CanJam Singapore 2023 Impressions Thread (March 25-26, 2023)
Mar 26, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #106 of 334
After auditioned so many latest technology IEMs in this Canjam, with various genres from pop, vocals, jazz, alternative rock, and Japanese rock with my Hiby RS6 - I decided to go for MH335DW Studio Reference, mainly because I like its overall signature which is slightly warm, expansive soundstage (like hearing from a headphone), well textured bass thanks to its DW (double woofer) and definitely its awesome mids!

What I like the most is because it tame the highs from the Japanese rock music such as Flow 7-seven, Awake, etc. These are fast tracks with lots of highs.

MH335DW-SR is not a new IEM, it has been there for many years but to my ears, I personally feel it is slightly better sounding than those modern technologies. Don’t be fooled with the word “studio reference” that some may think it is a very analytical piece of monitor, but at least to me, it is musical, and more relaxed compared to MH334 Studio Reference.

The MH334-SR sounds more forward and energetic compared to MH335DWSR, and frankly speaking, it was very impressive at the beginning!

But, after spending more time with more varieties of music, I fell in love with MH335DW-SR.
I definitely can listen to this pair much longer then MH334-SR for extended hours!

FYI - I also compared it with FitEar TG334, Air, Air 2, EST, and even Titan - but I still prefer MH335DW-SR.

Although Titan in overall is more balanced and airy, but it is not as efficient to drive, I had to increase the volume knob all the way up using Hiby RS6 even with High gain set! Maybe cause I didn’t use its 4.4mm balanced port.

Anyway I was really happy spending time at Jaben booth these 2 days to try out their FitEar lines and FirAudio, thanks a lot to uncle Wilson and all Jaben crews for their warm hospitality! 🙏

Now, the waiting game starts …

Hope, I can receive this pair during my birthday month as my own birthday gift 🎁 haha 😂

Oh btw, I also managed to buy and pre-ordered this beautiful piece of IEM, called 7Hz Legato
It has amazing tuning, slightly warm and very musical.

On top of that, it has great isolation - perfect to be used in a noisy environment such as daily commuting on MRT 😄.

I would say one of the best price to performance ratio IEM during the show from Linsoul!
I didn’t think twice after listening to it, and directly placed my order!

For $109 USD a pair, you can’t go wrong! 😆

Attachments

• 5D0306A8-28A6-4666-88C7-32F3E2022661.jpeg
    5D0306A8-28A6-4666-88C7-32F3E2022661.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1E127DD5-7783-4292-99EA-F6B8C3458769.jpeg
    1E127DD5-7783-4292-99EA-F6B8C3458769.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 0
Mar 26, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #107 of 334
Here are my quick impressions. Forgive my as I tend to follow my wallet 1st (set a budget), before I listen to an item. For this event, my ceiling is US$1.5K - so no TOTL items to be seen in this post.

DAY 1
DAP used: AK SE180 with SEM1 Module

Effect Audio Ares S 8W and Cadmus 8W
20230325_122412.jpg20230325_122408.jpg
Intending to pair it with my EE ESR MK2 - the Ares S 8W even beefs up the ESRs tonality, suprisingly pushed the mids a bit more forward, fair bit of extension on the highs, tighter bass. For the Cadmus 8W - even extended the highs of the ESR MK2 but made the mids lacking. Both are easily as pliable as their 4 wire counterparts. Excellent build quality.

Effect Audio Code 23
20230325_123700.jpg
Surprisingly very pliable for a 16.5AWG, solid core cable. Tried it with the ESR MK2, improvement on every level (was thinking of ESR MK2 on steroids. Excellent build quality.

Effect Audio Gaea
20230325_123727.jpg

1st time trying out Elysian "based" product. Very engaging (me likey), mids are silky smooth.

CA Andromeda "Emerald Sea"
20230325_125515.jpg
Is it just me or does it really sound thick? There's something about it's treble as well that I can't really point out. Sounds off to me. I hate flat cables as well.

Sennheiser HD 660S2
20230325_135912.jpg
(with C9 on Tube Mode, High gain) Hhhhmmmm....I'll stick with my 600 and 650s...maybe it's just the show environment but I can't hear much improvement over my 600/650. I might need to revisit again but this time in a more quiet environment.

Elysian Diva 2023
20230325_134754.jpg
I almost ordered this one. Extended highs are a delight.

FiiO M15S
20230325_131952.jpg
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, sounded a more refined M11 Plus ESS - but it also sounded too dry, sterile for me as well. I love the volume pot. Snappy.

