CanJam London 2017 Impressions Thread (July 15-16, 2017)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 17, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #61 of 147
Thanks for your excellent feedback did you get the chance to Mrspeakers Aeon? Are they really that good to knock Ether Cs out of the park

I've been going back and forth on planar closed options for a long while - getting a chance to listen to a variety of options was my primary reason for attending CJ.

After reading/watching loads of reviews, my target list was (in this order);
  • Audeze LCD-XC
  • MrSpeakers Ether Flow C
  • MrSpeakers Aeon Flow
I was there both days, on Saturday I gave all of them a really good run through several times. I got a little distracted by the Ether Flow (open) - just an incredible set of phones, but I'm typically an open guy, thats what I'm drawn to, the majority of my headphones are open. It was a welcome distraction though :) I left on Saturday thinking that I'd be back on Sunday to buy the Ether Flow C.

As much as I liked the audio profile (and design aesthetic) of the LCD-XC, it was just far too heavy. I have music on most of the day while at my desk, one reason I was interested in a closed option, is so the rest of the guys in the office don't have to be subjected to my music all day long :wink:. I just couldn't see how the weight of the LCD-XC would be viable for long term use while sat at a desk. The clamping on the LCD-XC weren't brilliant, tilt your head forward and they start to slide/move off your head. Perhaps thats just me, or perhaps the bands on the demo units had given a little.

I went back on Sunday to give things another listen, after having had the night to think and reflect. The LCD-XCs' were already out of the equation by this point. Spent a fair bit of time at Mark's (Electromod) stand, doing AB comparisons of the Ether Flow C and the Aeon Flow.

Its all subjective, but to me, the Aeon Flow outperformed the Ether Flow C, for sure. I was really confused and conflicted by this, I preferred a lot of intangibles about the Ether Flow C, the way they feel, the way they look, but on what matters most, the sound, the Aeon Flow just won the day for me. Logically its in-keeping with Dan's design philosophy, he's taken what they've learnt from the Ether Flow C and put that learning into the Aeon.

So I left on Sunday with a set of Aeon Flows :)

Now just need to replace the stock cable (although so far today, its not been that annoying, the length isn't too bad) - any cable recommendations?

ftFuEEM.jpg

Also finally got around to replacing the stock T50RPmk3 pads, and made a decision on a DAP, after having played with all of the ones at the show!
I was doing the same thing to compare Ether C Flow & Aeon. But I had the opposite feeling, which I still prefer Ether C Flow over Aeon. Especially in terms of SoundStage and looks and comfort for my head. Anyway, this just how I feel.

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #62 of 147
Did you get hiss with your source? That's the major thing that bummed me out about the Zeus when I tested it last year. People have reported it still does, even though I heard the first offering. Its hilarious that its last on your list, it just goes to show the different opinions people have, it left me unsatisfied also. My opinion may have changed when I was suppose to be first on the list to demo the R, but I was never contacted back about getting it after I sent a PM to Jack.

I don't recall any hiss with my Mojo + Samsung S8 pairing.

Pretty surprised by the amount of negative reactions towards the Zeus-XR. Did you guys try the non-ADEL (XR) or the ADEL version (XRA)? It should be noted that the XRA is significantly leaner and sharper than the XR. The XR custom is, in turn, more bodied and natural than the XR universal demo. Though, it must be said, the U18 is pretty amazing, and it wouldn't surprise me if you were at least slightly underwhelmed by the XR after hearing the U18.

I tried the XRA version. To be fair though, I did just come straight from the U18 and Fourte, and they were incredible. Maybe I should have given the XR a chance, but by that point, I was thoroughly underwhelmed and have shifted my focus elsewhere.

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #63 of 147
Pretty surprised by the amount of negative reactions towards the Zeus-XR. Did you guys try the non-ADEL (XR) or the ADEL version (XRA)? It should be noted that the XRA is significantly leaner and sharper than the XR. The XR custom is, in turn, more bodied and natural than the XR universal demo. Though, it must be said, the U18 is pretty amazing, and it wouldn't surprise me if you were at least slightly underwhelmed by the XR after hearing the U18.

Fantastic show - took my son but we were both like kids in a sweet shop all day!

I'll admit that I'm always pulled towards the headphones with more low end abilities and felt that both the A12 and A18 were great fun - more so the A12 (see bass comment!). Paul (representing 64 Audio via Custom IEM Co UK) was fantastic. Put up with me switching from one model to another for quite some time and also spent the time to answer my endless questions - great rep for 64 Audio at the show.
Felt that the EmpireEars Zeus (Adel version) were not my personal choice, but after speaking with Jack and his Dad they guided me towards their Savage 9 ("less audiophile and more musician" they told me). Great fun IEMs and pretty compact for the punch. Tried the Adel and non-Adel versions and leaned more towards the non-Adel - a little fuller and significantly better at shutting out the outside world. They do not have them on their website to order online as yet but are definitely worth an audition if you have the chance (and like bass, obviously).

All in all a great event - can't wait for the next one!

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #64 of 147
Fantastic show - took my son but we were both like kids in a sweet shop all day!

I'll admit that I'm always pulled towards the headphones with more low end abilities and felt that both the A12 and A18 were great fun - more so the A12 (see bass comment!). Paul (representing 64 Audio via Custom IEM Co UK) was fantastic. Put up with me switching from one model to another for quite some time and also spent the time to answer my endless questions - great rep for 64 Audio at the show.
Felt that the EmpireEars Zeus (Adel version) were not my personal choice, but after speaking with Jack and his Dad they guided me towards their Savage 9 ("less audiophile and more musician" they told me). Great fun IEMs and pretty compact for the punch. Tried the Adel and non-Adel versions and leaned more towards the non-Adel - a little fuller and significantly better at shutting out the outside world. They do not have them on their website to order online as yet but are definitely worth an audition if you have the chance (and like bass, obviously).

All in all a great event - can't wait for the next one!

Yeah, the Savage lineup is, for now, in the pre-production stage and is only available as endorsement pieces for artists in the US. Though, they just made the Savage 6 available at Japan's e-earphone, so release of the Savage line to the public doesn't seem that far off.

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #65 of 147
Lucky we all hear things differently to keep all the manufacturers going so there's choice out there!

I personally didn't get on with the Tia fourte. Not sure if the unit was faulty as my friend heard it the same. They sounded like I had the pulled out slightly so that there wasn't a proper seal. I wouldn't pay $3500 for them even if I didn't feel they sounded strange!

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #66 of 147
Can-Jam
Great show, my first dedicated HP show. My impressions from Saturday on amps and headphones on demo. Sent on Phone so may be some spelling. Sorry no pics, I was loaded with luggage.

My point of reference is my own Stax 009, Carbon amp fed by an Audio Note NOS DAC 5. I am totally open to any system I.e if it sounds great IMO I will say so. I took 3 tracks that I know well- Alex Morphe, Rammstien , Beyoncé as it reduces confusion (for me) and I have points of reference. I got access for 15-20 minutes on each demo. I play quite loud.

Stax 009 + Stax T8000
This is better than my old 717, warmer and smoother, good dynamic nice treble detail. But IMO not better than my KGSSHv Sanyo. It doesn't quite rid the 009 of its sterile nature that has always bugged me on older Stax amps. yes it is better / an improvement but not far enough. so price seems a bit high for the performance.
Note I had to listen to Diana Krall and Peter Gabriel here as no USB port. DAC was Ayre I believe.

