Can you tell lossless from lossy with your portable setup?
Mar 10, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #136 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so you are suggesting to read an article to understand how to disprove an abx? is that article going to show me how to understand the flaws of a certain type of reasoning? would that not take credit away from the non-abx crowd as it asks for outside sources? i have read many of the documents: the arguments make little to no sense, but that is fine.

like i have said: i have seen people hear the differences between the exact same lossless file. one was much worse than the other and lacked highs and transcience. it was the one labelled mp3.

i think the thing we are looking for is this -- someone to be ballsie enough to do proper abx. if you can hear differences and prove it, then yeah, that is cool. if not, then dude, like i said: with my super equipment i can feel the singer lick my ear, yeah it is that much different wav to flac which only gives me a sense of a moist mouth. that is the truth, the damndest truth.

sounds bout right. can you pm me the name of the album where they lick ur ear
wink.gif

good test would be to play one song that swaps between low bit rate and high at various stages, and tell them to say when the bitrate changes (and if they can, guess). If you dont include lossless in the song, im sure they'd say lossless but that might be considered influencing the result
rolleyes.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #137 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This isn't audio cables or amps we are talking about this is audio files with missing data you don't need ABX to tell you your missing something from the music, it's a mathematical fact.

Of course it's a fact that a lossless and lossy file are different, but if the listener can't hear a difference then it becomes meaningless... which is the whole point behind lossy compression.

Mar 10, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #140 of 147
On d2 I could really feel difference between 320 and wav,for certain music,like blues or jazz. None for electronic-beats-house-trace stuff.
Also heavily influenced by headphones used...

Mar 11, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #141 of 147
can't tell
don't carry around an amp
and care too much about battery life to use lossless formats.

I usually use my DAP at the gym and while studying, two situations where analytical listening is not prescribed

Mar 11, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #142 of 147
Yes. Even on my relatively craptastic car stereo ($200 in a Sony head and Infinity fronts), I can notice the more natural and relaxed sound of lossless files. I was very glad to upgrade both my portable options from what they had been, to accommodate a larger amount of lossless files. I only subject myself to lossy files when previewing an album to decide if I'd want to buy it. To me, lossless over lossy is a no-brainer.

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #144 of 147
For portable use, I personally don't find the need to use lossless over high bitrate mp3. It just takes up more space on my DAP and any advantage is lost from external noises. Just my opinion.

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #145 of 147
agreed, some though dont use a portable rig for on the go, portable can mean just not a desktop setup, so you are trying to get the best compact setup you can

if i was on the tube or what have you, running about everywhere i couldnt care less about the lossless side of it!

i used my portable rig as a bedside rig in a perfectly quiet environment late at night where it was just you and the music

Mar 11, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #146 of 147
True. I didn't take into consideration that people use a portable rig around the house.

Mar 11, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #147 of 147
Can do. But usually don't see the need, and hence I most often encode to 256kbps AAC for portable use

Users who are viewing this thread

Back