CanJam NYC 2024 (March 9-10, 2024)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 3, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #541 of 726
Wow, can't believe it's almost time already. I'll be bringing my new closed back as well as my open back Philphone for people to try. Looking forward to see everyone there!

Mar 3, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #542 of 726
@chrisnyc75 maybe we can get in if my old contact still works there.
I would love that! They finally got back to me after a second email, apologetic for missing the first several weeks earlier, nonetheless they were fully booked the week I had off. Figure I'll try again next time I have some time off from work.

The only functionality this doesn't have vs the original is MQA
This, even if it really was just for computational purposes, is remarkably thematically consistent. :wink:

Mar 3, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #543 of 726
This, even if it really was just for computational purposes, is remarkably thematically consistent. :wink:
I can assure you it really is for compute purposes. If we wanted to include MQA we would have had to cut back other stuff.

We were debating releasing a firmware that does have MQA, but the device UI literally runs at 1.5fps with everything on and not sure how stable it'll be so that may just be a special request thing for if someone REALLY wants MQA back

Mar 3, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #544 of 726
I can assure you it really is for compute purposes. If we wanted to include MQA we would have had to cut back other stuff.

We were debating releasing a firmware that does have MQA, but the device UI literally runs at 1.5fps with everything on and not sure how stable it'll be so that may just be a special request thing for if someone REALLY wants MQA back
I honestly believe you, but I still think it's a really great plot point in the MQA story. :wink:lol

Mar 3, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #545 of 726
Double Blind AB Cable Test:
Here are some details about the double blind test for those who asked:

- the test runs about 10 minutes

- to be double blind, the blind test subject will not know which headphones/cables are being compared and the order is completely random

- the subject will face away from the test setup and the headphones will be put on the subject by a handler from behind

- the headphones are plugged into the same amp and their levels matched

- the subject gets to choose a familiar song as the test song so he/she can readily discern any difference.

- the subject will be asked to give a score from 1 to 5 for the overall sound quality after each test (half scores such as 3.5 are allowed)

- the subject will be asked after each test to choose the two best sound characteristics for each test among six: bass, midrange, treble, resolution, soundstage/imaging, and timbre
- we will share with the result with the test subject right after the his/her test

We hope to get around 25-30 test subjects to make the overall results more valid. We plan to run about 2 tests each hour at Booth D9.
So please sign up by emailing us at gingko@gingkoaudio.com as it only takes about 10 minutes.

Mar 3, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #546 of 726
Double Blind AB Cable Test:
Here are some details about the double blind test for those who asked:

- the test runs about 10 minutes

- to be double blind, the blind test subject will not know which headphones/cables are being compared and the order is completely random

- the subject will face away from the test setup and the headphones will be put on the subject by a handler from behind

- the headphones are plugged into the same amp and their levels matched

- the subject gets to choose a familiar song as the test song so he/she can readily discern any difference.

- the subject will be asked to give a score from 1 to 5 for the overall sound quality after each test (half scores such as 3.5 are allowed)

- the subject will be asked after each test to choose the two best sound characteristics for each test among six: bass, midrange, treble, resolution, soundstage/imaging, and timbre
- we will share with the result with the test subject right after the his/her test

We hope to get around 25-30 test subjects to make the overall results more valid. We plan to run about 2 tests each hour at Booth D9.
So please sign up by emailing us at gingko@gingkoaudio.com as it only takes about 10 minutes.
Count me in . Did this test at RMAF 2018.

Mar 3, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #547 of 726
I'm extremely excited to announce the WANDLA GoldenSound Edition!

If you're heading to CanJam NYC make sure to stop by the headphones.com booth and have a listen!!

- Elevated digital headroom - Many modern musical tracks are produced in a waythat leaves very little headroom in the recording, often referred to as the Loudness Wars, This can cause clipping and additional distortion during playback on most DACs due to the oversampling filter being unable to accurately reconstruct strong transients. The WANDLA has its own digital processing headroom, but GoldenSound Edition has elevated headroom to accommodate it to its additional DSP functions, which are described in below paragraphs. Therefore, WANDLA GoldenSound Edition is highly immune to intersample overs even in bypass mode at full output level, allowing you to play back any music free from additional distortion, and enjoy a higher quality sound. Moreover, due to its DSP functions, now this sound can be even more tailored to your personal taste.

- Spatial Enhancement - The WANDLA GoldenSound Edition features a unique spatial enhancement that utilizes the power of the Ferrum SERCE module to provide an expanded soundstage and improved clarity of separation between musical elements, whilst avoiding the drawbacks commonly found in other approaches. A Headphone Mode and a Speaker Mode are offered to provide an enhancement tailored to each use-case, and this is achieved without any coloration to the frequency response, no additional distortion, and no tricks like added reverb.

- Tube Mode - The WANDLA GoldenSound Edition features a tube mode, which intentionally increases the even-order harmonic distortion produced by the DAC, similar to the distortion added by a tube amplifier. This allows the user to enjoy a warmer, richer sound without directly changing frequency response, and without the other drawbacks commonly found in tube based devices such as increased noise.

- Hardware Voltage Adjustment - The WANDLA GoldenSound Edition utilizes a new hardware level output voltage adjustment of WANDLA motherboard, allowing the user to swap between just below 10 Vrms output to a just below 4 Vrms output. This is facilitated via a dedicated hardware voltage divider, allowing the user to select this lower output voltage and ensure compatibility with all amplifiers, without needing to use any digital volume control, or have the analog volume control components in the signal path. This feature will also be available on standard edition WANDLA units starting with board revision V4.0.

