Can you enjoy lossy (compressed) music through your favorite headphones?
Jun 28, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #226 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you tell the difference between 256 kps CBR and 257 CBR? :wink:

I never used lower compression then 320KB/S.
tongue.gif

Jun 28, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #227 of 234
320 kb for me is where I ain´t majorly annoyed. 128 kb then I really have to be in a good mood for my headphones.

Speakers or HD 650 which I don´t own is a god bless for low quality recordings though
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #229 of 234
if you could train a cow to fart bass notes, and that cow had some groove, rhythm, and had some soul/access to lots of grass and hot lady cows for inspiration, then I would enjoy.

it's about the soul man!

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #231 of 234
I have no problem enjoying my music in mp3 files even though I have compiled most of my music cds in lossless files. I still listen to my cds directly from cd players. There is slight differences between cds and mp3 files to my ears if I listen very carefully but good music is good music to me.

I have several music servers that plays both cds and mp3 files and they both sounds great with proper equipments. Oh, btw, as long as mp3 file size is at least 196 vbr or greater. Anything less than that, it diminish my listening experience more than I care for. But if that is the only thing available for me at that time, I have no problem enjoying my music at any mp3 file size.

Jun 29, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #232 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you're saying that you can hardly hear a diff between these 2 files?
eek.gif

the hihat sounds wooshy and completely mangled in 128kbit at 0:06..

PS: they another cool test : Can you hear THIS? Musicians high frequency hearing test | NoiseAddicts music and audio blog

I can't hear 18Khz, in bit-perfect KS...

I guess. The difference is there but it's not something I'd pay too much attention to in a normal music listening session.

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #233 of 234
The better my gear gets the harder it is for me to listen to lossy files. When it was just me and my CX300 then lossy files weren't a problem. I began to notice things more with the 770, but lossy was still reasonably enjoyable. Now when I use the 990 w amp, or the Turbines then I can hear all sorts of "impurities" that make it hard to listen to. I find myself listening to almost any of my lossless files more than my former favourites that are lossy. The only time I can really enjoy lossy as much as lossless is when I'm on the go, ie. on the bus, walking in noisy places, etc. where the benefits of lossless are significantly reduced.

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:11 AM Post #234 of 234
the more it goes, the more I realize that JS is the showstopper w/ MP3...crossfeeding is a big no-no, and when it comes w/ distorted trebles(192JS and/or poor encoder), it's a HUGE no-no
eek.gif

EDIT: ah well it's more complicated than it seems : http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=36288

talking about "mp3" as a whole doesn't make much sense....you can't compare a lousy franhofer 128JS to a proper lame 320JS, if I got it right
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back