1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

CanJam London 2019 Impressions thread

First

Back
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
14 15 16 17 18 19
Next

Last
  1. Watagump

Something new from Noble is coming soon. Another hybrid in the sub $1000 region.

2. Sunstealer
    I did try the 5 driver prototype that Jim had with him and liked it a lot. Do you mean that?

3. Watagump

Nope, its a 2 driver hybrid, I wasn't aware of a 5 driver.

4. STR-1
    Thanks to Jude and the team for another great show.

Having sold all my iems over a year ago to fund upgrades to my main music system, but now having the funds to return to the portable side of things, it was iems I was most interested in this time round (it had been headphones and Chord Electronics gear in previous years).

The best iem I previously owned was the Noble Kaiser Encore, which I bought a couple of years ago after comparing it to the Katana. So I was very pleased to see Noble Audio make a return to the London show - a very pleasant team to talk to and I do hope they found their trip over to this side of the pond sufficiently successful to want to return next year. I did listen to the Khan and it does have something going for it but listening to it through my AK380 (at home I would feed the AK380 through a Chord dac) it just wasn't for me. I listen to a lot of classical and jazz, some acoustic, folk and 70s/80s rock, and only occasionally something like EDM. It is very clear and dynamic but piano sounded very odd through the Khan. I also tried the not-yet-in-production hybrid, but again it didn't provide the sound I was looking for (sorry, didn't take notes and can't remember the detail of what I thought). Fortunately, the Kaiser Encore sounded just as good as I remembered it, although this time round I felt the Katana got closer to matching it. If all I listened to was classical I would be hard pressed to choose between the two (might choose the Katana). I happily bought the last sealed-box Encore the team had at the show.

I also walked away with a (20% off) Westone W60 (great all-rounder), which I easily preferred to the W80. And just as I have options with my headphones, I extended my iem options with a third purchase. After trying out the Campfire Andromeda, Solaris, Polaris and Atlas I finally settled on the Andromeda. I've not yet opened that one and might decide to sell it on unopened as after playing around with the Encore and W60 at home I feel I've got most of my preference bases covered.

Other iems I tried included the Jomo Trinity (I liked it, but it did not shout out 'buy me'), the Audeze LCDi4 (must try this one again in better conditions - impressively clear and detailed but next to zero noise isolation), the hellishly expensive 64 Audio Tia Forte and Forte Noir (preferred the Tia to the Noir, which I felt was a little too smooth up top), and JHA Layla and Lola (preferred the extra clarity of the Layla).

The big cans I tried included the Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC (awesome through the Woo Audio WA33 but don't think my DAVE can do it justice) and Diana (not sure if it was the Phi but either way much closer in performance to the 1266 than I was expecting), Focal Stellia (some say the best closed back out there, and I can well believe it - must listen again in better conditions), Hifiman Susvara (a significant step up in refinement from my HE1000se, but again don't think my DAVE would be up to the job), RAAL Requisite SR1a (Hmm, weird, interesting but experience spoiled for me by a little fizzing on the left-hand side, which I think had something to do with the connection), HEDDphone ONE (sounded ok, detailed and neutral if lacking a little soul), Warwick Acoustics APERIO and Sonoma Model One (listening to these two helped enormously by use of the very effective sound pod - APERIO very impressive, offering detail and refinement significantly above the already very good Sonoma).

The only downer for me this year was the cancelled lucky draw for a 64 Audio iem.

Roll on CanJam London 2020.

5. Yassa
    So many great iem's and also its almost end of 2019, I personally will hold off buying anything this year as early next year could be interesting. Specially with a baby on the way iem's are my preference so no more money to waste. #make wise decisions

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    warriorpoet and joe like this.
  6. KT66
    It looks stunning, but didn't listen to it, I'm quite happy with my M-Dac at home, I don't
    need a reason to spend money!
    I did have a quick listen to the headphone amp and loved it.

Nik74 likes this.
  7. Yassa
    Thats one thing i will spend money on. thank you for your thoughts

8. ricmat
    Thank you episiarch!

episiarch likes this.
  9. KT66
    One thing worth noting, that I don't think they'd thought of is placement and ventilation.
    It's too tall to fit in a HIFI Rack, it has vents on top and will need clearance.
    I think it's too big to go on a normal desk, it'll need to go on top of a rack I think.

