CanJam Singapore 2016 Impressions (February 20-21, 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 22, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #167 of 507
  I tried it. The treble was terrible. Artificial and screechy. Cymbals in particular sounded like a newly invented musical instrument. The midrange clarity is indeed fantastic though. It's a crazy expensive headphone though, so that's not nearly enough to redeem it.

Are you sure you're referring to Edition 8 and not Edition 10?  You're impression sounds like Edition 10.

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #168 of 507
For the kse1500. As a owner, there's 3 things that must be fulfilled before it is actually good. Matching dap/dac, understanding the EQ and using shures olive tips. From experience a wrong match make it sound dead. Any tip but the shures olive messes with the sound signature. EQ built into the amp is really powerful and makes a lot of difference.

Back to canjam stuff:
I talked to the Hifiman rep. Shangri la will probably come out as a headphone with stax connector priced probably above the SR-009 with a date probably end of this year. The amp we see is a pure prototype and is yet to be finished properly. ETA and pricing for that is unknown.

Inadditional to what I posted earlier, I also test the sienheiser 630VB. Quite like those and the variable bass actually works pretty well. Also tried the TG334, love the mids and overal tonality. Dita wise no matter how many time I tried, I find them somewhat veiled. Maybe my matching is bad.

Overall I felt that Canjam was great! Too many things to try and I had only 6hrs to test them all. Hopefully there's another one in the future. This time maybe I should go for two full days.

And I still miss the SR-009 and blue Hawaii. 6-9 months lead time... Time to store up for it haha.

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #169 of 507
CanJam Singapore 2016 was AWESOME! Thanks to the organizers and everyone who attended over the weekend. Enjoy the pictures below! 
wink_face.gif

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Feb 22, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #170 of 507

Are you sure you're referring to Edition 8 and not Edition 10?  You're impression sounds like Edition 10.

There's an Edition 10? The exhibitor was explaining how this was the top end Ultrasone model, but perhaps I must have misinterpreted him. But yes I am sure it was the Edition 8 since it was labelled as such.

Feb 22, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #171 of 507
  There's an Edition 10? The exhibitor was explaining how this was the top end Ultrasone model, but perhaps I must have misinterpreted him. But yes I am sure it was the Edition 8 since it was labelled as such.

Edition 8:

Edition 10:

Which one that you tried?

Feb 22, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #173 of 507
Here's an impression of CanJam Singapore 2016 from another perspective.

I was a volunteer staff for CanJam Singapore under CanJam Global, of which I am tasked to man the registration counter together with my fellow volunteer staffers. This is my first ever Head-Fi meet or any other personal audio related meet for that matter.

CanJam Singapore was phenomenal.

CanJam was a lot more than what I expected it to be. I made many friends at CanJam outside of my fellow volunteers and everyone was very nice and friendly! People were also very liberal in terms of sharing their gear; whenever I saw someone with gears that I have not tried out before, be it an IEM, an amp or a DAP, they were very willing to let me (and my inexperienced) ears try them out and they even took the time to explain what they liked and what they didn't about that particular gear, and we exchanged views on certain audio gear and even on other non-audio related topics!

Ok, now on to the real impressions HAHAHAHA. As I was a volunteer staff, most of my time is spent at the registration counter, so I didn't really had much time to try out much gear, but of those that I did, I was blown away. Here are some impressions that really left an impression on me.

Do note that I am pretty new to many of these IEMs so please don't stab me if i am pretty vague 
redface.gif

Personally, I use the AAW M20s for about 2 or so years now. In case y'all are not familiar with AAW, they are a CIEM brand from Singapore, so most I take my most of my reference from this IEM.

FitEar MH334
One IEM that I really enjoyed was the FitEar MH334. I'm a mids and vocals guy. The mids and vocals on these were absolutely phenomenal. I found the vocals to be the focus while the mids to be very forward, just the way I like it. The instrument separation is miles ahead of what I am normally used to and the clarity is exceptional. I found the bass to have just the right amount of oomph but those who find it lacking may look in the way of it's bigger brother, the MH335DW, which has a boost in the lower end.

EarTech Duals
I was absolutely blown away by how good these sounded. And the price on these is really good and affordable as well! I found the instrument separation and the bass to be very good for a dual driver IEM. They are pretty balanced but still have that oomph in the bass and the clarity on these are top notch. A steal for the price!

There was this guy who came out of the event hall closer to the end of the event and brought out his Mezzo Soprano amp and HD800 for us to try and the sound that came out of these was unbelievable. I am more of an IEMs guy so I don't really know much about headphones but those pair of cans paired with that amp sounded like heaven. The already exceptional soundstage of the HD800 paired with the boost in clarity that the amp brought was so good. I only managed to try them for about 5 mins but I was already blown away. But then again I haven't really listened much to headphones as I prefer IEMs so... *insert moonface emoji

All in all, I really enjoyed myself at CanJam Singapore, and I hope all that went had a blast as well!

