CanJam London 2017 Impressions Thread (July 15-16, 2017)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 16, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #31 of 147
IH8EwPv.jpg

A Schiit Mjolnir 2 with the Gungnir Multibit. As an owner of the DAC myself, I can highly recommend it to anyone at the show today for demo. It's at the Schiit Audio/MrSpeakers/Dekoni booth run by Mark over at Electromod.

asnvEal.jpg

One of Dekoni's pads. A perforated one that reminds me of the pads on my Focal Utopia.

5P1S2pz.jpg

This was my second time hearing the Schiit Yggdrasil and I walked away with the same impressions as last time. It is a drier sound than my Gumby, but quite a step up in just how clean and analytical it sounds - while retaining a natural tone across the board.

W9AbMS6.jpg

i1FCt8u.jpg

I listened to the Questyle Gold Stack with the Focal Utopia at their dual-booth. I felt that the Questyle, while it had neutral midrange reproduction, had an accentuated low end - definitely a more weighty experience of the bass of the Utopia than I'm used to.

4nfkf9Z.jpg

7mzV4X4.jpg

More Dekoni pads in their very stationary shop (in a good way) packaging.
LLblF0P.jpg

The lower-treble peak of the Susvara made it a bit painful for me to listen to, falling directly into where I'm sensitive. They had a HE-1000 V2 plugged into the same amp, and when I switched over it was like dipping your feet into a cool stream of water after walking in hot sand. I am told, however, that Hifiman's usage of the older amp does not do the Susvara justice - but that they had some mixup at DHL so they weren't able to use their source that was meant to be paired with the new $6000 headphones.
KFYWnUJ.jpg

That being said, I listened to it out of this amp as well and found it similarly sharp in the treble.
SBMtltt.jpg

fc035537-f9bf-4962-8748-444ba2524944
xuleNZA.jpg

A really nice surprise for me. This DAC/Amp combo does not even have a final chassis yet (this is a 3D printed placeholder) but it sounds quite incredible. It fully drove a pair of Focal Utopias and has such a detailed but natural sound to it that neither leans into warm nor bright territory. It left me wanting to hear more as, despite the Yggdrasil being quite a bit more analytical and revealing - this had a "sweet" sound to it by comparison that was very apparent to me as I went through familiar tracks on Tidal.

khHqGtn.jpg

With my recent intense interest in tube amplifiers, and recent purchase of a Feliks Audio Elise from a gent here on Head-fi, I was looking forward to their booth quite a bit. Their first event in the UK, the brothers at Feliks Audio wished that their father could have joined them (the man who started the company with forty years of experience) but admitted that he was too elderly to travel.

The near-identical looking Euphoria and Elise were my main attention-holders. Basically, the Elise has a warmer and more "tube-y" sound while the Euphoria has a cleaner, more analytical and brighter sound with wider staging and more intricate detail retrieval. With these differences, it honestly becomes a matter of preference and taste between the two - as at least one CanJam goer preferred the Elise. I, personally, preferred the Euphoria - especially with the ZMF Eikon and Focal Utopia, as it does so well with their desire to present detail to the listener. I hope to have one in for review so I can compare it to my Elise and do some tube-rolling as well.
qiLpYXg.jpg

The new ZMF Eikon variant, using camphor wood, that Zach from ZMF Headphones sent to the guys at Feliks Audio for their booth. This headphone pairs very well with OTL tube amplifiers.

---------------------------

Overall, I enjoyed CanJam this year but I must admit that I missed some of the vendors from last year - particularly Cavalli Audio and Moon Audio. This is purely selfish on my part, but I wanted to hear more tube amplifier offerings - which Cavalli have with the Liquid Tungsten and Moon Audio have with the Dragon Inspire IHA-1. Very nicely run event though and I hope to see it again next year.
Thanks for your excellent feedback did you get the chance to Mrspeakers Aeon? Are they really that good to knock Ether Cs out of the park

Jul 16, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #33 of 147
Random thoughts,

