CanJam NYC 2020 Impressions Thread (February 15-16, 2020)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #361 of 400
Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Feb 27, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #363 of 400
Feb 27, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #364 of 400
I was interested in the WA22 but from reading around here it all but requires expensive tube upgrades to get the "tube" sound. At $2.5k I'd like it to sound great stock.

The Cayin seems like a good bet since both the cheaper HA-1A and more expensive HA-300 have stellar reviews.

Feb 27, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #366 of 400
No matter which amp you chose you're going to upgrade the tubes.
Fair point. My previous tube amp was a hybrid and I personally hated the whole process of tube rolling (like Jude does :p) so I guess I'm either lazy or naive, or both!

If any WA22 owner is in the NYC area and wants to do a shootout with the HA-6A message me. I'll have the only one in North America coming in next week and want to do a proper YT video review.

Feb 28, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #367 of 400
Fair point. My previous tube amp was a hybrid and I personally hated the whole process of tube rolling (like Jude does :p) so I guess I'm either lazy or naive, or both!

If any WA22 owner is in the NYC area and wants to do a shootout with the HA-6A message me. I'll have the only one in North America coming in next week and want to do a proper YT video review.
You are not alone. I have tubes for my stereo system and one if the reasons I chose them was tube rolling was not needed with this particular brand. But some folks do love it. Tks.

Feb 28, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #368 of 400
I was interested in the WA22 but from reading around here it all but requires expensive tube upgrades to get the "tube" sound. At $2.5k I'd like it to sound great stock.

The Cayin seems like a good bet since both the cheaper HA-1A and more expensive HA-300 have stellar reviews.

We would NOT supply bad sounding tubes with our amplifiers so the customer can have a bad listening experience right out of the box. In most cases, the stock tubes is what we use at trade shows. Amps sent to reviewers also rocks stock tubes. Sure you can spend money on premium tubes if you desire but it's not necessary to achieve great sound.

WA22 is an incredible performer for its size and price. It is my favorite Woo amp next to WA8 eclipse.

No matter which amp you chose you're going to upgrade the tubes.

The upgrade bug can bite. :)

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #369 of 400
We would NOT supply bad sounding tubes with our amplifiers so the customer can have a bad listening experience right out of the box. In most cases, the stock tubes is what we use at trade shows. Amps sent to reviewers also rocks stock tubes. Sure you can spend money on premium tubes if you desire but it's not necessary to achieve great sound.

WA22 is an incredible performer for its size and price. It is my favorite Woo amp next to WA8 eclipse.
The upgrade bug can bite. :)
I have to say, that when I demoed the WA33 in home I bought it based on its sound with the stock tubes.
And yes, the upgrade bug always bites!

Mar 8, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #370 of 400

Buy a used one for ~1500. And spend the leftover (1000) for some good tubes which will last you for a couple of years.

Mar 11, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #372 of 400
Grab some popcorn and enjoy the read!!! It's a long one!!!

canjam_nyc_2020-00-the_cover.jpg

Mar 12, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #375 of 400
Man. I was there 2 days and i must have missed BGVP and Moondrop. Oh well.

Edit and i quoted the wrong person. Enjoy it.

They were not in the main area. There were extra conference rooms on the left, that's where Moondrop and BGVP were "hiding", I think it was a Plymouth room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back