64 Audio U4s
20230325_130833.jpg
Not my cup of tea. Don't know why but with the genres I was trying it with, it just doesn't sound engaging - too clean/dry sounding for me.

DAY 2
DAP used: Hiby RS2

Inear Black Moon

20230326_104333.jpg
Interesting - it was marketed as a gaming IEM, but sounded dang good. Staging and separation is impressive. The glowing shell (to me) is a gimmick.

Inear ProMission X (an outlier as I was asked to listen to it 1st, then later on learned of it's pricing)
20230326_105953.jpg
Detail monster.

FiR Audio NE4 (another outlier as I didn't specify my buget but only asked the cheapest FiR Audio IEM)
20230326_111644.jpg
I liked it. Full sounding, engaging...until I learned of it's pricing

Dunu SA6
20230326_113405.jpg
Very detailed, full of treble, may be too fatiguing for me in long listening sessions.

Dunu EST 112
20230326_114045.jpg
They sounded about the same presentation as my Variations (But the Variations edges on separation and detail)

QDC Dmagic 3D
20230326_115528.jpg
Definitely needs an amp, I felt it can give a lot more than what the limpy amp section of the RS2 has to offer. May need to revisit.

QDC Folk
20230326_120206.jpg
Super surprised of it's asking price. I thought it was priced slightly about the 3D. Engaging, more refined mids (than the 3D).

Stax D10 and SR-003MK2 (D1003 system)
20230326_162416.jpg
Was long eyeing this system - curious about Stax in general - but the on canal type annoyed me immediately, it simply doesn't stay put on my ear (opening). I didn't even bother to really "listen" to it. It was just ok - the annoying part is enough to cross it off my list.

Mar 26, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #109 of 334
Apologies, didn’t have chance to compare my RS6 and R6 pro II earlier due to short time.
Had to do some work at home 😩
No worries hopefully someone else here will have some more thoughts.

The power reduction from the first model(750mW to 383mW) is a bit disappointing but let’s see how it fairs.

Mar 26, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #110 of 334
20230325_131952.jpg

Haven't heard the M17 so I can't compare. It's quick (as expected from a 660 equiped DAP). A quick impression is that it's a more refined sounding M11 Plus ESS. Clean sounding (too clean for my ears). I like the volume pot, very smooth.
Thank you very much!
THis is the DAP which I have been waiting for a while. Love the design. Since its the 9038 pro, i suspect it may sound very similar to M17.

Mar 26, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #111 of 334
Cross-posted from the Watercooler thread where I live(d):

Impressions CanJam Singapore

After a last minute-ish decision to check out the CanJam show in Singapore the floor under my feet opened yet again after some surprising demos. But by far the most memorable part was meeting up with so many Watercooler Kids; not only with regulars but also with incidental thread visitors here that have equally lost their way. And exactly like on the thread anyone who dared come too close to us was immediately embedded and became a friend of our ever growing group. It was therefore totally impossible to find everyone at the exact right moment for a group picture so I guess we'll have to rape history a bit and Photoshop Stacey and some others in :wink:

I was also very happy to spend quite a lot of time with Jim & John (Noble) and their wives, and very early this morning I had the FiRry Bros for myself for 20 minutes. Funny thing is that we didn't waste a minute talking about gear as we had so many other passions that connected us. I'm flying out with Bogdan in a couple of hours, but chances are one of us is going to end up in Business Class and for sure that won't be me! Not related, but I just received an email from Qatar Airways whether I wanted to upgrade my $450 flight for another eye-watering $1,700. I mean...

Last unexpected meet was with the owners of HeadphoneZone in Mumbai who admirably probably were the only ones that were at the show from the very first to the very last minute on both days. I caught a quick pick of his great t-shirt (which can be ordered for next to nothing on their website):

20230326_105953.jpg

On to the show then!

Well, not so fast, as on Friday we had an overcrowded meet-up with about 10 of "us" at the tiny Jaben shop where every centimeter was occupied and I still managed to hear 2 different Storms with 3 different cables. I added yet another Storm with 2 other cables at the show so I got a fairly decent impression of all Storms out there I think. More on that later.

First my disappointments, to get that out of the way first.

After seeing this sign next to the entrance I should've known better, but I still decided to give Empire Ears Raven (prototype) and Campfire Audio Trifecta some ear time. Oh boy...

20230326_095403.jpg

My stubbornness unfortunately led to 2 one minute demos as the bass totally overpowered the rest during my acoustic music demos. Since I'm a one-IEM-does-it-all kinda guy it didn't make sense to find out which genres they would actually shine with. Perhaps that's a missed chance but with so many other goodies around cutting corners is what kept me on track.

