CanJam at RMAF Denver CO October 2,3,4
Oct 3, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #16 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, it's statements like these from Harry Pearson at The Absolute Sound that makes me not want to go to shows like the RMAF where headphones are the red headed step child of High End Audio.

Stereophile: HP Speaks!

I wholeheartedly agree with the statement...headphones to me are at best a stop gap, a second rig compared to a proper speaker setup.

Anyways, RMAF is like the best show this side of the world, amazing gear, wonderful people, fantastic atmosphere.

Wish I could be there... nonetheless i will explore RMAF this year through other people's lenses and words.

JP, steve, Sherwood..if possible, can you check out Serious Stereo and Emerald Physics and report back please Cheers!!
beerchug.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #18 of 209
thanks JP..others that perhaprs Sherwood might be interested is the Rethm loudspeakers from India. They are Lowther based horn speakers. Jacob George is the guy who owns it...nice man..worth a visit.

I see that True Sound works isn't at the show this year..they had the Apogee Divas last year.

The veloce audio class D amplifiers are worth checking out likewise for Bamberg Audio speakers.

And importantly, can you ask the those crazy Serbs at RAAL where they are with their true ribbon headphones
tongue.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #19 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jerry Harvey and company have a drop dead gorgeous booth two couches with a balanced rig to jam out to the JH13s, you have to hear the JH13s balanced they are scary good.

Pics please!
I'm sooo curious of how Jerry made a balanced cable for the JH13s.

Oct 3, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #21 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pics please!
I'm sooo curious of how Jerry made a balanced cable for the JH13s.

Its just a modified cable that his company uses, I wanted to sleep on the couch by that rig it was so good.

Oct 3, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #22 of 209
I'm at the Head-Direct table, wow the HE 5 planar headphones sound great. They were good at canjam but have taken a nice step forward. Detail and tone were strong points with them doing nothing wrong. I think once more people here them they will get popular.

The hifiman 801 was really great providing sound that rivals home sources in a small package.

Oct 3, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #23 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm at the Head-Direct table, wow the HE 5 planar headphones sound great. They were good at canjam but have taken a nice step forward. Detail and tone were strong points with them doing nothing wrong. I think once more people here them they will get popular.

The hifiman 801 was really great providing sound that rivals home sources in a small package.

a rare chance once again to compare the two planar headphones...is it possible to do a quick comparo between the head-direct and audeze. I know the legions of ortho fans are eager to know more...
atsmile.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #24 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wholeheartedly agree with the statement...headphones to me are at best a stop gap, a second rig compared to a proper speaker setup.

It's like telling people who love and prefer riding motorcycles that the only true way of enjoying riding on the road is in a car.

Oct 3, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #25 of 209
Quote:

It's like telling people who love and prefer riding motorcycles that the only true way of enjoying riding on the road is in a car.

not to derail the thread...its just one more consequence of a thing called subjectivity.

Whatever works for you is the best way to go. Not a ground breaking idea you know.

I am really curious as to whether the RAAL guys have gone ahead with their ribbon headphone though...

Oct 4, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #26 of 209
Well, this is a headphone forum.
rolleyes.gif

Anyways, anyone check out the Auraliti Digital Music Player? I'm curious as to what exactly it is. At first I thought it was a portable player, but now I'm thinking it's a dedicated source player.

Oct 4, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #27 of 209
Quote:

Well, this is a headphone forum.
rolleyes.gif

Quite so..

Also any impressions on the new stat amp, eXStatA from Cavalli Audio?

Oct 4, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #28 of 209
Greetings. I just got home from RMAF. Spent most of the day in the headphone room. I got to listen to darn near everything today. At the last meet I spent most of my time with IEM's. Today was mostly full size cans (with the exception of the JH5 and JH13).

Some highlights:

My favorite amp overall was the balanced EHHA. Just excellent. My favorite cans on the EHHA were balanced HD800's. The AKG K1000 earspeakers are excellent on the EHHA as well. It may possibly be the best amp for the K1000's period.

Another favorite rig was the Stax O2's on the Woo. Great synergy. I like O2's better than Lambda's, by a fair margin. That may be blasphemy. If so, apologies.

My favorite DAC was the Lavry DA11. Just a crazy amount of transparency and detail. I was skeptical of the difference between DACs, but the DA11 is very nice.

As far as manufacturer booths, I visited Beyerdynamic, Audeze, and JH Audio.

Beyerdynamic had the 770, 880, and 990 there in 250 and 600 ohms. My favorite of all of them were the 250 ohm DT880's. They are the most open and have the best soundstage, and have great bass. Their A1 amp that they had everything hooked to, honestly sounds like ass though. No offense, but I was not impressed with the A1 at all. I was very tempted by the DT880's, and they had show discounts on them. Willpower was required to walk away without buying them.

Audeze had their LCD1 and LCD2 orthodynamics there. Very impressive. They were using a Woo amp (EDIT: It was a ZDT, not a Woo. Aman and HPA corrected me below), which is great combination. I took my homemade 485 orthos over to have the designer of the LCD2's listen to them. He was quite impressed by their lack of suckage, and even made some recommendations regarding earcup mods. Wonderful people all around.

