CanJam NYC 2022 Impressions Thread (February 26-27, 2022)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 3, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #376 of 489
The Grell TWS/1's Sound Quality is insanely impressive for $200. My Sony XM4 stood no chance.
I didn't expect anyone else to pick up on this.

I bought one of these. It sounded very good. However, for some reason, while it sounds terrific on my iphone bluetooth, on my android FIIO M11 Pro, even though I turn the volume up all the way, it only gets middling loud.

I can't figure this out. This doesn't happen with my Sony Xm4, which is plenty loud on both. I can't blame the Grell, since it sounds fine and loud on my iphone. And I can't blame the M11 Pro, since the Sony XM4 is plenty loud on the M11 Pro.

Any thoughts?

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #377 of 489

I bought one of these. It sounded very good. However, for some reason, while it sounds terrific on my iphone bluetooth, on my android FIIO M11 Pro, even though I turn the volume up all the way, it only gets middling loud.

I can't figure this out. This doesn't happen with my Sony Xm4, which is plenty loud on both. I can't blame the Grell, since it sounds fine and loud on my iphone. And I can't blame the M11 Pro, since the Sony XM4 is plenty loud on the M11 Pro.

Any thoughts?
Did you try turning up the volume on the Grell itself?

Mar 4, 2022 at 1:45 AM Post #378 of 489
However, for some reason, while it sounds terrific on my iphone bluetooth, on my android FIIO M11 Pro, even though I turn the volume up all the way, it only gets middling loud.

Did you try turning up the volume on the Grell itself?
Testing these during CanJam - I noticed the same thing!
According to @Evshrug - the reason is the European required max volume level limiting.

Mar 4, 2022 at 1:57 AM Post #379 of 489
However, for some reason, while it sounds terrific on my iphone bluetooth, on my android FIIO M11 Pro, even though I turn the volume up all the way, it only gets middling loud.

Testing these during CanJam - I noticed the same thing!
According to @Evshrug - the reason is the European required max volume level limiting.

As this is the report & impressions thread, figure I should report "barely loud enough" was the case for me with my Samsung Z Fold 3. I also had numerous drop outs of the left channel during my audition. So it didn't leave the best impression with me.

Mar 4, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #380 of 489
well, just a simplistic statement presented as a universal truths...

...maid be true for you of cause, for whatever reasons: bad can, bad EQ implementation, not the right EQ Target, taste, Knowhow,...

the EQ bashing reflex was (may be) valid some years ago, but time is moving on.

if you are really serious about sound fidelity use EQ. it can compensate, what you HP adds to the original signal.

if you against EQ at all, well in this case you music catalog would be quite limited, as the chance that EQ was used during music production is quite high.
Last sentence. I don't think that this is a valid argument. The goal is to reproduce what was there. "Was there before" is whatever was recorded, irrespective of how.

Mar 4, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #381 of 489
Had a wonderful time at CanJam this year, as expected. Made sure I got there bright and early to cram in as much listening as I possibly could.

For the sake of brevity, I'll condense my impressions into as close to a paragraph as I can on each (tough for me lol). As such, I'll touch on about ten of my experiences on the day (although I certainly had more).

Woo/Abyss Room:

Abyss 1266 TC (on WA33): The most impressive low-end display of the entire show; if bass slam/impact is your thing, look no further than the 1266 TC on a high-powered tube set-up. Overall, out of these, you get a fast, tight signature, wide soundstage, and THAT BASS. Drawbacks are the mids are a bit recessed, tonality isn't the most "accurate" (natural) and you're losing out on some of the transparency/"detail" you might get from some others (see Stax impressions). But, with that said, one of the absolute highlights of the show. Surprisingly more comfortable than you might expect, as well.

Stax X9000 (on WES): Another absolute highlight of the show. Transparency and detail seemed unmatched by any other set-up. Everything just sounded so natural and alive. Fast, fast, fast. Probably the most balanced of the Stax options. The only notable con was the bass isn't going to do it for you if you're used to the impact and depth of the best dynamics or planars.

Audeze CRBN (on WES): For an e-stat, it's very well balanced. If I can only own one headphone and it had to be an estat, I'd take this over any of the Stax options because there was more bass impact. But if I can own two headphones.....I'd take any of the 009S or X9000 over this. I liked how balanced it was, but there was no single element of it that really impressed me over any other headphones in this price point.