Stax 009 + Trilogy Audio Amplifier
This was introduced as a ground up new design with all tube line stage. It sounded better than the T8000 but not by much. Nice enough but not excited yet. I get a wow moment at home on my Carbon. Not hearing that hear. The soundstage is nothing special. Looking in the top grill out has 6 tube set horizontally. It was not as warm as my Carbon on the case / top. Think it costs 5K. Nice to see a UK product, and I wanted to be wowed but not happening.
No USB port so listened to Diana Krall and some Jazz.
DAC was Esoteric K-01

Stax 009 + BHSE
Right there. Wow moment. Full sound, fast, dynamic, kicking bass detail, wide soundstage. Sounds superb played loud and gone is the 009 coldness or slight synthetic character. Could have sat there all day and felt I was in familiar territory to my home system.
Used my music and the DAC was Halo Spring. Happy.

LCD4 + Headamp GSX
Moved immediately to this from BHSE and same DAC. Great dynamics. Kicks harder in the upper bass esp on drums, slightly darker as expected. Very different way to present the music. Less plankton more midrange body. I can't fault these 2 not sure if I am already to converted by Stats, but seriously would like to own both if I had the means. I think the LCD4 is more forgiving than the 009 which will help it fit to more front ends IMO. Anyway very nice, but not selling my 009s.
My tracks used at the HeadAmp stand.

CHORD + Upscaler + LCD4
Talked direct to Mike at this stand! The LCD was fed direct out the DAVE. Good sound here, the DAC is obviously v good. Fast, that wow soundstage of the DAVE. It was clean and not digital or edgy. I found it very close to the Halo and GSX combo. I am unsure if it was any better. The DAVE was at 0db volume,maybe needs a bit more to get the LCD4s to rock.it was loud an ought but senses some compression v the GSX combo. If it was me, I would get the DAVE but allow for an amp on top, at least with these HPs. So came away from that thinking the combo can go better bur obviously that is more money.
I uses my tracks on this.

HiFi Man Shangri-lLa
Got right on this, no wait.
From the LCD4 and CHORD this sounded very different,more like my 009s. immediately noticed it was bright. I can accept this if it is dead smooth in its delivery, but it wasn't. Ignoring the insane cost of this system for a moment and listening to how it sounds only. It is back to a cold and sharp stat sound that reminded me of my early Lambdas. I got through the dance track ok, but into Beyoncé it all got too shrill and distracting. Details are there, decent dynamics and tube midrange from those 300Bs, but it lost IMO many of the strengths I heard on my SET 300B speaker amps I was disappointed TBH. This is or should be best in the game, but I am not hearing it. My tracks and DAC was CHORD DAVE.

Focal Utopia + Felix Audio 4 Tube amp
Wow, this sounds good. Great drive and lots of energy. I immediately liked this system. Lots of detail but linear and smooth, very organic. The dance track was pumping, nothing wrong here. Beyoncé was full and sounded real and placed in the soundstage, no vocal edges or problems. I found I was very relaxed with this setup, and could listen for hours. It had it all there, nothing missing just not false or synthetic sounding. I spoke to the owner and the company is in Poland and is new to selling in the UK. Then I asked how much is the amp, and he said £850. Wow. That is a superb example of top sound for real world money. IMO it beat the Shangri-La on sonics. Sorry about that but I feel I can say IMO that is what I was hearing,
Didn't recognise the DAC but it was sub 2k I believe. I used my tracks.

HE-1
So excited finally to hear this.
Totally personal space and 1 guy operating the T&A CDP big complaint here, I couldn't use my tracks and the scrappy selection of music was very poor. Some were CDRs with no sleeve note. I had to pick 2 tracks by Alannis Moresetti and some Bach orchestral. The HE-1 was obviously very smooth. Soundstage was about the same as my 009. Those tubes are all good IMO, the whole sound was very real and balanced no digital feel or lack of realism. The sound was a diversion from any other top HPs I have heard. It may be a bit slow or thicker than what I am used to, as in fuller body in the mids. I would need to hear more to be sure it can rock and I wonder if it is a bit dark?
Shame Sennheiser didn't allow a USB stick, or at least have more CDs to choose from. So I came away a bit annoyed / deflated TBH. I has no feel to kill my credit card.

Sum up
Great show, loved it. Not too loud for good demos, not too crowded. Even saw Jules. Pity Woo or the Abyss were not there.

So the 009 and BHSE still my favourite at the show and v close to my Carbon / on par. I know it can sound better than at the show with NOS tubes, and maybe even better DAC. I need another go at the HE-1. My first hearing of the LCD4 and Utopia was an eye opener and if I didn't have my 009a would be happy with either of those partnered with a good amp. They do things a bit differently to stats and I wouldn't like to claim which is more real / accurate but TBH I could Live with either.

Anyway my thoughts and probably old news to some here, but hope somebody found it useful.

As a note, I bought the Sony SE MHR5 at the show to use on the train with my iPod. And for 190 quid they are really good. Very light, smooth and great deep bass. Probably best on pop and dance material as not so transparent, but go loud with no harshness. Wish I had heard the TOTL model but ran our of time.
Oh well I had high hopes for the Trilogy,never mind

Jul 17, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #68 of 147
Well that was an interesting show. It was great to be able to try out so many headphones and kit that I had only read about before. I even got a chance of 15 minutes with the Sennheiser HE1 and Axel Grell. Not sure which one impressed me more! It was certainly the highlight of my trip and although I will never have that kind of money to spend it was great to know where the state of the art has reached at this point. Other honourable mentions go to Feliks Audio for their Headphone amps at prices even I could afford. The Susvara from HiFiMan was the best sounding Planar I have ever heard and sounded like an electrostatic as it was so clean and clear. Actually I preferred them to the Shangri La which was kind of surprising. The biggest surprise for me was the sound produced by the Sonoma Model 1. I was deeply impressed and despite the price tag think its not too crazy as you get an energiser/amp/dac alongwith the headphones as a complete package.

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #69 of 147
Mm..thanks for confirming.

To attendees, please post your impressions of the Dave and Chord Blu Mk 2.

The Chord Blu 2 is one of the main reasons I went to Canjam... I only had a very short list of things I wanted to listen to and for the most part there's very little which ended up being added to my shopping list this year... relatively speaking, that is. I am grateful for this.

Anyhow, for a variety of reasons... mainly trains, I only had the briefest of moments with the Blu 2 but nevertheless I did get a chance to the do the only thing I was interested in, which was to see what the upscaling capabilities are. Due to the brevity of my audition, I've been hesitant to post... given my brief impressions but nevertheless:

It was right at the end of the day while Chord was shutting shop... so quite rushed. I very briefly spoke to Rob Watts about the Blu 2 and what the intentions were with the designs. He very kindly allowed me to listen to the Blu 2 and explained its capabilities. He is a very passionate guy and something of a workaholic... and it shows. It's always a pleasure touching down with him as well as John Franks (who wasn't present) and the Chord team... great guys.
Literally one song which was Adele's Rolling in the Deep; set up was Macbook (I think) USB>Blu 2>Dave>Audeze LCD-4.

