CanJam London 2023 Impressions Thread
Aug 21, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #301 of 463
I watched the first Rob Watts presentation on the first day. I think it was a good overview. He wasn't afraid to share some of his secret. :) Only thing that left me feel like "oh, come on" moment was when he repeated the -300 dB distortion hearing story. I wish he would have a setup that he can prove that. If Charles Darwin would be with us in the room, he would be very confused with his explanation that our brain possess the capability to process some information that is not needed for a large predator like us in the evolutionary process, that doesn't need to hear the insects walking on a tree, and that our auditory receptors are also a bottle neck - which can be confirmed with the other predators like cats which need to hear the tiniest of the noises in the wild, with more sophisticated receptors in larger numbers and a more sophisticated auditory system. We didn't evolve to be audiophiles in the end, but to survive.

I should have asked him about this but, maybe next year I will bring it up... :wink:
One thing I wondered when hearing that (in a previous interview) was whether when he’s filtering out that very low level noise down to -300dB if it changes the performance of how the electronics decode the audible frequencies, leading to the perception of better soundstage etc.

So that the real effect it isn’t hearing the information at that low level, but that the presence of that low level information in the audio stream introduces noise in the FPGA that affects how it decodes information at the level we can hear. It seemed to me that is an alternative explanation that would account for his findings and it would be difficult to determine which is correct.

Aug 21, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #302 of 463
CP622B6BA 2BC 2EST.

Now this is more like it. After a personal recommendation from the man Jude himself (after he’d finished listening), I managed to grab a quick session with these. The sound coming from their BC model is immediately bigger and a lot grander in both note size and staging. It’s a much more engaging and fun tuning that grabs you from the go, with the unique magic of bone conduction helping to create that physical sensation and engagement in the ears that almost takes you to a live gig situation.

Bass is thick and voluminous, with lots of sub emphasis. It’s a owerful sound that fils up the low end convincingly on tracks like Heaven and Disc Wars but doesn’t muddy up the overall signature. Overall tuning is sort of W shaped – they aren’t the thickest through the midrange, but there is a nice balance to the musicality that keeps things in check with the bass and offers some pretty good technical chops. On tracks like “Mother Maria” with lots of breathy vocal and layers of guitar, there is a sweetness to the sound and a nice clarity and roundness to the breathy vocals of Beth Hart, pushing the listener forward towards the music. again, another CA “in the music” style tuning. The guitar opening on “Millionaire” by Chris Stapleton sounds as good as anything I’ve heard today, which is no small feat.

Overall, too rich for my meagre budget but definitely can hold its own in the deep end of the current flagship market. Shells are much thicker but very comfortable in the ear. One interesting point that was notes is that these use the newest generation of Sonion bone conduction motors, which are targeted at the 2-3Khz range rather than being more full spectrum or bass-focused, so they are specifically poking at adding realism to vocals and mid range instrumentation with the newer version.It will be interesting to see manufacturers start blending the old and new BC motors alongside the other usual hybrid tech to get a more “full spectrum” conduction experience in future.

This IEM sounds intriguing. Is the availability and price announced?

Aug 21, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #303 of 463
Ideally it should be. Yet almost all the popular YT reviewers keep pushing their own taste as the 'objectively best sound' to different extent, maybe even without realising what they are doing. They simply favour some brands and dislike others, just as we all do. The problem is, with a follower base of inexperienced people comes a big responsibility. I don't want the whole industry to be shaped by the taste of a handful YT reviewers.
A few of them were roaming around at CanJam too and at some of the booths they were treated like some demigods, putting us regular human beings on hold. The attitude of the companies there was quite understandable, as these guys can stop or boost sales with half a sentence in a video.

I think, it is not good that a dozen reviewers get to shape future products and essentially the whole industry. I am not sure, how we the silent and critical crowd could balance out this phenomenon, but I am slightly worried to see these tendencies.
Rant over. :)
Hopefully more budding audio enthusiasts will come to the conclusion that written reviews are superior because you don't need to pause your music and waste valuable listening time :)

Aug 21, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #304 of 463
Not really a secret, he shares progress photos of his builds on social media all the time. These are a few from the 465, for example:

1692636338676.png 1692636353183.png 1692636370799.png 1692636389412.png
1692636282997.png 1692636310068.png

(Edit) A photo of him with the 465 he brought along from Japan:

1692636884100.jpeg
beautifully clean internals, tactile buttons and volume knob. i lurv the look of this head amp.

