CanJam Singapore 2016 Impressions (February 20-21, 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 25, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #406 of 507
 Noble Savant   v/s   K10's

some similarities, but internally, build construction, technology not much in common.  The K10 and the Savant do not have any drivers in common.   They do compliment each other, but I wouldn't say they are VERY similar.

Cheers

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Feb 25, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #407 of 507
So in typical fashion, just on the 2nd day of Canjam I start to get a slight sniffle, and by the time I get back on Monday it's developed into a full-on fever :/ Next time, I'm packing Purell. As I'm now feeling a bit better, thought I'd finally pen some thoughts.

The main objectives for me over this inaugral Canjam Singapore were to try all the summit over-ear headphones on my list, namely the Stax SR-009, the JPS Labs Abyss, the Audeze LCD-4, the Sennheiser HD800S, the Hifiman Edition X (having already demo'd the HE-1000 extensively in Beijing previously) and Shangri-La prototype. As an added bonus, there's also the Sennheiser Orpheus (original release) available to try. Other notable items of interest included the Headamp BHSE, the Cavalli Audio Liquid Spark, the Chord Electronics Dave and Hugo TT, the Yggy/Rag stack from Schiit Audio, the MrSpeakers Ether-C and comparing my modded Fostex TH-X00 with it's siblings.

The opportunity to simply be able to cover this vast (and frankly staggering) amount of gear in one venue, and still ONLY scratch the surface of what was available (haven't even touched on ANY portable gear I tried), is personally the best part of the whole thing. Add to that the social aspect of meeting up with both forum regulars, headfi crew, industry insiders, etc. I personally also enjoyed talking to a lot of the vendors from across ASEAN and further afield who were either displaying wares, or even looking to make future connections at the event.

Overall, the positives were varied and numerous, here were my key takeaways:

• Jude and the headfi crew work their butts off getting things sorted, fantastic effort from all, volunteers included. And of course the various vendors who set up their booths pitched in their part, with their respective teams.
  • Having a decent go-bag proved essential, with various connectors, cables, earphone tips, portable sources, battery packs etc. Purell and power bars to be included for next year. Who needs lunch, there's auditioning/sessions to be attended to!
  • I've been overcome by the Stax sound, thanks in no small part to the excellent feedback from Douglas and Desmond at the Stax exhibit, and as I said at the time:
    All that remains is clearing it with the wife
  • Having an annual Canjam in Singapore (maybe even on rotation basis in ASEAN) is a great idea, and frankly long overdue. Here's hoping the team behind it can also justify it from a business sense (though if this edition was any indicator, shouldn't be a problem).
  • My conversational Japanese actually came in handy at a certain vendor's table, hopefully they'll remember me if they actually manage to get a deal out of it 
    wink.gif
  • The hotel rates were less than favorable, but I'm sure there will be better leverage next year to get it sorted.
  • Never actually got to ask Dan (MrSpeakers) about formerly being at Sun, will get to it someday...

Note: Not intending to cover any reviews or comparisons in this post, just an overall vibe, but I think point #3 is pretty telling 
L3000.gif

EDIT: Also, Douglas, if you're reading, I noticed the dead link on the Stax site has been updated, well done!

Feb 25, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #408 of 507
   Noble Savant   v/s   K10's

some similarities, but internally, build construction, technology not much in common.  The K10 and the Savant do not have any drivers in common.   They do compliment each other, but I wouldn't say they are VERY similar.

Cheers

Hello! I was surprised to receive a reply from one of the leading producers personally
blink.gif

Well, firstly I should begin with an apology. I made something of a sweeping generalisation, and unfortunately included the K10 and Savant in it.

Whilst there is some aspect of differentiating IEM's by number of drivers on your website (I imagine driven by consumer desire for such info, rather than necessarily being founded on any belief that this is the major factor in a given IEM's sound signature), the two models I highlighted are of course the ones that rather buck this trend anyway
redface.gif

Please excuse my oversight.

On the plus side, I included them in this question as I haven't yet had the chance to try/buy them (and wait with great expectation for that time!), but they're consistently 'up there' when anyone tends to discuss the best IEM's and synergies and whatnot on here. Everything I've read about them makes them sound ideal for my tastes, so I'm inclined to use them as a reference point when discussing other IEM's, along with some that I have actually tried and which may have similarities.

Feb 25, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #409 of 507
Savant is a 2 driver configuration. Nowadays, dual bas iems sound awesome!
beerchug.gif

Feb 25, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #411 of 507
  So in typical fashion, just on the 2nd day of Canjam I start to get a slight sniffle, and by the time I get back on Monday it's developed into a full-on fever :/ Next time, I'm packing Purell. As I'm now feeling a bit better, thought I'd finally pen some thoughts.

The main objectives for me over this inaugral Canjam Singapore were to try all the summit over-ear headphones on my list, namely the Stax SR-009, the JPS Labs Abyss, the Audeze LCD-4, the Sennheiser HD800S, the Hifiman Edition X (having already demo'd the HE-1000 extensively in Beijing previously) and Shangri-La prototype. As an added bonus, there's also the Sennheiser Orpheus (original release) available to try. Other notable items of interest included the Headamp BHSE, the Cavalli Audio Liquid Spark, the Chord Electronics Dave and Hugo TT, the Yggy/Rag stack from Schiit Audio, the MrSpeakers Ether-C and comparing my modded Fostex TH-X00 with it's siblings.

