CanJam London 2023 Impressions Thread
Aug 19, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #46 of 463
Just letting people know, I have cancelled my 3:15pm booking with the He1 tomorrow (Sunday). The link too book is somewhere in the original Canjam London 2023 thread.

Edit : Post #233.
Thanks man, I have taken it. Looking forward to those 15 minutes of audio bliss.

Aug 19, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #47 of 463
To those that heard the Heddphone V2, did they manage to fix the crazy subbass rolloff?

Aug 19, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #49 of 463
Yes! Could we please hear something about the new Heedphone 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
They were unfortunately my last stop and I had to rush to my train, so I only got to spend a few minutes with them.
The second iteration is a definite improvement! The whole headphone is smaller, and about 200g lighter. While the v1 feels Ike some huge and heavy 'thing' on your head the v2 actually feels like normal headphones. 700g vs just over 500g as I was told. The sound has improved too, although the change is less drastic than physics and comfort. In my brief test the v2 sounded better balanced, especially in the bass. Price will be somewhere around $2000.

Aug 19, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #50 of 463
Amazing day. Ton of fun. Best time had at Campfire stall with Trifecta, blimey.

1 hour 30 minutes left of Day 1!

If you're only here for today, don't miss the dCS Listening lounge experience...find us in Plaza Suite 11.

hf3.jpg
Absolute maverick move from DCS realising Utopia sounds better backwards. "With our new stack, the synergy of a Utopia on back to front is insane. You'll never go to wearing it the right way again."

Aug 19, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #51 of 463
They were unfortunately my last stop and I had to rush to my train, so I only got to spend a few minutes with them.
The second iteration is a definite improvement! The whole headphone is smaller, and about 200g lighter. While the v1 feels Ike some huge and heavy 'thing' on your head the v2 actually feels like normal headphones. 700g vs just over 500g as I was told. The sound has improved too, although the change is less drastic than physics and comfort. In my brief test the v2 sounded better balanced, especially in the bass. Price will be somewhere around $2000.
Guess at 2k I should risk getting one.
The loss when selling won't be that huge.

Aug 19, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #52 of 463
Just got back from an amazing day at Canjam. A big thank you to all the people involved in organising and running the event. I went with the expectation of just taking in the atmosphere and everything else would be a bonus, the day exceeded my expectations in every way. I must have listened to over 50k worth of gear. Time to get saving. 😁

Aug 19, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #53 of 463
Great first day.

Got to hear the super Mass-Kobo and somewhat a privilege to have the builder himself in the background. As far as SS amps go, it's the technicality master with tube romance, drove the Susvaras like nothing else.
20230819_110732.jpg

First time with the 211 tube, there's power and there's overkill for headphones.
20230819_112203.jpg

I really like the Primavera, a very well executed tube amp that's capable of powering different headphone loads. More companies should have the options to select impedance IMO.
20230819_114652.jpg

A ultimate customizable amplifier, decision fatigue may be an issue when you have over 20 ways on the fly to configure it
20230819_141443.jpg

The HEDDphone 2 was a surprise. I did own the first one so I'm happy it fixes most of my complaints.
20230819_133404.jpg

3.5mm angle jack, a big upgrade, mini XLR needs to die. Smaller and lighter to the point it's no longer a neck training machine but just a really conformable headphone. The headband is really unique as it can be adjusted in height and clamping force. It handled my big noggin easily where even the V2 HEDD was struggling.
It has the same sound signature I appreciated on the originals, more neutral, less massive, a tad more sensitivity but the same 41ohm impedance. Easily removable ear pads finally. Supposedly they'll be out for sale soon so maybe I'll try HEDD again.

Some more gear to audition and people to speak with tomorrow.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #54 of 463
I just wanted to say thank you to all of the staff involved in making CanJam London such an incredible experience. Today was my first CanJam visit and honestly, my head is reeling. I met so many incredible people and listened to so many diverse components and headphones that I would otherwise never get to listen to. Thank you. Sincerely. It was one of the best experiences I've ever had in this hobby. Amazing.