10. KT66
    One thing worth noting, that I don't think they'd thought of is placement and ventilation.
    It's too tall to fit in a HIFI Rack, it has vents on top and will need clearance.
    I think it's too big to go on normal desk, it'll need to on top of a rack I think.

11. AndrewH13
    Lovely afternoon spent at Canjam Saturday, as always, thanks to Ethan, Jude and the team, plus all the volunteers and exhibitors for making it happen.

190727 Canjam 05a.jpg

I had a list of about 30 Iems, Headphones and DAPs I wanted to try, made less than half of them! But listened to most of my top choice items.

My patient wife carrying my iBasso/ Mojo for iem listening!

190727 Canjam 02a.jpg

Two headphones stood out, I'm just going to dig out pictures, but on the iem front, the Tia Forte (for 2nd year running - if only not so expensive!) and Solaris were my favourites that I tried.

190727 Canjam 08a.jpg

Only the 3rd time I've listened to Stax, and never before the 009S with the Head-Amp Blue Hawaii. Kind of wished I hadn't. Absolutely fantastic with 4 different tracks I tried it with, wow!

And then finding a Hugo TT and M-Scaler also in the set-up, haha!

My favorite Headphone at the show that is in my pricerange, the Heinz Electrodynamic Designs, HeDDphone

190727 Canjam 03a.jpg

Had an interesting chat with Stephan Ruhl, Sales Manager Europe, and he let me unplug their Tablets and connect my iBasso to their Hugo2, which is similar to how I would use it if/when purchased.

190727 Canjam 07a.jpg

Fast fulll bass, lively mid-range, and crisp treble, what more could you want? Ok, maybe not for those preferring a rolled-off warmer sound, but for me it brought life to music and is a really promising headphone. Although heavy in hand, it seemed lighter on head than I was expecting.

Only problem I see, and that's only now looking at the photograph of me listening ..... the headband seems to have worn off the top of my hair :) (only joking)

190727 Canjam 04a.jpg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  12. jamato8 Contributor
    I have tried hot swapping and don't care for it. To me, the sound changes and is doesn't have the same fine quality of the standard AMP9.

13. NDonchev
    Hello, here are my impressions of the event. Keep in mind that I've never been to such event before and I went all the way from Bulgaria for it.

I was really eager to try the Schiit Gungnir and Schiit Yggdrasil but they were not there. Also I wanted to try some top tube amps and was hoping I will have that opportunity on Woo Audio's exhibition. That didn't happen either as they had mostly mobile devices and electrostatic amps. One of my top options for a new DAC was the Chord Qutest, but it haven't been on Chord's exhibition.

I was expecting that there will be an easy way to play your own music (via Tidal, for example) for testing equipment. On a lot of the booths that was not possible. For example on the Chord booth 2 of the three computers were connected to Tidal and the other one was not. I guess that is normal on such events, but as it was my first, I was a bit surprised.

So, it wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but overall I'm really, really impressed by the event. I liked the atmosphere and it was nice to meet fellow CanJamers. This is a lonely hobby in my country, not much people who are interested in such expensive headphone equipment.

There were so many things to try that I have read about but never though I will have the possibility to audition. Top electrostatic gear, some Schiit, the Hugo TT2 and Dave and many more.

I was also really impressed by the Noble Khan. I can't believe an IEM can sound sooo good. I even though of buying it despite that I don't need IEMs. But keep in mind that I have never tried high-end IEMs before.

Also, I was impressed by Schiit's Jotunheim and Ragnarok 2. Really liked how it sounds. So basically, now I'm waiting for my Yggdrasil to arrive. It was really hard to decide between it and the Gungnir without hearing them, but I hope I did a good choice.

Benchmark DAC3 was another peace of equipment that I liked a lot.

Amazing event! Thanks very much to the people that made the effort to organize it.

That is not all I want to say, but I have to go now. I just wanted to share some of my experience.

marhol, DecentLevi, snk8699 and 8 others like this.
  14. HungryPanda
    The HEDDphone was truly a surprise, I really wanted to hear it and loved it

DecentLevi, nick n and AndrewH13 like this.
  15. krismusic Contributor
    I was surprised how many IEM manufacturers were exhibiting. I don't remember there being so many in previous years.

Scribemole likes this.
First

Back
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
14 15 16 17 18 19
Next

Last