- Impact + - The WANDLA GoldenSound Edition features an Impact + function for those that enjoy a little more low-end in their music listening experience. Though rather than a basic bass-shelf, this feature uses a customized two-band EQ which not only elevates bass but provides additional punch and dynamic impact.

- No MQA - The WANDLA GoldenSound Edition no longer uses any MQA processing, with all content being kept as untouched PCM other than if you choose to enable one of the sound tuning features. All of DSP functions of WANDLA GoldenSound Edition are extensively using processing power of WANDLA’s SERCE module. Therefore, to ensure seamless operation, MQA decoder is not available in GoldenSound Edition.

The WANDLA GoldenSound edition will be available exclusively at https://headphones.com in North America, and through Ferrum dealers in other regions.
It will retail for $3295. (Estimated, subject to change)
For existing WANDLA owners, an upgrade will be available for $600 at a later date.

See some of Jude's thoughts in the CanJam preview vid from 17:55 as well!

I haven't even heard the Wandla yet, and you've already improved it?! Can't wait to check it out!

Mar 4, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #548 of 726
CanJam NYC 2024: Gear Overload Incoming! (Your Early Look)

Head-Fi'ers, mark your calendars! CanJam NYC 2024 is set to break records, promising the ultimate showcase of headphones, IEMs, portable audio, and desktop head-fi gear. Get ahead of the crowd with our exclusive preview of some of the most exciting new products debuting at the show. Prepare for our longest CanJam video ever -- it's a big one!
  • Intro: 0:00:00
  • Desktop: 0:03:25
  • Seminars: 0:43:45
  • IEMs & Cables: 0:52:13
  • Headphones: 1:42:14
  • Portables: 2:18:45
  • Outro & Exhibitors: 2:40:09
CanJam NYC 2024: Gear Overload Incoming! (Your Early Look) - Produced by Brian Murphy, Joe Cwik, and Jude Mansilla

I have a question: Is watching the preview video about a headphone/IEM show while listening to the audio through headphones or IEMs just a bit META?
:L3000:

Mar 4, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #549 of 726
OK folks, the video's been up for a couple days, and that means it's time to check everyone's homework. What are you guys looking forward to trying first? It's tough to select my first stop, but I'm leaning towards getting some early ear time with that Audio-Technica HPA-KG NARU amplifier. The photos make it look just so darn gorgeous, and I'd love to try it paired with the ATH-AKWG.

Mar 4, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #550 of 726
OK folks, the video's been up for a couple days, and that means it's time to check everyone's homework. What are you guys looking forward to trying first? It's tough to select my first stop, but I'm leaning towards getting some early ear time with that Audio-Technica HPA-KG NARU amplifier. The photos make it look just so darn gorgeous, and I'd love to try it paired with the ATH-AKWG.
No contest: The new Drop + Grell headphone
Also rans: FiiO R9, FiiO FT-5

Mar 4, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #551 of 726
Great video! I watched most of it! Ive been in an IEM mode of late so I'm looking forward to trying the annihilator, v16, some campfire audio and some others mentioned. Definitely would love to try Caldera closed, Emperyean 2, Susvara, the Grell open back, the new budget Hifiman amps, and the ZMF amps! Excited 😃

Mar 4, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #552 of 726

My top to the list to demo..

Headphones
  • Caldera Closed prototype
  • Raal 1995 Immanis
IEMs
  • AK x Empire Ears Novus
  • Canpur CP622B
  • Vision Ears VE10
Amps
  • Autio-Technica HPA-KG NARU
  • Aegis (ZMF)
  • Feliks Envy 25th Anniversary
  • Headamp CFA-3 (latest revision)
DAPs
  • AK SP3000T
  • Hiby R8 ii
  • IBasso DX260
DACs
  • Ferrum Wandla GoldenSound Edition

btw @AxelCloris there's no one bring either the Camerton Binom-ER or Exertich Charybdis, right? (two headphones that never make it to the US but I remain intrigued..)

Mar 4, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #553 of 726
My top to the list to demo..

Headphones
  • Caldera Closed prototype
  • Raal 1995 Immanis
IEMs
  • AK x Empire Ears Novus
  • Canpur CP622B
  • Vision Ears VE10
Amps
  • Autio-Technica HPA-KG NARU
  • Aegis (ZMF)
  • Feliks Envy 25th Anniversary
  • Headamp CFA-3 (latest revision)
DAPs
  • AK SP3000T
  • Hiby R8 ii
  • IBasso DX260
DACs
  • Ferrum Wandla GoldenSound Edition

btw @AxelCloris there's no one bring either the Camerton Binom-ER or Exertich Charybdis, right? (two headphones that never make it to the US but I remain intrigued..)
I see Immanis, Feliks Envy 25th Anniversary Edition, Wandla and SP3000T. I'm so looking forward to your impressions post.

Also hopefully someone brings the Charybdis. While I have my gripes with the build the sound Was impressive

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #554 of 726
Mar 4, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #555 of 726
I'm not aware of any dealers who will have those at their exhibits. Camerton Audio lists Prana Distribution as their US distributor, and Erzetich lists Kazoo Audio as theirs. Neither are exhibiting at CanJam New York this year, so I think the only way you're likely to hear either will be if a fellow Head-Fi'er brings theirs to the show for others to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back