Shangri La has best treble/cymbals i ever heard, made a Zeppelin song ive heard 100 times sound like new.
Mr Speakers Electrostatics had big bass distortion in the Left Cup, pre-production i understand (and apparently the music i was listening to "Wasn't electrostatic music" lol) not doing the company any favours.
Stax L300 were not there to demo, and the music on offer wasn't exactly my thing anyway.
Hifiman edition X sounds as good as i remember, Still not sure i trust their build quality though.
Still prefer Elears over Utopias, was interested in Octave V16 amp till i found out the price :money_mouth:

Sonoma model one was nice, comfortable and very natural sounding, im pretty sure everyone had the Amp turned up to the max. and im not sure how $5000 translates to £5000, ah well.

Orpheus is a work of art, again not familiar with the music on offer so cant really judge
'Sonoma model one was nice, comfortable and very natural sounding, im pretty sure everyone had the Amp turned up to the max. and im not sure how $5000 translates to £5000, ah well.'
Agree with your comments on the Sonoma System. Was told by the designer that gain level was chosen to comply with European Law on hearing protection. Apparently as it's a one make headphone amp system it's covered by the same laws which govern max output on one make ipod/ MP3 players which come with earphones!. He said they had considered making one with higher gain for the U.S market.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #34 of 147
Attended a very interesting seminar on the future of headphones. A quite extraordinary panel of legends including Jude.
A great day out though. One thought. I wonder if there is any way of getting hold of the show guide in advance. I've just been sitting here looking through it thinking darn. Missed that!

Could only make the Saturday, and just reading the show brochure myself. Had exactly the same feeling as you, 'oh, why didn't I visit' x, y and z'.

Also enjoyed the seminar, here's a pic of panel with Rob in full flow:

1707CJam10a-web.jpg

Highlights for me were seeing Poly in action, a brief listen to Mr Speakers updated electrostatic, and iBasso DX200 balanced with my Shure 846s. And meeting friends, old and new.

1707CJam09a.jpg

Thanks to all involved in putting on this great show.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #35 of 147
Can-Jam
Great show, my first dedicated HP show. My impressions from Saturday on amps and headphones on demo. Sent on Phone so may be some spelling. Sorry no pics, I was loaded with luggage.

My point of reference is my own Stax 009, Carbon amp fed by an Audio Note NOS DAC 5. I am totally open to any system I.e if it sounds great IMO I will say so. I took 3 tracks that I know well- Alex Morphe, Rammstien , Beyoncé as it reduces confusion (for me) and I have points of reference. I got access for 15-20 minutes on each demo. I play quite loud.

Stax 009 + Stax T8000
This is better than my old 717, warmer and smoother, good dynamic nice treble detail. But IMO not better than my KGSSHv Sanyo. It doesn't quite rid the 009 of its sterile nature that has always bugged me on older Stax amps. yes it is better / an improvement but not far enough. so price seems a bit high for the performance.
Note I had to listen to Diana Krall and Peter Gabriel here as no USB port. DAC was Ayre I believe.

Stax 009 + Trilogy Audio Amplifier
This was introduced as a ground up new design with all tube line stage. It sounded better than the T8000 but not by much. Nice enough but not excited yet. I get a wow moment at home on my Carbon. Not hearing that hear. The soundstage is nothing special. Looking in the top grill out has 6 tube set horizontally. It was not as warm as my Carbon on the case / top. Think it costs 5K. Nice to see a UK product, and I wanted to be wowed but not happening.
No USB port so listened to Diana Krall and some Jazz.
DAC was Esoteric K-01

Stax 009 + BHSE
Right there. Wow moment. Full sound, fast, dynamic, kicking bass detail, wide soundstage. Sounds superb played loud and gone is the 009 coldness or slight synthetic character. Could have sat there all day and felt I was in familiar territory to my home system.
Used my music and the DAC was Halo Spring. Happy.

LCD4 + Headamp GSX
Moved immediately to this from BHSE and same DAC. Great dynamics. Kicks harder in the upper bass esp on drums, slightly darker as expected. Very different way to present the music. Less plankton more midrange body. I can't fault these 2 not sure if I am already to converted by Stats, but seriously would like to own both if I had the means. I think the LCD4 is more forgiving than the 009 which will help it fit to more front ends IMO. Anyway very nice, but not selling my 009s.
My tracks used at the HeadAmp stand.