I'll post some impressions and images shortly.

Aug 19, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #55 of 463
I went there for the seminars (but still managed to leave with a Focal Celestee and Noble Audio FoKus Mystiques). The one on DAC architectures by Rob Watts of Chord Audio was outstanding, unfortunately I have other commitments tomorrow so I'll miss the one on transients.. The one on Audiophiles vs Pro Audio... ahem, less so. I missed Ricci's on xMEMS but I had spent quite a bit of time at their booth at the last CanJam London.

I brought my Focal Utopia V1 to audition the electronics, Fiio R7 (meh), Lotoo Mjölnir (very good, but the UI does not support browsing by composer, which is a deal-breaker for a classical music fan and a silly unforced mistake most DAP makers still make), and the Chord Hugo V2 (spent most of the time figuring out the god-awful UI and USB compatibility issues with my iPad Mini, the noughties called, they want their crappy micro-USB back). Questyle had a cute little mobile DAC out, but it doesn't have the final tuning out and also suffers from USB compatibility issues.

Very warm welcome from the Focal people and Aseem Hussain, the head of Hifonix. His daughter was also at the stand and they were raising money for Cancer Research UK, his elder daughter was struck by lymphoma. If you get the chance, do participate in their raffle. Absolutely lovely people. I also got to meet Jude who introduced me to Alessandro Contini, a musician who played with Nine Inch Nails, has a few albums I'v got to try on Qobuz, and was extremely scathing about Spotify and their business practices. I asked Jude what his recommendations for True Wireless IEMs are and he unequivocally said the AirPods Pro V2. Unfortunately they don't stay put in my ears. His other recommendation (as well as Aseem's) was the Hifiman Svanar Wireless, with the caveat it doesn't sound as good on iOS as on Android because of the former's lack of support for LDAC.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #56 of 463
Great first day!
My personal highlights:

High-end: Chord Dave + M Scaler --> Primavera tube amp --> DCA Expanse = unreal, the high end really does deliver.

More affordable: Chord Qutest + Anni stack = I'm a Chord fanboy and this combo really worked for me, seriously considering it.

Headphones / IEMs: many amazing listens including aforementioned Expanse, ZMF Atrium (on the Chord stand), Susvara (at Elise Audio), 64 Audio Nio; but the one that stood out was the Focal Bathys, because it's by far the best ANC headphone I've heard, SQ wise. Pricing is either a little too expensive compared to wireless competition (Sony, Bose, Apple etc) or good value compared to wired competition. Kind of tempting...

One disappointment was the Audeze CRBN, not because it's bad in any way - I thought it was every bit the high end headphone - but because this was the first electrostat I'd ever heard and I didn't quite "get" it. Felt it wasn't that different from the other stuff on offer. Maybe it was just ear fatigue by then...

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #59 of 463
So - I'd planned to try some stuff and replace my old (but spouse disturbing) HD600 with something simular and not go to far ...

Yeah so with thanks to Kevin on the NAIM/Focal table i've come away with a pair of Stellias and a Uniti Atom Headphone edition (fairly substancial show discount too) ...

Was nice to play with the ZMF and love the mix and match - but Naim/focal pairing just blew me away to be frank.

Late to the party but happy.

Aug 19, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #60 of 463
Some quick hit thoughts for the day

Biggest wow moment Subtonic Storm. Wanted to not like these as several kilo buck iems I’ve heard suck. These were the absolutely best IEMs I’ve ever heard and possibly beats all or most comers in the traditional headphone space as well. Bonus points the gentleman from Subtonic was 100% pure class. If you’ve not heard these take ten minutes with them to have your mind blown.

Best item I’m extremely likely to buy - this goes to Symphonium Audio Crimson. At the asking price it beats all I’ve heard save the Subtonic. Great sound and nice form factor to boot.

Biggest meh moment was QDC Tiger and VX. Wanted to love these and was left wanting. Super nicer vendor but the tonality on these is just too far from reality for me.

Coolest new vendor - my previous mentioned Soundz iems. Great sounding products and very very cool folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back