The most notable other disappointment was many others' show favourite Elysian Dio which is in prototype stage with its tuning being 90% ready. I managed to get a handful of Coolers around Lee to take a pic for Jeff, and if I recall correctly it was with Jim's camera so I hope he will share later. I really admire what he manages to pull off as a mostly one-man enterprise but it's just not my kind of tuning unfortunately. It's just that I would love to support this kind of small-scale setups. Oh well...

I'm changing to my earlier used impressions format here so that I can easily find things back later. Not strictly chronological this time to keep it readable(ish).

Empire Ears Raven (prototype)
Like with Odyssey really nice mids and treble with great detail, but I felt that Raven was out of balance where I found Ody's bass shelf much more acceptable with a better focus on mids and treble.

Campfire Audio Trifecta
Unfortunately the bass was really overpowering for my very short acoustic music demo set.

Elysian Dio (prototype)
Elysian and me just don't have much synergy. I found the new prototype a bit nasal and rather squeezed sounding, and like with Annihilator 21 the timbre for the bass didn't match the timbre of the mids. Sub bass kicked in far too late for my taste and on some tracks I felt whole instruments in the mid bass / lower mids region were missing. Also like Anni 21 I found the mid bass very thumpy.

Nightjar Singularity
Of note: This is the cheapest IEM I ever listened to and I didn't know its price until after the demo when I found out it was actually 1k cheaper than I thought it would be, so take that into consideration when reading.
Too bass heavy for my liking, a bit wooly/boomy instead of tight and fast, drops a bit too fast from sub to mid bass, not really resolving, too polite, very coherent but needs to be faster/dynamic, vocals need to be a bit more forward/brighter, imaging not very good, a bit low-fi for acoustic guitar as string attack is not really there and tonality of acoustric strings was a bit off.

With Mira 2 cable the balance improved but still too thick while slightly more treble emphasis was welcome. Vocals are slightly too lean for the rather thick bass.

With Blue Hour cable by far the best tonal balance although a bit less less resolving. However, that cable is twice the price of the IEM.

Dita Audio Perpetua (with Violectric / Kondo / Audio Research front-end)
This was my show opener and it sounded soooo much better than the demo I had in Kuala Lumpur earlier on using RU6. This was a really great surprise, even with the price balance totally out of whack.

Much better resolution with this setup, tighter bass, and only sliiiightly tingly treble. Mids and coherence are absolutely fantastic for this single DD IEM. Although it's not a technical high-flyer at all I could easily live with this and totally get lost in music instead.

(With Lotoo PAW6000 - like most other demos)
Downscaling made it sound slightly veiled and more like I remembered it from a few months ago, less weight and impact in bass, too closed in. This one apparently scales really well and really needs some power and quality.

Joho Alpha Ti (limited edition)
Again I didn't know the price before demoing.

Pretty good! Could use a little warmth in bass and mids but that's it really, mids are a bit on the lean side but very natural sounding, not very resolving in bass and misses bit impact, can become slightly upfront/aggressive which I think is because of the cable. Really liked it. Until I found out the price. This one plays in the 2.5-3k league for me; not 4k.

Vision Ears Phönix LE
This is one of the brands that unfortunately don't do it for me, no matter how excellent some of the aspects of the 6 models that I've listened to are. Case in point:
Superb tonal balance but in the end too lean with too little body in bass and mids, overall (not just in the bass) missing the timbre I'm looking for so unfortunately for me in this case BA mids is a thing, slightly too bright, fantastic dynamics, fantastic imaging, and fantastic detail level. I still don't know what exactly is missing in Vision Ears IEMs for me and discussing this with the very nice crew didn't solve the mystery. My best guess was it's the relative lack of note weight in combination with some timbre shortcomings but I really can't tell. Such a pity as I liked everything else to pieces.

The following IEMs I demoed a few times and on the last day they were the only thing I focussed on. From (relatively!) worst to best for me:

Subtonic Storm
With HiBy RS8 and PW Audio Orpheus
Mid bass not articulate enough, both mid bass timbre and (surprisingly) tonality are a bit off, too much focus on mid bass, vocals great with a perfect front positioning but a bit veiled, lower treble sounded a bit squeezed, superb dynamics and imaging.

With HiBy RS8 and OG cable
Misses a little weight in mid bass, vocals veil is lifted, bit flatter sound overall, now misses warmth in mids, sliiightly too bright and a bit aggressive.

With HiBy RS8 and PW Audio 1950s
Perfect except still missing a bit of warmth, timbre in sub and mid bass greatly improved but still not there. Despite being much cheaper than Orphy this was my preferred combination.

