CanJam@RMAF 2011 Listening Impressions Thread
Oct 17, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #332 of 678

Quote:
Personally, I am more irritated by the pricing being driven by what the market can bare vs. being based on the cost of bringing it to the market + "reasonable" profit margin to support the company. In the case of lcd3, I was very skeptical because there was no clear explenation on the cost other than "It will sell...".

While I understand your frustration,the market will always determine the price and level of sophistication for products. If few people purchase Ray's Dark Star or the new Woo mono blocks these designers will be forced to scale back to less expensive products. Isn't that how it should work?

What else should drive the price?

Regarding the LCD-3s, the $2k price has not broken new ground. There are a bunch of models at or above that price. Plus, one can still pay $1k for the 2s. This seems like a win-win situation. 

Until people stop saying "I want better" the new products will continue to emerge at higher prices. 

Oct 17, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #333 of 678
Keep the pics and impressions coming!

Oct 17, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #334 of 678
I have to applaud a company like Schiit.  You know they could have asked for more money for the Lyr.  They seem down to earth with their pricing.  Lets hope it stays that way when their statement amp comes out...

Oct 17, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #336 of 678
As for the money issues... Generally I'm fine with flagships costing thousands of dollars, because I won't buy this anyway, it's not like it's the only choice. As someone wrote before, we have a choice.

BUT (there's always a but) I've a fear that in the future mid-tier headphones prices will go up, Sennheiser's currently doing it.

Oct 17, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #337 of 678
People will buy what they can afford. As long as you have a seller, life's good. Look at drugs... if they were legal they'd be cheaper :)

Oct 17, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #338 of 678

Quote:
As for the money issues... Generally I'm fine with flagships costing thousands of dollars, because I won't buy this anyway, it's not like it's the only choice. As someone wrote before, we have a choice.

BUT (there's always a but) I've a fear that in the future mid-tier headphones prices will go up, Sennheiser's currently doing it.

You can buy HD650's today for less than you could 3 years ago.

Grado's prices have remained pretty steadfast despite inflation.

Beyer DT880's haven't gone up.

AKG K702's are the same or less than they were a year ago.

There are more good <$500 amps and DAC's than I can fit in my house.  I own a very good 2-channel audio system that cost me >$10K to put together.  I can replicate to sound (tho not the soundstage) for under $1000 in headphones.  THAT is what's great about this hobby.  I love that the state of the art is out there, but it's more fun for me helping someone start out with a Little Dot MKIII and HD-600's...seeing the look on their face for about $500.

Oct 17, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #340 of 678

Quote:
(responding to:BUT (there's always a but) I've a fear that in the future mid-tier headphones prices will go up, Sennheiser's currently doing it.)

You can buy HD650's today for less than you could 3 years ago.

Grado's prices have remained pretty steadfast despite inflation.

Beyer DT880's haven't gone up.

AKG K702's are the same or less than they were a year ago.

I think nsk1 was talking about future mid tier releases, such as the HD700 which is supposed to be mid-fi (relative to 800) and run 7-800$.  Beyer has already put out the T70's which by the same definition would be mid fi at 6-800$, (too lazy to look up the price but it should be somewhere in that ballpark.)

So yes, your points are true, existing mid-fi headphones wont go up, especially as new TOTLs come out.

Oct 17, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #341 of 678
Just some notes:

