CanJam NYC 2022 Impressions Thread (February 26-27, 2022)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #76 of 489
I just want to offer a heartfelt thank you to all of you who are leaving your impressions on this thread. So many of us want to be there but can't for any number of reasons. Whether one wants impressions about TOTL or value optimized offerings at the show, the insights you leave are not only valuable, but insightful. The one constant in this hobby is change. Change in the hardware, change in our listening preferences, change in technology, change in our own perspectives, that the impressions you supply to this thread, are all relevant to someone. Thank you again and I hope everyone has a superb time at the show. Wish I was there.

Feb 27, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #77 of 489
Just picked up a DUNU Titan S at their show special price of $60! So worth it! 😃
You see, if I'd gone to the show, I would have come away with one of those, too.

Feb 27, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #78 of 489
Because they are great sounding amps. I have had the Soloist 3xp and now have the GT. I love both of them as do many many others.
Great compared to what? Is it even an upgrade from 20yr old amb design or gilmore lite?

I did see a good amount of higher end Denafpris DAC's - paired well with the Audeze CRBN
This I will never understand. Why don't headphone and headphone amp manufacturers use better dacs/front end. Exhibitors at the big boy shows don't gimp their room like this. Don't they want to show their gear in the best light? I have known amp manufactures demo their $2k offering using Qutest - why gimp your own table?

Feb 27, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #79 of 489
I focused on iems yesterday, about 10-15 in total.

My current dailys are EE Odin and 64 Audio Tia Trio (w/ ibasso dx300), I listen to primarily trance (edm) with some rap, pop, and metal mixed in.

Standouts for me:
Listen to all w/ my ibasso dx300

Vision Ears Elysium EXT: This bordered on being a basshead IEM, which works well with my play list, high quality/quantity bass and sub bass. That said, the mids had a great sense of weight to them, resolution/detail was top tier, background was clear, and everything coherent. Overall fun and energetic IEM. I owned the original Elysium for about a year and this retains some of what I liked (dynamic mids) while "fixing" a few of my personal gripes (bass quantity, overall texture/weight across the spectrum)

MMR Thummim: I was quite impressed by these. My exact (very crude) notes I took while listening: "clean, top tier detail, vocals good, very open Soundstage, but still really good dynamics, solid bass and subbass, really really good, up there w/ best"
What stood out to me most was the width of the Soundstage, I could actually place notes at different points in space around me which is something that typically only happens with full size headphones for me.

Oriolus Trailli: Crude notes again: "over headphone like staging, top tier res, possibly even greater, respectable bass, good dynamics, vocals forward when they're supposed to be, high energy, clean/coherent, very nice"

EE Legend X: Crude notes: "unparalleled bass, near top tier detail , not fatiguing like se, dynamics really good, partly due to bass....get one"
I'm seriously considering a custom pair with the show discount...if you listen to bassy music these feel like a must have guilty pleasure, just unabashed bass

I also had chance to try a couple full size headphones before I left for dinner, plan to focus on those today.

My current primary (pretty much only totl) full size headphone is the Focal Utopia w/ woo audio wa7

Standout:
Audeze CRBN: I was absolutely floored...I'll need to do more listening today to come up with anything intelligent to say. This was my first time listening to an estat and it was beautiful. Like listening to an OLED tv if that makes any sense, absolutely silent background. That said, it was unique in the sense that I think it'd be complementary to, but not replace a dynamic driver headphone for me personally. I might be in the market after I finish medical training next year.

Once you start living that Attending life, you'll be able to cop all of them.

Feb 27, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #80 of 489
This is my first CanJam, thanks to Kerry and Joe from Eksonic, Bloom Audio did not ask for his name but nice guy, Steve Smith from dCS, Ferrum booth, Jack and Mike from Woo Audio, and Audeze booth for all my audition today.

Most of the tracks that were used for the listening were: Adele - Hello, Adele - When we were young, Eagles - Hotel California/Hell Freezes Over

My first stop Eksonic, Stax SR-007 MK1 --> Eksonic Aeras --> DIY DAC according to Kerry --> Roon, wow the bass is 2nd most impressive in the show tying with the Abyss 1266 phi TC out of Woo Audio 33 standard edition with the Woo WDS-1 DAC. Different types of bass there is resonance in the SR-007 MK1 heard in none of the other headphones except read below.. So effortless in the whole frequency spectrum, while the tonality is very rich. My second favorite pairing in the show.

Stax SR-009s--> Eksonic Aeras (pre-production)--> DIY DAC --> Roon, better separation than the SR-007 MK1 not by much instruments sound amazing. Sounds probably slightly brighter than the SR-007 MK1 guess from the extra separation details.
Jack Woo for Woo Audio walk in took my spot on the DIY T2 :disappointed_relieved:

Stax SR-007 MK1/Stax SR-009S --> Eskonic Aeras (protype)--> Denafrips 'Ares' I believed that was the model --> Roon, heard this setup twice not the same level as the DIY DAC Kerry made, less slam, less dynamic, less lively still better than most of the other setup I heard. The Denafrips definitely the weakness link here.

Stax SR-007 MK1/Stax SR-009S --> DIY T2 --> DIY DAC --> Roon, my favorite of the show slam, dynamic, clarity, details, soundstage, absolutely top notch it slam harder than the Abyss 1266 phi TC to my ears I am sure someone will disagree. It really sound like live music, vocal is beyond amazing. If I got the money, this setup will be my endgame.