With Lotoo PAW6000 and 2 more cables
Bit too nasal and squeezed, not very open sounding, resolution in mids doesn't match treble, now more problems with timbre of the mids than of the bass, making me think this front-end is simply not good enough for Storm.

In the end Storm and I didn't become friends; mostly because of the tonality/timbre issues I had with its mid bass. In absolute terms I think Storm should be priced around 3.5k-4k to be truly competitive. Please don't tell me I didn't try hard enough to make it work... :wink:

Unique Melody Multiverse Mentor
With stock cable
Like with my earlier demos in Ho Chi Minh City Mentor didn't completely convince me timbre-wise. Having demoed it after the next 2 IEMs made me realize even more that I find it:

A bit too closed in sounding, lacking some air and perhaps life (as in breathing?), sliiightly boomy bass, bit strident upper mids / lower treble. And maybe a quality issue some won't be surprised about, but when lifting them from the table one of the shells simply fell off. Can't have it all at that giveaway price I guess...

And yep! A shared number one position that I really have to give some thought should I want to divorce Sultan.

After I was really dissapointed with earlier demos of Kr5 and Xe6 Simmy insisted I gave Radon 6 a try as "You will simply love it! Really your kind of tuning". Yeah, right...

But Holy Moly, he hit the nail on the head! The third time is a charm. I just don't know whether some of its superb qualities during the demo would bite me in the back during long-term listening.

FiR Audio Radon 6 (limited edition)
Excellent balance but quite (and perhaps too) bright, very dynamic, very resolving, great imaging, all the time discovering new instruments on demo tracks that I have possibly used 500 times before. Imaging is fantastic with a huge stage even for small acoustic ensembles, and lots of space around instruments and vocalists that are very 3D/palpable on top of that.

With PW Audio August Fun the brightness problem was quickly solved but the bass becomes sliiiightly boomy and vocals lose some weight. The solution is probably the "same as always": PW Audio 1950s but I couldn't check. But me thinks that both imaging and the way new details are discovered all the time might lead to first distraction and later fatigue. On the other hand: Those details were recorded for a reason and that reason was to be heard.

I think I may have to go through Bogan's hand luggage tonight when he's asleep at the wheel in the plane.

Noble Audio Ronin
Again, during my 2nd and 3rd demo Ronin showed off its perfect tonal balance, but without being able to swap cables it still needs a slightly better tonal richness in my opinion, and it could also use slightly fuller bass and mids, ever so slightly better timbre, and better dynamics. But overall I find Ronin the very best compromise out there - as it really isn't one - and I think all imperfections can be cured with a better cable pairing. It's just that apart from its top position in literally all fields it doesn't outshine all others in any single aspect. And that weakness may be its ultimate strength.

Now it's finally time to catch up with the thread again and before signing off I really like to read the CanJam impressions from much Cooler friends!

20230326_195243.jpg

drftr

Mar 26, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #112 of 334
So Canjam 2023 has finished. This year Singapore is fully opened so no more mask like last year, yay. Here are some I found interesting this year, in no particular order.

Moondrop Illumination: good details and overall timbre sounds natural but a tiny bit dry and grainy, bass sounds right but a bit shy for my taste
Moondrop Moonriver 2 dongle: it doesn't add any colorization and sounds very transparent and clean, the build is solid also
20230325_144217.jpg

Sennheiser IE200: good neutral tuning, a sound right budget IEM with decent resolution. In comparison: IE300 still has better technicality, has more bass, and sounds more fun overall, but quite messy.
20230325_130636.jpg

Dunu Zen Pro: neutral tuning, notes sound thick and at the same time is not bloated, OK timbre and I had a good early impression but I will need to listen to it more to make better comments.
20230325_144420.jpg

Empire Ears - Project Raven: I didn't listen to it much, but early impression is too laid back & smoothed for my taste, tuning is OK though
20230325_162023.jpg

64 Audio Tia Fourte & U4S: Good sound separation and clarity, but bass & timbre is not for me.

Andromeda Emerald Sea: good sound separation, good clarity, imaging is OK, tuning is also OK, but with a strange timbre
20230326_124914.jpg

ThieAudio Monarch mk II: it's very engaging with good tuning, and OK timbre also. However there seem to be almost no space among voices and sound field seems very compacted, still very interesting.
20230326_130528.jpg

Final A8000: I only spent a few minutes to listen to this but it left quite good impressions, it sounds right, controlled, clean & balance tuning.
20230326_122356.jpg

