CanJam Singapore 2017 (March 11-12, 2017)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #272 of 632
Feb 17, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #273 of 632
Semuapunmau | XL | 1

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #274 of 632
To give you guys a better visuals on the ground, here is Gluttons by the bay, just a few minutes walk from Pan Pacific Singapore, next to the esplanade. 

Do try out the Prawn noodles at the esplanade too! you wont be disappointed! One can find free live performances if you're lucky at the esplanade open area! 

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #275 of 632
Gluttons by the bay lol. I thougt official name is "Glutton's Bay".

There is also "Satay by the Bay" which located on the other side, in Gardens by the Bay/Marina barrage area.

But anw, just pick any food center here in Singapore. It's truly food haven. I personally recommend "Lau Pa Sat" at Raffles. Yummm... So many delicacies so little time :p..

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #277 of 632
Gluttons by the bay lol. I thougt official name is "Glutton's Bay".

There is also "Satay by the Bay" which located on the other side, in Gardens by the Bay/Marina barrage area.

But anw, just pick any food center here in Singapore. It's truly food haven. I personally recommend "Lau Pa Sat" at Raffles. Yummm... So many delicacies so little time
tongue.gif

Oops i might have been confused with the name. Yup. Lau Pa Sat is pretty good. Might be a tad expensive though. Gluttons might be too touristy too. 

Feb 17, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #278 of 632
Oops i might have been confused with the name. Yup. Lau Pa Sat is pretty good. Might be a tad expensive though. Gluttons might be too touristy too. 

True.. IMO all centers around bay area are touristy, including Quay area.

If any of you guys like seafood and willing to travel a bit, try this 'Penang Seafood' place just outside Aljunied MRT. Confirm 5star taste for way less.

For dimsum, go to this '216 eating house' 10 mins walk from Aljunied MRT, location a bit tricky so better drag a local to guide you.

Chili Crab, go to No Signboard (@Geylang), Jumbo (@Clarke Quay), or Long Beach (@East Coast). But ensure to check the crab type, and market price. You don't want to unknowingly order alaskan king crab and slapped with $2k bill. Need to save for new CIEM :p. Careful, chili crab generally expensive menu to start with.

Also try this chain 'Chir Chir' for korean fusion style chicken. Check out their beer/cocktail, quite fun :wink:. I recommend their 313 stall, nice decor.

For noodle/ramen lovers, go visit 'Ramen Champion' at Bugis+, on upper floor (lv 4 or 5, food court). All kind of ramen style and japanese side dishes. Authentic, or with singapore spin, you can find it here. If any of you can handle spicy hot stuff, I dare you to try 'Red Hell, level 5' from 'Buta God' there (warning: better prepare coconut water/milk before digging in)

If you want local flavor, don't go to restaurant. Look for long queue in any hawker center, you'll surprise yourself. Even if you less pleased, your wallet won't get damaged much. Again, need to save for new CIEM :wink:..

Feb 17, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #280 of 632
Ok! So here's a rough food guide to Singapore. If you google "Singapore Delicacies", you'll definitely find alot of guides. I'm just going to attach a list here and highlight a few of my favorite: Singapore food guide

Bak Kut Teh: Song Fa is the restaurant that I'm familiar with, with multiple chains all over Singapore. The problem is that at times, the soup can be too peppery. Another alternative that I like is Old Street Bak Kut Teh, which has a few chains all over Singapore too.

Wanton Mee: Best eaten slightly spicy with pickled green chilli on the side. Pontian has multiple chains all over Singapore and is my go to place when I'm in the mood for it.

Fried carrot cakes: Comes in black (with dark soy sauce) or white. I don't really have a recommendation for this, basically just eat it if I see it in a food court or hawker center

Kaya Toast and Soft-boiled Eggs with local Kopi (coffee): A DEFINITE must eat that is not restricted to breakfast only. Ya Kun is all over Singapore, other choices instead Wang's and Toast Box. Kopi is cheaper than Starbucks and taste better too, IMO.

Crabs (Chilli or Pepper): As I'm not a fan of crabs.... No comment. But Singaporeans love them so you should probably try them.

Laska: 328 katong laksa is probably the one that you should try. Most of my laksa is home cooked and the only restaurant that I've eaten at for laksa is 328 katong laksa.

Curry Fish Head: My favorite is the Assam style due to the sourness, but again, most of my curry fish head is home cooked

Bak Chor Mee: One of my favorite food in the list, in fact, I just had it for lunch! My favorite is Meng's Kitchen at Upper Thomson Road but it can be quite out of the way for tourists.

Oyster Omelette (Orh Lua): I don't like oysters so I normally just eat the omelette part. I've only eaten it home cooked so I don't really have any recommendation here.

Satay: Good finger food, available in most hawker centers, you can't really go wrong with these.

BBQ Sambal Sting Ray: I LOVE THESE!! Can be hard to find these though and I can't think of a good place off the top of my head. Maybe others can chip in.

Tau Huay: I hate these but the rest of my family love it, as well as the soya bean milk drink. Mr Bean is a good place with multiple chains all over Singapore.

Chwee Kway: Another great breakfast food that can be eaten any time of the day. I don't really have a particular place to recommend as most places that serve it tastes great.

Durian: I hate this fruit but there's a result it's the unofficial fruit of Singapore.

Nasi Lemak: This is another great local dish to try. The rice and the sambal chilli is an addictive combination. My favorite is the Adam Road stall but I'm not sure if it's still there.

