair of HiFiMAN HE-400s with a malfunctioned cable as my only gear hoping to get a new cable and left with a Fiio E9, some Atomic Floyd AirJax Titanium2 IEMs, and won a raffle prize of the Phillips X2/27 Fidelios and got a replacement cable. I was so surprised I got the luck I did in getting these items considering my budget, and now only lacking a portable amp. I previously thought for a long time when I would look at my audiophile friends gear that I'd probably be only able to enter this world after I got a better budget, but now I realize it's not as difficult to make, as @moedawg140 had told me, the leap of faith from a normal listener of music to an audiophile.

Thank you all so much for making this one of the best experiences of my life, and for being so friendly! 
Edit: I'd like to go into more detail, but not sure if this is already a post that is too long for a reply.

Hey man nice seeing you post in the thread 
biggrin.gif

Hope you enjoy those X2 as they are some sweet cans. Also don't forget to out a V-moda boom pro mic on it:
http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-BoomPro-Gaming-Headset-Headphone/dp/B00BJ17WKK/

It is a seriously convenient way to make a headset! Also you mentioned some custom buttons for my fight stick to replace its noisy stock buttons. Can't for the life of me remember the name of the ones you recommended to me. Hope head fi treats you well 
biggrin.gif

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Apr 2, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #696 of 955
I tried several Atomic Floyd models, and none of them worked for my ears very well. The SuperDart Ti phones were seriously insensitive (I had to crank my iPhone 6+ to almost 80% to get reasonable volume) and were a bit on the hot side with very annoying sibilance. Maybe if I'd used a different amp, but the Finders sounded good out of my phone, or out of the Explorer.

The HiDefDrum phones were a bit better, but still had sibilance problems and just didn't feel great in my ears. Also, I was really unimpressed with their soundstage and separation. They were okay on simpler music, but were overwhelmed when a lot of things were going on at the same time. 

The other ones I tried were just downhill from there.

The SuperDarts were the ones that had the emphasis on treble, and the SuperDarts Titanium was the IEM that tamed the high treble and possible perceived sibilance of the SuperDarts. Kind of like going from white to possibly filter-less for the Shure SE846 (SuperDarts) and blue to possibly white filters for the Shure SE846 (SuperDarts Titanium). I also used my small size SpinFit tips (with iPhone 6) and that made the seal very isolated, and the fit was very comfortable for my good ear and cauliflower ear.

It was nice meeting you, Mr Practical!  And yeah, you can just take it really slow with purchasing audio equipment if you want, or purchase as much stuff as humanly possible!  Being able to listen to a lot of equipment at CanJam and discussing what type of sound signature you are seeking with other knowledgeable Head-Fiers are a couple of the best ways (if not the best ways) to find out what sound signature is best to your ears and what type of audio equipment you are willing to purchase that is within your budget (or not!) to attempt to reach your own auditory bliss.  See you at the next event! 

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #698 of 955
Apr 2, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #699 of 955

Currently it's not, no.  It'll be back tho, because it was a huge success.  And there are generally plenty floating around the classified section.  

Wish we knew about when it would be back and where. Even though I only had 4 minutes with it and about one minute of music, so I still don't know how they perform, I'd grab one anyway.

I'd like to avoid MassDrop though because there is a clause in the rules that states that you have to play it like stocks and monitor 24/7 for the duration of the (bidding? I'm not sure what it's called, perhaps "offer") and be ready take away your bid and then quickly put it back as the price changes or something like that or you could end up paying a much higher price for the item you want.
It's murky to me, but all I know is that I can't get involved in something like that. I don't have the time, skills or money. Plus you have to give them your credit card up front before you bid and I don't dig that at all.

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #700 of 955
Wow the love for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon just keeps coming! Really makes me miss attending, hopefully LiqCarb is at RMAF.
Would be even better to own one by then perhaps!?

Anyone with release date guesstimates or power specs?

It should be there. If nothing else I'll bring mine along for the show.

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #701 of 955
  Wish we knew about when it would be back and where. Even though I only had 4 minutes with it and about one minute of music, so I still don't know how they perform, I'd grab one anyway.

I'd like to avoid MassDrop though because there is a clause in the rules that states that you have to play it like stocks and monitor 24/7 for the duration of the (bidding? I'm not sure what it's called, perhaps "offer") and be ready take away your bid and then quickly put it back as the price changes or something like that or you could end up paying a much higher price for the item you want.
It's murky to me, but all I know is that I can't get involved in something like that. I don't have the time, skills or money. Plus you have to give them your credit card up front before you bid and I don't dig that at all.

The way I understand it, you can set it up so that you'll only buy an item if enough people sign up to make the lowest price available. I've never used it, though.

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #702 of 955

That's really not how it works. You're overcomplicating it. You just commit to buy at the lowest price, and they don't charge your card until enough other people also commit. Then you just wait for the drop to finish. If not enough people join to hit the best price, you don't get charged.

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #703 of 955

mmm... I've used massdrop for a few years and that sorta thing has never happened to me.

Basically, you can either 'commit' to the lowest price (so you will only be charged if enough buyers join to unlock the lowest price) or just 'buy' which will mean that you will definitely get the item regardless of the final price. While the drop is open, you can cancel your order any time. I have never experienced Massdrop arbitrarily increasing the price from the set pricing originally listed, but sometimes they do unlock a lower price tier if the item is popular enough.

Their customer service is quite good and I have never run into any issues using massdrop. If you only want the lowest set price, you just need to sign up for items using the 'commit button' rather than the 'buy button/.'

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #704 of 955

As a long-time MassDrop user that's not how they work at all. You have two options with MassDrop - 1) "Join now", and 2) "Commit to join at $X". 

Here's how they explain it (From the MassDrop FAQ): "If you click the "Join Now" button and the drop is successful, you will purchase the product even if it doesn't reach the lowest price point. If you click the "Commit to join" button, you will only purchase the product if the lowest price point is reached. Once you "Commit to join," you can change to "Join Now" at any time before the drop ends.

What this means is if you only want to purchase the item if it reaches the lowest listed price point (say $123 for example) then select "Commit to join at $123". However, if you want to buy it no matter which price point it ends up at then select "Join now". And if you do select "Join now" and are committed to buy no matter the outcome you'll only pay the final price point, so if it hits the lowest price point then that is what you pay. 

In my experience it it's a drop for something good (say the 7XX's) then the top volume/lowest price point is almost always achieved. 

The main thing to be aware of is that it can sometimes take a while for the orders to be shipped after the drop ends, so don't expect rapid fulfillment. 

Cheers 

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #705 of 955
Ha! So it looks like a few other of our friends here were writing the same explanation while I was crafting mine. Sorry for the repetition then. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back