Abyss Diana TC (on the brand-new WA23 "Baby Elite"): You can certainly hear some similarities to the 1266 TC here (with respect to the treble presentation and detail retrieval), but the Mids are much more present/forward here, the soundstage is smaller and while the bass is still very fast and tight, not as much impact/slam. If you don't listen to the Diana TC and the 1266 TC back-to-back, I think you'd come away more impressed by the Diana TC than I did, but comparing directly to its big-brother didn't have it coming out as desirable. Still, a very good headphone; although I'm not sure I prefer it over the Diana V2. The WA23 didn't seem like the best amp match for it, had to get quite up near the top of the volume knob to get it loud.

DCA/HeadAmp Room:

DCA Stealth (on GS-X Mk. II): I think DCA did a good job here of avoiding a lot of the pitfalls for me with many closed-backs (which is odd tonality/lack of naturalness), it does indeed sound somewhat like an open-back (certainly more so than the ZMF VC or Focal Stellia do). Sound signature is incredibly clean, with no overemphasized frequencies of material note. Perhaps that's it's downfall, as well, as it just didn't move me much. I was impressed by its technicalities and it's comfort/weight, but couldn't see myself reaching for them much.

DCA Voce (on Blue Hawaii): This reminded me more of the Audeze CRBN than the Stax line; you could tell they went for balance and more depth than you get from the typical Estat. They achieved that to some degree as they seemed more lush and less thin than other Estats, at the expense of not coming away with the exceptional transparency and speed of the top Stax offerings. I can see it as a worthy contender to the Stax 007 perhaps, but it didn't do it for me like the X9000 did.

Stax 009S (on Blue Hawaii): This was another highlight for me; definitely comparable to the X9000 in speed and detail. 009S seems a touch brighter and a little less effortless/natural than the X9000, perhaps a little thinner, as well. Not a sizable overall difference between the two, though, although I slightly preferred the X9000. Overall, worthy of its place towards the top.

Stax X9000 (on Blue Hawaii): Nothing materially different than what I experienced from my impressions of the X9000 off the Woo Amp.

Abyss Diana TC (on GSX Mini):
This was a more preferable pairing for the DIana TC than the Woo WA23, certainly more headroom here and just a bit cleaner presentation of the same items I noted with the Diana TC above.

Eksonic Room:

Stax 007 Mk I (on the brand-new Eksonik Aeras): If you want some of that effortless-ness and speed of a Stax but crave more warmth and body, the Mk I is likely your ticket. I prefer the 009S and X9000 signature, but I can see how the 007 Mk I could be a better long-term listening option if one is worried about listening fatigue. I was very impressed by the Eksonik Aeras; a ton of clean juice to power the 007, and the amp's form factor is much preferable to me over the behemoth chassis of the WES or Blue Hawaii. This was another highlight.

Audio46 Booth:

T&A Solitaire P (on T&A HA200): From a visual aaesthetic perspective, one of my favorites from the show. It's a very classy looking combo. The Solitaire P had a lush presentation and a lot of depth, as well as a delivery I can see working with a wide selection of genres and be pleasing to most's listening tastes. It does border on dark, though, and the soundstage was a bit narrow. No particular element stood out to me but I can see how this would work as a primary driver for many/many styles. Clamping pressure was too weak, and overall build quality didn't scream $6k+. Overall, I'd take a Final D8000 (Non-Pro) over these any day but if you disregard price point, they would be a crowd-pleaser.

T&A Solitaire P-SE (on A&K ACRO CA1000): Sound signature of these is immediately more noticeably neutral than the dark Solitaire P. The treble is less muted here with the P-SE than the P, mids more forward, but bass less thick. Overall, I preferred the sound of the P-SE over the P, and didn't notice any drop in technicalities at all. They seem fairly easy to drive, as well. Build quality of these is a shock for this price point; had a comparable build to a $200 Sennheiser.

Audeze Booth:

Audeze LCD-5 (on a Nagra and Burson Stack): For my tastes, this is the best headphone Audeze has made yet. By far the most balanced headphone I've heard from them; sound signature moves away from the usual Audeze darkness and takes on a more neutral approach. Bass was tight and impactful without being too much, and the overall transparency has increased here (I find Audeze to have a bit of a veil sometimes across their lineup). Another notable improvement was comfort; manageable weight and clamp on these. Overall, well-done to Audeze here for making a fine headphone with no glaring faults.

Dcs Room:

Focal Utopia (on dcs Bartok): Not my first rodeo with the Utopia, but any chance to spend some time with a Bartok is a good time to take lol. The Utopia has a bit of a narrow soundstage, aggressive, in-your-face sound signature and a bit of a "wall of sound" approach. Not exactly my cup of tea, although build quality and comfort are nice and the street/used price of a Utopia makes them a better value than some others.