The opportunity to simply be able to cover this vast (and frankly staggering) amount of gear in one venue, and still ONLY scratch the surface of what was available (haven't even touched on ANY portable gear I tried), is personally the best part of the whole thing. Add to that the social aspect of meeting up with both forum regulars, headfi crew, industry insiders, etc. I personally also enjoyed talking to a lot of the vendors from across ASEAN and further afield who were either displaying wares, or even looking to make future connections at the event.

Overall, the positives were varied and numerous, here were my key takeaways:

• Jude and the headfi crew work their butts off getting things sorted, fantastic effort from all, volunteers included. And of course the various vendors who set up their booths pitched in their part, with their respective teams.
  • Having a decent go-bag proved essential, with various connectors, cables, earphone tips, portable sources, battery packs etc. Purell and power bars to be included for next year. Who needs lunch, there's auditioning/sessions to be attended to!
  • I've been overcome by the Stax sound, thanks in no small part to the excellent feedback from Douglas and Desmond at the Stax exhibit, and as I said at the time:
  • Having an annual Canjam in Singapore (maybe even on rotation basis in ASEAN) is a great idea, and frankly long overdue. Here's hoping the team behind it can also justify it from a business sense (though if this edition was any indicator, shouldn't be a problem).
  • My conversational Japanese actually came in handy at a certain vendor's table, hopefully they'll remember me if they actually manage to get a deal out of it 
    wink.gif
  • The hotel rates were less than favorable, but I'm sure there will be better leverage next year to get it sorted.
  • Never actually got to ask Dan (MrSpeakers) about formerly being at Sun, will get to it someday...

Note: Not intending to cover any reviews or comparisons in this post, just an overall vibe, but I think point #3 is pretty telling 
L3000.gif

EDIT: Also, Douglas, if you're reading, I noticed the dead link on the Stax site has been updated, well done!

You and I both, don't worry, I'm not placing the blame on u, I got a deep cough, slight fever, headache....   bought some Zithromax today...   I'll wait to see how things go before I start taking it.   My wife, as usual....  no issues at all.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Feb 25, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #413 of 507
You and I both, don't worry, I'm not placing the blame on u, I got a deep cough, slight fever, headache....   bought some Zithromax today...   I'll wait to see how things go before I start taking it.   My wife, as usual....  no issues at all.

Haha, good hanging out with you too, John. Thanks again for helping with the cable on my K10, it's been singing since I've got it

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #415 of 507
Actually I also came down with a nasty bug. Couldn't even make it to day 2. I'm still recovering now.

Would like a badge too please :)

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #416 of 507
Yep, I did take a lot of photo during the two days event.

At the Entrance

CJSG16-01.jpg

Big thanks to the volunteers especially since they didn't get to enjoy the show as much as the visitors.

CJSG16-02.jpg

...and who are these gentleman?

The Main Show floor

CJSG16-03.jpg

CJSG16-04.jpg

CJSG16-05.jpg

Sennheiser took the prime spot

CJSG16-06.jpg

CJSG16-07.jpg

No CanJam can be without the Orpheus? Didn't get to listen to it as there is always a line there.

CJSG16-08.jpg

From left: Beyerdynamic, Final Audio, Echobox and Jomo Audio

CJSG16-09.jpg

Final Audio

CJSG16-10.jpg

From right: AAW, LendMeUREars

CJSG16-11.jpg

Listened to AAW's flagships W500 and it is quite good, but it is their Nebula 2 and the Q prototype that surprised me.

CJSG16-12.jpg

CJSG16-13.jpg

CJSG16-14.jpg

Jomo Audio - their flagship 6R is also a very solid ToTL CIEM, especially with the Linum cable.

CJSG16-15.jpg

LendMeUREars - representing FLC, VSONIC and DUNU. The FLC8S is kind of the star on their booth.

CJSG16-16.jpg

The DN2002 prototype - as about as good, if not better sounding than DN2001. A but on the bassy side.

CJSG16-17.jpg

DK3001 and DK4001 sounds quite good as well, but the ergonomics probably need more work.

CJSG16-18.jpg

Echobox - quite good sounding, fairly neutral and detail. It looks and feels much better than the picture actually. They said they still need to fix a couple of small bugs before release.

CJSG16-19.jpg

CJSG16-20.jpg

AV Intelligence is representing a couple of brands.

CJSG16-21.jpg

ACS

CJSG16-22.jpg

CJSG16-23.jpg

CJSG16-24.jpg

As far as my own opinion goes, Shangri-La is definitely the star of the show floor.

CJSG16-25.jpg

CJSG16-26.jpg

From left: Oppo, Mr.Speaker, Schiit, Pendulumic and Sony. Pendulumic makes one (or actually two) of the best sounding portable Bluetooth headphone I have ever heard. Definitely going to pick one up in the near future.