CHORD + Upscaler + LCD4
Talked direct to Mike at this stand! The LCD was fed direct out the DAVE. Good sound here, the DAC is obviously v good. Fast, that wow soundstage of the DAVE. It was clean and not digital or edgy. I found it very close to the Halo and GSX combo. I am unsure if it was any better. The DAVE was at 0db volume,maybe needs a bit more to get the LCD4s to rock.it was loud an ought but senses some compression v the GSX combo. If it was me, I would get the DAVE but allow for an amp on top, at least with these HPs. So came away from that thinking the combo can go better bur obviously that is more money.
I uses my tracks on this.

HiFi Man Shangri-lLa
Got right on this, no wait.
From the LCD4 and CHORD this sounded very different,more like my 009s. immediately noticed it was bright. I can accept this if it is dead smooth in its delivery, but it wasn't. Ignoring the insane cost of this system for a moment and listening to how it sounds only. It is back to a cold and sharp stat sound that reminded me of my early Lambdas. I got through the dance track ok, but into Beyoncé it all got too shrill and distracting. Details are there, decent dynamics and tube midrange from those 300Bs, but it lost IMO many of the strengths I heard on my SET 300B speaker amps I was disappointed TBH. This is or should be best in the game, but I am not hearing it. My tracks and DAC was CHORD DAVE.

Focal Utopia + Felix Audio 4 Tube amp
Wow, this sounds good. Great drive and lots of energy. I immediately liked this system. Lots of detail but linear and smooth, very organic. The dance track was pumping, nothing wrong here. Beyoncé was full and sounded real and placed in the soundstage, no vocal edges or problems. I found I was very relaxed with this setup, and could listen for hours. It had it all there, nothing missing just not false or synthetic sounding. I spoke to the owner and the company is in Poland and is new to selling in the UK. Then I asked how much is the amp, and he said £850. Wow. That is a superb example of top sound for real world money. IMO it beat the Shangri-La on sonics. Sorry about that but I feel I can say IMO that is what I was hearing,
Didn't recognise the DAC but it was sub 2k I believe. I used my tracks.

HE-1
So excited finally to hear this.
Totally personal space and 1 guy operating the T&A CDP big complaint here, I couldn't use my tracks and the scrappy selection of music was very poor. Some were CDRs with no sleeve note. I had to pick 2 tracks by Alannis Moresetti and some Bach orchestral. The HE-1 was obviously very smooth. Soundstage was about the same as my 009. Those tubes are all good IMO, the whole sound was very real and balanced no digital feel or lack of realism. The sound was a diversion from any other top HPs I have heard. It may be a bit slow or thicker than what I am used to, as in fuller body in the mids. I would need to hear more to be sure it can rock and I wonder if it is a bit dark?
Shame Sennheiser didn't allow a USB stick, or at least have more CDs to choose from. So I came away a bit annoyed / deflated TBH. I has no feel to kill my credit card.

Sum up
Great show, loved it. Not too loud for good demos, not too crowded. Even saw Jules. Pity Woo or the Abyss were not there.

So the 009 and BHSE still my favourite at the show and v close to my Carbon / on par. I know it can sound better than at the show with NOS tubes, and maybe even better DAC. I need another go at the HE-1. My first hearing of the LCD4 and Utopia was an eye opener and if I didn't have my 009a would be happy with either of those partnered with a good amp. They do things a bit differently to stats and I wouldn't like to claim which is more real / accurate but TBH I could Live with either.

Anyway my thoughts and probably old news to some here, but hope somebody found it useful.

As a note, I bought the Sony SE MHR5 at the show to use on the train with my iPod. And for 190 quid they are really good. Very light, smooth and great deep bass. Probably best on pop and dance material as not so transparent, but go loud with no harshness. Wish I had heard the TOTL model but ran our of time.

