CanJam New York 2024 Impressions Thread (March 9-10, 2024)
Mar 10, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #226 of 707
The FiiO M23 was absolutely amazing and i look forward to purchasing it

Super nice people also

Attachments

• m23.png
    m23.png
    691.3 KB · Views: 0
Mar 10, 2024 at 6:59 PM Post #227 of 707
After my 3rd CanJam, I've learned one thing which I shall put into practice next year:

You WILL be overwhelmed and you WILL forget what you wanted to check out. Make a checklist - a literal list on your phone - of what you MUST SEE, and don't leave until you've checked off every item.

Things I missed this year that I really wanted to demo: Empyrean II, Audio-Technica billionaire amp & headphone, EE Raven, Feliks Envy 25th, Mass Kobo, Subtonic Storm
Very true and your recommendations are spot on. A checklist would have helped me to circle back to some things I forgot. I was overwhelmed my first CanJam last year. This year it seemed much more relaxed because I knew the layout and a plan of attack. However, I am easily distracted by all the cool tech and just chatting with enthusiasts and representatives. Very easy to lose track of time. I was able to try most of what interested me and got a good deal on some gear at ZMF. Overall, very happy this time around!

Did you listen to the new LTA Aero DAC?
I think it was there at the LTA table just to the left of the Velo and I think I saw it on a couple of other audio vendor tables. I was not following the Aero DAC development but that will be a goal on another CanJam. That is coolest thing at CanJam where the company reps share examples of their products with other vendors on several different tables so you get a decent chance to try an item you are focused on.

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #228 of 707
About to board my flight back to Houston. What a wonderful weekend! To all the Head Fi staff and vendors, thank you so much.

IMG_9278.jpeg

I am absolutely exhausted but I’d do it again in a heartbeat, maybe this time with less drinking at night and more rest 🤪😅

To everyone who I met for the first or second time and had great conversations with.. It was a pleasure.

Show highlights for me:

Subtonic Storm from iBasso PB5
Subtonic Storm from MASSKobo 465 with 8 wire Sovereign
Traillii Ti
Lotoo Mjolnir
AK SP3000T & NOVUS
Elysian Pilgrim
Nightjar Duality & Sovereign cables
Symphonium Crimson & Titan

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #229 of 707
About to board my flight back to Houston. What a wonderful weekend! To all the Head Fi staff and vendors, thank you so much.

IMG_9278.jpeg

I am absolutely exhausted but I’d do it again in a heartbeat, maybe this time with less drinking at night and more rest 🤪😅

To everyone who I met for the first or second time and had great conversations with.. It was a pleasure.

Show highlights for me:

Subtonic Storm from iBasso PB5
Subtonic Storm from MASSKobo 465 with 8 wire Sovereign
Traillii Ti
Lotoo Mjolnir
AK SP3000T & NOVUS
Elysian Pilgrim
Nightjar Duality & Sovereign cables
Symphonium Crimson & Titan
What made the Novus and the Elysian Pilgrim highlights of the show?

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:20 PM Post #230 of 707
What made the Novus and the Elysian Pilgrim highlights of the show?

Pilgrim - price to performance is incredible. It’s “Elysian sounding” with better bass quality than Anni and X (imo) but just not as technically capable. For $400 it’s an incredible product.

Novus - thought it sounded well balanced and large. Great details and techs with just a fairly inoffensive but not boring tonality.

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:33 PM Post #231 of 707
The FiiO M23 was absolutely amazing and i look forward to purchasing it

Super nice people also

Is that a base for the Fiio M23?

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #233 of 707
How was LTA's new DAC? I feel like each CanJam is becoming more and more DAP and IEM centric. Just so many new IEMs coming out. It shows how much the hobby seems to be shifting towards portable. Not to say there aren't desktop products, but they don't seem to be coming out at the same pace as DAPs and IEMs.

Unless you have $108,000 for that Audio-Technica amp...Wow that amp is gorgeous. I wonder how many they will make... MK only makes less than 10 of the 465 per year and the 394II is already gone.

Did Auralic show their new Vega G2.2 and G3 platforms?

Thanks to all of for your impressions...

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #234 of 707
Unless you have $108,000 for that Audio-Technica amp...Wow that amp is gorgeous. I wonder how many they will make...
From what I remember and don't quote me... I think the initial run was 25. The wood is harvested in very small batches and then goes up for auction only twice a year. So part of it is waiting and getting the wood, but they felt it added to the exclusivity of the amp.

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #235 of 707
Mar 10, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #236 of 707
Just curious what DAC/amp was driving the Tungsten? I have heard it sound really underwhelming out of some gear and mind blowing out of other gear. They are also VERY open open-backs.
Gustard A23!

Mar 10, 2024 at 8:09 PM Post #237 of 707
Could this be why it hasn't been released yet? Still figuring out how to dissipate all that heat? Because it looks like a finished amp by the pictures... I am speculating and mean no disrespect to headamp. Just a question from a curious onlooker of this amp...
I got a chance to spend some time listening to this amp (the upcoming Headamp CFA3) on Saturday. I was also expecting it to run hot, so I touched the heatsinks a bit. Definitely hot, but not too hot to touch.

headamp-cfa3-20240309.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #238 of 707
DCA E3 was so good i actually started crying hearing them for the first time. I told myself only IEM's from now but i will be purchasing these.
I actually came to compare the E3 with the Liric 2 and I got mixed feelings about these two closed back headphones. Sound wise, the E3 seemed more accurate to me, smooth and without any harsh notes. It sounded just right. It did require more amplification though. In comparison, I thought the Liric 2 was more colored with more treble presence and more fun presentation overall I guess. Design wise, I liked the Liric 2 more. The E3 headband seemed flimsy and my index finger would get stuck when grabbing it. Comfort wise, both were pretty comfortable. The Liric's headband adjusting mechanism seemed more reliable to me. Overall, I thought the Liric 2 would be a better portable solution, while the E3 would be a better desktop choice in terms of natural and accurate sound.
1000014158.jpg

1000014153.jpg

What did impress me was the Empyrean II. Everything about it was great to my taste. I loved the sound and comfort. I think I would need to spend more time with it to get to know it better and describe it in more detail. In a noisy environment, my goal was just to collect first impressions. And the Empyrean II was the clear winner for me today.
1000014122.jpg

Mar 10, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #239 of 707
Had a great time at my first ever CanJam (believe it or not!). Thanks to everyone who stopped by to chat, it was great meeting you all.

See you in SoCal later this year 😎

Users who are viewing this thread

Back