I asked for the setup to be the standard output first then switched to upscaled mode. Looking at the input on the Chord Dave, initially the Sampling Frequency was 44.1kHz... I could not see what Rob changed on the Blu 2 but the upscaling was done via switching I believe. The sampling frequency showed an increase to 768kHz on The Dave. Switching took about 10 seconds to cycle through from standard to the highest available setting.
Ignoring the fact I'm not so familiar with the LCD-4 v2 (I owned the v1 before the driver changes but returned it)... and considering there was significant noise from exhibitors packing and taking down stands, nevertheless the difference is immediately apparent;
As expected, tonality remained the same as did the soundstage; width and height, however dynamics were immediately increased. The expansive soundstage was immediately filled with a fuller presentation, significantly richer and layering became noticeable, notes weightier and more detailed... almost to the extent that it seemed like a DSP had been turned on. Nothing digital or unnatural here though... The deep bass drum at the beginning of Rolling on Deep had more weight and texture, this also made Adele's foot on the piano pedals more apparent. Mids/vocals were immediately richer, more emotive. Overall the sound presentation just became incredibly rich and palpable. In my opinion, the LCD-4s in are a relatively forgiving headphone which is further compounded by a loud environment, so specifically at the higher frquencies with other headphones, I've no doubt there would have been other things to notice with more complex music. It's possible that more micro detail may become more noticeable but I don't think it's going to bring out anything which is completely hidden in recordings, I think what it can do is make micro detail more discernable and the existing presentation fuller and richer.

I want to try bringing my own CD source for a comparison next time I might audition; not being skeptical as such but just scientific about what the difference is with the Blu II vs a standard CD output. In terms of what I experienced, we're not talking about a small increase in performance, it is quite a significant difference and immediately apparent. As an owner of the Chord Dave I do believe the Blu II is pretty much a must for what it seems to be able to bring to the table. The upscaling abilities are so immediate it is pretty staggering and far more evident than the subtle changes I was expecting. It is similar to what you experience comparing a FLAC to a DSD recording of the same song... which is exactly the aim of the Blu II's upscaling capabilities.

One thing to note is that the initial Blu II design was going to only have upscaling capabilities of the CD transport however the scope of this was increased to include the USB... this is a key feature which I'm surprised was not included in the original scope for the Blu II... though I'm sure it also meant quite a few challenges to overcome.

Another thing was that I (think I) noticed the sampling frequency display 4 different sampling rates... at least I'm pretty sure I did, as I was also jabbering at the same time however I the specifications for the Blu II state that there are 3 sampling frequencies which can be selected. Whether that means 3 additional sampling frequencies on top of the standard sampling rate, I'm not sure but if there is a difference in the production model, that will likely be down to the one at Chord's desk being the first prototype model... or my not paying proper attention.

Overall, colour me impressed. Beautiful work indeed. In the shopping basket that goes!

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #70 of 147
Impressions from Canjam 2017

ELECTROSTATS:

The Stax SR-009 is a headphone I previously owned powered by the KGSSHV and while I did like that combo, I never got used to its slightly ethereal, floating presentation. It's been a while since I had that and for the most part I've not thought about it too much. Out of curiosity I tried the same headphone powered by the BHSE and that is quite a pairing. Everything is more planted, notes are rich and fuller but the speed and air that a good electrostat system should have are retained. It's made me reconsider the SR-009 again as I very much enjoyed this setup and it surprised me.

While I was upstairs I didn't know that the Sonoma Acoustics room was a walk in room. Out of curiosity I tried out their Model One. There was another manufacturer I spoke to prior to visiting that room and I have to say they were quite disparaging about Sonoma... In fact this was one of three slightly unpleasant conversations I had with manufacturers about competitors... but I'll leave those politics to the side for now.
The headphones themselves I don't mind the look of. They remind me of the HE1 headphone in terms of look. A lot of people complain about the weight of larger headphones and there is no such problem here, these weigh around 300g, so very comfortable however I also felt it made them feel cheaper in the hands than they should do. They are very large drivers which easily sit on the head and cover the ears.
The difficulty here was most of the music selection on offer is not what I listen to and finding something to A-B to what I had with me was difficult. The source was running DSD and I only had FLAC on my setup...
Tonally these are quite weighty sounding, significant low frequency response. Mids are also thick but slightly recessed and the highs I found a little rolled off. These did not sound like what I expected an electrostat to sound like and they were a little slower. Volume wise, I was probably a little past the 12 O'clock mark for comfortable listening so I didn't find it too underpowered as others did. The sound is pretty open, not huge and there were some layering capabilities but nothing like the higher end Stax setups.
I compared this to the Lotoo Paw Gold>KSE1500 with the few songs I could find a match for. Yes, not the same thing at all but it's a reference point. Immediately it was apparent that the detail retrieval of the KSE1500 is far more capable than the Model One. Soundstage noticeably wider, presentation faster. The soundstage of the model one seemed slightly deeper. Mids are not recessed on the KSE1500 and highs are far more present. The mid bass response of the Model one is far more emphasized than it's subbass response and the KSE1500 simply reaches far lower. Overall the KSE1500 demonstrated some limitations of the Model one, mainly in terms of clarity, soundstage and detail retrieval. The KSE1500 is more natural sounding, more instrumentally accurate but also flatter.
Nevertheless if price is taken into consideration I sincerely feel that the Model One is relatively good value despite all the above. You get the headphone and a decently matched amp and DAC section in quite a compact package. I'd seriously consider it as a good introduction to Electrostatic systems and especially for someone who does not necessarily want the punishingly revealing presentation of some other electrostats.
It is a comfortable lounge listening setup both in terms of comfort and listening style.

Sennheiser HE1; Actually this isn't in reference to an audition to this year's Canjam but last years. I mention this here for a couple of reasons because I notice someone said that they couldn't try their own source. Last year, I was allowed to request this and I used a modest Questyle QP1r playing FLAC feeding via digital optical and had the opportunity to try around 20 tracks... and in that respect if users were not allowed to try their own sources at this year's Canjam, I think that is a crying shame.
I think I am the only person who thinks the HE1 doesn't sound natural... there is so much weight in the low frequency response that the headphones vibrate on the ears. Immense clarity, air and instrumental separation with a huge weighty foundation. It's a very full frequency assault on the ears, very visceral, very musical. I like that type of presentation but it's not what I think of as completely natural. It does sound so immense it's like a set of floorstanding speakers but I don't think I could close my eyes and imagine myself in a concert hall unless it was a venue with very unusual acoustics.
Soundstage is not the widest and certainly the HD800 and Abyss AB-1266 is wider... possibly on a par with the HE1000 V2. Slightly above the average for flagship open headphones, I'd say. It's that clarity plus weight though... incredible. This does not sound like an electrostatic presentation, it sounds like a hybrid... which it is.
I originally came away wanting to place an order for those last year and so contacted Sennheiser on the basis that the advertised price was, at the time, £35k. For that, I could live with the couple of unusual niggles I had with it; mainly the choice of DAC... which is well implemented but could have been a better choice (in my opinion) but also whatever amplifiers sit in the headphones, requires cooling fins; it was the end of the day and I could easily notice the warmth from the fins on my ears.
Forward a couple of months and I was assigned a concierge, had some discussions, registered my interest and they came back to me to say that the price excluded VAT, a few material changes and my final price would be £55k... that plus I was also quoted an additional £5k (I think) because I wanted it in black marble rather than white. Ultimately that killed my interest completely. It's not quite what I consider a no-compromise solution and £40k would be my limit for such a system given that I feel my very best desktop setup excels in certain areas when compared at just over half the price.
Edit: It's a fair point well made by Raypin but my perception of an unnaturalness in the HE1's presentation may well come from my use of a Digital Optical Source. Having found that the Chord Dave presents the same recordings noticeably differently depending on input... and despite galvonic isolation, very differently from source to source on the same USB input, it's quite possible that the HE1 may have a more natural presentation, to my ear, with a more optimum source via Coax.

