CanJam NYC 2018 Impressions (February 17-18, 2018)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #181 of 335
Hey! I remember you now.

Ha! Yeah, they not only cleaned my Angies, but they saw that my balanced cable was worn near the ear hook and they gave me a brand new one! I was like REALLY?

How cool is that of them to do that?

But I forgot to get a damn sticker...again.

:)
Haha! They did the same for me also. They said I had a cable that was outdated. Awesome customer service!

Feb 21, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #182 of 335
Read my next post pls.
Also, since you want to open the can of worms and since I'm feeling bored. Here goes...
In 2013( I think) 1964 ears (64 audio) was approached by this company called asius technology, offering them a new technology to relieve pressure and improve sound. It is called Adel. The Adel modules function by having a movable membrane in a vented module. The membrane absorbs pneumatic pressure. However, the module changed the sound too much and the new line has to be retuned around the new sound. Fast forward to 2016 and a disagreement over QC lead 64 to split with asius. They now had to develop their own modules that sound the same at least. So they developed apex which does not have a membrane but instead has laser precision ports to allow pressure release.
As for the exorbitant costs. U can attribute that to rnd today.
Traditionally, manufacturers of ba based iems could tweak them by adjusting: the driver type, the number of drivers, the crossovers and length, material of sound tubes and placement of filters. While dynamic drivers experiment on the airflow of the housing, the magnets, and the coating of the diaphragm. ( I cannot comment too much on DD development).
For ba, the traditional means have practically reached their limits for off the shelf bas. Now, they have to develop their own bas which is not cheap. Then, they have to push the limits further pioneering new crossover technology of fine-tuning the response curve or creating new technologies like resonance chambers.
I think the bulk of the cost would be the development of new bas. For some companies, manpower costs can be expensive, especially to assemble custom iems

Give us all a break here. All serious companies innovate as much a they can, the KSE1500 is miles above most things and was 8 years of R&D, and costs less than the Tia Fourte, including an amp. 64 Audio just got a new lead guy on board who decided : these suckers will pay 4k if we put enough technical mumbo jumbo. And he was right. I listened to the Fourte, they sound very good, not above other top TOTL, and certainly not at kse level.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #183 of 335
Sorry, I do not agree. I understand where you are coming from, when I seen Member of the Trade. I would also bet you are located on one of the coast. Seems to me most of the people I see post that are from the coast, live in a bubble. Real world, rest of the country would not think $3000 is a reasonable price for a pair of headphones.
Just my opinion, maybe the rest of us can get in on a little trickle down technology for a more sensible price.
Unf
Give us all a break here. All serious companies innovate as much a they can, the KSE1500 is miles above most things and was 8 years of R&D, and costs less than the Tia Fourte, including an amp. 64 Audio just got a new lead guy on board who decided : these suckers will pay 4k if we put enough technical mumbo jumbo. And he was right. I listened to the Fourte, they sound very good, not above other top TOTL, and certainly not at kse level.
I felt that teh kse1500 was amazing at detail retrieval but found that it was too bright and brittle for me

Feb 21, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #184 of 335
Sorry, I do not agree. I understand where you are coming from, when I seen Member of the Trade. I would also bet you are located on one of the coast. Seems to me most of the people I see post that are from the coast, live in a bubble. Real world, rest of the country would not think $3000 is a reasonable price for a pair of headphones.
Just my opinion, maybe the rest of us can get in on a little trickle down technology for a more sensible price.

Bubble? How so? Let me tell you something, there are plenty of us on the "coasts" who live on a budget, who don't agree with the price gouging that's been going on in the industry, and who are even keeled and perfectly aware of the outside world. To be honest, I find that insulting. Real world? As if NYC or LA isn't the real world? Really? What...you think everyone who lives and works and dies in NYC and Los Angeles is in their own head-space and doesn't conform to the reality of living in the United States in this day and age? We have taxes, crime, good friends and family and put our shoes on the same way everyone in the "rest" of the country does.

OK I'm off my soapbox. Please resume. lol

Feb 21, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #185 of 335
Any other thoughts on the Wells Audio and Abyss Phi combination. This seemed like the best of show to me.

Feb 21, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #186 of 335

Imagine this if you will: throughout the country, there exists a wide range of people, with a wide range of hobbies and lifestyles, and an equally wide range of affluence. People will buy what they want for a price they can afford and believe is worth it. Has nothing to do with "living in a bubble".