Aug 22, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #305 of 463
Aug 22, 2023 at 1:29 AM Post #306 of 463
This IEM sounds intriguing. Is the availability and price announced?
Not sure on whether it's in production yet, but the price was quoted at around $3400, if I remember correctly, never my comment about it being out of my budget. :wink:

Aug 22, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #307 of 463
Do you remember which pad model was mounted on the Camerton? There are 3 different pad models and each of them bring something different to the playback. The hybrid furry pads are the most bassy.
I didn’t know there were different pads. Unfortunately I didn’t get that intel. It may have been the furry ones as I didn’t notice anything leather or faux leather about the cups. Assuming those are the other options.

If I can relay it correctly, he said something along the lines that, the filter (that he was describing) needed to have a performance as good as -300dB, so that it can do its job correctly and transparently. And then he said, obviously nobody can hear -300dB, but the filter needs to have that level of performance.
Either I misheard him, or you did.
This is like my perception. He had a filter around -200dB, then improved it so it was at -300dB and when he compared the sound between the two the -300dB sounded better. I feel that he can’t quite explain why, but there is a difference.

Aug 22, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #308 of 463
This is like my perception. He had a filter around -200dB, then improved it so it was at -300dB and when he compared the sound between the two the -300dB sounded better. I feel that he can’t quite explain why, but there is a difference.
Correct. Now I use a -301dB as a test signal on all my digital modules, and if the amplitude and phase isn't perfect against 0dB then I know something is wrong. Fix it and it sounds better with better perception of depth. It's not that you can hear -301dB (that's impossible) but testing at that level reveals subjective issues - and I have no idea why the brain needs that level of accuracy, nor what it is about a 6kHz signal at -301dB measurement that is changing our perceptions. Perhaps it's a proxy for something else that is going on, or (more likely) improves accuracy for signals that we can actually hear.

Aug 22, 2023 at 4:12 AM Post #309 of 463
Either I misheard him, or you did.
None, you misread me.
I think this is a bit off-topic for this thread, but his presentations are also on YT about what he said.

PS: Aha, he is here. :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #311 of 463
Big thanks to the organisers of London CamJam - really enjoyed the Saturday. Huge respect to the dCS team, very knowledge, welcoming, had some great conversations, their enthusiasm for music, hifi and headphones was truly infectious. First listen to the Abyss 1266 on the Lina stack and was impressed. I think I would need more time to adjust the fit, but it was an intro to what that headphone can do. Plenty of headroom on the Lina amp though. I know having all the exihibitors on a patchy wifi can be difficult but it makes such a difference when you can listen to tracks you're familiar with.

Thanks to Hifonix for bringing some really interesting kit. I really enjoyed the Primavera, Dave/M-Scaler and Susvara - one particular drum solo was blistering with Dave - the impact and transient speed was notable - this is how I've heard live (unamplified) drums in the past.

Now a question did anyone else listen to the Viva Audio Egoista 845/dCS Rossini/Susvara? On the same track above I kept turning the volume up and I couldn't quite get anywhere near the level of engagement of the other stack. It just didn't feel like it was driving the Sus very well - was I missing something? I didn't think this amp had multiple gain settings?

Regretting not hanging out longer to listen to the Mass Kobo amp - but the Elise Audio tables were extremely busy...

Aug 22, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #312 of 463
Just want to share some more impressions, this time of the Campfire Audio Trifecta (a brief edit here of a more extensive post over on the Trifecta thread).

You know, I'm an unrepentant basshead. I like neutral reference sometimes, and more laid back things at other times, but there's always that part of me that's searching for the biggest, baddest bass on the planet, and when I listened to the Trifecta, I felt like I had finally reached the promised land :)

Of course, it's not simply about quantity, but quality.

Trifecta is like the American muscle car dream of low end tuning.
It astonished me with how authoritative and muscular it was.
It hits hard, it dives deep, it rumbles like the Bloods and the Crips.

What was very gratifying was being able to hear for myself how it matched many of the descriptions and analogies posted on Head-Fi by people who really enjoyed it (or were at least able to provide a balanced and objective description) :)

I actually don't have a great deal more to say. I mean I do, but I'd just be repeating what's already been said previously.

The main thing that happened when I put in the Trifecta and pressed play was a beatific grin plastered itself across my face.
Something like this --> :D only a bit more zen :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That's enjoyment of music the way it's supposed to be!