Fiio FH9: engaging and fun IEM with good bass (sub-bass is a bit weak though), nice tuning with decent imaging, not too wide but not too compact either, there are still space between voices, nice details, good sound separation and clarity
20230326_145414.jpg

Acoustune HS2000MX mk2: I feel it's better tuned than the mk1, but still a very bright tuning. It has clean, controlled sounding with good details. The treble is tastefully done so while the amount is more than what I would prefer it's still pleasant to listen to. Bass quality is good and a bit less in quantity.
20230326_111506.jpg

Focal Stellia: good separation & clarity, good imaging too, but timbre is a bit metallic and weird
Focal Utopia: a bit U-shape tuning, very natural sounding, good timbre, a bit laid back & smooth while still having good enough details and clarity, good imaging, sounds not too compacted

Mar 26, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #113 of 334
Final Day Impressions from Canjam Singapore 2023

On this day, I basically aimed try to all that was left for me to. I moved between booths with purpose, stopping just long enough to formulate opinions. Of course, I indulged in banter with friends, reps, and industry professionals. That’s usually half (if not most) of the fun for someone who’s plenty satisfied with his present stable. 😊

40F20673-A3BD-42E9-8864-4A37450C9CA3.jpeg

First and foremost, I stopped by the Noble table to say hello to the Wizard. I was pleasantly surprised when he offered to let me demo his soon to be released flagship TWS earbuds, the FoKus Prestige. Other than the premium looks and feels, this is easily the most technically proficient of TWS buds out there! Good midbass, decent resolution, and decent clarity without ever getting sibilant. Impressive one this, if you like a mid-bass punch.

8DA9CFF1-640F-469A-B4EA-8957585D6A3D.jpeg

Next, I spent a good deal of time with the Warwick Acoustics Aperio. What a lovely tonality! Some solid bass for a stat, strong midrange, and decent treble. However, I wasn’t as blown away as I thought I would be with the headphone system’s technicalities. Resolution was perhaps only a minor step ahead of a properly amped 009/009S/X9K. It had some meat on the bones compared to Stax but lacked the ethereal quality many stat aficionados have come to associate with and love about stats. I liked the HE-1 better, but more on that later.

Next, I tried some Thieaudio IEMs, their flagships: the Divinity V16 ($1499) and the Prestige ($1299).

12B88131-7927-4A7A-8929-F00E59DF849F.jpeg

410BBF75-72B4-408D-89B5-1AB7672E7E52.jpeg

Both decent IEMs but I liked the tuning of the Divinity much more. It was a more balanced set with less bass and more clarity in the upper mids. This is worth a try if you like the brand.

C3378A19-D531-46B4-912E-30949D1B9BDE.jpeg

Next, I tried Project Red from @crinacle. I didn’t try it with the impedance adapter which will boost the bass, but I, like most others, found it to be a very competent IEM given that it will be priced at less $100. In fact, at sub-$100, it may become a game-changer. Keep an eye out for this if you are looking for a budget set. You may need the impedance adapter (which I understand it will ship with), if you like more bass than the stock tuning.

00855423-9E73-429E-8F5B-CDACDAC8E0B3.jpeg

I then spent some time chatting with Ken Ball of Campfire Audio. As always, his IEMs are gorgeous and disruptive in the good sense, in terms of aesthetics.

1436604D-4670-48E6-BC86-EB658C88B0F1.jpeg

Cliff notes go something like this: the new Andro is their best one yet (decent bass!), the new Solaris is their best-tuned set (solid all-rounder lacking a tad in resolution), whilst the Trifecta is still too zany for me. I like the looks of the Trifecta but can’t agree with the treble tuning. I admire the brand though for taking risks with their tuning instead of churning out one target-hitter after another. 🙂

DDEC25F7-AE3B-4FFA-967C-E28D22108D3F.jpeg

Acoustone makes some stunning-looking IEMs. They all have a more or less wonky tuning though other than the HS1790Ti, which is absolutely a well-tuned IEM and I would love to spend more time with it. They have a spin-off brand called Madoo and I tried their planar dynamic hybrid called the Type 512, which was interesting indeed. Such fast transients! Made me want to own one just for novelty’s sake.

E1AF092E-B018-418E-B39C-B170528EC0B4.jpeg

Next I moved on to the Nightjar Acoustics booth and spent some time with the Singularity and the Duality.

5EDFB601-0BC3-4B22-A64D-37A0DC368259.jpeg

0865BAA7-0864-4666-B279-F3DCF7BBCA33.jpeg

I liked the Duality a lot more, not just for the bass, but it had some superb timbre and technical chops. The Singularity will also be a popular IEM given it’s expected to be priced sub-$1500 when it comes out next month. The Duality will be higher-priced but will not be out until later in the year.

