CanJam Chicago 2023 (June 24-25, 2023)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 20, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #211 of 270
Oh wow, that’s very enthusiast friendly. I never got to try HE1 with another dac because connecting anything to HE1 was not allowed (local dealer that has since gone out of business). Someone connect some high-end dac to HE1 and post some experience.

at CanJam NYC eariler this year, Sennheriser was very good about letting me plug my AK player (with my interconect cable) to the HE1

Jun 20, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #212 of 270
I can highly recommend a listen to the T10 Bespoke by EAR Micro. Living with it for the last six months has been fabulous.

T10 Bespoke review

Jun 20, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #213 of 270
Mimic Audio is a final dealer, and the ZE8000 was a huge hit at CanJam Singapore so I wanted to make sure folks knew it'll be at Mimic's exhibit in Chicago. :D I have to try that D8000 Pro because I love the sound of the original D8000. And like I said in the video, the ZE3000 is more my speed when it comes to true-wireless sound signatures - though it lacks almost all "smart" functionality if someone needs that - so if the 8K doesn't click with someone, they should give the 3K a listen.

Hi AC,

Good job on the video for Chicago!

Thank you for your reply about Mimic.
The ZE8000 is a revelatory release, in my humble opinion, in that it replicates the same dopamine release as my flagship IEM collection, something I never would have expected from a $350 wireless set. Regarding the D8000/Pro, I did a comparison review a few years ago between the two and I preferred the overall tonality of the D8000 over the Pro. The pro has the advantage of 4-5dB of headroom over D8000 in regards to the drivers hitting the magnets, but as you likely know, they changed the tuning to bring the Mid-range more to the fore to aid with the improved dynamics, and the character was a bit too forward for my ears. The D8000 had this beautiful tuning that I loved.

I did write a review on the ZE3000 when it was released, and I concur, it’s a great listen, so I understand why you’re smitten.

Anyway, you have a great time in Chicago, you’re certainly going to eat well. 😁

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #214 of 270
We will be showing our un-named // un-released thousand dollar-ish closed back that I've been working on since 2019 at Canjam Chicago as it's finally at a place where we are closer to having the infrastructure as well as all parts designed and produced for them on hand.
I'm looking forward to the announcement of the names of those headphone and amp!

Jun 21, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #215 of 270
We will be showing our un-named // un-released thousand dollar-ish closed back that I've been working on since 2019 at Canjam Chicago as it's finally at a place where we are closer to having the infrastructure as well as all parts designed and produced for them on hand.

Some basic details and photo's:

• New Oval form factor with a new chassis design
  • Closed Back - Wood/Metal/Leather Build
  • 50mm N52 ZMF Designed Proprietary LCP (Liquid Crystal Polymer) Driver
  • 103 dB/mW - Can be driven by just about anything
  • Patent Pending Atrium Damping System
  • 1/8" Jack inputs
Things that are not final:
  • Stock Wood
  • Accessories and Case etc
  • Final Tuning
  • Final Pads
So I'm feeling good enough about them to take scrutiny, and usually I wouldn't open myself up to critique like this, but - I'd like to get a general consensus on the headphones, and as such I've tuned them with my 711 coupler closer to the Harmon Curve than anything we've done (yes ofcourse I used our B/K 5128 extensively too). Through all my work, I have found that lower impedance drivers do sound better to my ear when tuned closer to the Harman, but I am a staunch believer that every driver needs to be tuned specifically to it's own properties to sound best regardless of listener preference or driver characteristics.

I am mainly considering tuning in a touch more mid-bass, but, I want to see how everyone feels about it at Canjam!

So thanks in advance for listening to them - we will have three sets there.

---

Secondly we will also have the also Un-named final prototypes of the ZMF x JDS Labs amp, and will have the amazing company of JDSLabs' own John Seaber in the room with us on saturday. Quick details of that guy are:

• Quad Balanced to Single Ended Design
  • XLR and 4.4 mm out
  • VU Meter
  • 1 and 47 ohm outs
  • 4 Watts (2W per channel)
EDIT: I should also mention, while we will have many beautiful ZMF's for sale, we are not producing either of the above for sale yet and these are all prototypes. The amp will be available likely within 1-2 months. Thew headphones are a late 2023 or early 2024 release expectation.
Image_20230620_145054_841.jpegImage_20230620_145054_691.jpeg_DSC9636.jpg_DSC9635.jpg_DSC9634.jpg_DSC9633.jpg_DSC9632.jpg_DSC9630.jpgPortable1_RMS_Harmon.jpg
Nice to see a new dynamic headphone using a different unique driver as far as zmfs go. Would love to eventually hear one.

