CanJam Singapore 2018 Impressions Thread! (March 24-25, 2018)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #77 of 199
Oh good, it was almost ridiculous for a cable. Now we're safe :deadhorse:

Do you mean that the best sound quality comes from the most expensive cable of each brand? Looks like you got it all figured out.

It is not because you drank the Kool aid that nothing can be said about people charging 2.5k$ from a copper wire. But if you're happy with people making 5000% margin on your face, suit yourself.

Nice to see sarcasm isn't dead, on Head-Fi.

Maybe it's a generational thing, but this, boys & girls, is how sarcasm is correctly used, in response to frankly absurd&obscene cable-pricing. It's a wonder some cable company employees can sleep at night, and, IMO, Mim' is justified in openly calling-out this B$ for what it is...

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #78 of 199
that is electret driver, it has continuous charge from the transformers, if it was electrostatic driver you will need energizer like the shure 1500 or various stax models

It is something new :wink: There is no charge on the main vibrating plate and more info will be disclosed later!

Mar 25, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #80 of 199
Awesome impressions, @Adventure , they are much appreciated. Since you would like to attend more CanJams, it would be nice to meet you if you can make this year’s CanJam SoCal (April 7th and 8th). If not, no worries.

Mar 25, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #81 of 199
that is electret driver, it has continuous charge from the transformers, if it was electrostatic driver you will need energizer like the shure 1500 or various stax models
Electret is a permanently charged diaphragm. The photo @unknownguardian took says the backplate is charged at 400 V. That sounds more like a condenser microphone capsule actually than an electret.
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Engineering_Acoustics/Microphone_Design_and_Operation
Condenser_schema.jpg

Mar 25, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #83 of 199
My 2 cents IEMs canjam singapore:

Soundwriter - oh god the best combination. It got everything an audiophile wants and you don’t even need to get an aftermarket cable. The resolution is so good that it makes the sound sound 3D. PW1960 is already very good on its own. Pricing (SGD)- 2 wire PW1960 stock cable: 5xxx, 4 wire stock cable: 6xxx

Erlkönig - impressive. Universal actually fits well, sounds smooth. Different sound signature from soundwriter. If you like how musical Layla + pandora sounds then you’ll like this iem. My only problem is that sounds a little enclosed which also leads to the separation being good but not the best. However, the resolution is insane. The separation isn’t outstanding but the resolution allows you to hear almost every bit of detail (My friend’s review on VE)

N8t - a cheaper alternative of soundwriter. Pair it with 1960 cable and it’ll sound laidback. You can pair it with other cables to make it sound fun and engaging. A very experimental pair of IEM. Pricing (SGD)- canjam: 2249, RTP: 2499

IT04 - I have always loved iBasso. The pricing is really competitive and give people bang for the buck. After listening to all those IEMs it’s hard to calibrate my hearing and perception back to neutral standing. Overall, IT04 is good, it is pretty bassy (I’m not a bass head) and the mids are very good. My only problem is with the vocals. It sounded held back for some reason. Priced at $699 SGD and preorder starts at $629 SGD.

In ear monitoring: SD5 (wood) - oh my god. What should I say about this iem. It’s so perfect. The vocals are slightly forward and it’s relatively natural, separation not as good as oriolus MKII but still noteworthy. I was blown away by this IEM and so are a lot of people that tried it. When paired with labkable samurai III, it becomes very detailed. I could hear the microdetail. It can be too revealing but I love it. The wood shell makes it look premium but it isn’t flashy. The fit is one of the best for universals. I asked them and they told me that they used different people’s (I think 500?) ear impression, overlapped them and came out with the best fit. Of course there’s a lot of trial and errors behind the scene. Pricing (SGD)- RTP: 1799

Special mention:
Kumitate lab ref - faceplate designs gave me an eyegasm. Sound wise, it does everything well, I do prefer the special tuning for female vocals. Relatively neutral, leaning to warm sounding type of iem. Pricing: 150 000~170 000JPY; 2499 SGD (at Jaben store)

Mm...I am interested in the Soundwriter. Just to clarify, this is a 2-year long collaboration between 64 Audio and PW Audio (read it from Music Sanctuary's FB post):

1. What you auditioned is the Soundwriter which comes with the PW Audio1960s (K version) 4 wire cable (as a package), not the current 4 wire 1960s cable??? I read that the K version is exclusive to the Soundwriter.

2. By any chance, did you audition and compare the Soundwriter with the 64 Audio Tia Fourte (easily my favorite iem, alongside Empire Ears Zeus R XIV)?

Tia.