PLANARS:
The one thing I learned at the event is that I am a very low volume listener compared to the average person who was at the show and nearly every booth I visited, I needed to turn the volume down a good 20%.
I mention this because the one IEM which I do like and have a pre-order for is the Audeze LCD-i4. There was much talk about how much power this requires to drive it properly and also the gentleman at the booth said he considers it to sound almost identical to the LCD-4 headphone. The latter part of this I didn't find;
I used a Sony WM1z for my audition so bear in mind this already has a thick presentation. It is a Japanese model so not volume capped. For my usual listening levels, or as high as I like, standard output, volume was up to around the 100 mark and I didn't get the impression there was a lack of overhead power. The LCD-i4, as expected, is tremendously open sounding and quite capable of layering vertically. Rich sounding with a robust low frequency response, both in terms of quantity and quality. Mids are also thick, sweet sounding and then highs (5kHz+) were probably not quite as emphasized... now some of this may well come down to the WM1z's presentation but unfortunately I did not bring any other DAPs to try... different day, different things I could fit in my bag.
Is it a baby LCD-4? I don't think so... it shares the same (again my opinion) forgiving, polite presentation the LCD-4 has, similar detail retrieval but to my ears I found the low frequency response and mids to be noticeably thicker. I suspect similar to how the KSE1500 has an unusually weighty presentation in the low frequencies compared to most electrostatic headphones due to the effect of minturisation and the interaction with ear canals it is a similar effect comparing the i4 to it's headphone brother. Nevertheless it has a far more headphone like, open and layered presentation than most IEMs I've experienced and of everything I've been in contact with the only thing I would compare to this particular part of its presentation is the (unfortunately) no longer available Final Audio Design Lab II... which I regret not purchasing earlier in the year despite my misgivings about its lack of subbass response.
Nevertheless the LCD-i4's has a presentation I very much like and I look forward to receiving this whenever the next batch arrives in The UK.

Heading over to Hifiman I was able to get the answer to a couple of questions I've had with their products. I was able to A-B my HE1000 v1 to the v2. My understanding is that the drivers are the same and the main changes are down to some material changes such as the earcup. The wood around the cup is thicker on the V2 compared to the V1.
I did not experience the staggering differences that others have described, I felt the differences were more subtle. To my ears the soundstage of the V1 is slightly wider than the V2 and in that respect it's very similar to the difference I experienced between the Sennheiser HD800 and HD800s (I found the HD800s to be ever so slightly narrower)... it's the reason I didn't upgrade my HD800 and for the most part why I'm not so interested in the HE1000 V2. The most significant difference was the presentation of the mids, which on the V2 are slightly more forward... there is a little more clarity, more high frequency detail and air but not so much that I'd have been able to tell if I didn't have the two headphones side by side. Overall careful pairing of the V1 with an amplifier (in my case the Auralic Taurus MkII) and cables manages to overcome the relative weaknesses of the V1 enough that I couldn't justify the cost of the return and upgrade offer Hifiman have. In that respect if I were in the market for the HE1000, I'd strongly consider sourcing a used V1 and putting the difference in price towards some well matched sources and cable.

The Hifiman Susvara (Edition 6) was an unusual experience for me. On Saturday I auditioned them along with being told that the amp Hifiman recommend hadn't arrived in time; that's fine. It was paired with an EF-6 instead. I was told that Hifiman recommend a significantly powerful amplfier to drive this headphone and that the tonality is different between that amp and the EF-6... I do own a very powerful amplifier so I was more interested in whether the Susvara would play well on its own. Trying it out, it was less musical than the HE1000, more clarity, more detail retrieval, more analytical and with simblant recordings, you experienced that. It presents quite a large landscape, wide and deep. For the detail retrieval alone, I could see the appeal but it's difficult for a baseline comparison when not familiar with the amplifier.
So my amplifier weighs as much as a small child, no chance of bringing that along so instead on Sunday I came back along with the Abyss AB-1266 I use with my amp, so I could work out how much the EF-6 was adding or not. The Abyss has the ability to be a punishing headphone and it took me a while to find an amplifier I felt matched well; I personally use a Wells Audio Headtrip amplifier. Even so, side by side the Susvara is even more punishing, it will destroy poor recordings. Soundstage of both headphones are quite similar, tonally the Susvara is far brighter. Detail retrieval is similar as are the extension. Mids of the Susvara are relatively thin but forward in comparison but the massive difference is in the low frequency response and it's this which I like so much from the Abyss. The Susvara just doesn't have that, it lacked some soul and I simply don't see another amp changing that because the EF-6 into the Abyss had quite a robust bass response. The only way a recommended amp will rectify this is if it is only tuned for the Susvara... and ultimately if you're going to spend that much then there are other options which can be considered as a complete package.

OTHER THINGS:
The only other IEM (to the Audeze LCD-i4) I considered was the 64 Audio Tia Forte. Driven by a Lotoo Paw Gold the first thing which struck me was the low frequency response. It is a chunky monkey! Very deep very sweet... for me it might be a bit too much of a good thing. This provides a robust foundation and compliments the also rich mids. Vocals were very sweet, emotional then some quite nice detail at the top. They sounded quite wide for an IEM and had excellent layering capabilities... but that bass is palpable and I found them slightly slow in this region, adding a little too much decay for kick drums or double-bass... slightly unnatural.
So out of curiosity I compared it to the JH Audio Layla I... which I personally enjoy for its hefty low frequency response but, again, its superb soundstage... my dials are in the 12 O'Clock position although admitedly, I don't usually pair it with my LPG. What struck me was that actually the bass response is very similar between the two, in terms of quantity, quality and depth. The difference is that the Tia has much more clarity and air and so the bass seems (or is, in relative terms) more emphasized and in that respect it didn't quite meld the bass and the upper frequencies... almost like a slightly out-of-phase crossover. Mids on the Tia are slightly more forward and less thick and the high frequency response similar but far more discernable due to the clarity. Tonally these aren't so similar as my description may make; The Layla can seem ever so slightly V-Shaped while the Tia is relatively flat until the lower frequencies where these are clearly emphasized. Clarity on the Tia is apparent though, however I could have played with the pots on the Layla to change things a little.
Overall I enjoyed the sound of the Tia (despite its disembodied bass) however it isn't flat and did not impress me as much as the Audeze LCD-i4.