P.s. I should really be more active here; I can't even change my avatar due to the lack of posts HAHAHAHAHAHA

edit: while I did try the KSE1500, and while I did find it to sound exceptionally good, it did not exactly "blow me away". Maybe because of what i expected from that price point.

Feb 22, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #174 of 507
I was able to attend the CanJam Singapore and it was one of the best experience of my life!!! Lots of awesome gears and people. I'd just like to share my impression about the best of the best that I've heard:

Best system was the SR009 with the Blue Hawaii Amp (I forgot what DAC was used)

This was my first time to use and electrostat headphones/system and I was literally mindblown. The transparency, PRaT, balance, details, and musicality were off the charts. Granted, I find musicality in gears that are considered analytical or highly detailed, the SR009 was perfect for me. I was able to compare it with the HE1000 side by side and the SR009s were beating the palanrs in all categories, there was no competition to my ears. 

I was able to use the Orpheus I as well for 10 minutes and it was really great too! Just not as good as the SR009s for me. The Orpheus sounded a little bit weightier and less transparent. Though I myself wouldn't trust my impression about the Orpheus because I was not able to use tracks that I am considerably familiar with. 

I was able to also experience all the available Stax electrostat phones and what I can say is that electrostats are on another level compared to the usual drivers. They're just too clean sounding, with almost no distortion as I cannot detect any while using them. The Stax L500 which was the most affordable was already so good that I would have bought it if I had the financial capability. 

Aside from the electrostats, I was able to enjoy the HD800s too and compare them with the HD800. Both were good and the difference I heard were the HD800s had a little more bass and little less highs, with the soundstage feeling a little bit compromised too. I had troubles picking which pair I liked better but I thought I liked the original HD800 better. 

The FLC8s were amazing! Im not saying they're better than the JH offerings since I was not able to test them side by side, but knowing that the FLC8s exist, I felt like the JH were overpriced.

There were disappointments too. The mad dogs were not as good as I expected them to be, and the Beyerdynamic T1 Gen2 were lacking a lot for me to consider them as TOTL. The highly priced HE1000 too were somehowe underwhelming even if amped properly.I'd pick the HD800 over the HE1000 in anyday. 

Of course, all of these are my personal impressions and experience and I am happy that I was able to attend canjam. I apologize for the scattered impressions I shared but I just can't keep my feelings about em' phones I just had to share them like this! 

This is music to my ears since last night, after 3 years of temptation, I ( finaly ) made my déposit for a BHSE and also decided to buy a HE-x instead of a HE-1000 (that I never find THAT special and worth the extra $1500)

Feb 22, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #175 of 507
Where on earth was the Cavalli Portable prototype?

As I know, only Dan (MrSpeakers) had Cavalli Audio Spark with him at the show, lots of people were trying it at his booth. Warren would probably be able to confirm that better than me. I saw it but didn't have a chance to try, as I was rushing for a discussion, and there was a line

Feb 22, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #176 of 507
  Got so much fun at canjam! Great show indeed! Here some photos for things that really special for me (the rest is in my profile):

Super impressive IEM from Soranic. love this!

K2 Craft on Fitear CIEM

Currently have to sleep, so I guess impression is for tomorrow
redface.gif

Hey there, thanks for the impression! Did I get to talk to you the other day at the table?

Btw where was the K2 faceplate booth? I went to Jaben but they had nothing like this.

Feb 22, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #177 of 507
I never saw the Sennheiser booth free so did not get a chance to listen to HD800S. Spent a long time on the Beyerdynamic booth. I found the T1 V2 underwhelming, to my surprise I loved how the DT1770 sounds. The bass is awesome for a dynamic driver. The soundstage and imaging is very good considering it's a closed back phone. Clarity is superb and treble energy is still there but noticeably less than usual Beyer cans. I left canjam bringing this headphone home.

I was looking for a Bluetooth headphone in Pendulumic Tach T1. But it sounds disappointing. The bass is bloated and imaging seems a mess. I prefer the Jabra Move over it. I was expecting the Tach T1 to sound very close to S1+ (which I have and loved) in a smaller package.

The HE1000 demo is underwhelming. Driven by the EF6 with HM-901 as the source It just didn't impressed me. Did not hear anything special compared to HD800, the original Beyer T1 or even HE6 when I hear those cans for the first time. Perhaps it's the source and the music collection in the demo booth which I am not very familiar with. Too bad they did not allow people to use their own source or a different amp.

Wasn't impressed with the Oppo lineup either. They all are artificial sounding to me. The build quality and comfort however; is top notch in PM1. 

Feb 22, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #178 of 507
Kumitate Trio and Kumitate Radon
sonic bliss in your ears

Feb 22, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #180 of 507
Can anyone tell me which booth the oBravo IEMs were bcos I missed it and feel like kicking myself.

And how were they? Particularly interested in the planar IEMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back