Roti Prata: An Indian dish that cannot be found in India, only in southeast Asia. Most places serve decent roti prata but my favorite is the one in Upper Thomson, Jalan Kayu, and casuarina prata. All 3 makes prata in a different style but you can't go wrong with any prata you find. My go-to supper food.

Chicken rice: My favorite place for chicken rice is Nam Kee at United Square. Nuff said.

Curry Puff: Singapore has lots of great curry puff. My personal favorite is the flaky A1 curry puffs

Feb 17, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #281 of 632

Ok! So here's a rough food guide to Singapore. If you google "Singapore Delicacies", you'll definitely find alot of guides. I'm just going to attach a list here and highlight a few of my favorite: Singapore food guide

Bak Kut Teh: Song Fa is the restaurant that I'm familiar with, with multiple chains all over Singapore. The problem is that at times, the soup can be too peppery. Another alternative that I like is Old Street Bak Kut Teh, which has a few chains all over Singapore too.

Wanton Mee: Best eaten slightly spicy with pickled green chilli on the side. Pontian has multiple chains all over Singapore and is my go to place when I'm in the mood for it.

Fried carrot cakes: Comes in black (with dark soy sauce) or white. I don't really have a recommendation for this, basically just eat it if I see it in a food court or hawker center

Kaya Toast and Soft-boiled Eggs with local Kopi (coffee): A DEFINITE must eat that is not restricted to breakfast only. Ya Kun is all over Singapore, other choices instead Wang's and Toast Box. Kopi is cheaper than Starbucks and taste better too, IMO.

Crabs (Chilli or Pepper): As I'm not a fan of crabs.... No comment. But Singaporeans love them so you should probably try them.

Laska: 328 katong laksa is probably the one that you should try. Most of my laksa is home cooked and the only restaurant that I've eaten at for laksa is 328 katong laksa.

Curry Fish Head: My favorite is the Assam style due to the sourness, but again, most of my curry fish head is home cooked

Bak Chor Mee: One of my favorite food in the list, in fact, I just had it for lunch! My favorite is Meng's Kitchen at Upper Thomson Road but it can be quite out of the way for tourists.

Oyster Omelette (Orh Lua): I don't like oysters so I normally just eat the omelette part. I've only eaten it home cooked so I don't really have any recommendation here.

Satay: Good finger food, available in most hawker centers, you can't really go wrong with these.

BBQ Sambal Sting Ray: I LOVE THESE!! Can be hard to find these though and I can't think of a good place off the top of my head. Maybe others can chip in.

Tau Huay: I hate these but the rest of my family love it, as well as the soya bean milk drink. Mr Bean is a good place with multiple chains all over Singapore.

Chwee Kway: Another great breakfast food that can be eaten any time of the day. I don't really have a particular place to recommend as most places that serve it tastes great.

Durian: I hate this fruit but there's a result it's the unofficial fruit of Singapore.

Nasi Lemak: This is another great local dish to try. The rice and the sambal chilli is an addictive combination. My favorite is the Adam Road stall but I'm not sure if it's still there.

Roti Prata: An Indian dish that cannot be found in India, only in southeast Asia. Most places serve decent roti prata but my favorite is the one in Upper Thomson, Jalan Kayu, and casuarina prata. All 3 makes prata in a different style but you can't go wrong with any prata you find. My go-to supper food.

Chicken rice: My favorite place for chicken rice is Nam Kee at United Square. Nuff said.

Curry Puff: Singapore has lots of great curry puff. My personal favorite is the flaky A1 curry puffs

Great list!!!
Satays, Sting Rays, Chicken Rice are great stuff.
Durian is quite ok tastes like so many things at once it quite hard to pin its taste.

Soft boiled egg on the other hand... was rather strange.

EDIT: I'd add Dim Sums to the list - delicious as well

Feb 17, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #282 of 632
Mm...thanks for the foodie tips. I have no problem with touristy places since my time there wiĺl be very limited. Glutton's Bay is on my ite. That's the Makasuntra? If so, they have branched out in Manila. Kinda' gentrified/ mallified version here. Original is always better.

I am a fan of Singapore-style breakfast. The poached eggs with the soy sauce and the kaya toast dipped into the egg, really yummy. Ya Kun have 3 or 4 branches here but I've never tried it yet. I'm hungry!

Stingrays!! Now that is something new to me.

Feb 17, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #283 of 632
  Great list!!!
Satays, Sting Rays, Chicken Rice are great stuff.
Durian is quite ok tastes like so many things at once it quite hard to pin its taste.

Soft boiled egg on the other hand... was rather strange.

EDIT: I'd add Dim Sums to the list - delicious as well

Seriously... you found durian ok but found soft boiled eggs to be strange... >< What kind of eggs did the MS guys bring you to eat last year?

Feb 17, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #284 of 632

Seriously... you found durian ok but found soft boiled eggs to be strange... >< What kind of eggs did the MS guys bring you to eat last year?

Hahah! Soft boiled egg was basically like a raw egg :D too raw for me personally. Those eggs unfortunately weren't some fancy style place but last second bite at the air port before flying off.

Feb 17, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #285 of 632
Oh yeaaa... sambal stingrays XD!!! Bloody delicious!!

For nasi lemak, obviously Adam Road is the must try one. But Crave's nasi lemak also taste nice, and has many stalls across the island.

Curry puffs, this is tricky because every stall will put their own spin to the recipe. Just like everyone's fave SQ :p. For safe bet, go to Old Chang Kee and Tip-Top taste nice.

And of course, kopi, among the best in the globe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back