1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

CanJam Singapore 2016 Impressions (February 20-21, 2016)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Next

Last
  1. echineko
    Can, I'm down for it for sure. As long as I'm not flying anywhere with work, I'm good.

2. noobandroid
    we tried to pull people together in the whatsapp group but everyone is so occupied that no fcks were given

3. ezekiel77

Knowing Dunu they will work their a** off. That I am sure.

Also, the naming was indeed DN in the booth, but I didn't enquire further.

4. ezekiel77

Yeah man, Orpheus was king in my book, but that Stax sound... my God that air, that captivating air... is something I'll remember for life.

5. noobandroid
    the stax across the floor totally dominated with all the amps matched, like the blue hawaii

6. jelt2359 Contributor
    The nice guy at the headamp booth said that hifiman is gonna do the Shangri la with terminations that can fit the bhse so future show attendees will be able to try that combination.

That would be sweet.

7. Uncle E1

really think CanJam should allow forumners the option to proudly display their nicknames.  without it, most of us will not know each other even when bumped into.  without all coming forward to introduce yourselves, would have missed even more forumners.

maybe will host a side meet to get to know each other next year.

Emerpus likes this.
  8. echineko
    ClieOS is the only guy I saw who actually displayed his forum nick, though he had to write it himself with pen. But you're right, it did help identify him. Not to mention easier for those who prefer to be private.

9. somanydynamos
    something like those gamers nicknames

i.e Rowan 'Mr Bean' Atkinson

10. somanydynamos
    and yes, i thought he was just another photographer until i saw some scribbles on his tag and i decided to zoom in with my eyes

11. gyx11
    The remainder of my impressions on IEMs. There were quite a few other IEMs that I tested at the show that didn't make it to either of my lists, mainly because they left no lasting impression and would likely have been at thrown into the not-so-good category or thereabout.

I also neglected to mention in my previous impressions that the test equipment for all IEMs was either/both my iPhone 6 streaming HiFi Tidal through Wifi connection, or an iPod Touch strapped to a Geek Out v2+ with 3.5mm unbalanced TRS.

Pretty Nice:

Cosmic Ears C6EP Demo – This was the very first IEM that I tried at CanJam, and I cannot remember much about this any longer except that it sounded excellent. It is quite a musical monitor, had nice air to it and very good clarity and detail. Perhaps the only reason why the CE6P is not listed amongst the best I heard during the show is the treble presentation. To be honest I’m still a little undecided if I like it (definitely warrants another listen), but it sounded quite detached from the rest of the frequency range. It had a certain lift that gave a perceived feeling of great spaciousness and soundstage, but also a sense of disjointed artificiality.

1964 Ears Adel A10 Demo – This was really strange because it sounded completely different from the Adel U10 that is currently in my possession. My interest in the U10 stemmed originally from 1964 Audio marketing the A10/U10 as dead neutral. A short audition session of the A10 demo at Music Sanctuary gave credence to this claim and it became one my favorites. When I first heard the U10 however, I happened to like the sound tremendously though it was contrary to my expectations – it was anything but a flat tuning.

The very same A10 demo was here again at CanJam, and doing some quick testing with the U10 on hand, the U10 seemed essentially a supercharged A10 demo. They share an almost identical sonic character, except that the bass of the U10 is way heavier and the mids are noticeably thicker and upfront. In general, the A10 Demo and U10 have a coherent sound with good technicalities across the board, though most notable is the air between instruments and the depth of stage, which are both amongst the very best. I have not read enough of the Adel module to understand what it brings to the table, but this would be the logical explanation for the contrast between the A10 demo and U10.

1964 Ears Adel A12 Demo – This actually sounded quite similar to my U10s, though the bass presentation is different. The bass of the U10 hits hard and is quite upfront whereas the A12 Demo is relatively less impactful but with longer decay and more rumble.

Unique Melody Lineup – I had a listen to the 10 driver model, the new hybrid model, and the retuning of another lesser driver hybrid. I can’t remember how each of them sounded as it was a super short stopover at the UM booth, but they all sounded impressive, and perhaps deserve to be placed one tier higher in my rankings. All of them sounded coherent and organic. No weird spikes or bumps anywhere. Will definitely drop by Stereo Electronics in my free time to give these a more honest appraisal.

FitEar TG334 – What lovely mids! Up there with the very best I’ve ever heard in an IEM. There is no doubt that the tuning of the TG334 was designed to draw focus to the vocals and nothing else, but as compensation I felt that the overall sound was lacking in bite in both the bass and the treble for my preferences. I can see why the TG334 has acquired its cult status though. It is a niche IEM that works absolutely great with certain types of music.

