CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #361 of 955
@solitary man, I had asked her later what she thought about the meet. She stated she enjoyed it and really did wish she had the courage to explore the vendor selections a little bit more but overall things were good for her. She even made a purchase of RHA m600 lol.

Mar 30, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #362 of 955
Yep, the new Liquid Carbon (their smaller desktop amp) is supposedly only going to cost somewhere between $500 to $700. Much more reasonable than the thousands of dollars that their other amps cost. And it sounds amazing.

Sweet I am definitely going to get the Liquid Carbon sometime this year.:)

Mar 30, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #363 of 955
Cavalli carbon, another table I wasn't able to get to and get a listen. Now I'm really kicking myself as I am in the market for a good portable amp. :mad:

Also, with regard to high listening levels-- totally agree. As a matter of fact I almost blew my ears out while demoing the he1000. Whoever it was before me cranked the volume way too high and left it there. Lesson learned, before demoing any gear make sure the volume nob is at zero. As a matter of fact it should be eticate to turn down the volume before leaving the table so the person after you doesn't loose his hearing.

Mar 30, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #365 of 955
Cavalli carbon, another table I wasn't able to get to and get a listen. Now I'm really kicking myself as I am in the market for a good portable amp.
mad.gif

Also, with regard to high listening levels-- totally agree. As a matter of fact I almost blew my ears out while demoing the he1000. Whoever it was before me cranked the volume way too high and left it there. Lesson learned, before demoing any gear make sure the volume nob is at zero. As a matter of fact it should be eticate to turn down the volume before leaving the table so the person after you doesn't loose his hearing.

Apparently the portable amp is NOT the Liquid Carbon:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/665398/new-cavalli-audio-portable-amp-officially-in-the-works/315#post_11448029

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #366 of 955
@solitary man, I had asked her later what she thought about the meet. She stated she enjoyed it and really did wish she had the courage to explore the vendor selections a little bit more but overall things were good for her. She even made a purchase of RHA m600 lol.

Well, good for her! I'm glad she was able to purchase something too. There was probably a good size offering of affordable earbuds or whatever they are called now. I'm not into those at all, so I am not aware. I hope she is really delighted with her purchase and enjoys them. Yes, one of the great things was that it was a very non-pressure environment at all the tables. All the vendors were so very kind to everyone. Like I said about Schiit, no pressure to purchase or anything and when I showed some interest I was pointed to the least expensive and told it's just as good as the next two up for my needs! Not once did I hear, "Oh, but if you spend $300 more for product B you get a gold name badge instead of silver" or other such rubbish.
Yeah, we non-audiophile are sometimes hard to figure out with our lack of courage and timidness. The good thing is that if she goes next time, she will feel better and have more courage at some more tables. Had I had the courage to approach the Cavili table I probably would have been nearly taken by hand by the rep who beckoned me and shown their $500-$700 amp much to my shock. Sometimes it takes more than one try for us non-audiophiles to get enough courage for some things.

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #367 of 955
I'm guessing Alex will be changing this page on his site very, very soon ...

https://www.cavalliaudio.com/index.php?p=morestuff&stuffId=11

What's it Going to be Called?

If the amp makes it to production status, we're going to have a naming contest. The name will be Liquid ????. Those of you who participate get to pick the ???? part.
The winner gets a Liquid ???? for free. wink

When will the Contest Start?

As soon as we are confident that the amp can go into production and meets our SQ standards, we will put up the contest rules and submission forms. Please don't submit name ideas yet.

That's the portable which is different from the carbon.

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #368 of 955
IM - you grabbed my post before I had a chance to edit it when I realised my mistake - apologies to anyone who now finds this discussion somewhat confusing, but the upside is that you can still potentially win naming rights to the new portable and your very own 'Liquid Nitrous Oxide'   :D  

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #369 of 955
  I own K7XX too I was looking for closed back headphone under $400.  I'm trying to decide between momentum, and PM-3.  Those are both over what I would want to spend though $250 would be more like what I want to spend.

Just I have those looking for closed back pair now.

I will have to look into those. 

They weren't at Canjam, but the $200 HP100 is my choice right now for closed headphone under $400 (pending the PM-3 loaner program).  I brought mine to both CES and Canjam to use as a baseline when comparing gear and it has never ceased to amaze me how well it holds its own against the big boys.  One of my goals for canjam was to potentially find an upgrade for the HP100 and all I did was convince myself that it's not possible under $400.

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #370 of 955
  They weren't at Canjam, but the $200 HP100 is my choice right now for closed headphone under $400 (pending the PM-3 loaner program).  I brought mine to both CES and Canjam to use as a baseline when comparing gear and it has never ceased to amaze me how well it holds its own against the big boys.  One of my goals for canjam was to potentially find an upgrade for the HP100 and all I did was convince myself that it's not possible under $400.

My choice would be the Focal Spirit Pro's. Only issue is if you have big ears, as their earcups are a bit on the smaller side. Was really impressed with these for their price. Look to be well made as well. Cheers

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #371 of 955

You didn't try the PM-3 at CanJam, Stillhart?

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #372 of 955
Solitary man, the Cavalli people were indeed extremely friendly and very easy to talk to, even for a guy who brought IEMs with a remote (which therefore didn't work with their prototype amp). I thought their amp was excellent, but it was also really hard to tell because I was listening to Noble K10s instead of my usual Westone W40s. Not a fair comparison, I think :wink:

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #373 of 955
  Solitary man, the Cavalli people were indeed extremely friendly and very easy to talk to, even for a guy who brought IEMs with a remote (which therefore didn't work with their prototype amp). I thought their amp was excellent, but it was also really hard to tell because I was listening to Noble K10s instead of my usual Westone W40s. Not a fair comparison, I think :wink:

Yeah, Alex is a cool guy. He was very open and friendly even right as he found out a pair of K10U's had been stolen from his table. 

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #375 of 955
Congo, Mike on getting it back. Hopefully some good news comes out of the other thefts at the showm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back