And last but not least, I listened to the JH5 and JH13 universal versions. Very very nice. I made it a point to listen to the JH5's first. They are quite good. The JH13's are excellent however. I listened once standing up at their booth, and then made a second trip back with my CTH amp in hand and asked if they'd let me listen through it. Jerry Harvey set my amp up next to their couch, fit the monitors into my ears, and I listened to 3 complete songs from Oceanlab. The JH13's are amazing. I'm probably telling you something you've already heard. But really, they are.

Quote:

Quite so..

Also any impressions on the new stat amp, eXStatA from Cavalli Audio?

Yes, I got to try the eXStatA (tube version) with Lamba LE's, O2's, and Sennheiser HE60's. It's very very good. The Woo had slightly better synergy with the O2's. It had a more balanced presentation, whereas the eXStatA brought the vocals forward just a touch. But the eXStatA was better than the Woo IMO with the HE60's and about equal with the Lambda's. With the O2's I'd say the eXStatA is about 95% of the Woo, and quite a bit less expensive. With Lambdas or HE60's I'd say the eXStatA is a no-brainer.

How is it with your Koss 950's?

Quote:

thanks JP..others that perhaprs Sherwood might be interested is the Rethm loudspeakers from India. They are Lowther based horn speakers. Jacob George is the guy who owns it...nice man..worth a visit.

I met Jacob George briefly. He's Aman's father. Nice guy. I didn't go hear his speakers, but Aman had an awesome headphone amp that Jacob built. It sounded great, and the workmanship was even more impressive. Hopefully someone will post a picture of it.

---------

As a side topic, there was a freak power outage today where the power to the whole neighborhood went off, including the stoplights. I'm hoping it was coincidence and not a side effect of RMAF
wink.gif
. Was a great opportunity to leave for lunch, though I had to go out of the neighborhood to find a restaurant with power. (Went to Sushi Club on Arapahoe. Good stuff.) When I got back everything was back on.

Overall, excellent show. Awesome gear and great people. Still another day for anyone that is in the area...

Oct 4, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #29 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audeze had their LCD1 and LCD2 orthodynamics there. Very impressive. They were using a Woo amp, which is great combination. I took my homemade 485 orthos over to have the designer of the LCD2's listen to them. He was quite impressed by their lack of suckage, and even made some recommendations regarding earcup mods. Wonderful people all around.

The LCD2 was awesome, especially for $650. I told Sankar and Alex that I'm in for a pair whenever they release their final production model. Outstanding punchy, deep and detailed bass without any real compromises in the midrange and treble, which are super detailed and silly fast (although the overall signature tends a little toward the dark side). I'll need to spend more time with them at some point, but once they're in hand I may sell off my K701s. On a side note, I actually think they were being driven by a ZDT, not a Woo (at least when I was there).

Other stuff that left an impression on me:
-The HD800 is, indeed, as good as they say (to my ears). Truly spectacular, I haven't heard anything like it. I can see how it's not necessarily to everyone's tastes (especially if you're a big fan of a "lusher" sound), but I finally got to sit and listen to them for an extended period of time and they blew me away. Sometime down the road...

-Tyler/Sherwood's Lambdas sounded terrific out of his setup. All the eletrostats were wonderful of course, including the couple of pairs of O2s, but I can't get over the sound quality coming out of a pair of headphones that can be had for $300 on the used market.

-The Ultrasone Ed. 8... sound brutally bad to my ears. Drew from Moon Audio had a plethora of headphones set up and I spent a little time listening to them through a Cary tube amp, and they really didn't sound good to me at all. I know some folks love these headphones, but I just don't see it. Give me my $200 Shure SRH840 anyday.

-The PS1000s at Drew's table sounded great - first Grados I've heard and loved (although I've never heard any of the high-end classics, PS-1 HP-1 etc.)

-Fang's headphones are killer. One of the smoothest sounds I've heard, and particularly impressive given that it was being driven by a (relatively) modest HiFiMan -> EF1 setup. The HiFiMan DAP is an awesome product - a little on the big side, but truly remarkable in how versatile it is as a catch-all audio component that can produce terrific sound. All this goes to prove that Fang is a true innovator that we're lucky to have in the headphone community. The willingness by him and the Audez'e folks to go out on a limb and come up with really interesting and seriously good products is extremely impressive to me.

-Last, and most, I was thrilled to get to meet so many of you in person. This was my first big Head-Fi meet, and it was a real treat to spend time with you wonderful folks. I can't thank Jude and John enough for putting together such a great event and being wonderful and gracious hosts the whole weekend. I'm sad to leave and get back to the real world, but I look forward to doing this again in Chicago next year - I'll bring the copper cups.

Oct 4, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #30 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The LCD2 was awesome, especially for $650. I told Sankar and Alex that I'm in for a pair whenever they release their final production model. Outstanding punchy, deep and detailed bass without any real compromises in the midrange and treble, which are super detailed and silly fast (although the overall signature tends a little toward the dark side). I'll need to spend more time with them at some point, but once they're in hand I may sell off my K701s. On a side note, I actually think they were being driven by a ZDT, not a Woo (at least when I was there).

You're right. It was a ZDT. I got confused because the Woo and ZDT both have big tubes coming out the top. I concur that the LCD2's were awesome. It's nice to see a company putting high end development into orthos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back