I've got a pre-order for the Smyth Research Realiser A16 and so was booked in to get my measurements done but also have an audition.
OK, this is one product which genuinely wowed me enough to illicit a completely unconcious but very vocal response from myself. I've tried a lot of headphone surround systems... some work better than others but nothing which could make me forget I had headphones on. The A16 demo I tried was modelling a Dolby Atmos 16 speaker setup. In the room was such a system made by Yamaha.
Now I can describe the experience and you can even watch reaction videos on YouTube however it is quite something else to experience this system in person. Setup, you initially look at the speakers which sound is supposed to come from (face forward, turn left, turn right) to set up the head tracking. Immediately after this tones are then played through the headphones to simulate which speakers the sound should come from and right then it took me a good few seconds for my brain to adjust to the fact I was listening to headphones, not the speakers... it is so similar if I'd been told I was listening to the speakers, I'd have believed it. At some point the gentleman taking my measurements told me that 'this frequency is for the rear speaker, 130 degrees behind and above you'. Without looking I was able to point to where I thought the speaker should be to make that sound and low and behold, when I took the headphones of an looked up, that is exactly where they were.
Moving onto the actual demo experience and putting this all together is one of the most emmersive audio experiences I've had. The panning is so accurate, the positioning so spot on, this was a Dolby Atmos setup in headphone format... it is staggering. You can look around, look up (as I did with a rain storm demo) and the tracking and directional sound were spot on. This system genuinely is the Occulus Rift of the audio world. In fact it's the one thing I'd love to see is the A16 paired with a VR headset for a truly emmersive experience.
Hats off... That is some seriously impressive work!

And finally a note on passion and pride.
I mentioned some slightly... unpleasant (for want of a better word) conversations I had with three manufacturers. What this specifically was, were their opinions about competitor's products and their speculation about the reasoning for these products being developed and their price points.
There is one example of a product present at Canjam which is being ripped off by another manufacturer (who was not there). I can completely understand the frustration about this and I completely empathise; this should not happen as it undermines years of research, development and hard work to be innovative.
On the other hand speculating about products which have nothing to do with someone's release and are brought into an open market is something else entirely. It may be that things are brought out to compete but in a lot of ways it's this healthy competition which has led to evolutions in audio, especially in the last 10 years. Everyone can express their opinion but if I were a manufacturer I feel I would prefer to speak about my own product and let its performance speak for itself. Ultimately as a customer I am going to vote with my wallet based on what I like, not what I am told to like. This is not something I've ever experienced in my many years involved with audio.

Clearly I didn't speak to everyone at the show but there were a few standout people I very much enjoyed meeting. Steven Smyth of Smyth Research and his son James Smyth are passionate about what they do, and that passion oozes through when you speak to them. It's important; if you're proud about who you are... who your brand is, for me that resonates deeply in a product. At the cutting edge it adds something invaluable to just becoming a mere technical exercise and pushing boundaries and for me forms a significant part of why I invest into certain products.

Likewise I was very touched with the response I received when I met Valentine Kazanzhi of Kennerton Audio. I was one of the first people to own the Kennerton Odin in The UK and it's a headphone I very much like despite its initial shortcomings. Since then the team in St Petersburg not only changed my drivers for the newer version, polished my wood cups but custom made a more suitable headstrap. To briefly describe its presentation it is a balanced sounding headphone but not at all analytical; instrumental accuracy is excellent, bass response palpable while possibly not reaching to the lowest subbass capabilities of some others. Rich full mids and a nice sparkle on top. The soundstage isn't huge, but it's above average however clarity is excellent. It is also a relatively easy headphone to drive as well and does well out of a very good DAP so you're not tethered to a desktop. I love these headphones with classical music where their weighty but clear presentation and instrumental accuracy is presented in an excellent manner.
Touching down with Valentine and explaining I owned a pair of his Odin he warmly shook my hand and humbly thanked me for purchasing his product. He told me about the options which would be available in the future for earcup wood, finishes, customisation but also explained that as an owner (as with all Kennerton owners) if there were upgrades or changes one would wish, they would and could accomodate and arrange if contacted directly. Again, great pride, great passion.
It's a shame the Odin doesn't have more exposure than it does, it's still a relatively difficult headphone to source but it is one which should be strongly considered in a collection and I do hope Kennerton get the exposure and recognition they deserve.

I also had to touch down with Focal about an issue I have with my Focal Utopia headphones. I spoke to Focal's designer and then SCV Distribution about my issue and while these issues are usually referred back through the dealers components are ordered from, Andrew Stirling of SCV Distribution very kindly offered me a contact within SCV to deal with this swiftly and efficiently. He kindly explained some of the processes involved in the manufacturer of the Utopia, and the tight tolerences these are made with. I appreciate that kind of service a lot.

I was also greatly humbled to have met Hiroaki Sato and Sato Tomoaki of Sony (I apologise if I have their names wrong) and having the opportunity to thank them for their work on the Sony WM1Z player, MDR-Z1R headphones and TA-ZH1ES DAC/Amp; a combination I very much enjoy. I believe Hiroaki Sato worked on the MDR-R10. My one big regret from the whole show is that I didn't ask them to sign my WM1Z.

Overall it was, as the previous 2 London Canjam years, a great experience, a lot of work by Head-fi, the exhibitors and great, passionate people to meet... I thank you for your hard work organising this. Though I would have liked to have seen a return of Cavalli Audio at the show, the presence of Woo Audio (maybe one day) and the Abyss AB-1266 Phi for comparison, still an amazing myriad of cutting edge audio from many great companies.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #71 of 147
The Chord Blu 2 is one of the main reasons I went to Canjam... I only had a very short list of things I wanted to listen to and for the most part there's very little which ended up being added to my shopping list this year... relatively speaking, that is. I am grateful for this.

Anyhow, for a variety of reasons... mainly trains, I only had the briefest of moments with the Blu 2 but nevertheless I did get a chance to the do the only thing I was interested in, which was to see what the upscaling capabilities are. Due to the brevity of my audition, I've been hesitant to post... given my brief impressions but nevertheless:

It was right at the end of the day while Chord was shutting shop... so quite rushed. I very briefly spoke to Rob Watts about the Blu 2 and what the intentions were with the designs. He very kindly allowed me to listen to the Blu 2 and explained its capabilities. He is a very passionate guy and something of a workaholic... and it shows. It's always a pleasure touching down with him as well as John Franks (who wasn't present) and the Chord team... great guys.
Literally one song which was Adele's Rolling in the Deep; set up was Macbook (I think) USB>Blu 2>Dave>Audeze LCD-4.

I asked for the setup to be the standard output first then switched to upscaled mode. Looking at the input on the Chord Dave, initially the Sampling Frequency was 44.1kHz... I could not see what Rob changed on the Blu 2 but the upscaling was done via switching I believe. The sampling frequency showed an increase to 768kHz on The Dave. Switching took about 10 seconds to cycle through from standard to the highest available setting.
Ignoring the fact I'm not so familiar with the LCD-4 v2 (I owned the v1 before the driver changes but returned it)... and considering there was significant noise from exhibitors packing and taking down stands, nevertheless the difference is immediately apparent;
As expected, tonality remained the same as did the soundstage; width and height, however dynamics were immediately increased. The expansive soundstage was immediately filled with a fuller presentation, significantly richer and layering became noticeable, notes weightier and more detailed... almost to the extent that it seemed like a DSP had been turned on. Nothing digital or unnatural here though... The deep bass drum at the beginning of Rolling on Deep had more weight and texture, this also made Adele's foot on the piano pedals more apparent. Mids/vocals were immediately richer, more emotive. Overall the sound presentation just became incredibly rich and palpable. In my opinion, the LCD-4s in are a relatively forgiving headphone which is further compounded by a loud environment, so specifically at the higher frquencies with other headphones, I've no doubt there would have been other things to notice with more complex music. It's possible that more micro detail may become more noticeable but I don't think it's going to bring out anything which is completely hidden in recordings, I think what it can do is make micro detail more discernable and the existing presentation fuller and richer.

