Can you "hear" absolute silence?
Nov 6, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #16 of 78
Shouldn't you be quoting the other person?

Quote:
that's b/s dude. no matter what age no one can hear 21khz. the human ear limitation is 20khz, there was tests showing one can perceive the sound pressure of radio frequencies and feel it in the ear but you will not hear anything at all. if you do you need to fix the gear you have and check for any type of harmonic distortion that's taking place unless of course that's how you like the sound of course(especially for tubes since they purposely sometimes give off harmonic distortion to make the sound more pleasing) or can be the plugins used in your media player or web browser causing the harmonic distortion(not indicating yours or anyones gear of course. just saying.)
also age does not really mean anything either cause i know kids half my age that can barely hear up to 15khz and that's horrible

Nov 6, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #17 of 78
I definately have tinnitus and hearing loss, due to listening to loud music, going to over 100 concerts, and playing in bands...

Nov 6, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #22 of 78

Quote:
Did you get that 21kHz test done at an audiologist's or ear doctor's? If you tested that on a computer, you're probably hearing harmonic artefacts introduced by the compression. Simply being a human, it's not likely that you can hear that high of a frequency unless you're under 14 years old or so.

21 is the limit of hearing anything on some file played online with some voice talking at low speaking volume. Of course it's not professionally done but I can hear 20 well and 19 easily. I don't even think audiologists test frequencies that high. Maybe I was just hearing distortion, but I definitely do not have hearing loss. A low hiss is normal, but if you still hear it even with background noise like a computer fan humming, it might be either temporary tinnitus from listening to something loud previously or permanent tinnitus.

Nov 6, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #24 of 78

Quote:

Nonsense.  If anything, music recorded with little dynamic range makes it easier to keep the volume within fixed limits.  There won't be any surprises where it gets loud without warning.

Just turn the volume down.  Music playback is never any louder than the volume the listener chooses to listen.

Music shouldn't get loud without warning though.  I'm all for the "at least -14 dB standard for music".  These albums with -6 dB and less are getting out of hand.  Thankfully though I've all but stopped listening to these loud albums and tend to seek out properly mastered cd's or vinyl.

Nov 6, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #28 of 78

Quote:

I jumped out out of my seat at around 35 seconds into the song. Especially when I crank up the volume to hear the softer tones more clearly. 

Yeah, I love that effect!  Like it should be. 
biggrin.gif
   If it had been compressed with no dynamic range the soft sound would be about the same as the loud sound and all the emotion would be drained from the recording.

Nov 6, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #30 of 78
I actually was wondering about this as well. Im going to an audioologist very soon to get tested. As of late its gotten worse, to the point of where its overthrowing music and tvs. Im hoping theres a quick cure, considering im only 18, and have only ever gone to 2 concerts, ive shot guns before, guns that i should have had earing protection before, but i would think that i shouldnt have this bad of ringing. It also gets worse when listening to music, which is really starting to depress me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back