Aug 22, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #313 of 463
Impressions pt2:

Elysian Acoustics​

Annihilator1DD 4BA 2EST

This is a more classic audiophile sound compared to a lot of monitors I have listened to today. It’s not lacking in solidity, but it really is a lot more linear than some of the crazy low end tunings that have been on show in the ballroom this weekend. Bass is punchy and more sub than mid focused. There is bags of slam and air movement, with a genuine ice cream headache feeling coming on when you crank the volume on “Beat It”. Cymbals on that track feel crisp and zingy, with a good presence that cuts across the vocal and guitar. Instrument weight is middling, with a lot of rawness around electric guitar. No one would ever accuse this IEM of being laid back or sleepy, it’s a high energy, high contrast journey from the word go.

“Holy Wars” by Megadeth positively roars out of the earpieces, with just a hint of splashiness in the cymbal work but otherwise plenty of heft to Mustaine’s guitar work. “Three Chords” from southern rockers Goodbye June sounds positively radiant, the space presented on the stage for sonic reflections around the simple guitar refrain giving a great “in the studio room” vibe to it. It’s one of the few IEMs that has got my foot tapping today without producing more bass than a club woofer stack, which says a lot.

The body shape of the IEM shell is middling, with a flashy gold faceplate and a very polished feel to the build. Cable is thin but obviously aftermarket, and suits the Annihilator well. I’d categorise this as a capable flagship tier stuff for all but the most mid-averse listener – it even works for bassheads like me.

img_20230820_130159484_original.jpg

Nightjar Acoustics​

Another brand gathering some serious momentum at the moment is Sangaporean brand Nightjar acoustics. I spent a bit of time with the main designer (but not enough to get his name, sadly!), and they definitely have a refreshing take on what they want to produce for the IEM market in terms of tuning, and filling some gaps that are there in terms of tuning.

img_20230820_130754331_original.jpg

Singularity- 1DD

First up for me to demo was their new high end single DD model, called the Singularity – now THIS has a good sub bass kick. The Singularity provided plenty of woomph to “Heaven” by Emile Sande, definitely with a sub bass bias but the vocal still managed to sound forward and a little sweet. No harshness is apparent on Sande’s voice, which is impressive given the less than stellar mastering.

Loading up some Daft Punk, “Disc Wars” is the beefiest it’s sounded on the day, and “Get Lucky” is presented with a nice mid bass punch and a very liquid and well extended bass. The Singularity isn’t a total basshead sort of tuning, but bass is large and prominent in the signature, just without crowding or overshadowing the mids and treble on the stage. If I had to define it, it’s technically a flattish sort of tuning in terms of relative quantities between the frequency bands – it’s very far from flat when you listen, though!

Sticking with the bass tunes, “Hello, It’s Me” is again presented its a nice liquidity to the bassline, but it still manages to sound quite textured. This isn’t in the ultra detailed bracket like some flagships, but clarity is still very good overall, and very impressive for the price (somewhere a little north of 1000 pounds). The grit and growl of the electric bass in “Bad Rain” positively howls out of the IEM nozzle, with plenty of weight and physicality to the drum slams underneath – this is my sort of in ear.

“Palladio” by Escala is cavernously deep, and the bass just about manages to steer clear of the little click detail at 20 seconds in, but it’s a close run thing. “Holy Wars” sounds thick and thrashy with a really fat drum fill, but not blurriness or smearing of the sounds as the track careers forwards. Whatever they are doing with the dynamic driver, it’s working. Creamy mids – check. Nicely crisp cymbals that don’t dominate or grate – check. Fatness to guitars and bass, an an overall warmth that makes music very enjoyable – double check.

No point doing a more detailed analysis on these, they are fantastic for fans of a musical signature that still want a highly technically capable IEM. Just a shame they were completely sold out on the day (and of their entire first run). Can imagine these becoming a very popular audiophile standard on the scene shortly.

Even the design is top drawer – the shells are small, solid metal and light but very ergonomic, with the unusual singularity venting design like a textured series of 3D swirls on the faceplate in gold. it matches nicely with the cable, which is thin and very manageable. This IEM is the epitome of a pick up and play tuning taken to its logical flagship level conclusion. It’s just a shame it takes them so long to manufacture!

img_20230820_130825034_original.jpg

Duality – 2DD with pass porting design

The Duality was at the show as a demo model, and is not in production yet. They were reasonably coy about the design, but did confirm it consists of 2 dynamic drivers (one low, one mid/high). It was presented in a generic acrylic shell so I can’t comment on the intended design there, but it wil come with an optional impedance adapter to add an additional +5dB or thereabouts of bass shelf to the sub bass.