00BC5176-1AD6-4A61-A389-D22615C4AE2F.jpeg

The Lotoo PAW Gold Touch Ti is a good DAP and I understand why people consider it to be neutral in its presentation. It sounds far less colored than the L&P P6 Pro but I prefer the P6 Pro and the Sony WM1ZM2 to the LPGT Ti. The Ti is a tad airier than the regular LPGT.

B1FA7FF7-5E36-4DBF-A471-553445B5C172.jpeg

Meanwhile, the Atrium Closed is Zach’s best closed-back yet. I spent some time with the Cherrywood with Suede Pads and loved how open it sounded and how damn authoritative the bass was. Mids are always good with ZMF so there’s that. This may be the best closed-back in the market, especially if you like the ZMF house sound. I may bring one in for a full review.

4AC45A17-6ED1-4DB7-A37D-42AA86D949A3.jpeg

The 64 Audio U4S was not my jam. I understand its priced around $1000 but even in that price range, its not resolving enough and the transients are soft and mushy.

I liked the Fourte Blanc though, better than the Fourte OG. Solid subbass foundation and damn resolving even if the tuning is a tad wonky in the treble. 64 Audio has a way of pulling off wonky tunings and still making them sound palatable and occasionally exciting.

383FBD5A-932A-4995-B3F8-316F48C0720F.jpeg

The new Utopia is a tad more pleasing to me than the old Utopia. And I really liked the old Utopia. Solid synergy with my Sony WM1ZM2 with a subbass and 2KHz boost.

519821B0-EB3C-43F7-8F3D-A1817C055CAC.jpeg

Rosson Audio has a winner in their hands with the MPL-0. At $1799, this is Rosson’s best work yet. Fun tuning yet quite natural-sounding.

F0688C9E-BEC9-4C9B-B6AD-0E2965D9CC24.jpeg

@ElysianAcousticLabs’s yet-to-be released Dio will be their best IEM yet. They have fixed the bass with this one. Sounds damn tacticle and textured whilst retaining a lot of the treble quality that made the Anni so popular. Looks like the Anni in current prototype form but likely will look different when released later this year.

6214B259-C230-4AD7-A52A-6A59CC68096D.jpeg

I didn’t like the MEST MK3 much. Odd treble. I prefer the MK2, although the MK3 is more resolving. I liked the Mason Fabled Sound however: Unique Melody’s most expensive IEM at $5999. I don’t know many who own it and I wonder why not. I may prefer it to the Trailli but not to the Jewel.

2BB099BE-4C5F-48D1-AEF3-7ACD67E9DB86.jpeg

I have never liked the DCA Stealth or Expanse much, but the Corina was something interesting in offering a meatier and thicker presentation for a stat. I wouldn’t buy it however because I prefer the Stax headphones to it. And the Corina does not have the technical chops of Stax.

19A36FA5-685E-4F40-A7E2-01D62317BB6A.jpeg

Last but certainly not the least, I tried the Sennheiser HE-1 (for the second time). I liked it much more this time. In fact, I loved it this time.

1591876E-D67F-4C23-8576-1221B0FBEB8E.jpeg

Maybe the stunning views of Marina Bay from the 35th floor suite that Sennheiser booked, had something to do with it.

17E9C41F-B57D-40B3-9CB0-E529E2E561BB.jpeg

The HE-1 has the best bass of any estat on the planet, thicker and deeper and more impactful than the Aperio. The midrange sounds more natural than the Aperio and the treble walks a beautiful line between polite and sparkly. The only nitpicks are that the staging is not the widest (although stage depth is great!) and midbass can be a bit thin on certain tracks. But I loved it overall and the @Sennheiser rep hosting us, Mr Wee Hong, was great to chat with.

79AA3E64-7937-4BF4-88FD-8B6EF594CC84.jpeg

Listening to the HE-1 was a sweet, sweet way to end an overwhelming and I dare say, emotional two days of audiophiling.

CanJam was a blast. Singapore is audiophile city and it was awesome to experience and contribute to the passion of the local and global Head-Fi community.

So grateful for the experience.

Until next time. Hope to see some of you in London!

Attachments

• D9A36182-9499-421D-966F-E16ECABC02AE.jpeg
    D9A36182-9499-421D-966F-E16ECABC02AE.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 1979A576-772F-4613-9BEB-0126190AA49B.jpeg
    1979A576-772F-4613-9BEB-0126190AA49B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #114 of 334
Interesting, so far most of the impressions of VE protos I read in this thread and from people who pinged me are the opposite of NYC show, making me wonder if they indeed switched it up.

