Can you hear upscaling?
May 26, 2024 at 6:58 AM Post #61 of 132
Who doesn't agree to that? Of course band-limited square waves are band-limited! All square waves are band-limited. An ideal square wave is just an abstract concept like the number infinity.
Have a look of the following quotes.

It is interesting, sometimes 1.000 are considered same as 1.001. Sometimes, 1.000000000000000 is considered different from 1.000000000000001 :face_palm: :cherries:

We already explained all that with the impulse response, with the oscilloscope screenshots, now you argue the exact same BS with square waves, another signal with infinite bandwidth :face_palm: .

Digital audio wasn’t designed to reproduce square waves. It isn’t a signal that is allowed in commercially recorded music. It doesn’t matter because music doesn’t contain square waves.

Of course he’s saying a “band-limited square wave is not included”, for the same reason as digital audio also doesn’t include unicorns, fairies or leprechauns, there’s no such thing! A square wave contains an infinite number of (odd) harmonics, if it’s band limited then it obviously doesn’t contain an infinite number of harmonics and therefore is not an actual square wave.

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 7:10 AM Post #62 of 132
Oh dear, looks like you pressed the post button early, lol.

And thanks for posting your quote again, proving again that you don’t understand “precision” and that your claim of being trained in physics must be false. We know already, you don’t understand and you were lying, why keep demonstrating that to us and even worse, using it as the basis for a ridiculous argument, what do you hope to gain except being banned for trolling?

G

May 26, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #63 of 132
This isn’t at all about square waves. That’s just the excuse to make it look like he’s talking about a legitimate topic. Surely the admins aren’t fooled by that. Why they let this chaos go on amazes me. They blame us for being short tempered when they allow three trolls at once to run free causing discord. Is this really what they think is “community building”? It’s blatantly obvious that this forum is being targeted, and it’s blatantly obvious who is at fault. Three quick 90 day forum bands would take care of this. Let them post in the other forums at Head Fi. But they don’t belong here.

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #64 of 132
I have downloaded FLAC’s and upscaled the to dsd256 for my future DAC. However, the differences are minimal, I have compared side by side, but only with one song, it was noticeable between formats, and dithering, but not between 128 and 256 dsd. Used AUL converter.

May 26, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #65 of 132
I don't see any problems with those quotes.

It is interesting, sometimes 1.000 are considered same as 1.001. Sometimes, 1.000000000000000 is considered different from 1.000000000000001 :face_palm: :cherries:
I don't know where you took these numbers, but context matters.

May 26, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #66 of 132
Modo stuff:

I put a stop to sunjam's hijacking of this thread to post the exact same stuff he's been proved to be dishonest about in the other thread.

If a square wave is recorded with a proper band limiting, it then would have the ringing looking wiggles, and that's how the output should be if it tries to maintain fidelity for the recorded signal.
The cherry-picked line from Monty is something where I already showed that Monty gives the answer just a few lines below when he stops talking about digital domain and discuss the imperfection of a reconstruction filter. Yet here it is again, quoted out of context on purpose to make a guy look bad.
The 1.000 and 1.001 in the above post is yet another thing that he already tried and was proved wrong about, but here it is again, of course out of context because otherwise he's the one looking like a fool.

It's a level of manipulative dishonesty that I personally had never seen on the forum.

Anyway. @knownothing2 . Sorry for even giving the guy a chance and turning your thread into a mess. Hopefully, now those who have information can share some.

Castleofargh stuff:
I don't know what Robs machine really does. IMO, upscaling seems weird and not weird at the same time for audio. Scaling is a common term for signal processing, it's applying a multiplier on the time axis. And if you then play that at a sample rate also modified by the multiplier, you get the revolutionary technical wonder we casually all understand as resampling.

