CanJam at RMAF 2013 Preview (And Exclusive Early Reveals!) - Head-Fi TV
Oct 13, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #302 of 361

And, for lovers of Woo Audio, their new desktop amp uses tubes for a power supply and gets rid of that big brick. I'm old and can't always bring names to mind. But you all know it as the glass enclosed amp/dac. It is fantastic as well - as are their mono-blocks.

Hmmm... are you talking about the WA7? Anyone have any more information about this? A newer version of the WA7?

Theres a tube PSU thats coming out.

Oct 13, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #303 of 361

somewhat, though the beyerdynamic t1 is my biggest exception to that, i love its bass despite the fact that its not bassy.

i miss my LCD-2 at times because it had more bass than LCD-3 which seems to be more balanced and neutral

I personally can discern zero bass difference at all between the LCD-2.2 and the LCD-3.  It just that the LCD-3 has more articulate upper mids and treble. 

Oct 13, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #304 of 361
I just concluded my 3rd visit to CanJam @ RMAF. Our's is a hobby rife with written hyperbole but there are plenty of breakthrough experiences to be had when real judgments can be made between devices and strategies in one setting with your own ears and preferences. If you have money to spend, but not money to waste, a visit to a big meet or better, CanJam is indispensable.

Oct 14, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #305 of 361
the new fostex looks interesting... wonder how it compares to all those other t50rp mods like mad dog and such... i like the look of it and if its priced like the stock t50rp, i may consider getting a pair if its good... i already have the stock t50rp, not very impressed by it though, to be honest. other new stuff also look interesting but i will hang onto my wallet and not be an early adopter 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 14, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #307 of 361
The review video with the sneak previews was a genius move.  I went to the Audeze and JHAudio booths especially because of it.  I was somewhat underwhelmed by the closed back Audeze's (e.g. LCD-XC) but the new open back LCD-X was brilliant.  The new CIEM by JHAudio called Siren series Roxanne literally blew my hair back.  Not only did I order a pair right there at the show, but my friend picked up a pair, also.  Outstanding event and congratulations to the organizers!

Oct 14, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #308 of 361
  The review video with the sneak previews was a genius move.  I went to the Audeze and JHAudio booths especially because of it.  I was somewhat underwhelmed by the closed back Audeze's (e.g. LCD-XC) but the new open back LCD-X was brilliant.  The new CIEM by JHAudio called Siren series Roxanne literally blew my hair back.  Not only did I order a pair right there at the show, but my friend picked up a pair, also.  Outstanding event and congratulations to the organizers!

WOW...how good is the Roxanne? 

Oct 14, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #309 of 361
Re: how good is the Roxanne?

So first, there are some caveats.  I tend to appreciate what is commonly referred to "neutral" sounding headphones.  Ergo I use UE4's.  I was looking to upgrade to the JH-13s.  While I appreciate good bass response, I don't give it preference.  I listened to the JH13s, which were quite good.  The Sirens, though, are in a league by themselves.  (This was using just my iPod classic without any other hardware like a DAC/amp unit).  The closest I have heard with the same sound quality, is when I auditioned some MG 3.7s in the store listening to my own music selections.  The variable bass controls are an added plus, but I don't think I will use them.  They are expensive to be sure, but the conference discount made it a simple decision.

Oct 14, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #311 of 361

Care to share your thoughts on what was lacking on the XC's?

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #312 of 361
RE: Care to share your thoughts on what was lacking on the XC's?

So some background first.  According to the representatives from Audeze at CanJam, the rationale behind the LCD-XC was the popular (unmet) demand for an Audeze closed back headphone.  They had shown some prototypes previously (RMAF 2012), but according to the results of their survey, there was significant interest in a closed back model.  Thus was born the LCD-XC, and by extension the LCD-X which has the same drivers as the XC but in a open design.  (BTW, my apologies to the folks at Audeze if I am less than completely accurate about these details).  In any case, I am not sure if the model they had at CanJam was the production piece.  I say that because I asked specifically if it was.  In any case, to answer your question, I didn't feel that the closed back version added much.  Admittedly, I was not listening so closely that I kept a mental checklist of the things I liked/disliked about the sound quality.  If it makes any difference, I immediately listened to the Fostex TH600 and TH900 afterwards.  In my mind, the TH900 clearly came out ahead among the three, which is interesting because it lists for $300 less than the XC.  If the whole rationale behind a closed back headphone is complete immersion in the sound, without interference from ambient distractions, I found the TH900 fit the bill.  Regardless, in a bit of irony, I preferred the LCD-X, even over the LCD-3s.

Oct 15, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #314 of 361
@DG: you can always try a "punchy" DAC. NFB-7 and Chord QuteHD both are explosive (but controlled) in the bass (and in all the spectrum for that matters).

been thinking about it. though i think i also really like the mytek 192, its so transparent and the bass is very very controlled and tight. bass quality is the best i've heard, not bass light, but not bassy either.

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #315 of 361
I haven't posted much here yet on this forum, but I also attended RMAF and listened to the LCD-3, LCD-X and XC.  I fell in love with the LCD-X.  In fact, it has ruined my HD650 which I am sure is no surprise - it left them weeping in the corner of my bag.  I thought the XC was very similar but had more bass and a little more of that closed headphone sound but less than what I expected.  When I asked them if it did have more bass, they said it was the same - perhaps it had more to do with lowering the background din in the room at CanJam?  Because it was a bit noisy, it was a good place to hear the XC.  In fact, when it was at its noisiest in there, I preferred it over the X.

The X is the first headphone by Audeze that I don't think I will be able to talk myself out of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back