Can you read and listen to music at the same time
May 25, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #47 of 55
For studying, its better if its quiet. But if Im in the library I prefer listening via my IEMs
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #48 of 55
I can never read and listen to music at the same time. Whenever am doing something I like to put all my energy and focus into accomplishing that objective. Whenever am studying I read for about 45 minutes take a 15 minute break of listening to music and then continue reading. Having said that though. There are reports that some forms of music example Baroque music helps to put one into a deeper focus/concentration and thus enhances reading comprehension.

May 26, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #49 of 55
i can only do this if the music is at a pretty low volume and completely instrumental, in which case it does actually help me focus sometimes. vocals are just completely distracting for me though, even if they're in a language i don't understand.

May 27, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #50 of 55
Helo, certainly, i cant really do it the other way around though, hwen I am reading stuff, especially when I am working for school, I have to listen to music at the seem time to creat a black mental background for myself and not get distracted. Otherwise i cant concentrate. When I am in the library or in another public building and styding i have to wear a closed heapdhone to be able to isolate myself from other people and be able to concentrate on what I am doing.
Greetings, Anouk,

May 28, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #51 of 55
I tend to read better when I'm listening to music. For some reason I have no problem tuning out the lyrics of the song or just shoving them to one side of my head. My brain works better if it has some sort of noise being throw into it. I'm not sure why since this seems to be the opposite from nearly everyone else I know. I also enjoy choosing music that sets the right soundtrack for a book I'm reading. I usually end up playing that album or artist over and over again for the length of that book so I tend to associate that book with that artist or album when I listen to said music piece(s) again.

May 28, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #52 of 55
I totally agree with you 928. Lyrics can be a problem if songs are in my native language (dutch) but I mostly listen to stuff in other languages, even though I speak English pretty well I dont get distracted by it. I mostly listen to just music, so for example no radio stations with a lot of advertisements or talking going on. I can even listen to a dvd or radiodrama or audiobook and read at the seem time but of course it is not as efficient.
Greetings, Anouk

May 28, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #54 of 55
The thread title reminded me of something that happened to me many years ago. I was turned on to the operas of Brecht/Wiel during the course of a music appreciation class in the early 1970's. Later, I bought an LP copy of the classic 1953 (stereo!) performance of The Three Penny Opera. One day, I was listening to it while reading the English/German libretto. Now, the German was on the page to the left, and English to the right, and at one point I turned the page, and by habit, began to read at top left. You know, I got half way down the page before I realized that I had been reading German, a language of which my understanding is very rudimentary. How about that?

Laz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back