Sonically, the first thing you notice about the Duality is the fact it has stunningly good timbre, faaaaaat bass and still good mid and treble extension. When this launches, it will be the real deal for people who like low end in their music. It takes on design houses like Empire Ears and IMR Acoustics for raw grunt, but there is a musicality and overall balance to the tuning that really makes it something special.

It’s always a little misleading writing about demo tunings, but for a XXx tuned monitor, this is very rich, very thick but still resolving and ultimately very enjoyable. Even though the impedance adapter that makes it harder to drive than a nuclear power plant (in IEM terms), the added 5dB of low and sub bass makes “Palladio” by Escala absolutely boom out of the earpieces. It’s like being in a concert hall near the front by the large stack of Marshalls, just facing down the wall of air. Very fun.

One point to note about both of the nightjar models I tried is that they do require a really significant amount of power from your source to get to a decent listening level. This is an intended part of the design (so they can scale with higher end or more powerful amplification), but it does mean you’ll need to pair them with something beefy to get the best out of the sonics. Fortunately my Lotoo PAW6000 had no issues on high gain, but I did notice I had to run them a good 20 points higher on the volume pot than anything else on the day I tried that wasn’t an over-ear.

Vision Ears​

VE101DD 9BA

Another popular stall was the Vision Ears stall, where Marcel from VE was happy to discuss the vagaries of IEM design with anyone who happened by. I didn’t have chance to try their Aura collar with A&K, but did make sure I found time to listen to the new flagship from their VE serious, the VE10.

Firing it up, the sub bass starts out strong on the usual test tracks by Emile Sande and Daft Punk, with some notably good positional cues and incidental sounds coming through on “Disc Wars”. The signature is rich yet quote balanced, definitely leaning towards a WTO my tired ears.

The shell design and build is amazing – low profile, very unique looking and very premium metal build and feel. It feels like a real step up from the acrylic models in my opinion. Back to the music, and “Get Lucky” has a nice punch of mid bass and a low and elastic bass line which doesn’t overpower. “Palladio” is again rich but balanced, with the detail coming through cleanly and not getting swallowed up by the richness of the strings. The “Beat It” bass drums slam with intent, and the guitar tone is fat and channels pure EVH. “Cello Wars” by the Piano. Guys is a change of pace, givin a very enjoyable and dense rendition to the orchestration, balanced against some delicate plucking clearly audible on the picked string notes in the intro section.

This IEM matches up to every expectation I had for VE based on their VE8 and Erlkonig tunings, adding a slap of solid DD physicality to that rich and slightly wet balanced tonality that makes their house sound. “Holy Wars” sounds really powerful in the drum fills, and nicely bright in the cymbal work. Not a hint of congestion, and the speed of the DD driver is impressive. Similar for “Ship Goes Down” by Walking On Cars, the sub bass that drenches the track envelops the music without overpowering it.

Switching back to more acoustic intrumentation, this is another IEM that excels with the tone of “Millionaire” by Chris Stapleton and the sweetness of the jangling nylon strings on his guitar intro. Piano tone across the board also sounds very real, with “Superman” by Five For Fighting giving a very smooth but still clear rendition, with the piano overtones and richness leaving a lasting impression in the ear, along with the surprisingly chunky bass.

“Go” by The Chemical Brothers is equally as enjoyable, the VE10 rendering a bright but punchy dance along from the UK electronic duo, with a driving cymbal track and a euphoric chorus. This is again another example of a tuning that is almost “balanced for bassheads” in its execution, with a wide but not over large stage and a big sonic presentation. The VE10 is a thick, warm and resolving IEM, with plenty of punch and flagship grade tone and resolution. It’s a very accomplished in ear, and the sort of tuning a flagship should aspire to (in my humble opinion) – just damn good fun.

img_20230820_160923073_original.jpg

Noble Audio​

Spartacus4BA, 2BC

After owning the Kublai Khan for the best part of a year until very recently as my daily driver, it’s fair to say I am a fan of the overall Noble “house sound”. Again, their booth was pretty heavily subscribed over the time I was there, so I took the opportunity to check out one of their newest models that is just going into production, which also happens to be the latest one in their range to use bone conduction trickery.

The Spartacus has a nicely hefty sound – what are they putting in the BA water these days at Knowles and Sonion?! Overall, it sounded crisp, and quite forward – I need more time to make a better assessment, but if I had to try and pin the sound down, it feels most like a W shape from my brief impressions.

