CanJam London 2019 (July 27-28, 2019)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #196 of 253
I reckon UK is a very small market and not worth the bother.
Being the only CanJam in Europe, I think this one addresses audiophiles throughout Europe...

Jul 24, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #197 of 253

It's still the world's fifth or sixth largest economy, depending on the Sterling exchange rate, and British Hi-Fi is highly respected in Europe and beyond.

I will be coming for a day with my brother-in-law, not sure whether Saturday or Sunday. I moved to London and my movers managed to misplace my Benchmark DAC2 HGC and DAC1 (they're in a warehouse in Croydon, I will find them in 2-3 years' time), so I am looking for a new source to plug into my AHB2 and B&W 804S, possibly a DAC3 DX (I finally ripped my entire SACD collection just before moving, so I am ditching analog audio sources).

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #198 of 253
Well London’s population is 8.8 million, the largest in the EU (yes, for the moment!) and nearly twice as much as Berlin, the second largest. So...no, that’s not a small market.

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #199 of 253
Being the only CanJam in Europe, I think this one addresses audiophiles throughout Europe...

Well London’s population is 8.8 million, the largest in the EU (yes, for the moment!) and nearly twice as much as Berlin, the second largest. So...no, that’s not a small market.
Well Sennheiser have been absent for a couple of years now. There is obviously a reason for that business decision.

Jul 25, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #200 of 253
London may well have over 8 million but most people here have no idea what a DAP is let alone a set of Andromeda for example!!!
99.9% of Londoners think the pinnacle of personal audio is the latest iPhone with a pair of beats or air pods!!!
It seems to me that sound quality matters far less than the image to this majority of people.
Every time I let someone try out my gear they are absolutely blown away by the quality of the music they are hearing.
Hopefully introducing a friend to this world of personal audio and bringing him to Canjam this weekend. His wife has already nailed his wallet to the floor :anguished: so he’ll still have a home to go to :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jul 25, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #201 of 253
Well Sennheiser have been absent for a couple of years now. There is obviously a reason for that business decision.

Dare I mention the B word? I don't mean our new illustrious leader Bumble Johnson either... :deadhorse:

*flees before political debates ensue.

Jul 25, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #203 of 253
C'mon, it is in London, but it's for all of the UK and beyond.
#londoncentric
#devonheadphonefan
You’re absolutely right, it’s a European Canjam really but what I’ve said about beats and pods is generally the attitude all over the UK, we need to spread the word, also enjoy the moment when you see the look on peoples faces when they hear music properly and for many that will be the first time they will hear music being played the way it should sound.

Jul 25, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #204 of 253
#londoncentric
#devonheadphonefan
Seconded by a Brummy headfier here (although i work in London a lot). Gutted i cant make it this weekend, on a stag do in Bristol. Have an awesome time all, very jealous!

Jul 25, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #205 of 253

Yeah, mainly Sennheiser UK not knowing their bum from their elbow. They have been hard work for years since certain people there left to move on to other things. Nothing to do with the market in the UK. They were present at Bristol Sound & Vision in February.

Jul 25, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #206 of 253
#londoncentric
#devonheadphonefan

Yeah I wasn't intending to be 'London centric/elitist' (touchy out there, fellas?!!) but merely readdressing the point about it being a small market here...and just happened to pick the sheer size of the market within 10 miles of the event.
Take the point about Beats/image and the like too...true, from my experience, sadly. But I'm sure it's a generalisation and there are thousands of audiophiles here we don't see.
It will be huge event I'm sure and if certain manufacturers aren't there, they'll have their individual reasons.

Jul 25, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #207 of 253
Yeah I wasn't intending to be 'London centric/elitist' (touchy out there, fellas?!!) but merely readdressing the point about it being a small market here...and just happened to pick the sheer size of the market within 10 miles of the event.
Take the point about Beats/image and the like too...true, from my experience, sadly. But I'm sure it's a generalisation and there are thousands of audiophiles here we don't see.
It will be huge event I'm sure and if certain manufacturers aren't there, they'll have their individual reasons.

Haha take it with a pinch of salt mate - from my end, I was only winding you up! I agree though, you regularly see on Head-Fi audophile meets for small cities in the US, I dont know if we could get 10 people in a room in Birmingham.

On that note, if there are any West Mids based audiphiles who would be keen to meet up and chew the fat, PM me and I'll see if I can organise something one weekend :)

Jul 25, 2019 at 6:26 AM Post #208 of 253
Dare I mention the B word? I don't mean our new illustrious leader Bumble Johnson either... :deadhorse:

I did wonder if this was a reason but I think the answer below sounds more likely.

#londoncentric
#devonheadphonefan
I was suggesting that the British audiophile market as a whole might be a bit of a dead loss. Perhaps as people's disposable income might be diminished by austerity etc.

Yeah, mainly Sennheiser UK not knowing their bum from their elbow. They have been hard work for years since certain people there left to move on to other things. Nothing to do with the market in the UK. They were present at Bristol Sound & Vision in February.

Jul 25, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #209 of 253

What you mean, Beats? Argh! I've gone and said it.

Jul 25, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #210 of 253
Haha take it with a pinch of salt mate - from my end, I was only winding you up! I agree though, you regularly see on Head-Fi audophile meets for small cities in the US, I dont know if we could get 10 people in a room in Birmingham.

On that note, if there are any West Mids based audiphiles who would be keen to meet up and chew the fat, PM me and I'll see if I can organise something one weekend :)

My other half is from Brum, so I occasionally pop up with her to see her family. So if you ever decide to do that, find a venue, make a thread and let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back