Whenever people complain about the growing price of TOTL cans all I can think is that they're mad that they're no longer able to afford "the best of the best", whereas they may have been able to prior to the hobby taking off a bit.

Try being less salty and living in your own world, while understanding that your world may (and will) vary vastly from almost anyone else's.

Feb 21, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #187 of 335

Yes, I am on the east coast in NJ two miles from the beach. Yes, a lot of people here have money to burn. However, I grew up with nothing on welfare and food stamps. I wasn't born in this land of milk and honey. I had to earn every penny I have so I fully understand the value of money.

I said "Considering the price of some of the flagships these days I think $3,000 is actually reasonable for this level of performance and quality." Is 3k a lot of money for a pair of headphones, of course it is! Products like this are not meant for most consumers. They are to develop new technology and showcase the best a company can produce. I have no doubt Meze will eventually release more affordable models based off this design.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #188 of 335
Bubble? How so? Let me tell you something, there are plenty of us on the "coasts" who live on a budget, who don't agree with the price gouging that's been going on in the industry, and who are even keeled and perfectly aware of the outside world. To be honest, I find that insulting. Real world? As if NYC or LA isn't the real world? Really? What...you think everyone who lives and works and dies in NYC and Los Angeles is in their own head-space and doesn't conform to the reality of living in the United States in this day and age? We have taxes, crime, good friends and family and put our shoes on the same way everyone in the "rest" of the country does.

OK I'm off my soapbox. Please resume. lol
It's "You pay to play" If you can't afford it, don't complain about people who can. And I'm pretty sure the average income around these coastal part's are a lot higher than the average.

Feb 21, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #189 of 335
It's "You pay to play" If you can't afford it, don't complain about people who can. And I'm pretty sure the average income around these coastal part's are a lot higher than the average.

Absolutely right Pete. We also have a much higher cost of living here...but that certainly doesn't mean we're in a bubble...lol. You buy what you can afford. I can't afford Tia Forte's...plus I wasn't thrilled with them. To be honest, I've heard better. But that doesn't have anything to do with us being in our own bubble here.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #190 of 335
Imagine this if you will: throughout the country, there exists a wide range of people, with a wide range of hobbies and lifestyles, and an equally wide range of affluence. People will buy what they want for a price they can afford and believe is worth it. Has nothing to do with "living in a bubble".

Whenever people complain about the growing price of TOTL cans all I can think is that they're mad that they're no longer able to afford "the best of the best", whereas they may have been able to prior to the hobby taking off a bit.

Try being less salty and living in your own world, while understanding that your world may (and will) vary vastly from almost anyone else's.

Well said!

Feb 21, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #191 of 335
Absolutely right Pete. We also have a much higher cost of living here...but that certainly doesn't mean we're in a bubble...lol. You buy what you can afford. I can't afford Tia Forte's...plus I wasn't thrilled with them. To be honest, I've heard better. But that doesn't have anything to do with us being in our own bubble here.
Lol, "my bubble" just happens to contain expensive electronics that make me happy. Some people don't value the money they spend on happiness the same way others do. It's not like I'm listening to my Utopia living on the street corner because I spent my money foolishly.

Feb 21, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #192 of 335
Lol, "my bubble" just happens to contain expensive electronics that make me happy. Some people don't value the money they spend on happiness the same way others do. It's not like I'm listening to my Utopia living on the street corner because I spent my money foolishly.

Yes, also well said! I didn't get to see you at the CanJam Sunday...did you go?

Feb 21, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #193 of 335
Yes, also well said! I didn't get to see you at the CanJam Sunday...did you go?
No, I had to much fun partying on Saturday... my head was stuck in a cloud of pain. I'm thoroughly disappointed I didn't make it. I wanted to check out my next purchase.

Feb 21, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #194 of 335
Haha. Why are people still debating the price of headphones and their sound? Don't buy an Aston Martin or McLaren if you can't afford one. A GTR will do just as nice.

This "price gouging" is everywhere and as mentioned if someone wants it they will get it.

I have a question. Does Advanced name their headphones after cars? (S2000, M4, M5)

Feb 21, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #195 of 335
No, it's like complaining that when you sit in a Porsche you can't see over the steering wheel and you can't reach the brake pedal. You have to wear a headphone, so if it's uncomfortable it's a non-starter - unless you're a masochist.
Did you try the Diana?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back