CanJam NYC 2022 (February 26-27, 2022)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #136 of 619
Sorry for the basic question, but as this would be my first CanJam - what can I expect if I go?

Is this the sort of thing to go to if I'm considering already buying cans from a certain manufacturer, and going there so I can test them at their stand? Is it a place to haggle for discounts? Is it a place to meet like-minded folks and talk about our audio experiences?

It'd be my first, and I'd be flying solo - curious to know what I could get out of it. Right now I'm in the market for mics, audio interfaces, but would love the chance to try a whole range of products in one place...

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #137 of 619
Sorry for the basic question, but as this would be my first CanJam - what can I expect if I go?

Is this the sort of thing to go to if I'm considering already buying cans from a certain manufacturer, and going there so I can test them at their stand? Is it a place to haggle for discounts? Is it a place to meet like-minded folks and talk about our audio experiences?

You can definitely test out gear at CanJam. I'd check with the manufacturer to see if they're bringing the product in question (as some larger companies might not bring the entire line). A number of exhibitors may offer show discounts, as well. It is definitely a place to meet like-minded folks to talk about audio experiences. It's like the living embodiment of Head-Fi in one place.

It'd be my first, and I'd be flying solo - curious to know what I could get out of it. Right now I'm in the market for mics, audio interfaces, but would love the chance to try a whole range of products in one place...
You'll definitely get to try a lot of gear at CanJam NYC.

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #138 of 619

I'm also flying solo and coming from Northern California. I've never been to just a CanJam before, although I've attended a couple of the Rocky Mountain shows and T.H.E. Shows events (Southern Cal) in the past and they had an impressive headphone venue at some of those. I'm looking to pretty much buy everything, headphones, DAC, Streamer, Headphone amp, so this show will be very important for me, and I expect this show will help me make up my mind on what I want to purchase. Looking forward to the event. I'm just praying it doesn't get canceled because of COVID or my flights don't get cancelled! AXPONA has been cancelled 3 times now and I had to get refunds on my tickets and cancel hotel stays. Very frustrating!

Jan 13, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #140 of 619
Honestly we have been able to reliably get cheesecakes from Junior's for a long while - the location near Times Square.

Been trying to keep away... :wink:

Excellent! Junior's, being right across the street from the event, is pretty much a staple breakfast and after-dinner stop for us while we're at the show. :relaxed:

I'm also flying solo and coming from Northern California. I've never been to just a CanJam before, although I've attended a couple of the Rocky Mountain shows and T.H.E. Shows events (Southern Cal) in the past and they had an impressive headphone venue at some of those.

Do you happen to remember which years you attended RMAF and T.H.E. Show? I may be able to give you some comparisons.

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #142 of 619
@joe - thanks for the reply! Just bought a weekend pass now.

I live and work here so if anyone is travelling in like @dirtrat , maybe we can figure out a way to grab a beer or dinner or something on Saturday night for those up for it. I plan to spend a lot of time there on Saturday!

I'm definitely onboard for that!

:)

Excellent! Junior's, being right across the street from the event, is pretty much a staple breakfast and after-dinner stop for us while we're at the show. :relaxed:

Do you happen to remember which years you attended RMAF and T.H.E. Show? I may be able to give you some comparisons.

It's been at least 4-5 years since I've been to any shows. I've been trying to go to Axpona but they keep canceling the event. I have a headphone system now but it's very dated and I want to buy all new. Just sold my 2016 Corvette C7 Z06 so with that money I want to get back into the Audio hobby again.

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #143 of 619
It's been at least 4-5 years since I've been to any shows. I've been trying to go to Axpona but they keep canceling the event. I have a headphone system now but it's very dated and I want to buy all new. Just sold my 2016 Corvette C7 Z06 so with that money I want to get back into the Audio hobby again.

lol, not interested in the C8? :relaxed:

There used to be an official CanJam, as a part of RMAF, up through 2018. So if you went to RMAF back then, then you've most likely been to a CanJam as well. Here are some video walkthrus to help jog your memory.

If you attended T.H.E. Show Newport in 2015 specifically, the headphone component of that would have been roughly 40%-45% the scale of an official CanJam held in the same year.

Jan 13, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #144 of 619

It’s one of the best places to try out new gears. Lots of people will carry their own gears that probably sold out worldwide and it could be a rare opportunity to hear some amazing systems/headphones/iems.

Also some brands will provide prototypes for you to try out. Meet with designers behind the scene to learn their philosophies and ideas. Well deserved experience I would say.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #145 of 619
Are alot of the chifi companies not attending this year? Was looking forward to Thieaudio and fearless customs.

Audio 46 just became a Thieaudio dealer, so I’m sure they will be showing its various models. ✌️

Jan 14, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #146 of 619
We have a few volunteer slots available for CanJam NYC. If interested, please send me a PM!

CanJam Volunteers
There will be volunteer staff positions at CanJam NYC 2022 to assist at the Registration Desk. You will need to be able to commit to a 4 hour shift on either the Saturday or Sunday of the event. Volunteers will receive free weekend tickets along with an event T-Shirt. If you are interested, please send me a PM or email to ethan@canjam.org with your full name, email address, and T-Shirt size.

Jan 14, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #147 of 619
For people coming from out of State are most of you staying at the event hotel (Marriott Marquis)? Because of the high cost I started looking at other hotels close to the event but quickly changed my mind after looking at what to expect with the weather. I guess I'm spoiled by the weather here in Northern California. Lucky for me I was able to use points for all 3 nights :).

Jan 14, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #148 of 619
For people coming from out of State are most of you staying at the event hotel (Marriott Marquis)? Because of the high cost I started looking at other hotels close to the event but quickly changed my mind after looking at what to expect with the weather. I guess I'm spoiled by the weather here in Northern California. Lucky for me I was able to use points for all 3 nights :).
Times Square is pretty expensive. To get anything substantially cheaper, you will need to go out of Manhattan. Ground transportation is good, so even with bad weather, it isn't that bad. But, the Marriott Marquis is nice, so staying there is hard to beat. No matter the weather, I need to go out and get food. Pizza and the Original Halal Guys truck at a minimum.

Jan 15, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #149 of 619
Times Square is pretty expensive. To get anything substantially cheaper, you will need to go out of Manhattan. Ground transportation is good, so even with bad weather, it isn't that bad. But, the Marriott Marquis is nice, so staying there is hard to beat. No matter the weather, I need to go out and get food. Pizza and the Original Halal Guys truck at a minimum.
They give you a Canjam discount at the Marriort.

Jan 15, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #150 of 619
Does anybody know if Junior's is past the cream cheese shortage? I'm getting cravings...
As a local, I can confirm mountains of cream cheese are available at the local delis. I think the press has gone a little overboard with this one...:wink:

This will be my first canjam. I'm looking forward very much to connecting in person with many of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back