About the jdslabs amp, will it have an entry level price? Jdslabs stuff is usually on the more affordable side. Looks really neat compared to their usual designs. Also will this be a straightforward solid state amp, or will it have a unique flavor? Lastly, was this amp made to compliment the new headphone?

Can't wait to read impressions about this one. Curious about Zach's take on the Harman curve.

Jun 21, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #216 of 270
Excited to join you guys, thanks for the mention!

tening to them - we will have three sets there.

---

Secondly we will also have the also Un-named final prototypes of the ZMF x JDS Labs amp, and will have the amazing company of JDSLabs' own John Seaber in the room with us on saturday. Quick details of that guy are:

• XLR and 4.4 mm out
  • VU Meter
  • 1 and 47 ohm outs
EDIT: I should also mention, while we will have many beautiful ZMF's for sale, we are not producing either of the above for sale yet and these are all prototypes. The amp will be available likely within 1-2 months. Thew headphones are a late 2023 or early 2024 release expectation.

Jun 21, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #217 of 270
1 and 47 ohm outs
I love it! Finally some solid state gear with higher output impedance. Super excited to hear it!

One potential for backlash is lacking a single ended jack. Doesn't bother me at all but I can see people saying "now I have to buy another cable".

Dude I swear you were put on this earth to bankrupt me! :) I know I'll buy both those shiny new toys...

What wood is this one? I LOVE it!!!

1687357435378.png

Jun 21, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #218 of 270

• 1/8" Jack inputs
  • Stock Wood
  • Final Tuning
  • Final Pads
So I'm feeling good enough about them to take scrutiny, and usually I wouldn't open myself up to critique like this, but - I'd like to get a general consensus on the headphones, and as such I've tuned them with my 711 coupler closer to the Harmon Curve than anything we've done (yes ofcourse I used our B/K 5128 extensively too). Through all my work, I have found that lower impedance drivers do sound better to my ear when tuned closer to the Harman, but I am a staunch believer that every driver needs to be tuned specifically to it's own properties to sound best regardless of listener preference or driver characteristics.

I am mainly considering tuning in a touch more mid-bass, but, I want to see how everyone feels about it at Canjam!

---

• XLR and 4.4 mm out
  • VU Meter
  • 1 and 47 ohm outs
Image_20230620_145054_841.jpegImage_20230620_145054_691.jpeg_DSC9636.jpg_DSC9635.jpg_DSC9634.jpg_DSC9633.jpg_DSC9632.jpg_DSC9630.jpgPortable1_RMS_Harmon.jpg
I’d love to know how it compares with Raidence and LCD-XC in the similar price point,

Jun 21, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #219 of 270

• 1/8" Jack inputs
  • Stock Wood
  • Final Tuning
  • Final Pads
So I'm feeling good enough about them to take scrutiny, and usually I wouldn't open myself up to critique like this, but - I'd like to get a general consensus on the headphones, and as such I've tuned them with my 711 coupler closer to the Harman Curve than anything we've done (yes ofcourse I used our B/K 5128 extensively too). Through all my work, I have found that lower impedance drivers do sound better to my ear when tuned closer to the Harman, but I am a staunch believer that every driver needs to be tuned specifically to it's own properties to sound best regardless of listener preference or driver characteristics.

---

• XLR and 4.4 mm out
  • VU Meter
  • 1 and 47 ohm outs
Wow. Beauties.

Jun 21, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #220 of 270
Nice to see a new dynamic headphone using a different unique driver as far as zmfs go. Would love to eventually hear one.

About the jdslabs amp, will it have an entry level price? Jdslabs stuff is usually on the more affordable side. Looks really neat compared to their usual designs. Also will this be a straightforward solid state amp, or will it have a unique flavor? Lastly, was this amp made to compliment the new headphone?

Can't wait to read impressions about this one. Curious about Zach's take on the Harman curve.
$999 - $1199 range is the target for the JDS x ZMF amp - same as for the portable headphones, all of that is still in the air and they may end up slightly higher depending on final costs/inflation etc.
I love it! Finally some solid state gear with higher output impedance. Super excited to hear it!

One potential for backlash is lacking a single ended jack. Doesn't bother me at all but I can see people saying "now I have to buy another cable".
Yeah - in the end I felt that having the 4.4 would be more useful for iems and such as I've seen a trend in that direction.
What wood is this one? I LOVE it!!!

1687357435378.png
It's a Bocote prototype! Had to try a hard wood.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 21, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #221 of 270
Jun 21, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #224 of 270
@Sennheiser is now allowing for pre-registration for SE-1 sessions
That's certainly a typo or will there be a new release called the SE-1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back