What we know is that resampling is not regenerating data lost when sampling. That's not a possibility.
But there are various uses to resampling, some that do lead to improved fidelity, like why most DACs oversample a great deal. I often wonder about the merits of doing it before the DAC itself, and which DACs are really fine with that.
Historically, I only considered doing that to a NOS DAC, which in itself felt strange because if you understand the merits of oversampling, you wouldn't get a NOS DAC in the first place IMO.
Maybe I'm missing something. Anyway, the audibility question can only be answered by an actual listening test. On that, I really don't see the point of asking people what they think after doing it wrong. It has no factual value.
I also often consider an underlying question when audibility is established, and that is to confirm the cause instead of making one up on based on vague correlation. Rob's a sort of model example of that issue. He talks about doing things that even he recognizes shouldn't be humanly noticeable. But when he concludes there is an audible difference anyway, he doesn't look for other causes, like his test being flawed, or other causes that are within the domain of humanly audible changes. No, instead, he concludes that there is more to learn about human hearing. Which is when it becomes clear who Rob is and who he isn't. He is an engineer, he is a very active marketing guy, he isn't much of a researcher. I "watched" a conversation about research in astronomy and the statistical level of confidence they require before bragging about discovering something. It's incredibly difficult for them and they spend much more time checking for errors that could give them the special results, than they do getting the data.
Most businesses don't need anywhere near that level of rigor, and for us in audio, a good example of that would be the metanalysis about hires being audible. With just barely over guessing stats, they conclude in favor of an audible difference. Just about any different choice in the selection and evaluation of the papers used in the analysis would have altered the stats in a way, bigger than the margin for the entire final result being called a positive one.
And that still counts as somewhat serious research in our audio world.
It comes down to what it always comes down to, what do you consider enough to call something a fact? I tend to stick with IDK and I don't care until I get clean, well documented data convincing me to give a damn.
But in this hobby, the consensus is that the amount of data does not affect the number of conclusions being reached/jumped to. You know everything on a question, and you conclude something. You know nothing at all on a subject, can't actually test it in a conclusive falsifiable way, and you conclude something nonetheless.
It doesn't exactly elevate our hobby or make me trust people in it. That's just my general point of view. Again, I don't know that particular magic box, maybe it solves a problem the already expensive DAC had, maybe his method of spending more money and computational power into the things that most brands and chip manufacturers have worked hard on to save money and use simplified stuff that still were fine for human ears, gets the predictable improvement it can get. Is it audible? Again, not something we can actually answer with opinions. And of course most people will anyway because our hobby isn't a very serious one when it comes to facts.

May 26, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #67 of 132
Sorry for starting all this. I could have guessed that there would be some criticism on this sub-forum of Watts’ new device and his talking points, but I was looking for a deeper technical dive into how his device, and significant upsampling in general, might improve digital reproduction. Maybe this was thoroughly ran through here when the M-Scaler was introduced or in some other context or discussion. I will search the site for that.

I now notice there is another thread on Head Fi on the Chord Quartet scaler, but Watts and the device are receiving an entirely different reception there. Very little in the way of technical discussion there.

kn
I suspect there's little technical discussion because no one really knows anything yet. In fact, Rob himself has said he still has problems to solve. I gather he's worked awfully hard on trying to isolate RF, for it's been a thorn in his craw that the original scaler sounds better on battery (something he himself openly admits, which is a pretty remarkable testimony to his honesty, to admit to such flaws in his original design).

But if you're interested in whatever tech there is, you'd do better looking at Rob's lectures/presentations than expecting anything useful in this forum (where the religion is that digital audio progress stopped in the 70s).

I was interested there wan't more reaction to the prototype demo at Munich. But then again, you can't hear anything at Munich anyway really, ironically for an audio conference lol.

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #69 of 132
Modo stuff:

I put a stop to sunjam's hijacking of this thread to post the exact same stuff he's been proved to be dishonest about in the other thread.

Thank you.

Comically and predictably, he’s now taking out of context screenshots of posts here and having a rant on his blog. Sad to say, but he seems truly convinced that his uninformed opinions are right and known science is wrong. And that we’re all terrible people which is odd considering how much time he spends interacting with us.

May 26, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #70 of 132
The discussion has taken a step forward, thanks.