CJSG16-27.jpg

From right: Fischer Audio, Soundwave (which representing a couple of brands) and ALO.

CJSG16-28.jpg

Fischer Audio's Planar headphone Odin (no shown here) is quite good sounding as well, but the real hidden gems are the 5 driver and 7 driver prototype IEM that they were showing only to very few to get some feedback. It was actually developed by another Russian guy but Fischer is wondering whether to co-produce it under the Kennerton brand or not. My opinion is that the 5 drivers is just about as good as any flagship universal IEM on the show floor and the 7 drivers is about as good as any CIEM. They are both in very early stage so I didn't take any pictures out of respect, but the feedback from those who got the chance to listen to them are so impressive that they have decided to go into production and we might have a chance to see them before the end of the year.

CJSG16-29.jpg

Headamp on the left and Audionet (representing Lampizator and oBravo) on the right

CJSG16-30.jpg

Got a chance to listen to the few flagship oBravo hybrid IEM with the Planar and AMT drivers - a bit too expensive IMO.

CJSG16-31.jpg

CJSG16-32.jpg

CJSG16-33.jpg

CJSG16-34.jpg

Didn't get a chance to listen to the upcoming Fender IEM, as I don't want to wait for the line.

CJSG16-35.jpg

Ken @ ALO was there.

CJSG16-36.jpg

CJSG16-37.jpg

Didn't find anything interesting on the Sony booth.

CJSG16-38.jpg

From left: Dita, Questyle and the new Korean DAP brand Opus#1

CJSG16-39.jpg

From left: Atomic Floyd, Noble, iFi, Unique Melody, and E1 audio. The Wizard was there.

CJSG16-40.jpg

E1 was showing Cayin desktop gear and the iBasso Oriolus (latest version). The Oriolus is quite a solid IEM as well.

CJSG16-41.jpg

Atomic Floyd

CJSG16-42.jpg

CJSG16-43.jpg

CJSG16-44.jpg

The Opus#1 really got a lot of attention.

CJSG16-45.jpg

Dita was showing their upcoming models as well.

CJSG16-46.jpg

A&K with their DAP and both Beyerdynamic's T8IE as well as the new JH full metal jacket.

CJSG16-47.jpg

Jerry was as busy as usual.

CJSG16-48.jpg

I actually got a chance to listen to all of them a day before CanJam with a couple of guys and the consensus is that the full metal jacket line is overall an improvement over the old line-up and Roxie is by far the most balanced of them all. It will be the one I will get if I am going to get one of them.

CJSG16-49.jpg

Music Sanctuary represented quite a few CIEM and showing a lot of them. There were too many people there all the time so I didn't actually bother to wait.

CJSG16-50.jpg

CJSG16-51.jpg

CJSG16-52.jpg

CJSG16-53.jpg

CJSG16-54.jpg

Meze's Classic 99 is quite a good sounding headphone for the price. The build quality is excellent as well.

CJSG16-55.jpg

CJSG16-56.jpg

Talked to the Brainwavz team and this is actually their first ever audio show.

CJSG16-57.jpg

Kind of surprise that Radius has came as they usually kept to the Japan market only. The two piezoceramic + dynamic hybrid are quite interesting. They are a bit on the warm and smooth side, which remind me of their DDM2 model a couple of years ago. The asking price is however a bit on the high side.

Upper Floor

CJSG16-58.jpg

One of the conference - and this one is about IEM: Wizard @ Noble, Jerry @ JH, Emil @ Lime Ears and Piotr @ Custom Arts talk about IEM, past and future. Hosted by @warrenpchi.

CJSG16-59.jpg

Talked to the Stax guys on why they didn't bring the CES prototype to Canjam and apparently it is because they have decided to make more chance to the design.

CJSG16-60.jpg

CJSG16-61.jpg

Slight disappointment after listen to the KSE1500 - don't get me wrong, it is an excellent sounding IEM on its own right, but I think it doesn't quite have the airy quality that a typical electrostatic headphone is known for and to me that is a rather important bit of the listening experience for an electrostatic headphone (or IEM in this case). Part of me really want to know if the outer transparent shell can be cracked open or not.

CJSG16-62.jpg

Jaben's room

CJSG16-63.jpg

CJSG16-64.jpg

CJSG16-65.jpg

CJSG16-66.jpg

AV One's room

CJSG16-67.jpg

The Dynamic Duo from Chord, they also give a talk about all the tech detail involving Chord DAC's secret source, Mojo as well as Dave.

CJSG16-68.jpg

Can't remember the model name, but Fotex also showing some fantastic sounding new model.

CJSG16-69.jpg

CJSG16-70.jpg

Listened to the S-EM9 - more balanced than their older stuff, which I always think are more stage monitor tuned.

CJSG16-71.jpg

Cozoy is showing the new REI - which is definitely better sounding than Aegis.

CJSG16-72.jpg

Absolutely love the new WA8 - ER8S sounds as good as any ToTL IEM out of it.

CJSG16-73.jpg

Got to listen to @warrenpchi Liquid Spark near the end of the show and all is GOOD!

Feb 25, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #418 of 507
Feb 25, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #420 of 507

Obviously the wife as built up an immunity to you. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back