Can you read Chinese? I need your help!
Sep 2, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #46 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The translation is pretty much spot on with the exception of the bolded section.

Given that the first sentence is a little fragmented, confusing, and I will suppose that it's being addressed to the recipient of the email, the translation should come out to this: "You have to remember me when you come back to Taiwan and take me/your little sister out. Don't forget that you still have, me, your little sister."

"回台灣的時候要想到我帶姊姊出去玩哦. 不要忘了還有我這個姊姊哦. "

^that part confused me the most, so I just translated it literally as the words came out. Also, I don't read traditional so there was a fair amount of guesswork and wikitionary'ing going down haha. Your interpretation of putting the pause after 我 makes a lot more sense though. And 姊姊 means older sister. It's not 妹妹。

Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
some impreciseness, and some meanings lost in translation; but overall I think the translate is fine.

The problems with your translation, in general, stem from the fact that English is not your native language. But nevertheless decent translation.

On the contrary, I feel a helluva lot more comfortable with English than Chinese. Chinese may be my first language, but it's definitely no longer my native language. But I suppose absolute translations are asymptotic ideals.

OP: Hope all goes well for you. I've tried to be as objective as possible with my translation, but in my experience, a disloyal significant other is rarely, if ever, worth keeping. Keep us posted and remember, plenty of other snappers in the sea!

Sep 2, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #47 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"回台灣的時候要想到我帶姊姊出去玩哦. 不要忘了還有我這個姊姊哦. "

^that part confused me the most, so I just translated it literally as the words came out. Also, I don't read traditional so there was a fair amount of guesswork and wikitionary'ing going down haha. Your interpretation of putting the pause after 我 makes a lot more sense though. And 姊姊 means older sister. It's not 妹妹。

Your english is very good...did you pick it up quite early?

I can read younger sister/older sister, and that's definitely older sister (to those who aren't from china, the chinese language separates younger and older siblings into completely different words)

Sep 2, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #48 of 62
the confusing part: 回台灣的時候要想到我帶姊姊出去玩哦. 不要忘了還有我這個姊姊哦" i think should be separated out like this: 回台灣的時候要想到我---帶姊姊出去玩哦. 不要忘了還有我這個姊姊哦"

i think it means "when you come back to taiwan, remember me and take me (your bigger sister) out, don't forget you have a bigger sister like me"

erm, why would it be a sister? shouldn't this be a guy?!?!

Sep 2, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #50 of 62
/\ Perhaps she and her older girlfriend were just being "curious", you know~

Sep 2, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #51 of 62
In that case, keep her
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #52 of 62
you guys..
confused.gif

I'm fairly certain she's referring to herself as the older sister. Then again, I guess that doesn't say anything about the gender of the other person involved... That "sentence" is definitely the most nebulous of the entire letter.

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #54 of 62
question is, how old is the GF? You guys are right about the "older sister" part, but the first part of the email talks about doing things in hiding, because of the age issue. Is she seeing a very young person? The fact that she said "don't waste your parent's effort" or something, again, the person is in school in Boston.

But then, the younger other person is advising her (the GF) on relationship?

This is a great thread... more info plz... :)

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #55 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And 姊姊 means older sister. It's not 妹妹。

My mistake, you're right. That's what responding at 2:30 in them morning will do to ya.

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #56 of 62
hi,i am from China,i am studying in Beijing.And i am so glad that i can help.Hope my English is good enough.

你好. 我不知道你會不會看你的e-mail, 但是還是想把話說出來. 兩天沒有跟你聊天和見面了, 還覺得有點怪. 我知道你不會打電話給我但還是在這兩天等你的電話. 我今天想說打個電話給你, 但是你沒有接. 我想你是不想接吧. 我在這兩天發覺你應該只是跟我玩玩而以, 所以我會把你忘了. 我在這幾天想了好多事, 我想我們還是不適合, 大概是應為年紀吧. 我們再一起的時間也是躲躲常常的, 好累哦. 不想說了, 我想你也不想聽了吧.

it says:
hello ,i dont know whether you gonna check your e-mail,but i want to say something to you. we havent chat for two days,i am feeling a little strange.i am convienced that you wont call me .however ,i ve been waiting for your call. i called you today ,but you didnt answer.i thought you might dont even want to hear my voice.i ve figued out that you just want to have some fun with me, you dont want to be with me.and i just want to get you out of my mind( forget) you .i ve been thinking a lot these days,i think we two dont match (maybe go for each other is better),perhaps because of age. the time that we spent together we hide .(sorry i dont know how to say this in english,i dont know whether you understand.) i am too tired to write,i also think that you dont want to listen either.

i am not so good at english,hope it may help you !

Sep 3, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #58 of 62
god you ve got more .

我會把你跟我說過的話 (關於我跟人之間的交往) 努力的去改變和improve自己. 回台灣的時候要想到我帶姊姊出去玩哦. 不要忘了還有我這個姊姊哦.

在Boston的時候要努力的讀書, 不要浪費了你爸媽的對你的期望哦. 還有, 看看你和Danny在Thanksgiving有沒有空來LA找我玩. 你應該也是放一個禮拜的假吧.....來有禮物哦 =^O^=

最後有一手歌想要送你

it says

i will change and impove myself as you ve told me(about my getting along with others).when you go back to Taiwan,you ought to think about me,and go to play with your big sister.dont forget about you have a sister.

you must study hard in Boston ,dont let your mother and father down.moreover ,you may have one week holiday for Thanksgiving ,see whether you and Danny have time to visit me in LA ....come with your gift for me.

last i ve got a song for you.

that is it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back