Am I correct in understanding that folks here generally conclude that the Chord scaler devices, including the currently available Hugo M-Scaler, shouldn’t affect the experience listeners have using a well designed and measuring oversampling DAC? And also conclude that the level of effort in terms of code Watts puts into these devices is entirely unnecessary? It appears that Watts himself is not exactly certain, nor can he completely explain why his design would sound better. I will look carefully at his technical docs as suggested and try to consider that along with the more productive and objective portions of this thread.

Some people report the Hugo M-Scaler makes an audible difference in their systems. Not all of those reports are positive. Others report no audible effect. Regardless of how exactly the devices work, it would be interesting (to me) to see the results of a well run ABX/double blind test comparing the Chord devices with much cheaper computer algorithms available in readily available playback software to see if listeners can indeed hear any differences. Adequate controls would be needed including the target DAC(s) and the connection type (USB vs BNC) should be taken into consideration.

kn

May 26, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #71 of 132
Some people report the Hugo M-Scaler makes an audible difference in their systems. Not all of those reports are positive. Others report no audible effect. Regardless of how exactly the devices work, it would be interesting (to me) to see the results of a well run ABX/double blind test comparing the Chord devices with much cheaper computer algorithms available in readily available playback software to see if listeners can indeed hear any differences. Adequate controls would be needed including the target DAC(s) and the connection type (USB vs BNC) should be taken into consideration.

kn
FWIW, in our A room, we run the M-Scaler with the Dave in the monitoring system. The M-Scaler has a no-gain-change bypass so you can easily inaudibly switch it off. When mixing, for clients who care (some do, some are just mildly curious, most don't want to spend studio hours on it), we run a drum test track and tell them to close their eyes and listen to the snare and toms and tell us which they like better. Seems about a third prefer it in, maybe a sixth actually like it better with it off, and about half can't tell any difference. Its effect is on balance smoothing and can take away excitement for some people. We always mix with it off and usually listen back with the clients and everybody with it on (you can't do fine grained automation for example because its processing adds a little delay).

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #72 of 132
I suspect there's little technical discussion because no one really knows anything yet.
Speak for yourself.

If properly upscaled, there should be absolutely no audible difference. Upscaling can’t add back information that isn’t there in the first place. If there is a difference, it’s because the upscaling is being done improperly, causing degradation of the audio. That shouldn’t occur though, because upscaling is drop dead easy.

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 12:33 AM Post #73 of 132
Speak for yourself.

If properly upscaled, there should be absolutely no audible difference. Upscaling can’t add back information that isn’t there in the first place. If there is a difference, it’s because the upscaling is being done improperly, causing degradation of the audio. That shouldn’t occur though, because upscaling is drop dead easy.

Rob Watts says in the video that he has exhaustively tuned it by ear.

On that basis he could easily have tuned it to change the sound in a manner that he believes is a more correct representation of the subtleties of certain instruments but might be less technically correct but still pleasing to him with his test tracks and probably also less correct to others. I guess his hope is that the sound he has apparently tuned into it would please his target audience.

Interestingly according to FBM comments above about an M-Scaler into a Dave around 2/3 of the folks that listen to it would be better off without it if it was something in their own audio set up which is lower than the 50/50 split that subjective preference might usually show with a large enough sample size.

May 27, 2024 at 2:45 AM Post #74 of 132
Is electronic music not allowed in commercially recorded music? I just showed a drum machine made by Korg that can produce sqaure wave.

Here is the photo again:
Once again, you show that you keep making posts without understanding what you post. This synth does not output a square wave. If you did some research instead of just googling "square wave printed on synth" and posting the first result you get as "proof", you would notice the very sneakily placed Mod Type text right under the knob which indicates what that knob actually does. The square wave does not go to the output. In reality, it is used as a kind of control signal to modulate the pitch of the wave which can be set to either sine or triangle and definitely not to square. You could stop embarrassing yourself by either not posting on topics you clearly have no idea about, or better yet, do some research first, like reading the manual of the synth in this case and recognizing your mistake before you try to mislead everyone with your terrible posts.

May 27, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #75 of 132
And even if Vangelis or Tomita decided they wanted to create a “symphony for square wave”, by the time you popped the CD in your player, it wouldn’t be a square wave any more. You’d need something other than digital audio to play it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back