Can you read and listen to music at the same time
Apr 5, 2009 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

blackcoffee

New Head-Fier
When I was half my current age (which is 36 by the way) I had music on all the time. ALL THE TIME.

But now I usually prefer it pretty quiet and distraction free when reading. Oh well, since I got back in to the hifi thingie I decided to use my AKGs tonight while reading a book. First Elvis from Memphis. Nah, to0 much "monkey stereo". Then some piano music by Satie. Nah, too attention demanding. Then the album Berlin by Lou Reed... one hour later I have not read a word.

Can you read and listen to music at the same time? If so, are you over 30?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #2 of 55
Well, yes and no. I can "listen" to music while reading, not analyze it though. I'm under 30.

Apr 5, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 55
Yes. When the music has words, it takes a lot of effort to keep reading instead of listening to the lyrics, so I tend not to listen to music with words. When it's instrumental, there is nearly no distraction. It doesn't prevent me from understanding any book that I would otherwise.

Today I began re-reading 1984 while listening to A Silver Mt. Zion. They work together pretty well
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 55
Yes, do it every day on the bus ride home. But I wouldn't call it critical listening.

Apr 5, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 55
I do it on head-fi everyday lol.

If I am actually reading a real book I can't listen to music because I usually tune all sounds out, but if I am studying I am most often listening to some music.

Apr 6, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #8 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackcoffee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I was half my current age (which is 36 by the way) I had music on all the time. ALL THE TIME.

But now I usually prefer it pretty quiet and distraction free when reading. Oh well, since I got back in to the hifi thingie I decided to use my AKGs tonight while reading a book. First Elvis from Memphis. Nah, to0 much "monkey stereo". Then some piano music by Satie. Nah, too attention demanding. Then the album Berlin by Lou Reed... one hour later I have not read a word.

Can you read and listen to music at the same time? If so, are you over 30?
smily_headphones1.gif

So if 36 is half your current age, that would make you 72.
I think my dad is 72 now.
Anyway, i read Head-Fi while listening to music all the time.

Apr 6, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #10 of 55
I even associate certain CDs with certain books because I had the CD playing while reading the book. If I'm rereading a book I like to play the same music. Like above, sort of as a 'soundtrack' to the book
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #11 of 55
As said before, yes I can hear music while reading, but not "listen" to it. It doesn't register as music. I normally wouldn't want to listen to music at the same time as reading, especially if its a theoretical book (i.e., non fiction or a "hard" novel). Still, sometimes i chose to listen to music to stop other distractions (I can get distracted very easily). When i do, its usually ambient, or light music (little/no bass) as i find they tend to be less distracting, and not give me headaches as i would with bass heavy music.

Apr 6, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #12 of 55
I can read while I listen to music, but I've never mastered walking and chewing gum at the same time. :-o

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think he said he is 36 now (it's that little thing called "tense"
tongue.gif
)...

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackcoffee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I was half my current age (which is 36 by the way)....

wink.gif

Apr 6, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #13 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Please note that I'm not a native english speaker.
dt880smile.png

On the other hand, yesterdays experience was really nice - it's too seldom I dissapear into music like that these days.

Apr 6, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #14 of 55
I find it much easier when I know the music in and out. If I listen to music I read something to, sometimes I can see the pages and it really helped at test time. Not much over thirty as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back