CanJam NYC 2017 (February 4-5, 2017)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 11, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #301 of 1,071
If you're looking downtown, Stereo Exchange has stuff on display, listened to the HE-1000 through the MacIntosh amp/dac there a while ago.
+1. Great array of sub thousand dollar hp along a wall with a nice music setup where you should be able to find the music you want. High-end room with the top tier hps (sells the lowet end focal stuff, but i was told not a focal dealer of the new top end stuff tho; that may have changed tho) and same music control.

I chased someone out of the hi-end room who was trying to audition something with the dB of music I was playing the day I purchased either my he1k or mha100 from there. Whoops. Lol.

Dec 11, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #302 of 1,071

Hmmm... I don't know about this. Prices on Audio46 and ACGears are mostly in line with online street prices. They even price match. They're not like those generic touristy electronic stores that sell grey market stuff and/or are unauthorized dealers.

And yes, they both let you use your own device.

LOL you're kidding right? How long have you been in the city? Everything is more expensive in the city dude. Once you go to an outer Borough and search, you can find better prices. It's a major city, and they're the same all across the country. You're paying their rent, their overhead, and their insurance. If you think prices are the same in Manhattan as other places in the city you're respectfully mistaken. Hearing someone say that the prices in Manhattan are the same as other places in the 5 Borough's is funny, I grew up in Manhattan and lived in every one of the 5 Boroughs at one point or another in my 50 odd years.

So yeah, you pay more for retail in Manhattan than you will in other places...that's basic economics. Now that might not matter to some people...for them...God Bless. 

It doesn't matter. Those of you coming to town will have a great time enjoying our fine city! 

If you don't use it already...get Yelp on your phones. It will definitely help you choose where to eat, visit, etc.

Steve from NYC

Dec 11, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #303 of 1,071
  But remember that B&H is closed on Saturday (but open on Sunday)

Yes, B&H are Hasidic Jews. They are closed at sundown on Friday and all day Saturday. 

Steve from NYC

Dec 11, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #304 of 1,071
Eh... too loud.

Try Audio46. It's on 46th St between 5th and 6th Ave.

There's also ACGears on 8th St.

AC gears is a kewl place to visit. It should be on anyone's list. haven't been to Audio46. Will have to hit that one day. Thanx. Oh, btw, bought my focal spirit one hp from lyric. They probably are sellers of the hi-end focal stuff.

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #305 of 1,071

LOL you're kidding right? How long have you been in the city? Everything is more expensive in the city dude. Once you go to an outer Borough and search, you can find better prices. It's a major city, and they're the same all across the country. You're paying their rent, their overhead, and their insurance. If you think prices are the same in Manhattan as other places in the city you're respectfully mistaken. Hearing someone say that the prices in Manhattan are the same as other places in the 5 Borough's is funny, I grew up in Manhattan and lived in every one of the 5 Boroughs at one point or another in my 50 odd years.

So yeah, you pay more for retail in Manhattan than you will in other places...that's basic economics. Now that might not matter to some people...for them...God Bless. 

It doesn't matter. Those of you coming to town will have a great time enjoying our fine city! 

If you don't use it already...get Yelp on your phones. It will definitely help you choose where to eat, visit, etc.

Steve from NYC

I hear ya - I really do. But... come on man. :wink: I too am born and raised in nyc. I'm not 50, but I'm 36 so I've been around at least a little bit. I've also lived in all the boroughs.
If a store price matches, they price match... No amount of inflated manhattan rent will change that price-matched price. Trust me, I'm the most vocal anti-manhattan person you'll ever meet. I grew up in Staten Island of all places... :wink: There are so many reason I could mention to not like the place, but I wouldn't say shopping is one of them.
Deals can be found in manhattan. Heck, that "Best Parking" app some of us mentioned is a pretty good example of that. Don't expect to randomly find a brand new pair of Utopia's at B&H for $2500... :wink: That ain't gonna happen. Also don't expect to eat a decent dinner for any less than $50-60 in midtown (unless your down with Papaya King which, I mean, is delicious). 

Here's the deal with manhattan (specifically midtown). Services/entertainment/food/drink/lodging will cost you more than you've ever paid in your life. Consumer goods you want to purchase (pretty much anything) will be whatever the MSRP is for that thing. No price gouging here, UNLESS you're looking to purchase souvenirs or cellphone chargers, or silly airport level tchotchkes like that. Certain retail stores may even price match (the amazon app with it's barcode scanner is clutch for this). If you really want to try and find a deal, you could head into the seedy underbelly of nyc's grey market and check out china town. I remember back in the day rummaging those sketchy shops for MiniDisc paraphernalia back in the 90s... fun times. :wink: 

Regarding Yelp - I never really trust yelp. Way too many people only leave negative reviews when they have an axe to grind. Also, yelp reviews for places in mid town will be littered with tourist reviews... tourists are fine, but their reviews I don't know about. When you see an Arby's with a 4 out of 5 rating, it makes you wonder...   I'd recommend something like Foursquare or Swarm. 

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #306 of 1,071

I hear ya - I really do. But... come on man. :wink: I too am born and raised in nyc. I'm not 50, but I'm 36 so I've been around at least a little bit. I've also lived in all the boroughs.
If a store price matches, they price match... No amount of inflated manhattan rent will change that price-matched price. Trust me, I'm the most vocal anti-manhattan person you'll ever meet. I grew up in Staten Island of all places... :wink: There are so many reason I could mention to not like the place, but I wouldn't say shopping is one of them.