Audeze CRBN -- DIY T2 --> DIY DAC --> Roon, not that the same level as the Stax SR-007/009S much leaner, less dynamic, slam, and etc.. You get the point.
Spent about 2 hours in this booth alone.

Audeze booth, Audeze LCD-5 --> Burson Soloist 3X I believe (saw the Noctua fan) --> Nagra HD DAC X I believe --> The playlist on the tablet was "Hotel California" and "Caribbean Blue" by Enya, vocal is quite forward as expected. Soundstage is average, very good details and clarity similar to the Susvara, bass is got good extension and impact definitely not bass lite as some described it. But, probably too much focus on the mid-range kind of masking other part of the frequency spectrum to my ear.

Ferrum booth, Focal Utopia --> Ferrum OOR/Hypsos --> ??? Dac is not on the table. First time hearing the Focal Utopia, I like the sound signature not as mid-forward as the LCD-5 slightly less details, probably similar soundstage to the LCD-5. Bass impact is quite similar to the LCD-5 probably edge out the Utopia a bit except the LCD-5 extends better.

Ampsandsound booth, Audeze LCD-5 --> Ampsandsound Red October 16ohms output (I believed that was the one I heard with the 300B and 5U4G tubes) --> ??? I heard it was pair with the Chord TT2 but I could be wrong hiding under the table --> DAP by Roon? Least favorite combo in the whole show for me, when listening to Adele's Hello and When We Were Young the vocal sibilance/chirp. Not sure if that was cable issue? Perhaps the Audeze LCD-5 is picking up something? Didn't hear that in the Audeze booth. No clam on the headband, think they got it fixed, very comfortable.

Hifiman booth didn't get to hear, too many people.

Bloom Audio, Hifiman Susvara --> Hifiman EF1000 --> Chord TT2/MScaler --> DAP no idea what model. Power up the Susvara beautifully opens up the upper range nicely, still lack of bass impact comparing to the Audeze LCD-5/Utopia, good soundstage, very neutral can be listening to this for long session. The overall presentation is probably my third favorite pairing of the show.

dCS booth, Dan Clark Audio Ether 2 --> dCS Uris XLR output --> Roon. Very netural sounds nothing stands out or out of place, also my first time hearing either the dCS and Ether 2 no prior experience.

Woo Audio listen to almost all the setup except the WA8. What surprises me is the Stax SR-X9000 is not that popular, most of the people were lining up for the WA23 new amp and the WA33 pairing with the Abyss 1266 phi TC.
Audeze CRBN/Stax SR-X9000 --> Woo 3ES --> ??? DAC --> Roon, Stax SR-X9000 seems to be more effortless in the overall presentation good soundstage probably similar to the Abyss 1266 phi TC, bass is still lacking of impact, vocal is as good as the Susvara. CRBN everything is well presented, but kind of a bit behind in details and speed next to the SR-X9000. The bass is slightly more impactful on the CRBN not by much.

Abyss Diana V2 --> Woo Audio WA7 3rd generation --> Roon, a bit mid-forward in the vocal, soundstage is more closed in around the LCD-5. Overall, not bad except the comfort is a bit weird hot spot on the top of the head and the earpad clamp isn't as comfortable as the LCD-5. Heard little bit a chrip in the vocal as well not nearly as bad as the Ampsandsound setup.

Abyss Diana V2 --> Woo Audio WA23 --> ?? DAC --> Roon, similar to the WA7 presentation probably slightly better, didn't hear too much different.

Abyss 1266 Phi TC --> Woo Audio WA33 standard edition --> Woo Audio WDS-1 DAC --> Roon, great bass extension and impact, very good details unfortunely that is all the positive I got for this combo. The mid is recessed really weird compared all the headphone in the show, least favorite mid-range out of all the headphone. Nothing special on the higher spectrum.

Hope I didn't miss anything, thanks for setting up the CanJam experience Ethan third_eye and all the volunteers that make this happen.
The diy DAC would likely be the soekeris DAC think the higher end one.

Feb 27, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #81 of 489
Has anyone perhaps got an idea what this is from Hiby? Image from an Instagram feed, that @gLer picked out.

11707642.png

Attachments

• 1645986202545.png
    1645986202545.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Feb 27, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #82 of 489
Love the impressions, I have gone through each and every post. Thank you all for sharing these , helps us all who can't be there :beerchug:

Feb 27, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #84 of 489
Has anyone perhaps got an idea what this is from Hiby? Image from an Instagram feed, that @gLer picked out.

11707642.png

The newest R5.

The Audeze CRBN and LCD-5 are an experience. The LCD-5 is slightly warmer with thicker notes and sublime clarity. While the Audeze CRBN is more transparent and resolving. Both are balanced, but the CRBN has a more neutral tilt.

Feb 27, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #88 of 489
What stats were being used with Kerry's T2 and babyT2 amps?
I've been very impressed with his amps at past local NJ/NY shows.

(feeling sad i couldn't be there..............)

Feb 27, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #89 of 489
If the KGSSHV is 1800v then the carbon would be above the T2?
Nah, the DIY T2 is 2000v. There was some confusion about V vs. VRM with the 3ES, because Woo Audio lists vrms not v. The 3ES is 1500 vrms, not 1500 V. The other values in that post I quoted are in V, including the KGSSHV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back