Echobox Finder – I can’t recall who was manning the booth when I dropped by (a really amicable dude from Michigan) but in our conversation he gave quick mention of how the Finder is extremely responsive to burn in. When I tried the unit on demo it had gobs of bass and ultra-recessed mids, and sounded so weird that it was almost nice (if you get what I mean). He then lent me his personal pair and it was like listening to a whole different IEM altogether. His Finder was much more balanced, but with a very taut bass that had some great impact. The rest of the sound spectrum was quite good as well. Good detail and clarity, spacious sounding. I liked them quite a bit and although I can no longer remember the exact MSRP, I did recall finding it well worth it.

The Not-So-Good:

Dita The Truth (All Editions) – I didn’t quite like the treble as it sounded artificial to my ears. The other technicalities sounded quite decent to me, but nothing that felt outstanding. I was also quite put off by the fact that they designed multiple variants of the exact same IEM based on exactly the same drivers, configuration and tuning, with the only difference being a different cable, cable configuration, and shell material (and price of course). Call me cynical but I cannot comprehend why they did not choose to adopt removable cables and then offer the Van Den Hul cable as an optional upgrade. Sound wise, the Truth Edition didn’t sound a whole lot different than the non-Truth.

Empire Ears Zeus Demo – A disappointment. I really wanted to like these but I could not. The sound was too colored to my liking, there was not enough air between instruments, and there was just a feel of congestion that I could not quite put my finger on. There were plenty of positives though. Hyper-detailed, non-fatiguing sound, amazing depth and layering, and very nice bass. For all the acclaim the Zeus was getting, coupled with its 14 drivers and the pretty high price tag, I didn’t feel it was all that spectacular as a complete package.

Jomo Audio Genesis Demo – A disappointment as well. These were not that bad, but I truthfully could not hear anything special about them. They just struck as a normal mid/high-tier IEM, and certainly not a revolutionary, industry-defining product with a certain niche area. The 1964 Ears Adel series boast a certain kind of effortlessness and spaciousness that has come to define it. The KSE1500 also had a different kind of flow and ebb to the way music was presented that was markedly different to any conventional BA-based monitor. I would however not have been able to distinguish the Genesis from any of the top IEM offerings already currently available in the market. Given the supposed trump card of the Genesis is in its IsoFlux technology and material of the internal wiring network, one would expect there to be at the very least a certain niche aspect to the sound. I have great hopes for Jomo Audio because I adore the Jomo 4 and Jomo 6R very much (I would take either of them over the Genesis), but this just didn’t really cut it, not for the price anyway.

The Bad:

HUM Pristine Reference Demo – This is probably contrary to all other impressions so far, but I didn’t like the Pristine Reference. I must first admit that I spent just a couple of minutes on these right at the start of the show and did not give it much due diligence. However, the reason why I moved on quickly was because of the treble performance that I disliked immediately. It was thin, artificial, and bordering on splashy. In the midst of so many people at the meet who mentioned the Pristine Reference as one of their favorites, I hope to try these out again sometime soon.

Atomic Floyd Superdarts/Titanium – The treble was easily the most offensive and screechy that I have ever heard in an IEM. Perhaps this could be an issue similar to the Echobox Finder, but based on the units that I auditioned, it was just too unpleasant to spend more than a minute on the Superdarts, and even less so on the Superdarts Titanium, which was somehow even more offensive. The funny thing is that there were some quite redeeming characteristics like the overall clarity and detail in the midrange, as well as the overall aesthetics, but the treble just destroyed all of that. James was a super cool guy who was very intent on getting honest feedback on his products, and he did acknowledge that the Superdarts were definitely too bright for normal listening.

The guy who was beside me basically yanked the Superdarts Titanium from his ears after less than 20 seconds and handed them back with a brutal ‘nope, these are way too bright’, and I felt almost cruel wanting to do the same as well. James did give mention that they were revamping the entire lineup, and given that he’s very aware on the general sentiment, and assuming that some of the positives can be built upon, I wouldn’t count them out just yet.

12. Uncle E1

hahaha!  very obvious that you are a BA driven person and not into DD.

13. gyx11
    Yup perhaps that's true! I absolutely loved the AAW DD universals and (if it counts) the FLC8S as well though :)

14. noobandroid
    i feel radius iem are designed to fit very specific music and mine totally trashed it, making the radius flagship sounds bad

15. noobandroid
    gave the atomic floyd guy and echobox a postcard of sabah, since i saw them make the effort to come here alone, and would certainly like to bring something back so i gave them as i see worth

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Next

Last
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.