Jul 16, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #36 of 147
Can-Jam
Great show, my first dedicated HP show. My impressions from Saturday on amps and headphones on demo. Sent on Phone so may be some spelling. Sorry no pics, I was loaded with luggage.

My point of reference is my own Stax 009, Carbon amp fed by an Audio Note NOS DAC 5. I am totally open to any system I.e if it sounds great IMO I will say so. I took 3 tracks that I know well- Alex Morphe, Rammstien , Beyoncé as it reduces confusion (for me) and I have points of reference. I got access for 15-20 minutes on each demo. I play quite loud.

Stax 009 + Stax T8000
This is better than my old 717, warmer and smoother, good dynamic nice treble detail. But IMO not better than my KGSSHv Sanyo. It doesn't quite rid the 009 of its sterile nature that has always bugged me on older Stax amps. yes it is better / an improvement but not far enough. so price seems a bit high for the performance.
Note I had to listen to Diana Krall and Peter Gabriel here as no USB port. DAC was Ayre I believe.

This was introduced as a ground up new design with all tube line stage. It sounded better than the T8000 but not by much. Nice enough but not excited yet. I get a wow moment at home on my Carbon. Not hearing that hear. The soundstage is nothing special. Looking in the top grill out has 6 tube set horizontally. It was not as warm as my Carbon on the case / top. Think it costs 5K. Nice to see a UK product, and I wanted to be wowed but not happening.
DAC was Esoteric K-01

Stax 009 + BHSE
Right there. Wow moment. Full sound, fast, dynamic, kicking bass detail, wide soundstage. Sounds superb played loud and gone is the 009 coldness or slight synthetic character. Could have sat there all day and felt I was in familiar territory to my home system.

LCD4 + Headamp GSX
Moved immediately to this from BHSE and same DAC. Great dynamics. Kicks harder in the upper bass esp on drums, slightly darker as expected. Very different way to present the music. Less plankton more midrange body. I can't fault these 2 not sure if I am already to converted by Stats, but seriously would like to own both if I had the means. I think the LCD4 is more forgiving than the 009 which will help it fit to more front ends IMO. Anyway very nice, but not selling my 009s.

CHORD + Upscaler + LCD4
Talked direct to Mike at this stand! The LCD was fed direct out the DAVE. Good sound here, the DAC is obviously v good. Fast, that wow soundstage of the DAVE. It was clean and not digital or edgy. I found it very close to the Halo and GSX combo. I am unsure if it was any better. The DAVE was at 0db volume,maybe needs a bit more to get the LCD4s to rock.it was loud an ought but senses some compression v the GSX combo. If it was me, I would get the DAVE but allow for an amp on top, at least with these HPs. So came away from that thinking the combo can go better bur obviously that is more money.

HiFi Man Shangri-lLa
From the LCD4 and CHORD this sounded very different,more like my 009s. immediately noticed it was bright. I can accept this if it is dead smooth in its delivery, but it wasn't. Ignoring the insane cost of this system for a moment and listening to how it sounds only. It is back to a cold and sharp stat sound that reminded me of my early Lambdas. I got through the dance track ok, but into Beyoncé it all got too shrill and distracting. Details are there, decent dynamics and tube midrange from those 300Bs, but it lost IMO many of the strengths I heard on my SET 300B speaker amps I was disappointed TBH. This is or should be best in the game, but I am not hearing it. My tracks and DAC was CHORD DAVE.

Wow, this sounds good. Great drive and lots of energy. I immediately liked this system. Lots of detail but linear and smooth, very organic. The dance track was pumping, nothing wrong here. Beyoncé was full and sounded real and placed in the soundstage, no vocal edges or problems. I found I was very relaxed with this setup, and could listen for hours. It had it all there, nothing missing just not false or synthetic sounding. I spoke to the owner and the company is in Poland and is new to selling in the UK. Then I asked how much is the amp, and he said £850. Wow. That is a superb example of top sound for real world money. IMO it beat the Shangri-La on sonics. Sorry about that but I feel I can say IMO that is what I was hearing,