Abyss 1266 TC (on dcs Bartok): While not materially different than my experience on the Woo, I did get a sense that the bass slam was toned-down a bit on the Bartok, and the treble was a bit smoother here. I felt that the WA33 drove the 1266 better than the Bartok did.

Sennheiser HD800 (on dcs Bartok): Not my first rodeo with these either; going from Utopia to HD800, you really do get hit in the face by the sizable difference in soundstage presentation between the two. While the HD800 or HD800s were never quite near my favorites, it's an undeniably capable headphone, with that impressive soundstage trick and quality comfort, and one of (if not the best) option you can get at a $1k street price.

Bartok certainly does seem to just smooth out anything connected to it. It's an impressive piece of gear, for sure, should one disregard the price point.

I also listened to other notables such as the Meze Elite, Mysphere and the Raal Sr1a. The Mysphere and Raal were tough to judge in this setting, even in the "quiet rooms" I tested them in; the complete lack of isolation made background noise distracting even with relative quiet of those rooms. With that being said, I disliked both; Mysphere was uncomfortable to wear and the bass distortion was comically bad at volume, and while the Raal SR1a was a clear step up, I also got bass distortion at volume. This format just might not be my thing.

Thank you to Head-Fi for organizing this, and for all the volunteers and exhibitors. All of the exhibitors were polite, helpful and knowledgeable; I especially want to thank Audio46 and Eksonik for being exceptionally friendly.

20220226_103149.jpg
Abyss 1266 TC (on WA33)

i didn't care for this at all the mids are too forward, and those headphones are super uncomfortable.

Mar 4, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #382 of 489
Abyss 1266 TC (on WA33)

i didn't care for this at all the mids are too forward, and those headphones are super uncomfortable.
For me, this sound was as end game as it gets.

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #383 of 489
Mar 4, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #385 of 489
Your seminar was great. I had three mics setup but you decided to go in front of the presentation table and make my life harder, hah! Was planning on posting all seminars to my channel. PM if you want me to make you look taller.
Subscribed!
I don’t need to duck under any more doors, thank you for offering. Thanks for accepting my technical difficulties, hope the mic audio was ok 😅

Very much looking forward to CanJam London which, I am sure, will be spectacular!
Me too! grell currently plans to be there!

Any thoughts?

As this is the report & impressions thread, figure I should report "barely loud enough" was the case for me with my Samsung Z Fold 3. I also had numerous drop outs of the left channel during my audition. So it didn't leave the best impression with me.

I also used the TWS/1 on an android player, a HiBy R6 Pro, on the airplane on the way to the show (and booth visitors will have noticed I also had it on the table for guests to test), and we also had an Android tablet for our other test unit. Full disclosure, I also noticed the volume was quiet on takeoff 🛫, I was able to hit 100% and the volume was just OK. However, as I kept listening, a bit after we reached cruising height, the volume got louder and I was able to comfortably use it with my android player at 64% for the rest of the flight. I also started watching Dune on the return flight, and I had plenty of volume headroom then as well.

We do have to observe European volume limits, but I think there’s something else going on too. We need to look into it more, but my current theory is some combo of ambient noise + psychoacoustics, and ANC needing to borrow more volume power… though it’s worth noting that we took our four samples straight out of the box on day one, and updated the firmware Saturday Night (which increased the max volume) and we had less volume complaints day 2. Axel caught a bit of a fever, so he’s working on that, but he may have better thoughts when he’s back to 100% @ipaddy keep me updated! And if you haven’t yet, update to firmware 2.3.0!

And yeah @m8o, I was crestfallen about normally well-behaving units having dropouts at the show. After the first day, we took the demo units back to our hotel rooms, ran firmware updates, and I thought we had fixed them after a somewhat unsettling dinner gave me the opportunity to listen for several flawless connection hours in my hotel room and walking back to the show… only for the issues to come back on the show floor again.

Both WiFi and Bluetooth use the 2.4 GHz band, and Axel used an app to calculate how much traffic was being sent on those bands within the show room; it was pretty much a worst-case scenario for wireless products, and other companies told us they were having dropouts at their booths nearby, too. With that in mind, everyone who visited was super kind, and the issue seemed to come in waves and we appreciated everyone who stuck around to hear it when the noise subsided.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #386 of 489
Interesting, I thought it was dry and antiseptic.
Best bass response I have heard in a headphone which is important for a bass head like me. And, the WA33 really balanced out the sound.

Mar 4, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #387 of 489
Interesting, I thought it was dry and antiseptic.

