CanJam New York 2024 Impressions Thread (March 9-10, 2024)
Mar 10, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #196 of 707
Campfire trifecta
A lot of bass. A lot. Definitely too much for me and I feel like to the detriment of lower mids to some extent. It was also not as expansive of a soundstage as the other IEMs, which for the most part were somewhat comparable. Resolution is still top tier but a bit behind the others. I think this is a pretty niche product and it’s gotta be something you really love.
I personally found, quite to my surprise, Trifecta to do 3-d imaging like nothing I've ever heard before. Agree the bass is quite elevated, but would posit that most people prefer that in a IEM.

I also found Canpur C54 much more intriguing than the more linearly tuned - and more hyped - 622b, so perhaps I'm just an IEM bass-head? :wink:lol In any case, it positively BLEW MY MIND that they did that bass (c54E) with a balanced armature. :L3000:

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #199 of 707
Another great start to the CanJam 2024 season beginning in NYC!
20240309_090406.jpg 20240309_163521.jpg
Wow, vast array of vendors and representatives. This is my second CanJam and same as last year my interest is mainly desktop-type gear and headphones.
On day one I was able to handle a lot of the gear that catches my attention. Also same as before, the crowd noise does make it difficult to get critical listening but at least you get a tactile feel of the items.

Started at Bloom Audio this time to get a nice swag bag. Very nice team out of Jersey that I've ordered with before and they like to give you KitKats!
Over to ZMF and right away had to purchase a pretty Bokeh in the natural Limba wood. Doing some late night listening with it and loving this closed back.
20240309_214737.jpg20240310_032103.jpg 20240309_105331.jpg

20240309_105234.jpg 20240309_105230.jpg
While at ZMF was able to try a Caldera Closed on the new Cayin HA-2A. Nice sized tube amp for a desk setup and looks sweet. Caldera closed also looking great and seeming to perform well as best as I could tell but again hard to get a good sound impression with crowds. Will revisit on day 2 with some other amps.
The Verite Open was next to it paired with the HA-3A, and with a quick listen, I can appreciate why the 3A does get a lot of praise from ZMF dynamic owners.
20240309_104901.jpg 20240309_154645.jpg20240309_155805.jpg
And the new Aegis. Very nice and awesome to behold. ZMF also had some the Homage amps there with new stabilized front/rear face plates that looked nice. Will try and get a few photos of those tomorrow.

My next target was Linear Tube Audio. Super nice guys and LTA is based in Maryland. Their Velo amp is on my short list. Paired it to my DCA Noire I brought with me and tried the new Meze Liric II. Each sounded nice and the Macassar Ebony wood is gorgeous.
20240309_114448.jpg 20240309_115223.jpg

Mimic Audio was nearby and I checked out the Tungsten. I think it was the double-sided I tried paired to a large Black Ice Audio Fusion amp. It did seem to immerse me into the music like the singer was right there with me on a track I listened to, but again being open back, the noise is distracting. It was nice to meet Ryan there too.
20240309_152939.jpg 20240309_152244.jpg

Mimic also had the Austria Audio Composer HP which I read is developed from the former AKG engineers. Very nice build but the connector location seems odd on the sides. They also had the Auribus Acoustics Sierra which I had not heard of before. The Composer states it is a reference/monitor HP and I did get that monitor-like analytical impression. The Sierra was interesting, very open and spacious. It is all 3D-printed in build and super light.

First time trying the Abyss Diana. This was the MR version. The design does not appeal to me but sounded really nice and it was light.
20240309_121124.jpg 20240309_121711.jpg
20240309_121721.jpg
Then over to to see the Violectric, Lake People and Fostex table. They had the V281 Limited Edition that I've been tracking since I own the V222. Hooked up a Fostex 616 and whoa. This amp packs a punch. I think the gain DIP settings may have been adjusted for a different HP beforehand since I barely turned the volume and it was too loud.
Will need to revisit again.

Stopped by the FiiO table and enjoyed the R9 all-in-one with the FT5 planar HP. Nice little setup if you were looking for a compact desktop system. It uses the Android OS like a lot of other DAPs.

20240309_161107.jpg 20240309_163028.jpg20240309_162433.jpg

Finished up at the Meze table and hooked up the Empyrean II and the 109 Pro straight to my DAP. Pretty good but would likely be better on amps. I do appreciate the Meze build quality and comfort.
Capped off the day at the seminar with Zach and Bevin and enjoyed their presentation. Looking forward to day-2!
Did you listen to the new LTA Aero DAC?

Mar 10, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #200 of 707
Had a really good 1.5 days at canjam. Saturday as usual is a really packed with people. Sunday morning though it’s noticeably quiet for the first 2 ish hours. Best time to do some critical listening.

Some highlights for me:

Meeting L0rdgwn who released DIY Aegis Tube Amp. Really down to earth and all around nice guy. The commercial version of the Aegis looks beautiful and sounds great. Compared to the DIY version, audio wise I could not discern any noticeable differences. Having the additional cable terminations and gain on the amp is nice though.