LOL great points all around! Yes you're right. My deal with shopping is this...if it's strictly Manhattan and you're doing it for the experience, then go for it. If it's something you want or need...shopping around can often get you better. I'm not just talking about HQ audio here, I mean in general. 

Deals can be found in manhattan. Heck, that "Best Parking" app some of us mentioned is a pretty good example of that. Don't expect to randomly find a brand new pair of Utopia's at B&H for $2500... :wink:

I also use the parking app and definitely recommend using that also.

That ain't gonna happen. Also don't expect to eat a decent dinner for any less than $50-60 in midtown (unless your down with Papaya King which, I mean, is delicious). 

Papaya King is absolutely delicious!! Totally worth a try if you've never had it. Practically grew up going to that place with my grandmother! The key word is midtown...if you want to save a few dollars, hit the Lower East Side, Lower West Side or the Village. Go uptown and the prices will follow...east or west side.

Here's the deal with manhattan (specifically midtown). Services/entertainment/food/drink/lodging will cost you more than you've ever paid in your life. Consumer goods you want to purchase (pretty much anything) will be whatever the MSRP is for that thing. No price gouging here,

The MSRP will rule in Manhattan. You won't get any great deals, you'll pay what the manufacturer says. I agree with you there

UNLESS you're looking to purchase souvenirs or cellphone chargers, or silly airport level tchotchkes like that. Certain retail stores may even price match (the amazon app with it's barcode scanner is clutch for this). If you really want to try and find a deal, you could head into the seedy underbelly of nyc's grey market and check out china town. I remember back in the day rummaging those sketchy shops for MiniDisc paraphernalia back in the 90s... fun times. :wink: 

Yeah...back then we were hitting those "shady" spots for car stereo's, receivers, etc....and never asked where they came from...lol. 

Regarding Yelp - I never really trust yelp. Way too many people only leave negative reviews when they have an axe to grind. Also, yelp reviews for places in mid town will be littered with tourist reviews... tourists are fine, but their reviews I don't know about. When you see an Arby's with a 4 out of 5 rating, it makes you wonder...   I'd recommend something like Foursquare or Swarm. 

I also agree with you about Yelp in Manhattan to a point....mostly bloated reviews or tourist reviews. But...big but coming...if you ARE a tourist...then Yelp can be invaluable. If you have the time to read reviews elsewhere...you probably have more time than the average tourist has. Especially since the Jam is only two days. I've found Yelp to be more accurate in Queens and Brooklyn. 

I didn't mean to come across as argumentative Rero, for that I apologize. Perhaps I just needed a laugh this morning before I posted.

Steve from NYC

Dec 11, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #307 of 1,071
Look, I think the we New Yorkers can agree at least on the food front to avoid midtown altogether unless you know what you are doing. Lantern's Keep great place for cocktails, Aldo Sohm for wine. Look Le Bernadin is right there and that place is ridiculously good (and equally ridiculously expensive) but I won't tell anyone how to spend their money -- I mean have you seen some of the gear people on here have. Personally if you gots the dollas, I'd grab a jacket and do Le Bernadin, skip Per Se, maybe do Bar Masa, or go cheaper and go to Ippudo's midtown west location, hit Yaki Tori totto on 55th. Do Del Frisco's for the steak (and wine). But I digress...

AVOID midtown and search for restaurants south of Union Square/14th in the West and East Village (aka Greenwich Village), go farther down to the Lower East Side (LES) for some cool stuff and maybe over to Alphabet City (Avenue A, Avenue B, Etc...). Don;t bother with the Upper West Side (UWS) or Upper East Side (UES) and just try stuff you may not at home put yourself out of your comfort zone and enjoy the city. It's freaking awesome here.

Yelp (yes there are bad reviews but it gets you 80% there if you are searching the right areas), and Open Table are key to help you out. Read Chowhound, do some basic food researcha nd you should be good.

Dec 11, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #308 of 1,071
Agreed. There are tons of great places to eat, drink and be merry downtown that won't break the bank. I know a lot of us on here spend big "dolla's" on our gear and don't actually have tons of green laying around...lol. So when you guys come to the city, try to hook up with one of us natives for pointers etc over the weekend. 

(or before you come)

Le Bernadin is fantastic....and crazy expensive. But it's a 3 Michelin Star restaurant....that's what restaurants in that league cost. For Italian, try Tony's DiNapoli...the prices aren't horrible and the food is fantastic. There are other trendy restaurants...or off the beaten path ones that are more than accessible.

As Tate said above...better to avoid midtown. Do some homework, see a show if you can while you're here, and mainly just enjoy the city.

Steve from NYC

Dec 11, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #310 of 1,071
  Papaya King....... the great equalizer........

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Ha! And I just ate dinner.

Still fantastic after all these years! 

Seriously guys...if you've never had it...definitely try it. Hey Katz's Delicatessen is great too!

Steve from NYC

Dec 11, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #311 of 1,071
1+ for Katz's...but get clearance from your cardiologist...

Dec 11, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #312 of 1,071
Papaya King....... the great equalizer........

... for anyone that needs but doesn't wanna go thru the effort of an enema and just wants his/her insides to do all the work ... stopped eating there about 30 years ago. Hope they fixed that little problem since then. HA! Lol

Dec 11, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #314 of 1,071
... for anyone that needs but doesn't wanna go thru the effort of an enema and just wants his/her insides to do all the work ... stopped eating there about 30 years ago. Hope they fixed that little problem since then. HA! Lol

LOL yeah...they fixed that long ago. 

Steve from NYC

Dec 11, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #315 of 1,071

I've never had an issue after eating there, but on the other hand, the older you get, the more you appreciate a good BM......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back