CanJam NYC 2017 (February 4-5, 2017)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 1, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #889 of 1,071
Everything is shipped! See you all Saturday!

Big thumbs up. Yep thank you for the effort with half the staff sick at times over the weeks; got the tracking number.

Only decision for Saturday morning will be if I should bring the broken-in headphone I was planning or an unbroken-in Ether Flow C. :D

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #890 of 1,071
  So I've been seeing the comments about how it's a bit crazy on Saturday compared to Sunday. How bad are the lines really? Also is it too late to change my Saturday pass into an all weekend pass?

No problem in upgrading the Saturday pass to a weekend, we can take care of that at Registration. It will be very busy on both days, but Sunday should be less busy than Saturday. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #891 of 1,071
Guys, here is the schedule for the Seminars at CanJam NYC. These are open for all to participate in so be sure to catch some or all of these as they are all fantastic topics! 
CanJam NYC 2017 Seminar Schedule
Saturday, February 4
1pm-4pm - Seminars (Majestic and Shubert Rooms)
  1. 1pm-2pm Music Recording and High Fidelity Panel includes: Grammy Award-winning Music Producer Jerry “Wonda” Duplessis, Jude Mansilla of Head-Fi.org, and Dan Clark of MrSpeakers. Moderated by Frank Iacone of Headphone.guru (Majestic Room)
  2. 2pm-3pm What the Specs Don’t Tell You and Why with Dan Foley of Audio Precision (Shubert Room)
  3. 3pm-4pm The Future of Headphone Audio: VR and Beyond Panel includes: Skylar Gray of Audioquest, Sankar Thiagasamudram of Audeze, Andrew Mason of THX, Jacqueline Bosnjak of Mach 1 Studios, and Jude Mansilla of Head-Fi.org. Moderated by Ola Bjorling of MediaMonks and Audiostream.com (Majestic Room)
Sunday, February 4
11am-Noon - Seminars (Shubert Room)
  1. 11am-Noon Introduction to Headphone Testing and Analysis with Chris Gill of Audio Precision

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #892 of 1,071
  I'm really excited! This is my first CanJam.  I also convinced two non audio enthusiast buddies to tag along.  Question though, can we bring our own music for demos or will it just be a lot of Diana Krall on Saturday? 
tongue.gif

We have 4 listening stations, all streaming Tidal, but you are also welcome to bring your own music...

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #894 of 1,071
Streaming from what source?

Tidal - redbook audio online.  http://www.tidal.com - it's a great hi-rez streaming site with millions of discs.  We stream Tidal to a SONOS Connect (controlled via a Kindle Fire - ultra-simple to control).  Toslink out from the Connect to a Channel Islands DAC, and that feeds a Channel Islands headphone amp.  We used the same setup for RMAF last October with great results...

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #895 of 1,071
What's the purpose of the connect if you're then running the output to DAC? is it simply to provide an optical output? Sorry to seem negative but that's a very expensive optical converter if it is.

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #896 of 1,071
What's the purpose of the connect if you're then running the output to DAC? is it simply to provide an optical output? Sorry to seem negative but that's a very expensive optical converter if it is.

The Connect is our streaming source from the Internet.  You use the Kindle Fire simply to tell the Connect what to stream.  The Connect provides a digital optical output to the Channel Islands DAC.  And of course significant buffering of the stream if it is needed (up to about 30 seconds of buffer).

Is it overly complex?  For a home situation, probably.  But it gives us tremendous flexibility in a show situation, where we can have 4 people listening to their own selections from Tidal, simultaneously, and it's incredibly easy for any of the show staff to assist as needed from their own devices.  We, in essence, end up with a CD quality-or-better library of 25+ million tracks that can be selected with a really easy-to-use app (SONOS) and then played to your headphone via some serious electronics (Channel Islands gear).

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #897 of 1,071
  The Connect is our streaming source from the Internet.  You use the Kindle Fire simply to tell the Connect what to stream.  The Connect provides a digital optical output to the Channel Islands DAC.  And of course significant buffering of the stream if it is needed (up to about 30 seconds of buffer).

Is it overly complex?  For a home situation, probably.  But it gives us tremendous flexibility in a show situation, where we can have 4 people listening to their own selections from Tidal, simultaneously, and it's incredibly easy for any of the show staff to assist as needed from their own devices.  We, in essence, end up with a CD quality-or-better library of 25+ million tracks that can be selected with a really easy-to-use app (SONOS) and then played to your headphone via some serious electronics (Channel Islands gear).

I understand - I have Tidal, Roon and am a Sonos Dealer. Was just wondering why not go directly from the fire to the Dac.. but either way, I'm really looking forward to visiting your display over the weekend as I'm really in the market for a new DAC (Connect at home (Roon endpoint (roon 1.3)) to Dac then out to Headamp and/or Speaker amp for 2 channel listening.

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #898 of 1,071
Never mind... I'm half asleep today obviously... I see that you;re Periodic Audio and not CIAudio .. Sorry.

Feb 1, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #899 of 1,071

I understand - I have Tidal, Roon and am a Sonos Dealer. Was just wondering why not go directly from the fire to the Dac.. but either way, I'm really looking forward to visiting your display over the weekend as I'm really in the market for a new DAC (Connect at home (Roon endpoint (roon 1.3)) to Dac then out to Headamp and/or Speaker amp for 2 channel listening.

Ahh, I see...:)  No, I wanted to keep as many cables "fixed" as possible, so just use the Fire to control the Connect, and leave all the wiring fixed in place except for the IEMs.  We are close friends with Dusty at Channel Islands, and chose all his DACs and amps as our reference platform.  If you have questions about his gear, feel free to ask as we get together often (Dusty and I live about 1 mile apart from each other, just south of Ventura, CA).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back