HE-1
Totally personal space and 1 guy operating the T&A CDP big complaint here, I couldn't use my tracks and the scrappy selection of music was very poor. Some were CDRs with no sleeve note. I had to pick 2 tracks by Alannis Moresetti and some Bach orchestral. The HE-1 was obviously very smooth. Soundstage was about the same as my 009. Those tubes are all good IMO, the whole sound was very real and balanced no digital feel or lack of realism. The sound was a diversion from any other top HPs I have heard. It may be a bit slow or thicker than what I am used to, as in fuller body in the mids. I would need to hear more to be sure it can rock and I wonder if it is a bit dark?
Shame Sennheiser didn't allow a USB stick, or at least have more CDs to choose from. So I came away a bit annoyed / deflated TBH. I has no feel to kill my credit card.

Sum up
Great show, loved it. Not too loud for good demos, not too crowded. Even saw Jules. Pity Woo or the Abyss were not there.

So the 009 and BHSE still my favourite at the show and v close to my Carbon / on par. I know it can sound better than at the show with NOS tubes, and maybe even better DAC. I need another go at the HE-1. My first hearing of the LCD4 and Utopia was an eye opener and if I didn't have my 009a would be happy with either of those partnered with a good amp. They do things a bit differently to stats and I wouldn't like to claim which is more real / accurate but TBH I could Live with either.

Anyway my thoughts and probably old news to some here, but hope somebody found it useful.

As a note, I bought the Sony SE MHR5 at the show to use on the train with my iPod. And for 190 quid they are really good. Very light, smooth and great deep bass. Probably best on pop and dance material as not so transparent, but go loud with no harshness. Wish I had heard the TOTL model but ran our of time.

Very nice report astrostar59. You have good hearing and good taste. I was not on CanJam but I listened Shangri La in my country on show and completely agree with you, and moreover it is nonsense project in my opinion. I listened also 009 with KGSSHV Carbon with Audio Note DAC 5 on visit my friend and it is great pairing, Audio Note gave 009 nice visceral smoother feel which for example Yggdrasil can not. Also agree on your opinion about Audeze, yes it is more forgiving and it is reason why I would get preference to quality planars like Audeze (or even HE1000) it can be better solution for people which listen "everything" as me. Shame that there was not Abyss, would be interesting your opinion.
Again thank you for your quality report:)

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #37 of 147
Well that's my 1st CanJam cherry well and truly popped! Both my wife and I had a fantastic time at the event. We had a weekend pass and attended both days.
There were lots of surprises to say the least. Some gear I thought I would love that disappointed. Some that absolutely delivered and some that delivered that wasn't even on my radar.
I won't list the disappointments but instead keep this positive by sharing the things that I really enjoyed that were also a bit of a nice surprise.
I really enjoyed the Ultratone M Plus Black Pearl, Audioquest Nightowl Carbon and Westone W80
All in all we had a fantastic weekend and I would easily recommend this event to anyone thinking about going.

Jul 16, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #38 of 147
I don't know how many people picked up on this, however - I have a new favourite tip for my IEMs...

The Final "E Tip" tips - not sure what magic they weave, but - for a silicon tip, great isolation, and great solid sound - glad for the free show samples, but hope that Final release them to the general market, and not just to those buying their IEMs, I think they could take on the likes of SpinFit quite easily.

Jul 16, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #39 of 147
I don't know how many people picked up on this, however - I have a new favourite tip for my IEMs...

The Final "E Tip" tips - not sure what magic they weave, but - for a silicon tip, great isolation, and great solid sound - glad for the free show samples, but hope that Final release them to the general market, and not just to those buying their IEMs, I think they could take on the likes of SpinFit quite easily.
I picked up a pack myself.

Final also did a spectacular job with the Final E3000, their entry level at 49 pounds. Easily the one to recommend to start, not just because of the excellent sound but the over build quality too.