I want to try bringing my own CD source for a comparison next time I might audition; not being skeptical as such but just scientific about what the difference is with the Blu II vs a standard CD output. In terms of what I experienced, we're not talking about a small increase in performance, it is quite a significant difference and immediately apparent. As an owner of the Chord Dave I do believe the Blu II is pretty much a must for what it seems to be able to bring to the table. The upscaling abilities are so immediate it is pretty staggering and far more evident than the subtle changes I was expecting. It is similar to what you experience comparing a FLAC to a DSD recording of the same song... which is exactly the aim of the Blu II's upscaling capabilities.

One thing to note is that the initial Blu II design was going to only have upscaling capabilities of the CD transport however the scope of this was increased to include the USB... this is a key feature which I'm surprised was not included in the original scope for the Blu II... though I'm sure it also meant quite a few challenges to overcome.

Another thing was that I (think I) noticed the sampling frequency display 4 different sampling rates... at least I'm pretty sure I did, as I was also jabbering at the same time however I the specifications for the Blu II state that there are 3 sampling frequencies which can be selected. Whether that means 3 additional sampling frequencies on top of the standard sampling rate, I'm not sure but if there is a difference in the production model, that will likely be down to the one at Chord's desk being the first prototype model... or my not paying proper attention.

Overall, colour me impressed. Beautiful work indeed. In the shopping basket that goes!

Mm...much appreciated. Beautiful review and it confirms my impression of the Chord Dave + Blu Mk 2 during CanJam Singapore 2017 (last March) although the headphones being driven that time was the Audeze LCD XC. I wonder what an open-backed headphones like the Utopia would sound like. Yes, I've ordered as well a couple of weeks ago (eta in a couple of months). Can't wait.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #72 of 147
Impressions from Canjam 2017

ELECTROSTATS:

The Stax SR-009 is a headphone I previously owned powered by the KGSSHV and while I did like that combo, I never got used to its slightly ethereal, floating presentation. It's been a while since I had that and for the most part I've not thought about it too much. Out of curiosity I tried the same headphone powered by the BHSE and that is quite a pairing. Everything is more planted, notes are rich and fuller but the speed and air that a good electrostat system should have are retained. It's made me reconsider the SR-009 again as I very much enjoyed this setup and it surprised me.

While I was upstairs I didn't know that the Sonoma Acoustics room was a walk in room. Out of curiosity I tried out their Model One. There was another manufacturer I spoke to prior to visiting that room and I have to say they were quite disparaging about Sonoma... In fact this was one of three slightly unpleasant conversations I had with manufacturers about competitors... but I'll leave those politics to the side for now.
The headphones themselves I don't mind the look of. They remind me of the HE1 headphone in terms of look. A lot of people complain about the weight of larger headphones and there is no such problem here, these way around 300g, so very comfortable however I also felt it made them feel cheaper in the hands than they should do. They are very large drivers which easily sit on the head and cover the ears.
The difficulty here was most of the music selection on offer is not what I listen to and finding something to A-B to what I had with me was difficult. The source was running DSD and I only had FLAC on my setup...
Tonally these are quite weighty sounding, significant low frequency response. Mids are also thick but slightly recessed and the highs I found a little rolled off. These did not sound like what I expected an electrostat to sound like and they were a little slower. Volume wise, I was probably a little past the 12 O'clock mark for comfortable listening so I didn't find it too underpowered as others did. The sound is pretty open, not huge and there were some layering capabilities but nothing like the higher end Stax setups.
I compared this to the Lotoo Paw Gold>KSE1500 with the few songs I could find a match for. Yes, not the same thing at all but it's a reference point. Immediately it was apparent that the detail retrieval of the KSE1500 is far more capable than the Model One. Soundstage noticeably wider, presentation faster. The soundstage of the model one seemed slightly deeper. Mids are not recessed on the KSE1500 and highs are far more present. The mid bass response of the Model one is far more emphasized than it's subbass response and the KSE1500 simply reaches far lower. Overall the KSE1500 demonstrated some limitations of the Model one, mainly in terms of clarity, soundstage and detail retrieval. The KSE1500 is more natural sounding, more instrumentally accurate but also flatter.
Nevertheless if price is taken into consideration I sincerely feel that the Model One is relatively good value despite all the above. You get the headphone and a decently matched amp and DAC section in quite a compact package. I'd seriously consider it as a good introduction to Electrostatic systems and especially for someone who does not necessarily want the punishingly revealing presentation of some other electrostats.
It is a comfortable lounge listening setup both in terms of comfort and listening style.

Sennheiser HE1; Actually this isn't in reference to an audition to this year's Canjam but last years. I mention this here for a couple of reasons because I notice someone said that they couldn't try their own source. Last year, I was allowed to request this and I used a modest Questyle QP1r playing FLAC feeding via digital optical and had the opportunity to try around 20 tracks... and in that respect if users were not allowed to try their own sources at this year's Canjam, I think that is a crying shame.
I think I am the only person who thinks the HE1 doesn't sound natural... there is so much weight in the low frequency response that the headphones vibrate on the ears. Immense clarity, air and instrumental separation with a huge weighty foundation. It's a very full frequency assault on the ears, very visceral, very musical. I like that type of presentation but it's not what I think of as completely natural. It does sound so immense it's like a set of floorstanding speakers but I don't think I could close my eyes and imagine myself in a concert hall unless it was a venue with very unusual acoustics.
Soundstage is not the widest and certainly the HD800 and Abyss AB-1266 is wider... possibly on a par with the HE1000 V2. Slightly above the average for flagship open headphones, I'd say. It's that clarity plus weight though... incredible. This does not sound like an electrostatic presentation, it sounds like a hybrid... which it is.
I originally came away wanting to place an order for those last year and so contacted Sennheiser on the basis that the advertised price was, at the time, £35k. For that, I could live with the couple of unusual niggles I had with it; mainly the choice of DAC... which is well implemented but could have been a better choice (in my opinion) but also whatever amplifiers sit in the headphones, requires cooling fins; it was the end of the day and I could easily notice the warmth from the fins on my ears.
Forward a couple of months and I was assigned a concierge, had some discussions, registered my interest and they came back to me to say that the price excluded VAT, a few material changes and my final price would be £55k... that plus I was also quoted an additional £5k (I think) because I wanted it in black marble rather than white. Ultimately that killed my interest completely. It's not quite what I consider a no-compromise solution and £40k would be my limit for such a system given that I feel my very best desktop setup excels in certain areas when compared at just over half the price.

