CanJam at RMAF 2013 Preview (And Exclusive Early Reveals!) - Head-Fi TV
Oct 4, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #62 of 361
  When I have time I'll post in-depth about my feelings regarding the sonic excellence of LCD-X AND LCD-XC (since I loved the LCD-XC as well when I heard it).
But, both @warrenpchi and I have been DYING to share our enthusiasm for the LCD-X!

Warren has, however, stated almost precisely how I feel about the LCD-X thus far!  And he did quite an eloquent job at that!
More of my impressions to come - just have to head out for work...  But I MUST say that @warrenpchi NAILED it when he speaks of the LCD-X's ability to strip
away the BS, and connect you to the emotive power of the music (which is what matters most to me) - I have often called it "emotive transference" for lack of
a better description.  But when I listened to Donny Hathaway's "A Song For You" on the LCD-X I literally lost it and busted out in tears.  It's a very moving song,
and I've only reacted that way when listening to a couple of larger, in-room reference systems, and my LCD3's + E.A.R HP4 tube headphone amp!

I honestly don't remember the last time I heard a pair of headphones and immediately wanted one this bad.  I think the last time for me might have been an SR-007 Mk I that was paired with (what I now believe is) a KGSSHV.

Mercer, I would love to hear a rig consisting of a competent DAC + E.A.R. HP4 + dat cable + LCD-X.  Can you imagine that system?  Actually screw the DAC, put vinyl at the front of that chain. 
eek.gif

2) Construction, weight, pads and headband look pretty much the same as with previous Audeze products = very impractical and uncomfortable... Or am I wrong?

to your #2: I've never had a comfort issue w/ my LCD2 or LCD3 actually, so I know I might be an anomaly (I also use what I call the "vegan headband" - the non-leather one as
I find the clamping force to be FAR less).  I can wear, and have, my LCD3's for more than 12 hours without break.  However, @warrenpchi and I are of the same opinion again
here with regard to the LCD-X's fit.  I found its fight more comfy, and while it may not be lighter on paper, it certainly felt like it when I was listening.

Yeah, I would easily agree with that.  There must have been something done to reduce the clamping force.  Or at the very least, the headband was lengthened/widened.

Can't wait to sit down with Alex Cavalli too, and finally take some time 
with his amazing stuff.  I've only had limited time with his amps

His amps are just... wow.

So... when is the mad rush to sell LCD-3s on the for sale forum going to start?
devil_face.gif

Actually, I'm not sure that it will.  I think that those who love the LCD-3's sound will love them always.  They'll probably want to keep them.  I've talked a few people that have heard both... and while they are lusting after the LCD-X, they'd be the first to tell you that you can have their LCD-3s when you pry them from their cold dead ears.

Oh, and Mr. Chi, who makes that aftermarket cable that you're so in love with when paired with the LCD-X? At least you can tell us that much! Thanks Warren and especially thanks Jude for the video announcement.

Welcome!  I haven't actually paired it with the LCD-X yet... but I am intimately acquainted with its difference over the Cardas Clear.  If that shift in sonic profile holds for the LCD-X, then Ima ear spoodge.

The cable is still a prototype ATM.  I think I'm going to start a thread soon to talk about it, and get other people that have heard about it to share their impressions as well.  I can't say who makes it yet.

Oct 4, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #63 of 361
Started watching the vid again (because I'm an addict. First step to recovery = CHECK!) So much info and continuous descriptive takes - well executed, Jude.
beerchug.gif

I kind of considered the Audeze phones a bit out of my present range of Head-Fi-ness but I can't stop thinking about them now lol *leSigh. The more natural approach of the LCD-X and XC are very appealing and right in my path ahead. I've always been a disciple of dynamic phones (Senns for the most part) for no particular reason to date aside from accessibility (affordability/quality=mine!), so I think Planar might be my next venture forward. Gonna be a while, but it's exciting to see next phase start to come into view up there 
wink.gif

To my heart, not my wallet of course.

Also - can't WAIT to hear more about the Schiit gear as well! The Magni/Modi combo has truly elevated my work rig - really excited to finally setup my main listening rig at home soon as well.

Oct 4, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #64 of 361
  R&D break through huh? Sounds interesting. Would love to know more!

So... when is the mad rush to sell LCD-3s on the for sale forum going to start?
devil_face.gif

Why? The LCD-3s are still the top of the heap cans...if Audeze felt the LCD-X were better, then they would have charged more for them, no? I'm feeling this is going to be more like the HE-500s vs. the HE-6s. FWIW, if you want orthos with "less bass" and "more treble", then get the HE-6s for $1299. 
tongue.gif

Oct 4, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #65 of 361
The new Fostex RP...I'm so curious about this one. This could potentially be another great can to mod (or perhaps that won't be necessary). Does anybody know if Mr. Speakers has an arrangement with Fostex to ensure a steady supply of parts for his builds? Edit: I can't help but wonder if Fostex took notice of the popularity of his mods and decided to see if they could win back some folks with an upgrade for a bit more coin than the original T50RP...or something like that.

