CanJam at RMAF Denver CO October 2,3,4
Oct 13, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #196 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Unfortunately, and for whatever reason, there were not too many local Colorado Head-Fiers in attendance, which was disappointing. A big kudos and thanks to the Head-Fiers who did show up with some very good gear though. While we actually ran out of space for the people who came, it would have been even better if more had showed up.

Overall a very good show though, and the fun times & socializing outweighed the few negatives. It was definitely a learning experience as well for next time (assuming there is a next time?).

Agreed - we had at least 2 - 2.5x as many people with rigs at the July meet. I think if we hadn't just had a huge meet at the end of July that we'd have had a bigger turn out at RMAF which was only 2.5 months later.

On a sad note - I put away my HE Audio Jade on Saturday after someone tried to drop them on my GES, but I pulled them out on Sunday again. Someone managed to put a couple of 3-4 mm dents in one of the wood cups on Sunday. Needless to say, I will not be bringing my $1500 Jade to meets like this again.

Oct 13, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #197 of 209
Sorry to hear about that Larry! Maybe in the future you can bring the expensive headphones to meets but also give your son a baseball bat?

Oct 14, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #199 of 209
Yes. I feel your pain.
At the Ft. Lauderdale National meet, I saw people with big ass boots stepping on my Jades' cord and it makes me leery to want to share the joy with others. Also, there were some hairline cracks in the cups from people ripping them off their head with one hand (even my son knows not to do this with glasses or headphones) and slamming them down on the table, even though I brought stand and a towel. My R-10's haven't left the house, since.

Never had these problems a couple of years ago, at meets. Perhaps too many un-lessoned guests.

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #200 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a sad note - I put away my HE Audio Jade on Saturday after someone tried to drop them on my GES, but I pulled them out on Sunday again. Someone managed to put a couple of 3-4 mm dents in one of the wood cups on Sunday. Needless to say, I will not be bringing my $1500 Jade to meets like this again.

Ouch! Not cool at all.
frown.gif

Peace,

Lee

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #201 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. I feel your pain.
At the Ft. Lauderdale National meet, I saw people with big ass boots stepping on my Jades' cord and it makes me leery to want to share the joy with others. Also, there were some hairline cracks in the cups from people ripping them off their head with one hand (even my son knows not to do this with glasses or headphones) and slamming them down on the table, even though I brought stand and a towel. My R-10's haven't left the house, since.

Never had these problems a couple of years ago, at meets. Perhaps too many un-lessoned guests.

We need to "learn" them. Perhaps some posted rules of conduct is in order for member/hobbyist rigs?

Unfortunately, as a manufacturer, I have had so much stuff dented, dinged, and man-handled by visitors to my demo rooms over the years, that almost nothing surprises me any more. It's a "cost of doing business".

However, as a hobbyist, who is cool enough to share your personal "stuff", damage is intolerable. I think a "warning", or "reminder" to the visitors that these are your personal rigs, and you are sharing them out of your love for the hobby, might go a long way. Maybe.

Peace,

Lee

Nov 3, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #203 of 209
Thank-you for details on HE-5/EF5. I just received reply from Fang yesterday as I was asking him if my EF2 could drive the new HE5's (which I am waiting to order when the new shipment arrives) and he said no. That they are going to sell a discounted combo of HE-5/EF5 in which the EF5 is developed specifically for HE-5's but that was it. You're review filled in a lot od detail and subjective opinion based on your using them yourself.

I only have two concerns now:
Will the EF5 drive them to the volume levels I enjoy, and will the EF5 be a hybrid like the EF2 (with USB port) or am I back to looking for good USB DAC to connect to EF5?

Nov 3, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #204 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyBuoy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank-you for details on HE-5/EF5. I just received reply from Fang yesterday as I was asking him if my EF2 could drive the new HE5's (which I am waiting to order when the new shipment arrives) and he said no. That they are going to sell a discounted combo of HE-5/EF5 in which the EF5 is developed specifically for HE-5's but that was it. You're review filled in a lot od detail and subjective opinion based on your using them yourself.

I only have two concerns now:
Will the EF5 drive them to the volume levels I enjoy, and will the EF5 be a hybrid like the EF2 (with USB port) or am I back to looking for good USB DAC to connect to EF5?

The EF1 at RMAF four weeks ago was VERY good with the HE-5, and better than I recall the combo sounding at CanJam in LA - at RMAF it was quite powerful and punchy, with very good balance between bass, mids and highs. The EF2 at CanJam in LA was underpowered for the HE-5.

I am not sure if the EF1 at RMAF was modded internally to EF5 spec or not, but it would play quite loud with strong deep bass and no clipping, but I do believe it includes a DAC. On a budget for a DAC, consider the Super Pro DAC707 at ALOAudio.com $120 which is at least as good via USB as the EF2 USB DAC and better via optical, and with a Sigma 11 PSU it is even better than with the stock PSU.

Nov 6, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #205 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=small]Photos from RMAF (click on the photo below)[/size]

[size=x-small]2009-10-20 0217 EDT NOTE: I haven't had a chance to tag all of the photos yet, but I'll finish doing so tomorrow.[/size]

Great pictures. There are a couple in the group I am surprised didn't break the camera, namely mine. The JH Audio troop were a pretty cool group to bring regular RMAF down to the CanJam room.
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #206 of 209
I actually am fairly sure that the EF-1 does not include a DAC, unlike the EF-2 - the EF-5 therefore is also unlikely to include one. You will need to invest separately in your source.

Nov 6, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #207 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually am fairly sure that the EF-1 does not include a DAC, unlike the EF-2 - the EF-5 therefore is also unlikely to include one. You will need to invest separately in your source.

Yeah, we all know the EF1 does not have an internal DAC. What is up in the air is whether the EF5 will. Like you, I doubt it.

Nov 10, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #208 of 209
Hey Asr,

Came across your song of choice (apparently) for testing, Porcupine Tree's Open Car. I'd never heard their music before so I looked them up. Song totally rocks and the rest of that album is great. Went out and bought it today. I'll work through the rest of their discs eventually. Thanks for the indirect introduction!

(sorry for thread derail, Asr has pms disabled and this was the thread I discovered the song)

Nov 10, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #209 of 209
Glad you like it - "Open Car" is a great track (and also good for evaluating a few SQ-related aspects) and Deadwing is a solid CD. I like In Absentia a little bit more as an album though. And I have to give credit to Head-Fi member NeilPeart for turning me onto PT at a Head-Fi meet in 2006.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back