PLANARS:
The one thing I learned at the event is that I am a very low volume listener compared to the average person who was at the show and nearly every booth I visited, I needed to turn the volume down a good 20%.
I mention this because the one IEM which I do like and have a pre-order for is the Audeze LCD-i4. There was much talk about how much power this requires to drive it properly and also the gentleman at the booth said he considers it to sound almost identical to the LCD-4 headphone. The latter part of this I didn't find;
I used a Sony WM1z for my audition so bear in mind this already has a thick presentation. It is a Japanese model so not volume capped. For my usual listening levels, or as high as I like, standard output, volume was up to around the 100 mark and I didn't get the impression there was a lack of overhead power. The LCD-i4, as expected, is tremendously open sounding and quite capable of layering vertically. Rich sounding with a robust low frequency response, both in terms of quantity and quality. Mids are also thick, sweet sounding and then highs (5kHz+) were probably not quite as emphasized... now some of this may well come down to the WM1z's presentation but unfortunately I did not bring any other DAPs to try... different day, different things I could fit in my bag.
Is it a baby LCD-4? I don't think so... it shares the same (again my opinion) forgiving, polite presentation the LCD-4 has, similar detail retrieval but to my ears I found the low frequency response and mids to be noticeably thicker. I suspect similar to how the KSE1500 has an unusually weighty presentation in the low frequencies compared to most electrostatic headphones due to the effect of minturisation and the interaction with ear canals it is a similar effect comparing the i4 to it's headphone brother. Nevertheless it has a far more headphone like, open and layered presentation than most IEMs I've experienced and of everything I've been in contact with the only thing I would compare to this particular part of its presentation is the (unfortunately) no longer available Final Audio Design Lab II... which I regret not purchasing earlier in the year despite my misgivings about its lack of subbass response.
Nevertheless the LCD-i4's has a presentation I very much like and I look forward to receiving this whenever the next batch arrives in The UK.

Heading over to Hifiman I was able to get the answer to a couple of questions I've had with their products. I was able to A-B my HE1000 v1 to the v2. My understanding is that the drivers are the same and the main changes are down to some material changes such as the earcup. The wood around the cup is thicker on the V2 compared to the V1.
I did not experience the staggering differences that others have described, I felt the differences were more subtle. To my ears the soundstage of the V1 is slightly wider than the V2 and in that respect it's very similar to the difference I experienced between the Sennheiser HD800 and HD800s (I found the HD800s to be ever so slightly narrower)... it's the reason I didn't upgrade my HD800 and for the most part why I'm not so interested in the HE1000 V2. The most significant difference was the presentation of the mids, which on the V2 are slightly more forward... there is a little more clarity, more high frequency detail and air but not so much that I'd have been able to tell if I didn't have the two headphones side by side. Overall careful pairing of the V1 with an amplifier (in my case the Auralic Taurus MkII) and cables manages to overcome the relative weaknesses of the V1 enough that I couldn't justify the cost of the return and upgrade offer Hifiman have. In that respect if I were in the market for the HE1000, I'd strongly consider sourcing a used V1 and putting the difference in price towards some well matched sources and cable.

The Hifiman Susvara (Edition 6) was an unusual experience for me. On Saturday I auditioned them along with being told that the amp Hifiman recommend hadn't arrived in time; that's fine. It was paired with an EF-6 instead. I was told that Hifiman recommend a significantly powerful amplfier to drive this headphone and that the tonality is different between that amp and the EF-6... I do own a very powerful amplifier so I was more interested in whether the Susvara would play well on its own. Trying it out, it was less musical than the HE1000, more clarity, more detail retrieval, more analytical and with simblant recordings, you experienced that. It presents quite a large landscape, wide and deep. For the detail retrieval alone, I could see the appeal but it's difficult for a baseline comparison when not familiar with the amplifier.
So my amplifier weighs as much as a small child, no chance of bringing that along so instead on Sunday I came back along with the Abyss AB-1266 I use with my amp, so I could work out how much the EF-6 was adding or not. The Abyss has the ability to be a punishing headphone and it took me a while to find an amplifier I felt matched well; I personally use a Wells Audio Headtrip amplifier. Even so, side by side the Susvara is even more punishing, it will destroy poor recordings. Soundstage of both headphones are quite similar, tonally the Susvara is far brighter. Detail retrieval is similar as are the extension. Mids of the Susvara are relatively thin but forward in comparison but the massive difference is in the low frequency response and it's this which I like so much from the Abyss. The Susvara just doesn't have that, it lacked some soul and I simply don't see another amp changing that because the EF-6 into the Abyss had quite a robust bass response. The only way a recommended amp will rectify this is if it is only tuned for the Susvara... and ultimately if you're going to spend that much then there are other options which can be considered as a complete package.

OTHER THINGS:
The only other IEM (to the Audeze LCD-i4) I considered was the 64 Audio Tia Forte. Driven by a Lotoo Paw Gold the first thing which struck me was the low frequency response. It is a chunky monkey! Very deep very sweet... for me it might be a bit too much of a good thing. This provides a robust foundation and compliments the also rich mids. Vocals were very sweet, emotional then some quite nice detail at the top. They sounded quite wide for an IEM and had excellent layering capabilities... but that bass is palpable and I found them slightly slow in this region, adding a little too much decay for kick drums or double-bass... slightly unnatural.
So out of curiosity I compared it to the JH Audio Layla I... which I personally enjoy for its hefty low frequency response but, again, its superb soundstage... my dials are in the 12 O'Clock position although admitedly, I don't usually pair it with my LPG. What struck me was that actually the bass response is very similar between the two, in terms of quantity, quality and depth. The difference is that the Tia has much more clarity and air and so the bass seems (or is, in relative terms) more emphasized and in that respect it didn't quite meld the bass and the upper frequencies... almost like a slightly out-of-phase crossover. Mids on the Tia are slightly more forward and less thick and the high frequency response similar but far more discernable due to the clarity. Tonally these aren't so similar as my description may make; The Layla can seem ever so slightly V-Shaped while the Tia is relatively flat until the lower frequencies where these are clearly emphasized. Clarity on the Tia is apparent though, however I could have played with the pots on the Layla to change things a little.
Overall I enjoyed the sound of the Tia (despite its disembodied bass) however it isn't flat and did not impress me as much as the Audeze LCD-i4.

I've got a pre-order for the Smyth Research Realiser A16 and so was booked in to get my measurements done but also have an audition.
OK, this is one product which genuinely wowed me enough to illicit a completely unconcious but very vocal response from myself. I've tried a lot of headphone surround systems... some work better than others but nothing which could make me forget I had headphones on. The A16 demo I tried was modelling a Dolby Atmos 16 speaker setup. In the room was such a system made by Yamaha.
Now I can describe the experience and you can even watch reaction videos on YouTube however it is quite something else to experience this system in person. Setup, you initially look at the speakers which sound is supposed to come from (face forward, turn left, turn right) to set up the head tracking. Immediately after this tones are then played through the headphones to simulate which speakers the sound should come from and right then it took me a good few seconds for my brain to adjust to the fact I was listening to headphones, not the speakers... it is so similar if I'd been told I was listening to the speakers, I'd have believed it. At some point the gentleman taking my measurements told me that 'this frequency is for the rear speaker, 130 degrees behind and above you'. Without looking I was able to point to where I thought the speaker should be to make that sound and low and behold, when I took the headphones of an looked up, that is exactly where they were.
Moving onto the actual demo experience and putting this all together is one of the most emmersive audio experiences I've had. The panning is so accurate, the positioning so spot on, this was a Dolby Atmos setup in headphone format... it is staggering. You can look around, look up (as I did with a rain storm demo) and the tracking and directional sound were spot on. This system genuinely is the Occulus Rift of the audio world. In fact it's the one thing I'd love to see is the A16 paired with a VR headset for a truly emmersive experience.
Hats off... That is some seriously impressive work!