I can't for the life of me make sense of the reports I've heard of the VE prototypes from SG. 1/3 of them make me think that VE switched them from NYC, 1/3 make me think they're the same ones I heard in NYC and 1/3 sound like two entirely new IEMs altogether.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #115 of 334
Must say I'm very surprised at the lack of activity and paucity of impressions on this thread (and the Watercooler). Considering CJNY has 63 pages of impressions, and CJ Singapore is the IEM Mecca, I'd have expected far more content here. Maybe the IEM crowd is far more introsprective. 🤷🏻
The Hyla project A IEM was what impressed me most this show but since it is not final hardware I don't think it is fair to comment on beta hardware.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #116 of 334
So much fun reading all the impressions here, too bad i missed out this year. Hopefully will be able to join next year :frowning2:

Mar 26, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #117 of 334
Quick impressions from Day 3 at Canjam Singapore 2023:

On this day, I basically aimed try to all that was left for me to. I moved between booths with purpose, stopping just long enough to formulate opinions. Of course, I indulged in banter with friends, reps, and industry professionals. That’s usually half (if not most) of the fun for someone who’s plenty satisfied with his present stable. 😊

40F20673-A3BD-42E9-8864-4A37450C9CA3.jpeg

First and foremost, I stopped by the Noble table to say hello to the Wizard. I was pleasantly surprised when he offered to let me demo his soon to be released flagship TWS earbuds, the FoKus Prestige. Other than the premium looks and feels, this is easily the most technically proficient of TWS buds out there! Good midbass, decent resolution, and decent clarity without ever getting sibilant. Impressive one this, if you like a mid-bass punch.

8DA9CFF1-640F-469A-B4EA-8957585D6A3D.jpeg

Next, I spent a good deal of time with the Warwick Acoustics Aperio. What a lovely tonality! Some solid bass for a stat, strong midrange, and decent treble. However, I wasn’t as blown away as I thought I would be with the headphone system’s technicalities. Resolution was perhaps only a minor step ahead of a properly amped 009/009S/X9K. It had some meat on the bones compared to Stax but lacked the ethereal quality many stat aficionados have come to associate with and love about stats. I liked the HE-1 better, but more on that later.

Next, I tried some Thieaudio IEMs, their flagships: the Divinity V16 ($1499) and the Prestige ($1299).

12B88131-7927-4A7A-8929-F00E59DF849F.jpeg

410BBF75-72B4-408D-89B5-1AB7672E7E52.jpeg

Both decent IEMs but I liked the tuning of the Divinity much more. It was a more balanced set with less bass and more clarity in the upper mids. This is worth a try if you like the brand.

C3378A19-D531-46B4-912E-30949D1B9BDE.jpeg

Next, I tried @crinacle’s Project Red. I didn’t try it with the impedance adapter which will boost the bass, but I, like most others, found it to be a very competent IEM given that it will be priced at less a $100. In fact, at sub-$100, it may become a game-changer. Keep an eye out for this if you are looking for a budget set. You may need the impedance adapter which I understand it will ship with, if you like more bass than the stock tuning.

00855423-9E73-429E-8F5B-CDACDAC8E0B3.jpeg

I then spent some time chatting with Ken Ball of Campfire Audio. As always, his IEMs are gorgeous and disruptive in the good sense, in terms of aesthetics.

1436604D-4670-48E6-BC86-EB658C88B0F1.jpeg

Cliff notes go something like this: the new Andro is their best one yet (decent bass!), the new Solaris is their best-tuned set (solid all-rounder lacking a tad in resolution), whilst the Trifecta is still too zany for me. I like the looks of the Trifecta but can’t agree with the treble tuning. I admire the brand though for taking risks with their tuning instead of turning out one target-hitter after another. 🙂

DDEC25F7-AE3B-4FFA-967C-E28D22108D3F.jpeg

Acoustone makes some stunning-looking IEMs. They all have a more or less wonky tuning though other than the HS1790Ti, which is absolutely a well-tuned IEM and I would love to spend more time with it. They have a spin-off brand called Madoo and I tried their planar dynamic hybrid called the Type 512, which was interesting indeed. Such fast transients! Made me want to own one just for the novelty’s sake.

E1AF092E-B018-418E-B39C-B170528EC0B4.jpeg

Next I moved on to the Nightjar Acoustics booth and spent some time with the Singularity and the Duality.