I was fully expecting them to be highly uncomfortable, but they wound up actually being tolerable for me (and I'm very weight sensitive). The way they suspend on one's head seems to distribute the weight nicely. Still, nowhere near as comfortable as a Stax or an ADX5000, etc.

As for the Mids being too-forward, my findings were quite different. I thought it was quite bottom-heavy, with some regions (vocals) being actually somewhat a bit recessed. But the soundstage and the tremendous bass impact made it a highlight for me.

Mar 4, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #388 of 489
I was fully expecting them to be highly uncomfortable, but they wound up actually being tolerable for me (and I'm very weight sensitive). The way they suspend on one's head seems to distribute the weight nicely. Still, nowhere near as comfortable as a Stax or an ADX5000, etc.

As for the Mids being too-forward, my findings were quite different. I thought it was quite bottom-heavy, with some regions (vocals) being actually somewhat a bit recessed. But the soundstage and the tremendous bass impact made it a highlight for me.
Exactly my impressions of it. I am now fine with the comfort. I will add the 1266TC to my collection when I can sort out the amping and DAC requirements. If it sounds good with my current gear, I might get it later this year.

Mar 4, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #389 of 489
Yeah, that's the problem with Canjam, sensory overload...and I only listened to these things for a minute...You need to spend a month to see what it really can do.

Mar 4, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #390 of 489
Not sure if it had to do with the dac which it was hooked up to, (and obviously take all this with a grain of salt because meet conditions etc.) but I was genuinely unimpressed by the OOR + Hypsos combo at Canjam. I listened to it with a couple different things: my Mini (Custom headphone made by a start-up), a Utopia, and a few other ETA's (The startup in question). Overall, it sounded very reminiscent of two much cheaper amps: the JDS Atom, and Magni Heresy. In short, it sounded like a cheap op-amp implementation. Now, I'm not sure if that's how the amp is actually designed, but the sound overall was, despite being pretty clear and for the most part timbrally correct, very dull and unengaging. Transients lacked edge and slam, microdynamics were almost completely absent, and the music sounded, though not "off", as if it really lacked (to use a term Ferrum likes) "Soul". This is probably attributable to the fact that the amp just didn't seem to dig very deep, and smeared over the finer gradations of music (what many refer to as "texture" or "plankton"). I think it tries to get away from some of the characteristic problems with SS by having what is definitely a warm tonal bent, but this just ends up masking over some detail in the treble, I think. It also sounds pretty "Slow": not in a "rounded transients" sort of way, but more in the sense that individual notes were not particularly visceral or immediate sounding.

Overall, I'd expect this amp to cost somewhere from 300-500, not $3000 with the Hypsos power supply. The iFi amps, by contrast, (even the cheaper ones, like the Diablo and Gryphon) had much more character and engagement. Maybe it does better with planars, which I did not try it with. Or maybe this unit was a dud, or maybe the dac it was hooked up to just wasn't great. Or maybe my ears just don't jive with it for whatever reason. Anyways, a big disappointment for me, as an SS on the level of, say, an ECP DSHA-3F at an accessible price which can be easily purchased would be a great thing. But to my ears, it didn't come anywhere close to the 3F. No solid state amp I've heard does.

Other things that were unimpressive:

-The A&S crazy expensive 10k amps. They are very pricey but out of all the headphones I've heard it with, none of them sound unequivocally superior to a good budget tube amp like the SW51+ or Quicksilver.

-Most high-end Planars except Susvara: All of them had a pretty plasticky, soft timbre that rendered most acoustic music unrealistic. Susvara was the only planar I heard that did timbre right, and even that had a softness to the bass that wasn't quite natural.

-Gilmore Lite: Treble was elevated and had an unnatural timbre.

-Utopia: Sounded colored on most amps, with recessed upper-mids and elevated treble and lower-mids. Good sense of speed, but lacking a bit in overall tonal balance.

Some things that were good:

-The best thing I heard was the Raal PDT-1a. This blew the socks off the Ampsandsound stuff that cost 5 times as much. And it actually was priced reasonably at 2k. Definitely a winner.

-iFi Diablo. It's actually a portable that sounds good with high impedance headphones. A little pricey and not the equivalent of 1k in good desktop gear, but for someone looking for something to drive headphones on the go it seems like a good option.
Wait, you forgot to mention the best product of the whole show:

The glasses/minispeakers. You put on the glasses, and you hear sound on your ears.

It really made me feel nostalgic for the early 1970's, the tinny pocket AM radios with no bass, and worse mid and high frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back