CanJam NYC 2022 (February 26-27, 2022)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #287 of 619
I don’t believe the nyc mayor has dropped masks or vaccine requirement, just the governor stated it’s being left up to local orders over it being a state order.
She has but not for venues.

Feb 10, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #288 of 619
Can I highly recommend a most excellent brunch place?

Quality Italian on 57th St and 6 Ave. There is never a line for brunch, the service is top notch, and their steaks are crazy good. Don't be fooled by the unimpressive name, the food absolutely impresses.

Feb 11, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #289 of 619
Can I highly recommend a most excellent brunch place?

Quality Italian on 57th St and 6 Ave. There is never a line for brunch, the service is top notch, and their steaks are crazy good. Don't be fooled by the unimpressive name, the food absolutely impresses.

but we will be busy auditioning audio gears :wink:

thanks for the recommendation though. we might drop by.

And for those of you who haven't booked a room yet:

I still was able to book today 2/11.

See you all.

Feb 11, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #290 of 619
Any word if this is going to be maskless since the NY Gov has dropped it for businesses in the state ?
I don’t believe the nyc mayor has dropped masks or vaccine requirement, just the governor stated it’s being left up to local orders over it being a state order.
She has but not for venues.

Mask mandate in NYC ends today. But it seems either the hotel or CanJam itself can require it (I think}.

https://abc7ny.com/school-mask-mandate-kathy-hochul-new-york-covid-19/11551484/

Notably: "If you're in New York City and unvaccinated, the requirement remains that you must always be masked in public settings." (Best of luck with that.)

That all said whatever may be (or become) the rule in the hotel or at this event, I am vaccinated but I will still wear a mask when rubbing elbows with my fellow attendees. I avoided the illness to this point; and every friend vaccinated or not that avoided it before Omicron but who had backed off their caution and went back to life as normal got it this past holiday season. Not backing down|off now; lest a Zetacron or Uzbekibekicron variant start spreading and get me that the CDC and media only become aware of and start warning us about a few weeks later (lol).

p.s. These numbers do look good for NYC. A good deal better for Manhattan actually than the average of all the counties in NY state. To put fellow attendees' minds at ease.

Screenshot_20220211-110955_COVID Alert NY.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #292 of 619
Pro tip for newbies: There are side rooms off the main exhibition hall. They are much quieter AND they have some of the most high-end gear. (People who have been looking for Stax, that's where I found some at an amp maker's setup.) Do yourself a favor and check them out.

And, yes, bring your own DAP if you have particular music preferences, your own cables if your DAP has a balanced output and your own tips if you have individual ears. A lot of vendors will have tips, and maybe you'll get a few for your collection, but you'll get the best fit with the ones you're used to.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #293 of 619
an amp maker's setup
That would be the Woo Audio room; typically a Woo + Stax + Cayin room. Even if Stax skips this one I suspect Woo will have & bring their own.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #294 of 619
And, yes, bring your own DAP if you have particular music preferences
Absolutely. In additional to music tastes and reference tracks, there's another great reason to bring your own DAP: if all the chairs are occupied you can easily stand off to the side of an exhibit and audition a headphone with gear you know and love. Sometimes exhibits are so packed you'll see one or even two rows of auditioners standing behind the chairs trying headphones with their own sources.

More exhibits need AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" off The Razors Edge in their demo libraries. :wink:

Feb 11, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #295 of 619
Even if they are not there officially any manufacturers that make an electrostatic amp will have some to audition. It's pretty definite that Woo Audio will have a few Stax hp for example.
Eksonic will be introducing their new electrostatic amplifier and will have some Stax to audition with in their room (or bring your own). I was fortunate to get a chance to audition the amp, it sounds superb.

They will also have their custom build of the infamous Stax T2, not to be missed by any electrostatic fans.

Due to the big back order on the new TOTL model Stax phone, the SR-X9000 I would not be surprised if there are none to hear at the show. I truly hope that is not the case, I was really looking forward to hear how they sound.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #296 of 619
Is there some program that shows which of these side or back rooms exist and where so one plan and not misse them?

Feb 11, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #297 of 619
Is there some program that shows which of these side or back rooms exist and where so one plan and not misse them?
They will post it before the show. And there will be signs there too

Feb 13, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #298 of 619
I think there needs to be an updated statement from the CanJam organizers confirming they are maintaining a mask requirement whose compliance will be enforced

Feb 13, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #299 of 619
I think there needs to be an updated statement from the CanJam organizers confirming they are maintaining a mask requirement whose compliance will be enforced

Based on the recent announcements, the Marriott Marquis is in the process of updating their guidelines with regards to mask requirements. We expect to post an update on this tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back