5EDFB601-0BC3-4B22-A64D-37A0DC368259.jpeg

0865BAA7-0864-4666-B279-F3DCF7BBCA33.jpeg

I liked the Duality a lot more, not just for the bass, but it had some superb timbre and technical chops. The Singularity will also be a popular IEM given it’s expected to be priced sub-$1500 when it comes out next month. The Duality will be higher-priced but will not be out until later in the year.

00BC5176-1AD6-4A61-A389-D22615C4AE2F.jpeg

The Lotoo PAW Gold Touch Ti is a good DAP and I understand why people consider it to be rather neutral in its presentation. It sounds far less colored than the L&P P6 Pro but I prefer the P6 Pro and the Sony WM1ZM2 to the LPGT Ti. The Ti is a tad airier than the regular version.

B1FA7FF7-5E36-4DBF-A471-553445B5C172.jpeg

Meanwhile, the Atrium Closed is Zach’s best closed-back yet. I spent some time with the Cherrywood with Suede Pads and loved how open it sounded and how damn authoritative the bass was. I may bring one in for a fuller review. This may be the best closed-back in the market, especially if you like the ZMF house sound.

4AC45A17-6ED1-4DB7-A37D-42AA86D949A3.jpeg

The 64 Audio U4S was not my jam. I understand its priced around $1000 but even in that price range, its not resolving enough and the transients are soft and mushy.

I liked the Fourte Blanc though, better than the Fourte OG. Solid subbass foundation and damn resolving even if the tuning is a tad wonky in the treble. 64 Audio has a way of pulling off wonky tunings and still making them sound palatable, if not altogether exciting.

383FBD5A-932A-4995-B3F8-316F48C0720F.jpeg

The new Utopia is a tad more pleasing to me than the old Utopia. Solid synergy with my Sony WM1ZM2 with a subbass and 2KHz boost.

519821B0-EB3C-43F7-8F3D-A1817C055CAC.jpeg

Rosson Audio has a winner in their hands with the MPL-0. At $1799, this is Rosson’s best work yet. Fun tuning yet quite natural-sounding.

F0688C9E-BEC9-4C9B-B6AD-0E2965D9CC24.jpeg

@ElysianAcousticLabs’s yet-to-be released Dio will be their best IEM yet. They have fixed the bass with this one. Sounds damn tacticle and textured whilst retaining a lot of the treble quality that made the Anni so popular. Looks like the Anni in current prototype form but likely will look different when released later this year.

6214B259-C230-4AD7-A52A-6A59CC68096D.jpeg

I didn’t like the MEST MK3 much. Odd treble. I prefer the MK2, although the MK3 is more resolving. I liked the Mason Fabled Sound however: Unique Melody’s most expensive IEM at $5999. I don’t know many who own it and I wonder why not. I may prefer it to the Trailli but not to the Jewel.

2BB099BE-4C5F-48D1-AEF3-7ACD67E9DB86.jpeg

I have never liked the DCA Stealth or Expanse much, but the Corina was something interesting in offering a meatier and thicker presentation. I wouldn’t buy it however because I prefer the Stax headphones to it. And the Corina does not have the technical chops of Stax.

19A36FA5-685E-4F40-A7E2-01D62317BB6A.jpeg

Last but certainly not the least, I tried the Sennheiser HE-1 for the second time. I liked it much more this time. In fact, I loved it this time.

1591876E-D67F-4C23-8576-1221B0FBEB8E.jpeg

Maybe the stunning views of Marina Bay from the 35th floor suite that Sennheiser booked, had something to do with it.

17E9C41F-B57D-40B3-9CB0-E529E2E561BB.jpeg

The HE-1 has the best bass of any estat on the planet, thicker and deeper and more impactful than the Aperio. The midrange sounds more natural than the Aperio and the treble walks a beautiful line between polite and sparkly. The only nitpicks are that the staging is not the widest (although stage depth is great!) and midbass can be a bit thin on certain tracks. But I loved it overall and the @Sennheiser rep hosting us, Mr Wee Hong, was great to chat with.

79AA3E64-7937-4BF4-88FD-8B6EF594CC84.jpeg

Listening to the HE-1 was a sweet, sweet way to end an overwhelming and I dare say, emotional two days of audiophiling.

Till next time, guys! Hope to see some of you in London.
Good one! You happened to try the N7?

Mar 26, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #120 of 334
I would love to but my work schedule doesn't allow for anything more than a quick trip down Friday and back Sunday. I should be arriving at the hotel Friday around 6pm if you're free for dinner.

You're on! Setup shouldn't begin until later on that night, so I should be free! :relaxed::thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back