@vpivinylspinner

Great natural light photographs!
beerchug.gif

Love it!

What pictures?

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #377 of 678
Oct 17, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #378 of 678
Oct 17, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #379 of 678
First of all, I had a FABULOUS time at RMAF.  It was a gas.  I spent much more time in the main audio rooms than the "Can-Jam", but I did still really enjoy the CJ time I had.  Both to the new folks I met, and the old friends I saw again, it was a pleasure!  In spite of my being at the show all 3 days, there were still many people I wanted to meet but never crossed paths with - that is my lone regret.

Below is the LCD-3 with the Apex Pinnacle, with Todd and Pete and Tom.  That was one great sounding headphone set-up!

Here is the HiFiMan EF6 - now due out end of next month.  I didn't hear it but it's a serious looking amp!  I spoke to Fang - Via videoconference!  He wasn't able to make the show.

Sadly I have forgotten what this was...but LOVED the blue tubes!

Here is one of the coolest amps I saw - a giant, powerful, MONOBLOCK 845 transmitter tube based triode amp.  There were actually FOUR different 845-based amps at RMAF.  All sounded very good.  And all were HUGE.  This amp was gigantic, but beautiful:

Here were the Jolida 845-based amps, driving Vin Schweikert TOTL speakers, and with a reel deck as a source - there were a surprising number of reel decks being used as sources, and as a reel enthusiast, I thought that was very cool.

Another beautiful reel deck:

Here is yours truly in front of the $130K/pair Solution power amps, driving $60K/pair Focal speakers.  The sound was awesome, but fortunately I heard better for less...

Best speakers I heard at CanJam were the Vandersteen 7's.  The Nola Baby Grand Reference were also stunning.  Those were in the $50K range.  I also heard a pair of powered monitors with ribbon tweeters from a company called Emotive that were $799 and sounded killer.  There were LOTS of good sounding rooms.  There were also some thing I heard that sounded either disappointing or just plain bad.

The only new headphones I heard were the LCD-3, which I have already commented on.  I will have a review pair soon.  I also met Jason from Schiit Audio in person for the first time, and will be getting my Bifrost with USB to review soon.  I will also be getting a Peak Butte from TTVJ for review, as well as the HiFiMan HE-300.  I am going to be busy!

I loved hearing all the great stuff, but even more loved talking audio with vendors as well as attendees.  That's the best part of it for me.  I lost my voice from doing so much audio gabbing.  What a great event.

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #381 of 678
Hey Rob any more thoughts on the Emotiva Monitors?  What kind of sound signature did they have?  Warm like a B+W speaker or LCD-2?  Ribbon tweeter makes me think they may be tuned to be bright and "revealing".  I'm in the market for some budget speakers and was going to just get another pair of my trusted Mackie HR624 Monitors, which I can get used for 400-500 bucks.  But the word ribbon sounds sexy. 

And it looks like they'll have 2 models even cheaper than those as well. 

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #383 of 678

Quote:
Hey Rob any more thoughts on the Emotiva Monitors?  What kind of sound signature did they have?  Warm like a B+W speaker or LCD-2?  Ribbon tweeter makes me think they may be tuned to be bright and "revealing".  I'm in the market for some budget speakers and was going to just get another pair of my trusted Mackie HR624 Monitors, which I can get used for 400-500 bucks.  But the word ribbon sounds sexy. 

And it looks like they'll have 2 models even cheaper than those as well. 

They were not overly bright, but they did have a good deal of treble energy - and they were being played quite loudly.  But I still thought for the money - since they are powered - they sounded good.  I would be worried that the smaller ones would not have enough bass.

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #384 of 678
I finally completed typing up my notes and commenting on each rig. I made a new thread since it was so long so as to not be bothersome in this one.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/576282/take-a-virtual-tour-of-canjam-rmaf-2011-the-notes-of-my-impressions-of-nearly-every-combination-present-very-long#post_7829493

Oct 17, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #385 of 678
Emotiva has always been really high bang for the buck gear.  Since their original calling card was power amps and processors I don't think their speaker lineup gets as much attention as it could.

Oct 17, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #387 of 678

Quote:
I would like to add that Jason and Mike have been in the high end market previously.  They have made a decision to provide value to the market.  How many companies put out a statement amp at $1k?  From what I know of the capabilities of the Statement amp this will be fantastic value.  Wait until yo are able to compare the Dark Star to the Schiit offering....then determine value or maximum profits....

And cheaper Schiit means more left for a poor mans 009's...the LCD3!  Well hopefully. 

Yes. Mike Moffit started THETA digital. His THETA  DACs were some of the very first outboard DACs.  I owned one for 16 years.  Jason and Mike don't need a sell low and sell in quantity strategy to be successful.  As Kremer has pointed out they made a decision to provide value to the market at reasonable prices.  

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #388 of 678
Oct 18, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #389 of 678

Quote:
First of all, I had a FABULOUS time at RMAF.  It was a gas.  I spent much more time in the main audio rooms than the "Can-Jam", but I did still really enjoy the CJ time I had.  Both to the new folks I met, and the old friends I saw again, it was a pleasure!  In spite of my being at the show all 3 days, there were still many people I wanted to meet but never crossed paths with - that is my lone regret.

--- omitted photos and text not commenting on.

Best speakers I heard at CanJam were the Vandersteen 7's.  The Nola Baby Grand Reference were also stunning.  Those were in the $50K range.  I also heard a pair of powered monitors with ribbon tweeters from a company called Emotive that were $799 and sounded killer.  There were LOTS of good sounding rooms.  There were also some thing I heard that sounded either disappointing or just plain bad.

Three cheers for Vandersteen!

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #390 of 678

Quote:

Yes. Mike Moffit started THETA digital. His THETA  DACs were some of the very first outboard DACs.  I owned one for 16 years.  Jason and Mike don't need a sell low and sell in quantity strategy to be successful.  As Kremer has pointed out they made a decision to provide value to the market at reasonable prices.  

I always wanted to hear Theta.  Tried to buy used for years but could never score.  So Theta and Dunlevy speakers are the two pieces of gear I have always wanted to have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back