CanJam at RMAF Denver CO October 2,3,4
Oct 4, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #46 of 209
Price on the HE-5s, and pix?

Oct 4, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #49 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, it's statements like these from Harry Pearson at The Absolute Sound that makes me not want to go to shows like the RMAF where headphones are the red headed step child of High End Audio.

Stereophile: HP Speaks!

I attended an "Absolute Sound" meet the editor and that comment seemed out of line. Steve Stone made a comment regarding CanJam and attracting younger people and how it was attracting vendors for it. Most all the panelist agreed.

The new headphones from HeadDirect look very promising. They will need a lot of power to drive them. Probably in the K1000 range. I took them over to Ray's B-52 for a listen Ray need to switch driver tubes from the 12AU7 to the 12AX7 to get the extra power needed. I plan to take them over to the Woo Audio Balance today as this amp has a lot of output, even though tubed.

I listened to the JHPro13 in balance mode and they are fantastic. Jerry will be ordering his aviation cable to use for the balance cable. To me, they seemed to be in the same league as the highend phones. It has been very tempting as Jerry is running a show special for them along with the earmold impressions.

I have listened to electrostats for the first time at this meet. I seem to consistently not be pulled into the music with them. I find I prefer dynamic headphones. My wallet is very pleased with this.

I will have to say listening to the higher end headphone setups, they equaled or possibly even exceeded the setups in the RMAF rooms.

Oct 4, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #51 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beyerdynamic had the 770, 880, and 990 there in 250 and 600 ohms. My favorite of all of them were the 250 ohm DT880's. They are the most open and have the best soundstage, and have great bass. Their A1 amp that they had everything hooked to, honestly sounds like ass though. No offense, but I was not impressed with the A1 at all. I was very tempted by the DT880's, and they had show discounts on them. Willpower was required to walk away without buying them.

Could you talk a little about the sonic differences between the 250 and 600 ohm versions of all the cans, in particular the DT880?

Thanks,

Oct 4, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #52 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS: The Audeze LCD-2 are a noticeable upgrade from the LCD-1, and sound similar to what I recall the head-direct prototype RE5 ortho back in May. Fang at Head-direct says they have further upgraded the RE5 prototype since May CanJam in LA, so I look forward to trying the revised RE5 tomorrow.

I didn't know about the RE5, or I would have made it a priority to get over there and listen to it. I'm not making it back today, so I'll be anxious to hear your impressions.

BTW, the LCD-2 are a prototype as well. They told me when I listened to them "We just finished these on Thursday, and there may still be tweaks later". Which I heard as "these are Thursday's daily build. They aren't quite finished yet." So I expect that there will be an even better LCD-2 in the final release.

Quote:

Originally Posted by odigg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you talk a little about the sonic differences between the 250 and 600 ohm versions of all the cans, in particular the DT880?

Thanks,

I didn't spend a lot of time with them (about 1 song with each), but I do remember that the DT880-250 had the best soundstage out of any of them, and had good bass without being boomy. The DT880-600 was very similar, but to my ears was very slightly less airy with a touch less soundstage. It could have been their amp that was the difference though. Like I said, I wasn't impressed with the amp, and it might not have good synergy with the 600 ohm cans. I suspect that the 600's are every bit as good with the right amp as the 250's are with the right amp for them.

The DT770's sounded slightly lacking on the low end with a tighter soundstage (compared to the DT880's). I liked them better at the July meet, so it could have been the head-to-head comparison, or the amp. The DT990's had more bass than the 880's, but IMO it was boomy. It was kind of a 3 bears thing - too little, too much, just right. Personal opinion on my part though.

Again, take all of these impressions with a grain of salt because while trying to evaluate the headphones I was busy being not impressed with the amp. And I think the impedence difference 250 vs 600 is more a matter of amp synergy than "better/worse".

Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just want pics of girls. Thanks.

The JH Audio booth was staffed with girls, bordering on booth babes. I believe Jude took a group picture of them.
wink.gif

-------------------------

(Sorry for misidentifying the ZDT, and misnaming the K1000's. Makes me sound like a newb. Which compared to many of you I am.)

Oct 4, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #53 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Addict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new headphones from HeadDirect look very promising. They will need a lot of power to drive them. Probably in the K1000 range. I took them over to Ray's B-52 for a listen Ray need to switch driver tubes from the 12AU7 to the 12AX7 to get the extra power needed. I plan to take them over to the Woo Audio Balance today as this amp has a lot of output, even though tubed.

Yeah, they do indeed require a lot of power, more than the K1000 - I tried both on my amp, and the K1000 was fine but the Head-Direct 'phones got pretty distorted when I tried to get them loud the way I like it.

Oct 4, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #54 of 209
Can anyone find out what the impedance is on the headdirect ortho?

The natural impedane of the driver.

Casue at canjam the impedance of the driver was only 4 ohms and they had added a resistor in series so as not to kill the amps that were going to be used to drive them.

Curious to kow about this.

Oct 4, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #56 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone find out what the impedance is on the headdirect ortho?

The natural impedane of the driver.

Casue at canjam the impedance of the driver was only 4 ohms and they had added a resistor in series so as not to kill the amps that were going to be used to drive them.

Curious to kow about this.

much like the apogee in their day
biggrin.gif
..dB

Oct 5, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #59 of 209
I was glad I got to stop in for a few hours. I loved the headroom tables. It was nice getting to compare all the stock headphones with the balanced. I also spent some time comparing Sennheiser HD 448 and Denon 1001. I think both are going to be great competitors in the $100 -$150 price category.

The Beyerdynamic table was also a nice experience since I've always wanted to try the DT990. They even let me play with their Tesla 1s.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back