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #66 of 361

Why? The LCD-3s are still the top of the heap cans...if Audeze felt the LCD-X were better, then they would have charged more for them, no? I'm feeling this is going to be more like the HE-500s vs. the HE-6s. FWIW, if you want orthos with "less bass" and "more treble", then get the HE-6s for $1299. 
tongue.gif

More money = better? Could be but there is also the newer > older? 
tongue.gif

Too early to tell either way, but just the more neutral tonality alone makes them superior in my eyes. If in fact it is actually more neutral as reported.

You reminded me of a good example of how price colors perception and bias. When the HE-500 was $899 and the HE-6 was $1199, many people were trading them one for one without any cash on top. A lot of people said the HE-500 was superior and I didn't see a single person saying otherwise. This lasted for a whole year after the HE-500 was released. When the new prices kicked in all of a sudden the HE-6 were vastly superior and anyone who disagreed was considered a fool.

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #67 of 361

More money = better? Could be but there is also the newer > older? 
tongue.gif

Too early to tell either way, but just the more neutral tonality alone makes them superior in my eyes. If in fact it is actually more neutral as reported.

Most definitely...when a manufacturer prices one more than another...why does the Toyota Camry cost more than the Corolla.  
size]
  Personal preferences are something completely different and shouldn't be confused. 

The HE-500 came out after the HE-6 and some prefer the HE-500s. But the HE-6 is still the Hifiman flagship. 
tongue.gif

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #68 of 361

Most definitely...when a manufacturer prices one more than another...why does the Toyota Camry cost more than the Corolla.  
size]
  Personal preferences are something completely different and shouldn't be confused. 

The HE-500 came out after the HE-6 and some prefer the HE-500s. But the HE-6 is still the Hifiman flagship. 
tongue.gif

Well for the few who prefer the HE-500 (and I mean very few) the HE-500 is the flagship in their mind. But if the definition of flagship = most expensive than yeah the HE-6 fo shizzle is the flagship.

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #69 of 361

Well for the few who prefer the HE-500 (and I mean very few) the HE-500 is the flagship in their mind. But if the definition of flagship = most expensive than yeah the HE-6 fo shizzle is the flagship.

In Hifiman's opinion the HE-6s are obviously their flagship (I agree with them), in Grado's mind, the PS1000 is their flagship (I happen to disagree with them) and here, in Audeze's opinion, the LCD-3 is their flagship (and I want to hear the LCD-X first to decide whether I agree with them).

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #70 of 361
Another plausible explanation is that the X is cheaper to manufacter with their new R&D discoveries so that the profit margin is equal or even greater than the LCD-3. But yeah it's really exciting either way. Even if the X falls short it gives ortho fans more options. This I like!
atsmile.gif

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #71 of 361
  Another plausible explanation is that the X is cheaper to manufacter with their new R&D discoveries so that the profit margin is equal or even greater than the LCD-3. But yeah it's really exciting either way. Even if the X falls short it gives ortho fans more options. This I like!
atsmile.gif

Sorry, but I don't agree...you price things for what you feel you could get for them. And Audeze feels that they can get more for the LCD-3s. If they didn't, then they'd lower the price of the LCD-3s. I do agree that more options = moar bettah.

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #73 of 361
I really wish I could say more about dat Schiit, but for now dat Schiit's gotta stay under wraps.  Just one more week...

The performance is phenomenal.  If you've ever thought to yourself... "I wish I could take the best parts of the LCD-2 and LCD-3 and do a mash-up, leaving out any flaws" - well then that thought is manifested in the LCD-X.

Well, the LCD-X will in no way make the LCD-3 sound worse.  :D   And the LCD-3 is still a very, very, very enjoyable headphone.

But if I had to choose I would take the LCD-X in a heartbeat... just IMO.

Am also very curious about the lcd-x but whats more frightful (in my eyes) is the silence from the hifman camp..where are the new 'kill u all' headphones in their respective pricerange? Last fullsize phone..the he400 has been out a while now and the he6 is middle aged by now.. Anyone know why hifiman is not reacting on all those new higher end cans popping out everywhere since recently? Anyone know of any problems? Just being curious here!

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #75 of 361
In the land of currently produced orthos the HE-6 is a dinosaur. It's the oldest in production other than the Fostex. (I think?)

It's funny how Fang took so much anger from people for releasing headphones too quickly and now he's making everyone wait to punish the infidels. Plus it looks like he's been busy in the IEM/DAP market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back