Caldera Closed - Found this to sound very good. Essentially a closed back version of the Cladera sound with a bit better bass while retaining clarity. There is a slight drop in treble which I overall prefer. I am a bit treble averse so for the Caldera Open I listen with mantle mesh + thick pads. Comparatively on the Caldera Closed with the stock hybrid pads I didn’t run into any treble issues. Very tempted to sell my Caldera Open to now get the Closed.

Violectric V281 reissue - I can see why the V281 has such a legendary following. Sounds really good and on the warmer side.

DCA E3 - Was really open sounding and punchy. A really enjoyable headphone. Heard it thru Headamp CFA-3 and Schitt Yggy/Mjolinr 3 stack and it sounded great on both.

Campfire Audio Fathom - Have never been an IEM guy as I find in ears uncomfortable in general but golly these sounded really good! It’s hard to fathom how much amazing sound can come out of IEMs.

Mar 10, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #201 of 707
Have to leave the show mid way due to work and all but got a chance to listen to these with Abyss 1266TC powered by Riveria 10 amp. It was playing some Audiophile grade music unknown to me but it sounded great but little too splashy and energetic in highs. Bass was great but highs were little hot for me. Very open sounding.
IMG_1736.jpeg

Tried the new CFA-3 with Tungsten but again music was shared and control was not with me. Better experience with Tungsten today compared to yesterday. Good body and layering. This amp has more than enough power for it.
IMG_1734.jpeg

Below is finished one
IMG_1735.jpeg

Tried Creative Aurvana 2 TWS. Lightweight for sure. Energetic sound. Mildly V shaped I would say. ANC is not as good as Air Pods Pro. Air Pods Pro is even sounding compared to these. I use my APP with Sedna Xelastec which brings up Sub bass a bit. These are fun sounding one and anyone who enjoys tipped up bass and treble will be happy owner.
IMG_1729.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #202 of 707
Caldera Closed - Found this to sound very good. Essentially a closed back version of the Cladera sound with a bit better bass while retaining clarity. There is a slight drop in treble which I overall prefer. I am a bit treble averse so for the Caldera Open I listen with mantle mesh + thick pads. Comparatively on the Caldera Closed with the stock hybrid pads I didn’t run into any treble issues. Very tempted to sell my Caldera Open to now get the Closed.
Thanks Matt, really appreciate your write-up. It’s starting to sound like the Caldera Closed is everything we expected it to be, similar to the Atrium -> Atrium Closed progression. That’s great to hear, and well done ZMF team!

I will be curious to learn more about amp pairings in coming months. 😊

Mar 10, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #203 of 707
Oriolus traillii Ti
Another highlight. Firstly, very happy they changed the shell to a full metal shell. I think it looks nicer than the original acrylic shell, it feels sturdy, it’s compact, and comfortable. Overall, it’s more neutrally tuned than the Fei wan. Little more air in the vocals with less low end, but cleaner punch. 6k is a hard pill to swallow, but this would probably be one of my top picks price no object. However, because of its price, to me, it gets beat out by another IEM that I’ll mention later down.
Hate to bring it to you, but 6k is the price of regular red Traillii JP. The price of the Ti version is 8.5k and it’s more limited to obtain produced by different Chinese Oriolus district

Mar 10, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #204 of 707
Subtonic storm
Finally got to try this and was very pleasantly surprised. I was expecting an absolute bass cannon. It has a lot of bass, but it’s articulate and clean and coherent. As someone who isn’t huge on bass, honestly this thing is awesome. It also has smaller staging similar to the trifecta, but I prefer it to the trifecta without a doubt.
Great comparison, thanks. Is there any news about Storm's availability?

Mar 10, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #205 of 707
Hate to bring it to you, but 6k is the price of regular red Traillii JP. The price of the Ti version is 8.5k and it’s more limited to obtain produced by different Chinese Oriolus district
Good lord LOL… … that changes the game unfortunately. I can’t imagine it being a 2.5k material upgrade lol

Mar 10, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #206 of 707
Good lord LOL… … that changes the game unfortunately. I can’t imagine it being a 2.5k material upgrade lol
I did not hear the TI version, but I did listen to the original last year and was not disappointed by its truly singular delivery of vocals.

Mar 10, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #207 of 707
Does anyone have a map of the booth layouts?

I visited an iem cable booth but couldn't remember the brand name.

It was on the right aisle as you walk in, on the left side. Maybe second or third booth from the end.

Mar 10, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #208 of 707
Has anyone listened to the SJY Horizon at CanJam and have any impressions? I'm interested in them and wanted to purchase during the pre-order sale period but can't make it to CanJam to have a listen myself!
I too am curious, don't expect much response though...🙃

Mar 10, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #210 of 707
It’s not just a material change. It’s a different IEM with Traillii JP DNA

Ah gotcha gotcha thanks for the info. Haven’t tried the original myself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back