CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #406 of 955
  Ha ha... Yes, everyone was very nice and no sales pressure what so ever. Yes, the timidness in us non-audiophiles is in our heads. 
My only issue is that nobody ever showed me how to operate the sources. They would just watch me struggle until I gave up and walked away. I don't know why they could not take a few seconds and help me out. It's not as if they needed to do a half hour training session. Just show me the very basics like how to get to the music and change it and make it play. 
As for putting headphones on backwards, hell I still do that at least 25% of time and I too did it once at this can jam, but I caught myself.
redface.gif

Were you too timid to ask for help?? I asked for help and got assistance on every occasion. People can't read minds. Just speak up next time. People don't bite.

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #408 of 955
  Hmmm thats not a bad price?

what do you mean PM-3 loaner program

http://www.head-fi.org/t/760203/oppo-pm-3-portable-planar-magnetic-headphones-loaner-program

If you're interested, I highly recommend you sign up.  I tried the PM-2 loaner and it was fantastic.  Looking forward to trying the PM-3 in home for a week.

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #409 of 955
  Ha ha... Yes, everyone was very nice and no sales pressure what so ever.

Yeah it was really good.  I asked people opinions about other vendors directly asking about headphone that would be same price point with similar features on three occasions they all gave me a honest straight answer and didn't try to steal lime light.  Everyone was great to talk too.

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #410 of 955
I wish I could go...Sigh...

Well, from you guys' posts, it seems that many audio companies are aiming at High-end portable AMPs or DAC/AMPs this year. I am also very interested in buying one, but which one? Hopefully you guys can make a comparison.  

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #411 of 955
PHEW, I finally got finished catching up with family, classes early in the morning, sleep (sort of), and just reading all the posts since last Friday. Coming out of the show, I've been blown away, not necessarily by the gear, but by the people, the events, and just the sheer amount of things I got to experience. It was absolutely overwhelming for me, and I'm still trying to make sense of it all. But first of all, I would like to thank everyone who made this show possible, especially JH Audio for their last minute donation. I don't think I have the ability to voice my gratitude any better, and I think it would make more sense for me to keep participating and one day give back as much as I have gotten. Well, I'd like to keep showing up to meet-ups anyway, of course. And I also have to thank @Stillhart for his kind-spirited comment about me. Love you man. Thanks also to everyone who helped get me on my way, @sonictransducer, @dallan , and @Sam Edwards

There's so much else I could say, so many impressions I could give, but so little time. Since yesterday, I've been having revelations and new curiosities about things, even while in classes. CanJam has been a very clarifying experience for me. I can see my path to great personal audio a lot better now. 

I also wanted to add in that I'm very disheartened and honestly disgusted by the thieves who took advantage of the vendors. They really didn't deserve this kind of treatment. Another thing I was perhaps annoyed by, or sad because of, was the volume people were listening at. Not only were they probably ruining their own ears, but they making the experience worse for people in their immediate vicinity, as can be seen from other similar reports. I definitely would have gotten MUCH better impressions of the gear if it wasn't so loud a lot of the time. I think this CanJam really was less of a meet-up, and in this case, perhaps it would have been a good idea to set some restrictions, or teach people proper procedures, before letting them get all up in the gear. 

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #413 of 955
  Does anyone know if all the winners from the giveaway have been emailed?

I apparently won a pair of Oppo PM-2s, and was emailed directly by Oppo about an hour ago. So, it seems like it's up to whoever offered the prize to email the winners and get their info. 

I haven't had a chance to experiment with new phones in a while, so this will be excellent! 

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #414 of 955
  I apparently won a pair of Oppo PM-2s, and was emailed directly by Oppo about an hour ago. So, it seems like it's up to whoever offered the prize to email the winners and get their info. 

I haven't had a chance to experiment with new phones in a while, so this will be excellent! 

That's great!!!  I have a pair of PM-2s arriving tomorrow. The bad news is they are only on loan for a week. 
frown.gif

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #415 of 955
How much is the cavalli carbon go for? I heard 500 to 700, is that price correct. Thanks for your time.

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #417 of 955
How much is the cavalli carbon go for? I heard 500 to 700, is that price correct. Thanks for your time.

That's what they've been saying. Pricing isn't finalized as the unit isn't finalized.

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #418 of 955
The HE-1000s getting mixed reviews? Sound like the hype train is about to derail.  I may end up saving myself $3000. Could it be that by making the sound darker Fang has messed up the soundstage?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #419 of 955
  The HE-1000s getting mixed reviews? Sound like the hype train is about to derail.  I may end up saving myself $3000. Could it be that by making the sound darker Fang has messed up the soundstage?  Inquiring minds want to know.

When I heard it, it was just the opposite, I felt like the bass in recordings were better placed in 3D space than the other parts. This could also be due to the noise from the environment just washing out the details so I couldn't hear and judge them better. The HE-1000 needs a better listen. I think most of the headphones shown at the event, except some cases of closed ones and IEMs, could do a lot better without the event noise as well. 

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #420 of 955
That's what they've been saying. Pricing isn't finalized as the unit isn't finalized.
Thanks for answering my question. It is appreciated. If the price holds out, the cavalli liquid carbon will be a great buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back