1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

CanJam @ RMAF 2018 Impressions (Oct 5-7, 2018)

Tags:
First

Back
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
18 19 20 21 22
Next

Last
  1. Calliope
    Thank you! It was such a fun experience and I am definitely looking forward to future CanJams! Thanks for the Gilmore recommendation - I'm not familiar with their line but will certainly look into the Mk2. :ok_hand:

2. Zachik
    ZMF had a Gilmore Lite MK2 on their table, but next to the big ass amps - it was barely visible... :wink:

3. Rowethren
    If possible could you compare the Ether 2 and the Meze Empyrean? Thanks in advance.

Calliope and Hifiearspeakers like this.
  4. Calliope
    Oh! I wonder if perhaps I might have used it over the weekend. I'm really curious now. Thanks again for the suggestion!

5. Calliope
    Happy to oblige, although as a disclaimer I am still honing my critical listening skills, so I may not articulate using the correct terminology. :)

Both the Ether 2 and Empyrean are very detailed headphones, both have spacious soundstage. I feel that the Ether 2 is a bit warmer, and the Empyrean, to me, rendered mids in an interesting way in that there was a lot of separation of instruments, but with the effect of bringing them back together in a beautiful and intimate way. It's a tough call as they are both fantastic headphones with similar yet divergent traits.

Regrettably, I was not able to test the same tracks on both headphones, something I will try to do at the next CanJam assuming both companies are present!

Hifiearspeakers and Rowethren like this.
  6. Rowethren
    Great comparison thanks! I was looking for more bass so I wonder if the Ether 2 would be more my thing. I guess the question that come to mind is if they are both good with different but both good characteristics is the Empyrean worth an extra £1000...

7. Hifiearspeakers
    I’m in the exact same dilemma as you! My next purchase is between the Ether 2 and Empyrean. I’m trying to get as many impressions between them as possible.

PeteSTRADAMUS and Rowethren like this.
  8. Rowethren
    I think I am just going to have to listen to them myself to see if it can justify the extra cost. Hopefully in November I will be able to properly demo them somewhere in London if that is indeed when the Empyrean ships out. The Ether 2s should be sooner but not much point in demoing one without the other. I will definitely give impressions once I have done that though.

Edit: Although I have a feeling I prefer more bass than you do from reading your feedback on other headphones :p

9. Allanmarcus
    They are both fantastic and one cost more than the other.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2018
    MOFOfunk and Rowethren like this.
  10. Rowethren
    Can't fault the logic there! When you get to this level of diminishing returns it is all about the exact preference and all that but yeah I am not convinced that the Empyreans will sound THAT much better. £1000 is a big difference!

11. Zachik
    Apologies for stating the obvious, but some would prefer Ether2 while others would prefer the Empyrean. You'll have to try both and decide :wink:
    Also, don't forget the Ether2 is (very) open. Zero isolation. The Empyrean is closed back. That by itself could be the deciding factor for many...

Allanmarcus likes this.
  12. Rowethren
    I agree with your points but I am pretty sure the Empyrean is open.

13. Hifiearspeakers
    The Empyrean is most certainly open back.

14. Barra
    The other issue was that both the Ether 2 and Empyrean were set up on different systems and were both new listens for me so there are a lot of variables and moving parts.

The Ether 2 was a much more memorable and mesmerizing experience for me of the two. However, the E2 was connected to the new Chord Mscaler/TT2 setup and the Empyrean was not. Therefore, I can only tell you that if you buy the Mscaler/TT2/E2 as a complete package you will very likely be extremely happy and your wife will miss you as you will never leave your listening room again. :)

15. Maelob
    Or she may kick you out of the house, when she finds out that you spend north of 10k in headphone equipment LOL

First

Back
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
18 19 20 21 22
Next

Last