Can you hear this?
Jun 2, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #61 of 78
Who didn't hear it btw?

Jun 3, 2006 at 1:10 PM Post #64 of 78
For those who could NOT hear it: did you try to increase the volume? I mean, you could not hear it no matter how loud you played it?

For those who could hear it: did you hear it at equal volume with both ears?

For those about to rock...
icon10.gif

I could hear it from my laptop speakers, even at low volume. Then I checked it through headphones, and I realised that I actually can hear it much better with my right ear. Which came as a surprise, since my audiogram showed a decrease in my right ear's capability to hear frequencies at 4-8 kHz. But now I find that the same ear is better than the other one for hearing 15 kHz!

Jun 8, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #65 of 78
Interestingly I can hear this tone most easily with my HD650's, not as loud with my SR60's or Koss KSC-35 (but this is plugging them directly to my laptop, no volume matching involved). With the 650's it's actually annoying for me. This made me think that my laptop speakers probably had a severe rolloff and that's why I couldn't hear it from my laptop speakers, but nope, a young friend of mine can perfectly hear it from my laptop speakers. It seems to go too low from those tiny speakers for my ears, but with the headphones in general I can hear it, most clearly (and even annoying) with the 650's. I can hear it louder with my left ear.

Jun 9, 2006 at 10:24 AM Post #66 of 78
There was an item on this mornings BBC Radio 4 Today programme about the authorities in a Sydney suburb blasting Barry Manilow at high volumes to drive away noisy "rev heads". Listen again

Might work better than high pitched tones
rolleyes.gif

Jan 18, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #67 of 78
good greif i could hear it! soooooo painful!!!!

explain this to me....

i have tinnitus... my left ear has it the worst and by far the most noticeably... and it's the ear that's always the first to have a clogged eustachian tube (my eustachian tubes seem easily clogged)... but it was the ear that i could hear that noise with first... i had to turn it up quite a bit louder to hear it in my right ear (so loud that i had to take the left earpiece of my ety er6i's out of my left ear before i could turn it up loud enough for my right ear to hear)...

what's up with that? i mean... i'd expect the ear with the bad tinnitus problem to be rather deaf to this 15khz racket... but it was the ear with the mild tinnitus that could hear this noise the least easily.... and the ear with the worst tinnitus that could hear this racket the most easily.

could one of you knowledgeable on this sorta thing explain this to me?

oh... and my tinnitus may have be caused by an ear infection rather than noise. i recall getting it around the time i started doing some rather noisy work. but i wore hearing protection at the time, so that doesn't make sense that it would be caused by noise. my eustachian tubes clog easily. i had the symptoms of toxic shock once after spending a while with a smoking room mate (smoking aggravates my allergies and clogs the tubes.).

Jan 18, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #68 of 78
I think I just had a heart attack (I literally jumped and breathed in a full breath in about half a second). Thanks for posting...

I doubt that's 15 khz. 15 khz. is more about the tone a CRT TV produces, which sounds higher to my ears. 16,000 hz. for reference is high C on a 1' rank on the pipe organ.

Jan 18, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #70 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Breakdown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://download.npr.org/anon.npr-mp3...c_teenbuzz.mp3

Perfectly audible via Mac G5 > Toslink > Spitfire DAC > Zu Pivot RCA-to-mini IC > Tomahawk > ES2 IEMs {specs: 20Hz-18kHz}

Same via DT880-250/2005 and loud ambient office noise nearly obliterates all but a little hiss and barely audible tone. {specs: 5Hz - 35kHz}.

Same setup but M-Hornet, Hi-Gain, max volume > DT880: more clearly audible above the hiss + a bit of irritating pressure in the ears.

[I'm not yet older than the hills, but I can see them looming on the horizon.]

So far I can still hear to 20kHz -- haven't yet tested beyond that. I'm happy as it is.

Jan 18, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #71 of 78
you know it's an old thread when Jagwire is still at the top, hehe. Well, i heard it, and also saw ads where they have that tone as the ringer, so teens in class can field calls without the teachers knowing. sneaky, eh?

Jan 18, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #72 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you know it's an old thread when Jagwire is still at the top, hehe. Well, i heard it, and also saw ads where they have that tone as the ringer, so teens in class can field calls without the teachers knowing. sneaky, eh?

Except if they show up stoned, in which case the HFs are gone-gone-gone. Doh!

Jan 19, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #75 of 78
Wow, I turned my volume to 0 on my Aria and with my K701's, it only took until 8:30 to year it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back