Can you recommend some earbuds in the $150 range?
Sep 17, 2012 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Melanter

100+ Head-Fier
Using them from an iPod classic unamped.

Using them on a commute 50/50: walking/tram.

Mostly listen to alternative rock (Chili Peppers, Black Keys), classic rock, rap/hip-hop and a bit of electronica (written in the order of importance).

I like a warm, immersive sound, that is also clear and lets you hear everything going on. 
I like to really feel raunchy guitar riffs and groovy hip-hop beats.

Isolation is imortant but not #1; I would prefer earbuds to IEMs

Cool looking is definitely a nice bonus!

Overall I prefer a 'fun' sound to an 'analytic' one.

NOOOOOOOO microphonics!

Thanks!

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 13
Have you tried the new Apple EarPods yet?

They may just fit the bill, and save you a couple of bucks at the same time.

Jim

Sep 24, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #5 of 13
I have them, and would have to say they are an extremely pleasant surprise, and for $29 it's actually hard to go wrong.

• They're pretty much the champions for sound stage
  • No microphonics whatsoever. I've tried banging the cable on my desk, without having my ears jolted
  • Little in terms of isolation
  • A bit picky on amplification - they lose all bass with my FiiO E5, sound good on my iPhone 4S, and shine with my O2.
  • Some would perhaps consider them a bit bassy

... but, in terms of detail and refinement: No, they're not a $150 headphone, but surprisingly good for the asking price. I would love to see a high-end manufacturer go down the same route as Apple did, though, and create what I would consider an "Open IEM" (Basically, they're not really earbuds, but they're not IEM's either.

My review

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #6 of 13
No idea about earbuds anywhere near $150, but as a cheap alternative to the apple earpods, maybe try the ATH-C505i
They supposedly retail for 30,000Yen, but kakaku say you can get them for about 11,000-15,000Yen.
http://kakaku.com/item/K0000256452/

Only got a quick listen to my friend's the other week, but from the short period I tried them, they pretty great, especially for the price. They were clear and detailed, great for acoustics and mid range, and have decent soundstage. Like the earpods, these are open-back (means you'll hear what's going on around you but therefore pretty terrible isolation. Those two details are a tradeoff...), with a iController.

Only downside is they only sell in Japan, so you'll have to import them without a test. But they're pretty cheap, it's worth the $20-$30 gamble IMO.

Plus they might have been a bit more on the bright side rather than overly warm.

Really want to get a pair for myself actually =S

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #7 of 13
The Sennheiser MX980 are highly recommended and they sound warm, crisp, very detailed wth good punchy bass and wide soundstage.

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #8 of 13
FWIR you might be happt with the Blox TM7. I will provide a link below to a multi-comparison of earbuds.
If you are willing to get iems, I have read many good things about the R-50. Both of those are under $150.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/441400/earbuds-round-up

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
Overall I prefer a 'fun' sound to an 'analytic' one.

Rules out shure and etymotic. I'd recommend getting the refurbished monster turbine pro's copper (400 list but down to 149 as of now). Really for bassheads. Or the UE TF10 if youre willing to go a little higher (clarity and highs are better than the cooper's, but less bass than monster) You can't go wrong with these two basic headfi cult favorites :)

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #11 of 13
Just saw that you were mostly looking for "earbuds" -- high quality earbuds simply don't exist, save for *maybe* the occasional pair from sennheiser. The reason for this is that IEM's create that seal needed to create great SQ.

Though monster IEM's typically shouldnt have a fit issue and will hold up well.

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
The reason for this is that IEM's create that seal needed to create great SQ.

If a seal was needed for great sound quality, by extension all open circum- or supra-aural headphones would suck.  I'm pretty sure there are a few Stax, HD-800 and LCD-2-owners who would take issue with that.

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #13 of 13
Have you thought about the Yuin line of earbuds such as the Pk1 or Pk2 ive heard great things about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back