CanJam@RMAF 2011 Listening Impressions Thread
Oct 17, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #362 of 678
What!? That's madness! I'll stick with Woo Double stand... It sure is pretty though.

Edit: I found their website, apparently they're called Klutz Audio (I'm not sure I'd let a clutz hold my headphones!) and they're based in Sweden. The stand is $375!

Oct 17, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #363 of 678
I would like to add that Jason and Mike have been in the high end market previously.  They have made a decision to provide value to the market.  How many companies put out a statement amp at $1k?  From what I know of the capabilities of the Statement amp this will be fantastic value.  Wait until yo are able to compare the Dark Star to the Schiit offering....then determine value or maximum profits....

And cheaper Schiit means more left for a poor mans 009's...the LCD3!  Well hopefully.

Quote:

I guarantee they aren't doing Schiit out of the goodness of their hearts.  They, IMO, employed a solid business strategy from day one...that is, make a solid product and a very fair price...industry leading value...and build a large and happy customer base eager fr your next release. Expand into new categories and expand the base further.  THEN, start releasing new better products and slightly higher margins to which some will upgrade and which will appeal to a higher-end clientele. THEN release a 'Statement' line (likely at an even higher margin) for the high end crowd.  If they price and market right, each 'tier' will make similar gross profit despite selling radically different volumes all while satisfying all levels of the target market. 

Solid business marketing plan. So far, they have delivered in Spades on the 1st phase with the Lyr being considered a giant-killer at <$500 and the Asgard being almost untouchable at $250. The Bifrost DAC is getting (very) early raves. They expect to announce the tier 2 products before the year is out. 

I applaud their efforts and would love to see some of the other small amp companies use a similar forward thinking approach. 

Oct 17, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #364 of 678
Oct 17, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #365 of 678
eek.gif
 I guess you have to be really smart to own one of these
biggrin.gif

Quote:
In other breaking news, "The Olsen Twins' $39,000 Alligator Skin Backpack Is Flying Off Shelves":

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/10/06/the-olsen-twins-39000-alligator-skin-backpack-is-flying-off-shelves/#ixzz1b52fNlNI

Oct 17, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #366 of 678

Quote:
Of the hundreds of components at the show a few stood out.  For me, the Stello Exima dac / headphone amp/ pre sounded very nice.

I've been waiting for some impressions of the DP1. How did you find the sound? How does it compare with the other high-end DAC / headphone amps in the market? The DP1 seems like an excellent all in one solution and great value to boot.

Oct 17, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #367 of 678
With only about 10 minutes of listening it is hard to form anything other than a first impressions opinion, but at least I used my cans.  I like it better than the Mytek for example, but that is just me.  It did not have any obvious faults and sounded very nice indeed.  It would be on my shortlist if I needed all the functions and could afford it's pricetag.  For now I may have to investigate the Stello U3 and it's possible effect on my existing dac for example.  They use the U3 board in the DP1.

Does it compete with other high end dac headphone amps, certainly, like the Benchmark, Mytek, Lavry for example, but I have not heard lots of them.  Did you have any others in mind?

Oct 17, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #368 of 678

Quote:
Yes I bleive that is the High Violoncello II model with a list price of about $80K best horn system I ever heard in a long time.
On the other hand the BottleHead have tube amp kits starting at $220. It was interesting they were using large open reel as a source.

Doc from Bottlehead also works on the Tape Project.  So he's always got open reel tapes playing when he sets up demos for Bottlehead amps and gear.  So not only do you get to enjoy some neat tube amps.  You get to hear $500 tapes played on a tricked out Bottlehead modded open reel deck as well.  :)

Oct 17, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #369 of 678
I think someone was looking for pics of the Wired 4 Sound stuff.  Really dark room so they are craptastic.

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #371 of 678

Quote:
In other breaking news, "The Olsen Twins' $39,000 Alligator Skin Backpack Is Flying Off Shelves":

You can either laugh or cry huh (I am reading a subtext here).
deadhorse.gif

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #372 of 678

I went to this booth several times to listen, very smooth and open sound with headphones. I saw an Absolute Sound reviewer carrying one of these around and he says they love it. He said it was one of the most stable Dacs they have ever had to review.

Quote:

I've been waiting for some impressions of the DP1. How did you find the sound? How does it compare with the other high-end DAC / headphone amps in the market? The DP1 seems like an excellent all in one solution and great value to boot.

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #374 of 678

Quote:
Jason told me the Statement amp will be $750, give or take a few dollars. 

The guys at Schiit are quite different from everyone else....sound quality wise, I'd say the Lyr could have been priced fairly at $750.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back