And finally a note on passion and pride.
I mentioned some slightly... unpleasant (for want of a better word) conversations I had with three manufacturers. What this specifically was, were their opinions about competitor's products and their speculation about the reasoning for these products being developed and their price points.
There is one example of a product present at Canjam which is being ripped off by another manufacturer (who was not there). I can completely understand the frustration about this and I completely empathise; this should not happen.
On the other hand speculating about products which have nothing to do with someone's release and are brought into an open market is something else entirely. It may be that things are brought out to compete but in a lot of ways it's this healthy competition which has led to evolutions in audio, especially in the last 10 years. Everyone can express their opinion but if I were a manufacturer I feel I would prefer to speak about my own product and let its performance speak for itself. Ultimately as a customer I am going to vote with my wallet based on what I like, not what I am told to like. This is not something I've ever experienced in my many years involved with audio.

Clearly I didn't speak to everyone at the show but there were a few standout people I very much enjoyed meeting. Steven Smyth of Smyth Research and his son are passionate about what they do, and that passion oozes through when you speak to them. It's important; if you're proud about who you are... who your brand is, for me that resonates deeply in a product. At the cutting edge it adds something invaluable to just becoming a mere technical exercise and pushing boundaries and for me forms a significant part of why I invest into certain products.

Likewise I was very touched with the response I received when I met Valentine Kazanzhi of Kennerton Audio. I was one of the first people to own the Kennerton Odin in The UK and it's a headphone I very much like despite its initial shortcomings. Since then the team in St Pettersburg not only changed my drivers for the newer version, polished my wood cups but custom made a more suitable headstrap. To briefly describe its presentation it is a balanced sounding headphone but not at all analytical; instrumental accuracy is excellent, bass response palpable while possibly not reaching to the lowest subbass capabilities of some others. Rich full mids and a nice sparkle on top. The soundstage isn't huge, but it's above average however clarity is excellent. It is also a relatively easy headphone to drive as well and does well out of a very good DAP so you're not tethered to a desktop. I love these headphones with classical music where their weighty but clear presentation and instrumental accuracy is presented in an excellent manner.
Touching down with Valentine and explaining I owned a pair of his Odin he warmly shook my hand and humbly thanked me for purchasing his product. He told me about the options which would be available in the future for earcup wood, finishes, customisation but also explained that as an owner (as with all Kennerton owners) if there were upgrades or changes one would wish, they would and could accomodate and arrange if contacted directly. Again, great pride, great passion.
It's a shame the Odin doesn't have as much exposure as it does, it's still a relatively difficult headphone to source but it is one which should be strongly considered in a collection and I do hope Kennerton get the exposure and recognition they deserve.

I also had to touch down with Focal about an issue I have with my Focal Utopia headphones. I spoke to Focal's designer and then SCV Distribution about my issue and while these issues are usually referred back through the dealers components are ordered from, Andrew Stirling of SCV Distribution very kindly offered me a contact within SCV to deal with this swiftly and efficiently. He kindly explained some of the processes involved in the manufacturer of the Utopia, and the tight tolerences these are made with. I appreciate that kind of service a lot.

I was also greatly humbled to have met Hiroaki Sato and Sato Tomoaki of Sony (I apologise if I have their names wrong) and having the opportunity to thank them for their work on the Sony WM1Z player, MDR-Z1R headphones and TA-ZH1ES DAC/Amp; a combination I very much enjoy. I believe Hiroaki Sato worked on the MDR-R10. My one big regret from the whole show is that I didn't ask them to sign my WM1Z.

Overall it was, as the previous 2 London Canjam years, a great experience, a lot of work by Head-fi, the exhibitors and great, passionate people to meet... I thank you for your hard work organising this. Though I would have liked to have seen a return of Cavalli Audio at the show, the presence of Woo Audio (maybe one day) and the Abyss AB-1266 Phi for comparison, still an amazing myriad of cutting edge audio from many great companies.
Thank you.

Mm....very nice review although I wonder why you posted in spoiler format! Painful to read (text against gray background). Re: HE 1, I think it is a fair review although I would vigorously disagree that the music sounds unnatural. I think quite the opposite. Source does matter, based on my tests of my unit. Best so far is not USB/PC laptop but coax/Cocktail Audio X40 networked player. I have not tried the optical connection yet, as you have tested (with the QP1R).

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #73 of 147
Hello, just curious on the sound of KSE1500, I own once the Se846 and i don't like the very forward vocal of it, The KSE1500 also has a forward vocals. Thanks.

All I can say is that the KSE1500 is the only IEM that succeed to excell in micro-details without loosing musicality and sweetness. it succeed in reaching this contradictory situation. With the KSE1500, my A&K SP1000 that sounded (to my taste) a little lean suddently sound... perfect. It is a detail monster and a very relaxing sweety at the same time...

Jul 17, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #74 of 147
Mm....very nice review although I wonder why you posted in spoiler format! Painful to read (text against gray background). Re: HE 1, I think it is a fair review although I would vigorously disagree that the music sounds unnatural. I think quite the opposite. Source does matter, based on my tests of my unit. Best so far is not USB/PC laptop but coax/Cocktail Audio X40 networked player. I have not tried the optical connection yet.

Thank you Raypin and I do apologise for using 'spoiler' format. It's because I realised my post was going to be very long and I didn't want to clutter the thread for those viewing on mobile devices.
I only noticed the grey background after I'd posted but I'll take a look again in a few hours and see if I can edit it to make it more readable. I don't have much online presence so my knowledge of posting formats is pretty limited.

HE1: No, what you've said is completely valid and I agree. The source of a QP1r via optical isn't the best and that should be taken into consideration in what I've said. My main reason, last year, for not using what was provided by Sennheiser, was because the choice was either vinyl (which is absolutely fine) or a Macbook... and this felt like too big a compromise on a no compromise system. I'd agree with you about coax or good network player and in that respect it's quite possible/likely that the sound presentation would be different.
If I'm honest though, despite my feelings of it sounding slightly unnatural (the way I heard it setup) with that low frequency response (though I do have a preference for that presentation) and even if it were more natural sounding, I still couldn't justify the final price I was eventually quoted to purchase it and I know that the cooling fins on the earcups would bother me after a long listening session.

Nevertheless I would be lying if I said I didn't feel ever so slightly green of your setup.
Taking the music production to one side, it is undoubtedly a work of art... and looking at the white slab of marble it sits on, I couldn't help but be reminded of the slab at the base of Michelangelo's David.

Jul 17, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #75 of 147
I can't say I was as impressed by much this year, having already had my fill at least year's show with anything and everything blowing my mind - which did seem a little more content packed. Although, there were two standouts for me. One, being the ZMF Eikon at the Feliks Audio stand. I have always had a thing for closed backs, and this is by far the finest pair I have ever tried. For me, it easily outshone every open and closed back offering available. From Audeze, to Sennheiser and MrSpeakers. Second, the rather unknown Stereo Pravda SB-7. An absolute engineering marvel. A true revelation in the IEM market. It was as if I was re-listening to songs I have heard a thousand times over. A gold standard product, one that I hope will catch fire; and the attention it deserves. I will definitely do my best to get a hold of a pair. Another great weekend.

I look forward to seeing you all again next year. Having exhibitors recognise me was a pleasant surprise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back