Also, no one auditioned the Sennheiser HD 820?? Impressions? As an owner of both the 800 and 800S, I am naturally curious if the 820 is a worthy addition.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #84 of 199
The Soundwriter sounds a lot like U18. The HD820 sounds like HD800 but with a smaller soundstage, and weightier notes.

Mar 26, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #85 of 199
Highlights for me this year include auditioning the Hiby D3. The Kickstarter is this week. $179 USD is the Kickstarter price.

H8b7r4P.jpg

yMHeKfF.jpg

OCzS6dc.jpg

syJzI2c.jpg

I also had a chance to audition the iBasso IT04 and even with the short time with them, I know I want to hear more. Fit for my right ear was a bit wonky but I was just using the attached inserts. Initially I had them pretty deep in my ear and was wondering why the bass was so thin. Only until I pulled them out a bit did the bass flood in. They were taking pre-orders at a CanJam price of $630 SGD if I remembered correctly. $699 SGD is the final retail and should be coming out before the DX150.

YE0N92A.jpg

Finally I did visit Final Audio where I got my head in-between the D8000. From the brief listening... I think I found my grail headphone. Hope I can listen to these more in the future. What a gem Final Audio has on their hands. They sounded quite linear and resolving. Decay was fast and controlled. The soundstage was decently wide for a semi-closed headphone. Honestly they felt more closed than open, but I hope to compare these with the big guns soon. And of course I was too awestruck to remember to take a photo. Doh!
BTW,
What was Final using to drive their D8000?

Mar 26, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #86 of 199
Mm...I am interested in the Soundwriter. Just to clarify, this is a 2-year long collaboration between 64 Audio and PW Audio (read it from Music Sanctuary's FB post):

1. What you auditioned is the Soundwriter which comes with the PW Audio1960s (K version) 4 wire cable (as a package), not the current 4 wire 1960s cable??? I read that the K version is exclusive to the Soundwriter.

2. By any chance, did you audition and compare the Soundwriter with the 64 Audio Tia Fourte (easily my favorite iem, alongside Empire Ears Zeus R XIV)?

Tia.

Also, no one auditioned the Sennheiser HD 820?? Impressions? As an owner of both the 800 and 800S, I am naturally curious if the 820 is a worthy addition.

The K-version 1960s is exclusive to the Soundwriter. I believe it has mods - including the solder and shielding - that were applied to the IEMs themselves. You can purchase the Soundwriter with either a 2-wire or 4-wire cable. Like @ranfan said, it's really much easier to compare the Soundwriter to the U18. The Soundwriter sounds considerably warmer and fuller than the U18, due to a lift in the upper-bass and a more filled-in lower-midrange. Vocals don't have the depth or power that the Zeus-XIV or the Phantom does, but they have the signature cleanliness and clarity of the U18 with more robustness, texture and resolution. The upper-midrange and treble pretty much remain the same - gorgeously extended and energetically sparkly without sibilance or harshness - but becomes better balanced against the rest of the frequency response due to the added meat in the low-end. To my tastes, there is still too much upper-treble sparkle such that it distracts from the harmonics/overtones of the midrange, but many will appreciate its clarity and finesse. Staging takes a hit compared to the U18 due to the removal of the APEX module, but I prefer the focus and density it now has. I will say that it still lacks top-class stage organisation, though. Instruments are defined and resolved skilfully, but their notes are so large that they begin to overlap each other in the stage. They don't necessarily blend or congeal to introduce congestion, they just lack precision in presenting spacial cues despite admirable headroom; pinpoint accuracy is just not its forte (pun intended). :wink:

Mar 26, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #87 of 199

Tia.

1. Hello and yes it's the K version that's specifically tuned for Soundwriter. A unique cable that you can only get with soundwriter. Sorry if my post confuses you.

2. I don't remember Empire Ears Zeus' sound so I can't say for sure. Compared to Tia Fourte which sounds bright and can be thin at times, Soundwriter is neutral, slightly leaning to warm and is thick. Fourte sounds airier while Soundwriter is tighter. The sound stage is smaller compared to Fourte but the resolution makes up for it, making it sound more 3D. Unlike fourte, you can't change modules but Soundwriter gives it a rather complete isolation as trade-off. If anything, it's a little hard to compare Fourte with Soundwriter because the sound signature is pretty different. I'd say it's a niche IEM.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #88 of 199
Mm...thanks a lot for the impressions re: Soundwriter. It is the kind of posts that I very much appreciate from those who actually listened/auditioned headfi gear.

Looking forward to THL full review (my bible for in ears).

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 26, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #89 of 199
Mm...more questions:

1. the Soundwriter will be available in universal and/or custom form???

2. what was the source of the Soundwriter set up? Which DAP, amp/dac if any? Or plain smartphone? :deadhorse:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back