Jul 16, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #40 of 147

Totally agree with you here. I actually really like the U18. Very detailed and balanced to my ears. So much better than the A12's. The A12's feels like a bass cannon compared to them. The fourte was also very good. Wish they could have custom versions. The Zeus on the other hand... was not a very pleasant experience. Not really sure what the hype was. Sound was very mid centric, very harsh and not at all worth the price tag. I prefer the R over the XIV, but even then, I feel it's just not worth the money compared to the U18.

Of all the IEM's I've listened to (didn't get a chance to listen to the KSE 1500, I would rank them at least for me:

64 Audio U18
64 Audio Fourte
Noble Katana
Noble Kaiser Encore
Sennheiser IE800
Empire Ears Zeus XR

Did you get hiss with your source? That's the major thing that bummed me out about the Zeus when I tested it last year. People have reported it still does, even though I heard the first offering. Its hilarious that its last on your list, it just goes to show the different opinions people have, it left me unsatisfied also. My opinion may have changed when I was suppose to be first on the list to demo the R, but I was never contacted back about getting it after I sent a PM to Jack.

Jul 16, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #41 of 147
Third Canjam London I've been to and have to say it's the best one so far. Loads of new exhibitors and so happy that Sony turned up. Everyone was super friendly as usual. Managed to listen to a few prototypes from Final and Empire. Enjoyed both and working out how to save up for the Sony Z1r

Jul 16, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #43 of 147
Well that's my 1st CanJam cherry well and truly popped! Both my wife and I had a fantastic time at the event. We had a weekend pass and attended both days.
There were lots of surprises to say the least. Some gear I thought I would love that disappointed. Some that absolutely delivered and some that delivered that wasn't even on my radar.
I won't list the disappointments but instead keep this positive by sharing the things that I really enjoyed that were also a bit of a nice surprise.
I really enjoyed the Ultratone M Plus Black Pearl, Audioquest Nightowl Carbon and Westone W80
All in all we had a fantastic weekend and I would easily recommend this event to anyone thinking about going.

Did Westone had their newly updated UM Pro series at the show?

Jul 16, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #44 of 147
Some scattered impressions from the gear I heard this weekend:

I was most impressed by far with the Kennerton equipment, especially the Odin. I'm absolutely addicted and kept coming back to listen some more. I tend to like fairly flat, analytical sound signatures; the Kennerton tuning manages to preserve the accuracy/mids that I like while imparting a little bit of musicality/warmth to it. The Odin sounded great with Shanling's DAC/Amp combo, but paired exceptionally well with the Auris tube amps (which are gorgeous designs, by the way). I talked to the CEO, Valentin, for a while about their upcoming stuff and also got the chance to try out a few demo units. There were two sample variants on the Odin, one which ran a little bit warmer than the current production model and didn't quite have as much snap to it, and another that was colder and absolutely sucked the fun out of it. According to Valentin the FR graph for the cold model is pretty much perfect, which goes to show why actually listening to headphones is important. Apparently next up for the company is a dynamic headphone with 38 drivers in it (I saw a picture of the inside; it looks very sci-fi), and a lighter version of the Odin, which some people find too heavy even though I think the weight distribution makes it still feel comfortable. The lighter version is going to utilize kevlar (so still no plastic!) and come in at a significantly cheaper price. They're also going to start offering parts so that if you're a current Odin owner and want a lighter grill, for instance, you can pick it up online. After talking with them, it's pretty clear that Kennerton has two priorities: get a kick-ass sound, and treat the customers right. If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend checking out the company, and can't wait to get an Odin for myself.

There were a few times when I preferred the 'little sibling' headphones to the top of the line. For instance, I preferred the HE-1000s over the Susvaras, which I thought were too trebley. Similarly, I much preferred the Elears over the Utopias. While the Utopia is technically amazing, I found the soundstage to actually just be too wide for the most part. It generally made rock sound too impersonal, whereas the Elear sounds along the same order of magnitude technically and somewhat more intimate. I did not feel this way about the HD800/s vs the HD650, however. The HD800 was so wide open and crystal clear without managing to sound scattered like the Utopia. The HD650s were a clear step down in this case.

