CanJam New York 2024 Impressions Thread (March 9-10, 2024)
Mar 13, 2024 at 11:41 PM Post #481 of 697
So, having said that, please be gentle with your criticisms? Trust me, I'm well aware of how big a noob I am here.

As both an enthusiast photographer and Adobe employee, I think you did better than a noob. Noobs don't know about IBIS or shutter speeds, nor do they understand depth of field. You've got an eye for visual media without a doubt. The lighting in there was not super friendly for photography, and even an f/1.4 lens would have had issues catching enough light without ridiculously high ISO speed. Fill flash would have helped balance out some of the darker areas, but you can also adjust for some of these things in Lightroom or <insert_editing_software_of_choice> if you want. :raised_hands:

Mar 14, 2024 at 12:22 AM Post #482 of 697
Mar 14, 2024 at 12:27 AM Post #483 of 697
What is the water cooler crew? Only been to one can jam but it seems like a cool group

Mar 14, 2024 at 12:38 AM Post #484 of 697
Romeo will be in the ~$3k range.
lol okay well there goes my chance of grabbin it, Elysian Pilgrim it is for me then lol

Yes but considering Eletech pricing, that's practically giving it away! 🤣

The best part of meets has always been the people, so thanks @warrenpchi for that great post. Love seeing people deep into their music. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/can...-march-9-10-2024.971988/page-32#post-18018344

Ooh, coming from a Head-Fi elder, that means a lot indeed! :pray::slight_smile:

(and, I hope to post here per usual my detailed CanJam NYC show impressions in the coming days).

giphy.gif

Definitely an epic meal. Fortunately everyone is a team player and no baseball bats were needed :ksc75smile:

You can get farther with a kind word and an IEM, than with just a kind word. :wink:

What is the water cooler crew? Only been to one can jam but it seems like a cool group

It's basically those of us who participate in The Watercooler Thread, only in real life. :slight_smile:

Mar 14, 2024 at 12:48 AM Post #485 of 697
Mar 14, 2024 at 1:16 AM Post #486 of 697
As both an enthusiast photographer and Adobe employee, I think you did better than a noob. Noobs don't know about IBIS or shutter speeds, nor do they understand depth of field. You've got an eye for visual media without a doubt. The lighting in there was not super friendly for photography, and even an f/1.4 lens would have had issues catching enough light without ridiculously high ISO speed.

Thanks so much for the help! :pray: :smiley:

I was so tired on Saturday night that I didn't even bother processing/posting anything. So it wasn't until I first looked at them yesterday, that I spotted some rookie mistakes. For example, even though I pretty much shot manual, I completely forgot about stopping down and just shot wide open at f/2 the whole time... which is why the left Eletech cable is in focus, but the right cable is not. Too shallow, stupid me.

Fill flash would have helped balance out some of the darker areas, but you can also adjust for some of these things in Lightroom or <insert_editing_software_of_choice> if you want. :raised_hands:

Yeah, it didn't even occur to me to use the flash, even though this camera (X100V) is reputed to have decent fill flash performance. Although I shot RAW + Jpeg, I don't have any appreciable Lightroom experience to speak of, so I didn't even try that. But having 30+ years with Photoshop, I did help out some shots with some Curves, only minimally though as I wanted to keep the photos moody lol.

I'm sure - or at least I hope - that I'll get better over time. I'd like to develop that intuitive mental memory that pros have, where they just know what settings to change to give them the best chance at a good shot. :slight_smile:

Mar 14, 2024 at 3:37 AM Post #487 of 697
Has anyone done a comparison of the Mass Kobo 394 II to the 465 for easier to drive headphones like meze elite or caldera?

I wonder if the 465 tops the 394 II only with hard to drive headphones or with all headphones....
i cant exactly remember if i listened to the 394II but my 475 the youngest brother in.the family drives my OG utopias just fine at low gain and i thought that the 465 only had marginally improvement overall. The 465 was meant for beasts like the susvara.

Mar 14, 2024 at 4:00 AM Post #488 of 697
I met a very friendly couple at the Effect Audio table whom are both audiophiles. The wife told me her husband got her into it and now she's hooked too. :laughing:

They both asked me about my IEM and cables I was trying out, and seemed very engaged and passionate about finding new products to try out and own.

But yeah, not a lot of female audiophiles out there, sadly. I only saw a few at CanJam and it was like finding a unicorn.
Yeah, it is nice to see couples into it together. Lord knows I’ve tried. My wife couldn’t care less. The most I can get, if I can get her to listen to something, is “yeah, that sounds nice”…🤨 🤷‍♂️

Mar 14, 2024 at 5:50 AM Post #490 of 697
Anyone who tested the Elysian Pilgrim and is also familiar with the Diva think it's still worth purchasing Diva now? Was just about to pick it up the Diva and then read about the Pilgrim so don't now what to do now haha..
Pilgrim sounds more similar to Anni than Diva. Only you can answer whether it’s worth it or not, but if you liked the Diva sound, it might be.

They’re different enough sonically where I think they could be complimentary pairs.

Obviously Pilgrim is significantly cheaper, so there’s that to consider as well.

Mar 14, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #491 of 697
People usually don't ignore signs if they're logical and the right thing to do.
I've been reading pages, and no one is mentioning or being aware of the fact that...Americans, US citizens...are LOUD folks...they talk loud :)
You can't change that...and these events are not libraries...you have to accept that in the US and move on :)

I am surprised that you all are surprised about noise :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 8:08 AM Post #492 of 697
I've been reading pages, and no one is mentioning or being aware of the fact that...Americans, US citizens...are LOUD folks...they talk loud :)
You can't change that...and these events are not libraries...you have to accept that in the US and move on :)

I am amazed that you all are surprised about noise :)

Cheers!

(screams) AS A CITIZEN OF THE GREAT UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, I FEEL ATTACKED.

Mar 14, 2024 at 9:10 AM Post #493 of 697
Of course I knew that was you. And thanks. I need the reminder. :L3000: I miss all the old crowd from Bayside & Babylon. I finally retired the mad bomber rig last year (Where's Tyll?) and got some new gear, so there's no more excuses for me.

For those late to the NYC meet game...
TyllNY0706.jpg
Not gonna lie, pretty iconic photo :beerchug:

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 14, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #495 of 697
Pilgrim sounds more similar to Anni than Diva. Only you can answer whether it’s worth it or not, but if you liked the Diva sound, it might be.

They’re different enough sonically where I think they could be complimentary pairs.

Obviously Pilgrim is significantly cheaper, so there’s that to consider as well.
I agree. It is a mini-Anni. Pilgrim that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back