CanJam Singapore 2017 (March 11-12, 2017)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #286 of 632
  Ok! So here's a rough food guide to Singapore. If you google "Singapore Delicacies", you'll definitely find alot of guides. I'm just going to attach a list here and highlight a few of my favorite: Singapore food guide

Bak Kut Teh: Song Fa is the restaurant that I'm familiar with, with multiple chains all over Singapore. The problem is that at times, the soup can be too peppery. Another alternative that I like is Old Street Bak Kut Teh, which has a few chains all over Singapore too.

Wanton Mee: Best eaten slightly spicy with pickled green chilli on the side. Pontian has multiple chains all over Singapore and is my go to place when I'm in the mood for it.

Fried carrot cakes: Comes in black (with dark soy sauce) or white. I don't really have a recommendation for this, basically just eat it if I see it in a food court or hawker center

Kaya Toast and Soft-boiled Eggs with local Kopi (coffee): A DEFINITE must eat that is not restricted to breakfast only. Ya Kun is all over Singapore, other choices instead Wang's and Toast Box. Kopi is cheaper than Starbucks and taste better too, IMO.

Crabs (Chilli or Pepper): As I'm not a fan of crabs.... No comment. But Singaporeans love them so you should probably try them.

Laska: 328 katong laksa is probably the one that you should try. Most of my laksa is home cooked and the only restaurant that I've eaten at for laksa is 328 katong laksa.

Curry Fish Head: My favorite is the Assam style due to the sourness, but again, most of my curry fish head is home cooked

Bak Chor Mee: One of my favorite food in the list, in fact, I just had it for lunch! My favorite is Meng's Kitchen at Upper Thomson Road but it can be quite out of the way for tourists.

Oyster Omelette (Orh Lua): I don't like oysters so I normally just eat the omelette part. I've only eaten it home cooked so I don't really have any recommendation here.

Satay: Good finger food, available in most hawker centers, you can't really go wrong with these.

BBQ Sambal Sting Ray: I LOVE THESE!! Can be hard to find these though and I can't think of a good place off the top of my head. Maybe others can chip in.

Tau Huay: I hate these but the rest of my family love it, as well as the soya bean milk drink. Mr Bean is a good place with multiple chains all over Singapore.

Chwee Kway: Another great breakfast food that can be eaten any time of the day. I don't really have a particular place to recommend as most places that serve it tastes great.

Durian: I hate this fruit but there's a result it's the unofficial fruit of Singapore.

Nasi Lemak: This is another great local dish to try. The rice and the sambal chilli is an addictive combination. My favorite is the Adam Road stall but I'm not sure if it's still there.

Roti Prata: An Indian dish that cannot be found in India, only in southeast Asia. Most places serve decent roti prata but my favorite is the one in Upper Thomson, Jalan Kayu, and casuarina prata. All 3 makes prata in a different style but you can't go wrong with any prata you find. My go-to supper food.

Chicken rice: My favorite place for chicken rice is Nam Kee at United Square. Nuff said.

Curry Puff: Singapore has lots of great curry puff. My personal favorite is the flaky A1 curry puffs

as a malaysian, i find these as common food available everywhere haha

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #289 of 632
Mm...are you allowed to order crabs by specifying the approximate weight? In some
Restaurants in Manila, they will actually show you the crabs and weigh them
before cooking so there will be no bill shock after the meal. Also, we have
Seafood markets here where you can actually shop for crabs, prawns and live
lobsters. After which, the restaurant staff will bring it to the nearby cooking stalls/restaurants for
cooking (you can specify the cooking method). Anything similar in Singapore?

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #290 of 632
Mm...are you allowed to order crabs by specifying the approximate weight? In some
Restaurants in Manila, they will actually show you the crabs and weigh them
before cooking so there will be no bill shock after the meal. Also, we have
Seafood markets here where you can actually shop for crabs, prawns and live
lobsters. After which, the restaurant staff will bring it to the nearby cooking stalls/restaurants for
cooking (you can specify the cooking method). Anything similar in Singapore?

Yes you can. Reputable seafood restaurants have aquariums where you can point your prey to enjoy later.

We talking about seafood ya, not other 'aquarium' :D.

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #291 of 632
Yes you can. Reputable seafood restaurants have aquariums where you can point your prey to enjoy later.

We talking about seafood ya, not other 'aquarium'
biggrin.gif

Turf City has one right?

The last time i went there was half a decade ago 
tongue.gif

Feb 18, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #294 of 632
  Turf City has one right?

The last time i went there was half a decade ago 
tongue.gif

The one in Gradstand? I believe so, but never been there myself.

Yea, Turf City underwent a major renovation and became known as the Grandstand. Lots of restuarants of various budgets can be found there, including local food. Easily accessible via their shuttle buses.

The two Chinese restaurants with the aquariums are still there, and the aquariums are one of the biggest and grandest in Singapore. I believed they are called Owen and Ah Yat seafood restaurants. I've only been to the Ah Yat restaurant on special occasions. As you can expect, it's great but also extremely expensive. My favorite dish is their bamboo/razor clams cooked in a spicy garlic glutinous sauce.

They are located on the upper floors and not easily seen.

Feb 18, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #295 of 632
As a fellow Singaporean, I think the best place is the old airport road hawker centre, almost every food which the guys mention on the earlier post are under 1 roof, maybe the food is not the best, but at least is above average, its also very wallet friendly and most important thing is its not very far from pan pacific hotel:)

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #298 of 632
As a fellow Singaporean, I think the best place is the old airport road hawker centre, almost every food which the guys mention on the earlier post are under 1 roof, maybe the food is not the best, but at least is above average, its also very wallet friendly and most important thing is its not very far from pan pacific hotel:)

+1

Feb 19, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #300 of 632

Hey everyone, it's T-SHIRT TIME! 
L3000.gif

To reserve your shirt, please reply in the thread (do not PM) with your Head-Fi handle, the size you want, and how many of that size you want - all separated by pipes. If you need to order multiple sizes, please start a new line. Please note that these T-Shirts will be printed in the USA, so provide your "USA" sizing (generally one size smaller than Asian fit sizing so a US Medium would likely be an Asian fit Large). For example, this is my "order":

third_eye|L|3
third_eye|S|1

T-Shirts are SGD$40 each, and will be both picked up and paid for at the show, although we must have your reservation now in order to guarantee your shirts. The deadline for T-Shirt orders is Wednesday, February 22. As a reminder, CanJam Singapore volunteers do not have to separately order their T-shirts as we will be providing them.

jamesoon | L | 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back