Can you guys help me find headphones for my almost deaf Grandmother?
Apr 16, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #16 of 31
The XB500 has the most bass quantity of any headphone out there from my research, and is reportedly very comfortable. Though I have to admit I've never held one in my hands. Is it really that heavy?

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #18 of 31
If your grandmother is nearly deaf, then i'm afraid she should avoid headphones all together to prevent any possible further damage.
Did you read the first page by any chance?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #19 of 31
Yes I have, but my point still stands. As great as music is, there are alternative ways to help people feel better. I don't think blasting music through a 90+ year old person's ears is a good idea. She may lose the ability to hear altogether, which really wouldn't be good for her.

Apr 16, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #20 of 31
I'm really sorry to hear this,
Well but the situation of 'no headphones' is already pretty really bad. Might as well we do at least something?
Also low frequencies do not hurt hearing as much as high frequencies since the oscilations are not as fast. So warm ,fun headphones would probably be the best choice. 
Also since the in ear bones are damaged, maybe as stated earlier the massive bass of the xb500 would cause some viscerall effect and help with the pleasure of music.
And about hearing loss, i'd rather have the rest of her hearing lost than the rest of her will to live lost.

Apr 16, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #21 of 31
What a great thing to do for your grandma :)

Instead of the E6, look at one of the fred_fred_2004's larger CMOY amps. Big round dial for adjusting the volume. I've ordered a couple amps from him as gifts. Good quality, excellent service. ClieOS also reviewed one fred's CMOYs in his sub $100 portable amp shootout.

I don't see one listed, but Fred has also made one with an even bigger casing that has a giant power button, too. He designed it to be easy to operate for his dad who is half deaf, and I bought one of them for my dad who has the same problem (my dad refuses to get a hearing aid). You might PM him through ebay see if he has any of those, although they are not portable (wall plug).

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #22 of 31
Thanks for the help everybody, but nothing worked.  It was either too loud, or not loud enough.  I don't know which frequencies she can hear, but it's sad she cannot hear music anymore.  These will be in the for sale section soon...

Jul 3, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #23 of 31
Thanks for the help everybody, but nothing worked.  It was either too loud, or not loud enough.  I don't know which frequencies she can hear, but it's sad she cannot hear music anymore.  These will be in the for sale section soon...

Sorry to hear that :frowning2: I would assume its hard to hear music without being so loud it causes physical pain... so actually how do you communicte with her? Is speach still possible or do you use visual means?

Jul 3, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #24 of 31
At her age and way of looking at life, I don't think further hearing damage really matters. If op gives her 10 minutes of high volume, it will also not hurt.

Music heals. Do it. She probably won't use it on her own, so bring one of your and go for it. It's a really grand idea.

I don't think the px are going to be loud enough though. Yelling next to her ear is like 110dB right there.

Jul 3, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #25 of 31
At her age and way of looking at life, I don't think further hearing damage really matters. If op gives her 10 minutes of high volume, it will also not hurt.

Music heals. Do it. She probably won't use it on her own, so bring one of your and go for it. It's a really grand idea.

I don't think the px are going to be loud enough though. Yelling next to her ear is like 110dB right there.

Well yelling at the ear would actualy cause pain in my ear, not sure if it is the loudness induced pain that is the problem here or somerhing else.

Jul 5, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #26 of 31
At her age and way of looking at life, I don't think further hearing damage really matters.

Are you kidding me? Additional loss of hearing could further isolate her from other people and just make things worse.

Unfortunately, it seems the only potential solution is probably an expensive pair of hearing aids. The good ones are sort of like custom made IEMs with built in amplifiers that are specifically EQd to correct the person's hearing as much as possible.

Jul 5, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #27 of 31
Are you kidding me? Additional loss of hearing could further isolate her from other people and just make things worse.

Unfortunately, it seems the only potential solution is probably an expensive pair of hearing aids. The good ones are sort of like custom made IEMs with built in amplifiers that are specifically EQd to correct the person's hearing as much as possible.

I doubt she will even wear them. But hey, I don't want to pretend to know it all in this situation, but I stand by my recommendation. 10 minutes of high spl exposure won't do any harm.

The woman is 90, doesn't want to live anymore and truth be told, probably doesn't have many more years - I hope she get to be 120, but this is reality. Further hearing loss vs. music that might put a smile on her face... I would want my familiy to go for the music man!

Jul 17, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #28 of 31
We yell at her within 5 feet so she can hear (with hearing aids).  It's just something a bit beyond anything we can do for her at this point :frowning2:  It only took about 2-3 minutes before she was tired of it.

Jul 17, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #29 of 31
If your grandmother has custom hearing aids (not the kind you can buy at Costco), then there's probably not much you can do at this point :frowning2:

Jul 17, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #30 of 31
We yell at her within 5 feet so she can hear (with hearing aids).  It's just something a bit beyond anything we can do for her at this point :frowning2:  It only took about 2-3 minutes before she was tired of it.

Hey man, you tried. That deserves my respect. I hope there will be someone that does that to me when I am old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back