I came into the event really wanting to listen to Mr. Speakers headphones because I thought they'd be up my alley, but I found the tuning to be consistently off. The Aeon played awfully with my QP1R; the mid-treble range was extremely screechy and discordant. On other gear it was somewhat better, but the Aeons, as well as the rest of the line, turned out to not be to my taste.

I got to listen to a bunch of electrostats for the first time. Since I like clarity and don't tend to care too much about bass, I figured that they would be something I'm into, but for the most part they didn't elicit an emotional response from me. I spent a while with the Mr. Speakers version, and found them to be... pleasant? Briefly listened to the Shangri-La and thought they were extremely clear but didn't fall in love (in all fairness, I purposely didn't give myself enough time to fall in love with the 50k headphone system :D). I also listened to all the Stax pairs that were around multiple times, and I think the SR-007 (which if I recall correctly was being powered by a BHSE) was my favorite electrostatic that I listened to. Unfortunately, none of the Stax systems seemed set up to use my own source/listen to music I was familiar with, so it was pretty hard to judge. I'd like to give electrostatics another spin sometime later, but all-in-all left feeling like they're not my cup of tea.

Tried the Sony Z1Rs- super comfortable and lightweight, which was an amusing juxtaposition to the Walkman player which I'm pretty sure can be used as a blunt-force weapon in a pinch.

The Final planar prototypes had nice mids and a well controlled bass, which I liked.

I listened to a few pairs of Fostex headphones, but consistently found them to be too bassy and muddy. A/B tested the TH900 against a pair of Ultrasone DJs, and found the Ultrasones to be way clearer.

I tried a few Audeze headphones such as the LCD-4s and XCs, and generally found them nice to listen to but not particularly noteworthy. Similar feelings about the Pioneer open headphones I listened to (not sure on exact model number).

I heard the Mojo (and the Poly) for the first time, and found them not for me at all. I can't put my finger on what exactly it was, but the sound from the Mojo didn't sound pleasant. Did a little A/B testing between it and the QP1R and would choose the latter any day. Also, the combined unit is quite big.

Gave the Zeus XR a listen to- they have a nice sound, but I prefer the more analytical tone of my JH-13v2.

Speaking of my JH-13s, I got the chance to try them with some Effect Audio cables. They definitely made the headphones sound warmer, but it's unclear to me whether that's just because I use the stock cables with the bass pots all the way down, and I think cables without the pots are equivalent to them being turned all the way up. Regardless, I don't think they made a significant enough sonic difference that I want to go down that rabbit hole.

The Meze 99s were fun-sounding but obviously there was a pretty big gap between their technical capabilities and a lot of the other headphones at the show.

There was a small company called Meters with a pair of ANC headphones that I quite liked called the OV-1. They have three modes- EQ boost, passive, and ANC. EQ boost makes them sound boomy and awful, passive mode is still much too warm for me and cuts out clarity in the mids, but with ANC on for some reason the sound signature opens up quite a bit and it sounds way more clear. The noise cancelling worked pretty well for eliminating background noise, but I actually never heard noise cancelling headphones before so can't offer a comparison to other ANC systems. The headphones have a VU meter built into the side, which looks very unique and a bit steampunk. I picked up a pair to use as travel headphones; excited to explore them more.

The Shanling M2s was really impressive; if it had a second SD slot I'd be regretting getting the QP1R. I can't believe they got that much sound into such a tiny player.

Speaking of tiny, I heard the Kuos Realamp prototype and I thought it did an excellent job with the Utopias they had paired with it. I was also shocked by how light it was. Apparently it's going to get a fair bit heavier when they start making metal bodies for it- I think they should stick with lightweight materials since it would be great for the transportable market.

I probably missed a few things, but I think this about sums up where my weekend went.

Jul 16, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #45 of 147
Can-Jam

Stax 009 + Stax T8000

DAC was Esoteric K-01

Stax 009 + BHSE

LCD4 + Headamp GSX

CHORD + Upscaler + LCD4

HiFi Man Shangri-lLa

HE-1

Sum up

Mm..thanks for the impressions specially Stax T8000. On the chord plus upscaler, was that the Chord Blu Mk 2 that was connected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back