In the low end, “Heaven” and “Disc Wars” are both rendered with plenty of body, ignoring the fact there is no dynamic driver in this design to give a warm, chunky bass underpin to proceedings. The bass is north of neutral but definitely not wooly or smoothed over – “We Shall Not Be Moved” by Mavis Staples is full of micro detail in the lows, with the vocals hitting that Noble sweet spot of being…. well, forward and sweet. Bass is slightly softer than a classic DD in terms of sheer physical slam factor, but has a nice textured detailing. They have also done a really nice job with the coherency of the design – sounds blend really nicely, it isn’t easy to work out when BA ends and BC begins.

This model moves in to production as we speak, and should be a pretty strong contender in the sub $2k bracket it is being aimed at by the time it hits shelves. It has that richness and thickness of tone that classic Noble models like the K10 had, but plenty of resolve behind the weight too. It’s a nicely judged tuning, reminding me of models like the MMR Balmung in the way it definitely leans to the thick and musical, but without sacrificing much if anything in terms of clarity. Even Chris Stapleton sounds whiskey soaked but smooth through these, with only a whiff of that vinegary rasp that almost ruins “Whiskey and You” in the chorus every time you listen to it.

Shell design is recent Noble, so acrylic with a nice stabilised wood look to the faceplate. I think this could be the warmer, more musical successor to the Kublai Khan, adding slightly more weight and low end to the sound in exchange for the smallest bit of flagship level detailing. This will definitely resonate with people looking for a more musical model in the Noble range, or fans of the original Kaiser that put them on the map. Very good.

img_20230820_121732401_original-1.jpg

Effect Audio​

I popped by the Effect Audio booth to try out the other Elysian Acoustics model on my hit list for the day, their collaboration with EE called the Gaea.

Gaea – 1DD 4BA

initial impressions are that this is not the thickest sound, with a pretty zesty V shape to the tuning. It definitely feels prominent and a little thin in the upper mids / lower treble, but with a very clear nod towards musical rather than analytical though. Starting on the lows, “Disc Wars” sounds ok-ish, with enough sub presence to hold interest, but it isn’t dominating the soundscape like it should on this track. Detail retrieval sounds good to very good for the price bracket (c. $1500). The drum fill that sweeps in to the track just lacks a little weight and dynamics compared to some other IEMs I’ve heard today, almost like the traditional BA texture vs DD slam sort of difference.

There is lots of texture and dryness on the bass guitar for “Hello, It’s Me” by Sister Hazel, and the drums practically crack in the ear they are so punchy and crisp. This IEM is borderline thin and slightly upper-mid prominent overall, so not really my bag, but the detailing is undeniable (the “Palladio: click is clear as day, for instance).

There is no denying it’s visually very nicel looking, with a small and ergonomic shell and an unusual but nice looking and feeling cable. Final impression it left me with was this it is a good IEM, but just for someone else when it’s paired with the stock cable.

On recommendation from the EE team, I tried it with their show pairing of the Cadmus (referred to as “The Beast” by them for reasons that will become apparent). That cable is thicker than the rope I used to tow my car the last time it broke down, and about as ergonomic, but it does feel very luxurious and nice in the hand. It’s like the original Dunu Hulk went to finishing school. It does add a shade more weight and depth to the GAEA low end, and definitely ups the resolution across the finer micro details to my ears, which was a pleasant surprise. There is more dynamism in the bass sweep on “Disc Wars” with this pairing. Similarly, “Hello, It’s Me” feels more liquid in the bass guitar, but the snap on the snare and the crunch on the guitar is even more prominent now. More of a good thing if you are looking for a monitor that has a healthy raise and focus on the upper mids / female vocal registers, but still not quite for me. I can see how it would be an affordable flagship for someone, though (affordable in the ironic modern day audiophile sense of the word, obviously).

img_20230820_122618836_original.jpg
Nightjar - the person's name is Chang. Exchanged a couple of emails with him. Very nice person, quite helpful and transparent im explaining his products and design philosophy.

Can't wait for duality with impedance adapter for the boom shaka laka 💥

Aug 22, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #315 of 463
I am sooooo into clicking on the buy button for xDuoo XD05 PRO. I need strength to resist it!!!
You shouldn't resist that kind of thing. It causes stress and that's bad for you, and you lie awake yearning for electronic goodness.

How did you try it? What stood out for you? I tried it and couldn't hear a difference from my DX300, but that's just me. If I had a less capable DAP - or none I'd be very tempted also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back