1. 009 + BHSE - For my tastes, this was the best rig at the meet.
  2. LCD-3 + Pinnacle - Wonderful.  Seriously great.  If I had to go dynamic only (and had the money), I could easily live with this combo and say "done."  The HD 800 also sounds great out of the Pinnacle.
  3. I think TTVJ had the best overall table at the meet.  Todd was able to show very high quality across the entire price spectrum.  Sure, I want the Pinnacle, but I would also be plenty happy living with the Butte.  Pete Millet and Todd are putting out some excellent electronics.  And the Luxman stuff was nothing to sneeze at either.
  4. Woo monoblocks - Outrageous in a good way.  However, I thought they sounded very much like Woo's other high-end offerings, so I'm not sure the price premium would be worth it unless you can afford it and need that last 5%-10%.  The DAC and CD player sounded good and were reasonably priced.  And, as always, it was a pleasure to see Jack and the rest of the folks from Woo Audio.
  5. Cavalli's 'Stat Amp - I'm always happy to see a new 'stat amp come to market.  I had some brief listening time on a Stax 507 and Headphoneaddict's 007, and I thought the amp sounded really good.  Definitely reminded me of my KGSS DX, which is a good thing.
  6. RSA Dark Star - This is a seriously powerful amp.  With what I believe were orthos, the high gain was too high for me.  But the low gain was just right and sounded very nice.  I think the casework looks good in person.
  7. Schiit Stuff - Hadn't heard these amps and DAC before and I was impressed.  Good sound, nice build, good prices.  Hard to argue with that.
  8. Eddie Current - Craig's stuff continues to impress me.  I wish the 'stat amp had been there.

Johnny Numbers did a great job.  I thought this was a terrific meet and really showed the hobby at its best.  It was also my first high-end speaker audio show and I thought that part was fun and I learned a lot.  However, I think the CanJam room had a more community-oriented spirit and was just a more fun and inviting space.  This CanJam was almost all MOTs, which is not like a traditional "meet," but it worked. 

Finally, and I always think ironically for a hobby in which we often talk about "isolation," a Head-Fi meet is about the people.  It was great to see friends old and new.  The MOTs were generous with their time and equipment (and beer!), never resorting to the hard sell.  The members were enthusiastic and supportive.  Overall, a great show.

And thanks, as always, to Jude for this place and for the friends I have made through it.

Oct 17, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #343 of 678

Quote:
Just some notes:

1. 009 + BHSE - For my tastes, this was the best rig at the meet.
  2. LCD-3 + Pinnacle - Wonderful.  Seriously great.  If I had to go dynamic only (and had the money), I could easily live with this combo and say "done."  The HD 800 also sounds great out of the Pinnacle.

Quote:

While I'm sure that Jeff will answer, I did get to listen to this combo and is was phenomenal. It is difficult to compare the WES to the BHSE to the Cavalli offerings as they are at different tables using different sources and audio memory is a tricky beast as well. I did however leave with the impression that Alex had produced an amp that has no problem standing along side the other high end electrostatic amp offerings. Out of those three it was my preference but I really would like to hear them side by side with the same music and source.

Really seems like the 009 still has the lead from the impressions so far, good to know that the CA Liquid Lightning is great with the 009 (more impressions on the two would be great!).  Definitely on my short list. 

How is the bass of 009 out of the Liquid Lightning? (versus whatever rig you heard the LCD-3 on)

Oct 17, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #344 of 678

Quote:
I have to applaud a company like Schiit.  You know they could have asked for more money for the Lyr.  They seem down to earth with their pricing.  Lets hope it stays that way when their statement amp comes out...

While this may very well be true, it could also just be that they've taken a lower margin-higher volume strategy to moving their wares.  Everyone's in this to make money, no?

Oct 17, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #345 of 678

Quote:

I think nsk1 was talking about future mid tier releases, such as the HD700 which is supposed to be mid-fi (relative to 800) and run 7-800$.  Beyer has already put out the T70's which by the same definition would be mid fi at 6-800$, (too lazy to look up the price but it should be somewhere in that ballpark.)

So yes, your points are true, existing mid-fi headphones wont go up, especially as new TOTLs come out.

The Senn 650 has an MSRP of $650, which has nothing to do with what you can buy them for.  Same will be the case with the HD700 after the initial buzz wears off.

The point is, the prices will expand to what the market will bear. The high end aret s going to be the smallest market and the highest prices.  The mid-fi market will need to be larger...so the price will be less.  If you want mid-fi prices to stay low, don't buy 'high' priced Mid-Fi!  Let the manufacturers know that to get your mid-fi dollars, they have to hold the line on price creep.

As long as people are willing to pay it, the companies will charge it! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back