CanJam NYC 2019 (February 16-17, 2019)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 15, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #139 of 884
This will be my first headphone show. I usually go to the Munich audio show but am looking forward to taking my son to this event. Can anyone suggest some decent places to eat around this location? My son likes barbecue but I am up for any suggestion(s). I am sure that this will be a "worthwhile" Saturday. Since I am a headphone novice I am sure that this will be a "total emersion" into the headphone world. Especially looking forward to talking to the people from Schiit Audio. I find all their videos/comments interesting.

Mr. Pete--------------->
aging hippie

Jan 15, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #140 of 884
This will be my first headphone show. I usually go to the Munich audio show but am looking forward to taking my son to this event. Can anyone suggest some decent places to eat around this location? My son likes barbecue but I am up for any suggestion(s). I am sure that this will be a "worthwhile" Saturday. Since I am a headphone novice I am sure that this will be a "total emersion" into the headphone world. Especially looking forward to talking to the people from Schiit Audio. I find all their videos/comments interesting.

Mr. Pete--------------->
aging hippie
Virgil's BBQ is close to the event on 44th Street or Hillside BBQ in Chelsea; you'd just have to walk to the times square subway station and take the 1 or 2 downtown to 28th Street? And walk two blocks to 26th. But all food is good in New York...choose your adventure.

Jan 15, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #141 of 884
Virgil's BBQ is close to the event on 44th Street or Hillside BBQ in Chelsea; you'd just have to walk to the times square subway station and take the 1 or 2 downtown to 28th Street? And walk two blocks to 26th. But all food is good in New York...choose your adventure.
Great minds think alike! I was just about to reply with Virgil's BBQ Times Square. It's been a few years but I do recall the great food. Terrific lamb BBQ, which I had never had before.

Jan 15, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #143 of 884
Great minds think alike! I was just about to reply with Virgil's BBQ Times Square. It's been a few years but I do recall the great food. Terrific lamb BBQ, which I had never had before.
Haha yeah super close and mid-febuary is s'cold in NYC so I wouldn't wanna travel on foot too long. The other thing I could think of is hitting up the LES or Alphabet city and getting some real Asian cusine.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #144 of 884
Haha yeah super close and mid-febuary is s'cold in NYC so I wouldn't wanna travel on foot too long. The other thing I could think of is hitting up the LES or Alphabet city and getting some real Asian cusine.

Speaking of travel, I was stunned to find out someone is driving 6 hours that lives in NY to get to the show. I am coming from SoCal and my flight is shorter than that. Heck, I can be in Vegas in 3 1/2 hours and that's in another state.

Jan 15, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #145 of 884
If anyone has city-specific questions, feel free to ask. I've been in these parts for a little over a decade.

- 9th Ave is where you can find the best Thai food in the area. Wondee Siam has a not-so-secret menu you can ask for
- Keen's Steakhouse is close to the venue, and one of the best.
- There are other parts of the city very worthwhile at night besides Times Square (lower east side / Chinatown for unique eating, bars and nightlife, West village for stand up comedy shows (some require ticketing))
- Skip Empire State Building and go to 30 Rock. You can reserve time slots well into the evening and the view is far better than Empire.
- Uber and especially uber pool are usually less expensive than a yellow cab, and of better quality
- Keep your wallet in your front pocket, wherever you go -- but with that said, the city is/has been one of the safest large cities in the world.
- You WILL run into a lot of MJ smoke since it's decriminalized and they don't make arrests unless you're causing a disturbance. I mention this only because a lot of tourists are confused by it when they get here. It's a newish thing.
- walk to the right on the sidewalk. If you don't, You will greatly upset us locals.
- If you like whiskey, make sure to plan a trip out to Redhook via the inexpensive fairy system (bar onboard) to go visit Widow Jane. Try the 12 year and Bloody Butcher. Buy a lot. -- oh, and they also have a chocolate factory attached.

Jan 15, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #146 of 884
My jacket quest continued, I think NOW I am done. Its being shipped, fingers crossed.

10066042_fpx.tif

Jan 15, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #147 of 884
Speaking of travel, I was stunned to find out someone is driving 6 hours that lives in NY to get to the show. I am coming from SoCal and my flight is shorter than that. Heck, I can be in Vegas in 3 1/2 hours and that's in another state.
Yeah NY isn't just a city; it's an empire. I live in Dutchess County right next to the Hudson so I'm 90 minutes from Manattan and Albany but I once drove to Buffalo and that was over 7 hours. Should've just went to Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back